Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to hear your news Sally @vet girl - that's fantastic! :)
@shrinkette , that's really funny, though I bet it wasn't at the time! My friend's son was born with a serious heart condition and spent a lot of the first couple of years of life in hospital... He was traumatised by a visit from a 'jolly' Santa when he was very tiny and wired up to all sorts of nasty machines... He's a teenager now, and still can't bear Christmas parties if Santa visits. Do these hospitals not think at ALL? :yikes: These days, they discharge people so quickly, that you're home by the time you're well enough to cope with odd things like that - if ever!
 
@Vetgirl I've been following your thread for a while now and just want to say how happy I am for you that you are once again on the other side. Doing a happy dance (with crutches) for you and praying for lots of wonderful recovery days in your future!!!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Vetgirl ,

We have shared the scary parts; the infections! Now it is time that we get to celebrate the "best of our life!" I wish you the very best in your recovery! I will be walking a half marathon in January along with @RunA42K , to bring awareness that there is life after revisions!:loveshwr::happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Vetgirl Sally, hope you are quiet and composed and allowing yourself to be waited on hand and foot, and that no pets (I don't know if you have any) are crawling over your incision:wink:

@shrinkette what a HORRIBLE story! I would have screamed my head off unless I was absolutely in possession of all my senses, which I never have been while in hospital. I only like clowns from afar-- like, the top row of the coliseum, and they are piling out of a VW bug! I kind of favor the psych ward escapee theory here.
@FionaW your story is even worse, isn't it. Both my kids were traumatized at early ages by clowns and/or large jolly Santas. What are they thinking in those hospitals-- "oh, the little children understand "clown" and since they are not hooked up to nasty tubes and machines (NOT) the clown will make them laugh." Ha!
 
I dropped by to wish the best of luck to a person who deserves the best of what the world has to offer. It hard to explain why things went the way it did but , Vetgirl you did it. Now all you have is to get it moving and than live life to the fullest. /do rememember to go slow that will be the hard part. My last replacememt is doing excellent and I will be at the finish line in a month or so. I think of all the time we had to spend on the side lines and all I can say is Look out world here we come. Tashia
 
@Vetgirl …when you first noticed something looked suspicious, but not diagnosed yet…. did you have a fluid build up around your incision. I'm asking because I have a large accumulation under the entire incision, it's about 5 inches wide, and the entire length of the incision and sticking out at least 5 inches. My Doctor doesn't want to aspirate yet because I'm not even 3 weeks post op….so he's not feeling too anxious about aspirating it… he feels we should wait a couple more weeks…. just curious if you had any fluid accumulation.

I'm not running a fever, it's tender to touch up towards the top of the incision but all looks great other then this huge accumulation of fluid. I've never experienced this after the other surgeries, so I'm a little concerned, yet not overly because I have no symptoms of an infection at all. I'm still feeling the recovery pain, and have a ways to go before I'd say the pain will let up so it's very difficult to say if my hip is still painful or if it's painful from the accumulation of fluid.

Kimberly
 
Ughhh @Tropic Lady/Special Lady I don't want to alarm you but that's just how my ongoing nightmare started. I was 3 weeks out and my incision was full of fluid and draining. I had no fever, my white count was normal, but wound up with a deep infection on the wound that resulted in a deep debridement surgery that left me with a gigantic hole and a wound vac. A third surgery, and possible removal of the hardware.for now they are convinced it was just the incision and not affecting the hip, but life with the wound vac for 2 months now had been really awful..I hope this is not the case for you.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Now, Special Lady, you know better that, not only is every patient individual, so is every surgery.
Makes no difference you didn't get that other times.

PS you don't have surgery dates in your signature ...
 
Hi everyone.....I'm sorry I've been MIA for the last few days I have truly just been enjoying the peace and quiet of home and my family. It's been so good coming home. Most of my recent visits to hospital have been ok but this time I really hated it. I think I've been there too much and the staff we abit complacent....you know like 'oh that's Sally' and because I've been very easy going and such I felt it reflected in some of the staff too.

I was so tired this time and no sleep....but at home....well it's quiet...I sleep so well and the feeling around here is very positive....hopeful is the word. You can feel the tension has moved out along with the spacer. :happydance: I'm moving around so well much better than the first surgery and the family can't help but comment. I was so lethargic first time round. This time I'm ok. I do have pain but it doesn't even rate compared to the spacer!!!!!

I've stepped back from everyone and am just enjoying being.....I caught up for a coffee with a friend yesterday when the kids and I went up the street....but otherwise I'm in a cocoon. Just being resting and relaxing. Hubby wanted me to go in the wheelchair to the shops but I refused. He tried again and I just said....if you could walk would you want to go back to the chair? He then let it go.

I took 2 crutches because I thought I might get tired. Great idea. My first walk to the chemist was tiring. Amazing how you feel you can take on the world but then you go into the world and it's a different story. Anyway I was up the shop for about 2.5 hrs. 1 of those having coffee and some of that sitting in the change room but yes I was tired but as the family said, if I'd done that 1.5 weeks after my first surgery...well actually I wouldn't of even attempted it. Tired and sore when I got home but ran into my best ever friend who was up the same shops and rang me. She was going to drop in and say hi, but when I said I had to go cause I needed a chair she met me and helped the girls with all their sizes and took me home.

Then I was resting and a friend took the girls to final cheer practice as they have a comp today and we get a call that DD2 has rolled her ankle....oh yes the same one that was in a boot for 6 weeks last year after my first surgery!!! Poor Wayne he'd just sat down after a busy day in the yard and off we go to get her. He told me not to go but when your child is hurt you can't just sit there and wait. We packed ice and the other pair of crutches.

Poor thing, she was so upset because she doesn't want to miss today's comp as she missed two last year when she slipped on an apple core at school!!!! People put your rubbish in the bin!!! Anyway it's swollen, she's not going. Poor Wayne thinks when will this ever end, I think. Anyway she's using my walker at home and underarm crutches and I'm on the elbow ones. She's also hijacked the recliner so I'm resting in bed which is next door so we can chat!!!

@Tropic Lady/Special Lady you need to get to a DR or emergency straight away. It may be nothing but if it is you will be sorry you waited.....I hope your running out the door now...or your just coming back. Each persons infection starts differently and it may be superficial but I wouldn't want to take the chance. I look forward to hearing what the Dr says and everything crossed that it's only superficial.

@shrinkette that story is crazy!!!! How scary not funny. Did you ever find out if it was staff or some random wandering the halls? And I agree @FionaW your story is even worse. Hope your recovering well

And as always @busylizzie and @dianehelen you are always in my thoughts.

Hope everyone else is going well with their journeys.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So happy for you. Your gonna have a beautiful summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
So good to hear from you. I'm still really struggling with the damn vac, but the hip is starting to feel pretty decent. You keep getting better and better x

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Sally! So awesome that you are able to go out and about! It sounds as though your healing is really moving along! I am so happy for you. <3
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy to hear things are moving right along, including you! I detect a smidgin of normalcy just starting to creep back. Atta girl!

To answer your question re Creepy Clown, no, I never found out anything, but then again I never asked. I even forgot to include that incident in my departure comments. Apparently it hasn't left any traumatic repercussions, but would not care for a repetition!
 
Sally, so good to hear from you and am so pleased you are able to get out. Sorry about DD2, what a drag right before a competition...but it sounds like you have a live-in recovery buddy...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom