Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ironman makes it to other side

[Bonesmart.org] Ironman makes it to other side
@ironman60, your ROM is coming right along. You'll find that just living and doing all the getting around will help you to continue to increase ROM. You can do your own PT---and that's free and only takes your time. Think of what you can do with that $30 everytime you exercise on your own.:heehee:
 
According to my insurance, I am preapproved for 12 weeks, 3 x a week for PT, irregardless of my ROM. At 8 weeks, they are going to "ramp up" PT and do their best to imitate the conditions under which I work...climbing in and out of ambulances, lifting, carrying equipment, stairs, etc. I hope to be able to borrow an old LifePak 10 to carry around during PT...lol.
 
Had P.T. again today. Still at 115 after 2 whole days. Trying not to over do but I walk a lot. The last 2 sessions we hit pretty hard. I really love the stationary bike. I have the P.T. set it so it hurts pretty good for about a minute and a half & then it stops hurting & I go like heck for a few minutes & then cool down. It feels like the scar tissue is getting shredded but after I feel like I have a ton more ROM. Of course There is 50 more minutes of work left.
Today it felt great & I fell asleep for 3 hours when I got home with the ice bag on my knee. Still fatigue & lots of spasm type leg pain. ParamedicGirl sounding pretty crazy. Going pretty hard after doing both knees. I would not be able to do near what I can without having a good knee to lean on.
 
@ironman60 115 is pretty darn good at this point, I would think. Mt PT told me the goal for flexion is 120 which I fortunatley have exceeded. What is your extension? That is what I am having a problem with. My best so far is 8*.
 
First post op appointment with my surgeon...well, 15 minutes of it was with his nurse and I was granted 2 minutes in HIS presence...lol. The nurse removed the little hanging disolvable stitches, cleaned up the incision site, checked my ROM, reviewed exercises, reiterated I need to stay on the coumadin until 5/5, said I could drive if I felt comfortable and had not taken pain meds, could take a bath (if I can get in and out of the tub securely) and handed me my plastic card that identifies me as having "mechanical parts"...lol. My surgeon then entered the room, pronounced me to be in the top 5% of his bilateral TKR patients, assured me the pain on the right side of my knee, and the right side of my left knee were common and would ultimately go away. I felt pretty good after the appointment to know I am doing well since my own self confidence in my recovery is a little low.

And today at PT, Megan said I could move to a cane! And in another week or two, pool therapy will be added to "land" therapy.

@ironman60 my extension is at 0 after I am moving a bit. ROM on the right is actively 115 and on the left is 100 actively and 110 passively. I attribute this to my pre-op training and the little bit of work I did on increasing pre-surgery ROM. Luckily my insurance is supposed to continue with PT even though I may reach the ROM since I need strength and function training for my job.
 
Wow, paramedicGirl. That is pretty impressive. I just still can't believe you can do that great with both knees done.
Sounds kind of funny that you can drive & you can take a bath if you can get in the tub safely. Hope you can get in the car safely. :snork: I can't believe I got a letter in the mail today denying any more than 5 P.T. appts. I all ready had 7.
Said they notified my Dr. Hoping someone made a booboo. Maybe they saw how easy my job was. :rotfl:

Phil, My extension never got bad. The first time my new P.T. measured it was minus 5 degrees. Don't know why.
Maybe they put the knee in backwards.
 
Lol...backwards knee...I am jealous of you range of motion.

Glad to see you doing well, I always like to read about "normal" recoveries...I get freaked when I see what all can go wrong!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Tamsmom, you're doing pretty well also. Everyone heals a little different.
Plus I am a week ahead of you. Those early weeks go by pretty slow & seem like torcher.
I sure had a tough time. Finding this web site made me realize that it will get better but it will hurt & take time.
It will be a while yet but I plan on being good as new.
 
Got the P.T. denial straightened out today. They approved 12 more sessions.
Rained the last couple days & rain everyday in the 7 day forecast.
Not only is that depressing but I think it makes my knee stiffer.
On the positive side..........at least it is not snow.
 
w00t! As it turns out, I have no problem getting in and out of my Honda Civic!! Slow, but doable! However because I usually take some sort of narcotic prior to PT, driving there will not be an option. I'll be letting my mom drive until she leaves (Thursday of this week) and then the therapy place can pick me up. Not risking anything. I am going to have to put taking a long soaking bath on the back burner, as getting in and out of the tub in a regular fashion is not yet doable.

In the book "Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation" they recommended a "brazilian futebol" to help with exercises at home. I'm not advocating running out and buying one, but I have to say my experience has been positive thus far. When my knees start to feel really tight, I get out the "futebol" and do the exercises as noted in the book. It does help.
 
Dang I'm afraid to ask what a Brazilian futebol is so I will have to look it up.
Sounds like a bowl full of wax that you put your foot in to remove the hair. :rotfl:
Can ya tell that I am feeling better?
Got out yesterday & stopped at work saw the Police Chief, Administer, Clerk & my crew.
( I run the Public Works Dept.) The crew is having a great time with no boss.
Since I get paid till July 31st & then retire they haven't advertised for my replacement yet.
Great crew though. They know what needs to be done.
P.T. today. I am shooting for 120 degrees but wont be disappointed if it's not there yet.
 
O.K. so I am stuck at 115. It will get there.
Looks like I have a small infection at the top of my scar.
Have to go see the O S but I can't get in till Thursday.
Don't know if it is from the inside or the outside.
The rest looks totally healed and after 5 weeks it started oozing yesterday.
Maybe left part of a staple in.
 
I believe its a soccer ball . Ironman !! Anyways keep up the great work . You ROM will get there. Dont stress over it. Take care , iceman
 
@ironman60, I hope that the infection does not progress too far. Is your knee hot and red? Let us know what the OS says. Next week, my platoon rotates back to the station closer to me, so I plan on popping in to see them.

@icep707, yes, a brazilian futebol is a type of soccer ball. The exercises with the ball are kind of fun. I just have to be sure to sit in a chair and not on the sofa.
 
Knee not hot or red except a small circle of redness about the size of a penny around the spot.
Tired today, slept half the day away. Will see what the Doc says tomorrow.
 
Ironman, I had something that sounds very similar to what you have at the top of your scar. Red, hard area with a little open area that oozed some watery, blood tinged stuff at about 5 weeks. It was a suture abcess, which sounds worse than it is. The nurse practitioner squeezed a little stuff out, & lo and behold, there was a tiny string showing, which she pulled out. It was a suture which should have dissolved but didn't, so was trying to come out through the skin. Put me on a week's worth of antibiotics as a precaution, but no further problems. Scared me beforehand, though!
 
Hi kymammovavner, That is exactly what is happening & even the same timing.
The P. T. put a cover on it Tuesday & I took it off last night & it dried up to a hard scab.
I left it open & this a.m. when I got up & bent my leg the scab popped off & more juice came out.
I have P.T. at 10:30 10 miles away then see O S at 11:45 30 miles away.
Thanks for taking a little of the worry out of it & I'm betting you are right.
Will let you know soon.
 
Right on the money. Doc pushed around on it & found a stitch that didn't dissolve.
10 days antibiotic. He also said I could drive & gave me a couple cards that say I have metal parts.
I had a P.T. appt. just before the Doc & my knee bent at 120 degrees. Bring on the dancing girls, it's time to party.
Right after nap time.
 
@ironman60 I had a couple of stitches that were showing through - little white pieces of what looked like string. Very irritating whenever a pant leg happened to rub against them. My PT massaged the heck out of them this morning and both just fell off. No pain, no open sore, oozing, etc. I doubt there is anything to really be concerned about.
 
Glad to hear all is well. I was really worried beforehand because I had my second TKR scheduled for 2 weeks later, & I was afraid I was starting something nasty. I still have a noticeable scar where the hole was, but probably no one but me pays any attention to it. The 6 inch scars on each knee hog all the glory!
Enjoy the party!! haha
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom