Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sally, Its great if you need sleep, then please do sleep. Remember when you sleep the body is repairing. So good to hear all the good news. Keep it up girl. Vetgirl keep going in the direction you are going and do remember your joint is in charge for right now. Can hardle wait to hear that you are well enough to go shopping without any aid. But do remember you are to go slow and when its ready I wish we could do it together. take care and keep smiling. Tashia
 
It's good to hear your update, Sally, and great to hear you sounding so upbeat! :yay: Don't forget to rest, especially as you get out and about more!
 
SO, SO happy to hear that things are so much better this time through! That's such a good sign. Still praying for a full and smooth recovery for you Sally - and for your daughter, too. Poor thing!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
goes to @Vetgirl for staying positive on her journey down this very, very long recovery road that gave her a formidable detour along the way! I am so happy for you that things are now coming around full circle to where they should have been all along.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
 
Wow.....a gold star...thanks @bottomshollow and everyone else.

Well when I last left you DD2 had rolled her ankle and was unable to go to her Cheer comp. a friend took DD1 as they were only doing 1 stunt and it gave Wayne a chance to catch up and have some space by not having to go. DD1 understood and I wasn't going anyway. Well when DD1 came home she was limping and had hurt her knee. I swear I don't know why Wayne didn't walk out.....LOL totally .....but seriously can we please have an injury free life. We deserve it don't you think? For a few months even years pls.

Anyway so I made physio appts for both girls on Monday and off we went.DD1 went to school but we were unsure how DD2 would go, non weight bearing on crutches so she stayed home. We decided to head straight to the physio as she could get the swelling reduced and advise on x-rays etc. last time her injury didn't show up on x-Ray but ultrasound. Well Weren't we a sight, 2 on crutches, the other carrying a bag with my cushion and stuff.

Turns out we were right To head straight to physio as they said X-ray would be useless with the swelling so did some techniques to reduce that and then looked at DD1 who has a patella thingy which is quite common in teenagers who exercise a lot and have tight muscles. They strapped it and she had to go back this morning at 6.45 am to get it restrapped so she could play in her school netball comp. DD2 was allowed to weight bear as tolerated and was strapped as well still on crutches. Boy have we been going through the ice packs here and being kids they are often left in their beds and not put in the freezer after use :bignono:

They both needed repeat appts and when hubby picked us up I had the joyful news of telling an already overburdened and stressed man that it was about to get worse. The girls can no longer walk to school as Kate is on crutches, physio appts and me. At the end of the day if hubby couldn't work from home at times we would be well and truly stuffed. All he wanted to do was get into work early yesterday and then DD2 freaked out In the morning about having to get into school with my sister and so forth. So he went in late. I didn't have the heart to tell him about my OS appt so asked dad to take me and he text me and said he'd forgotten a dental appt and so I caught a cab there and he picked me up. Dad also took DD1 to the early morning physio appt and both girls to school. Thank goodness.

So the OS is really impressed with me, he says I look good and am going really well. Blood work looks good too. I can walk with 1 crutch and occasionally no crutch however I'm limping when I do that so he said it's better to walk well with 1 crutch than to limp with none. I don't have to sit on a pillow if I'm comfortable not doing so, I can wean off the stronger painkillers and we went through plan of how to do that. The dressing on the wound came off and he is really pleased with that. I had one tiny stitch which is above my big incision. This is the incision he uses to measure leg length during the surgery. He took that out which saved me going to the hospital wound clinic. It's a great look with your pants around your knees while Dr Gorgeous looks at your wound.....and hopefully not your stomach!!! I wonder if he calls me Miss Stunning....I'm sure he doesn't!!!!!

My pain has been really great. Probably as they didn't have to do much bone work this time (the femur was gone and drilling done) but I'm getting more pain around the incision and that's due to scar tissue he had to go through after all my surgeries. I can really feel the infection is under control......as as I look back I can see how sick I was. Even family and friends who have seen me can say they see the difference between my first and this surgery. Sure I'm tired this time but before I was truly annilated. I can so see the difference. Everyone can. OS agrees that from the beginning the infection was grumbling away.

I did a lot yesterday!!!! I begged hubby to let me do some washing ( he likes to be in control while I'm not doing it even told me the way he finds it works best!!!! Like I've never done washing before....but hey I'll oblige....I owe him big time :friends:) And he said fantastic. So I did 2 loads and put them on the line mainly on hangers. No lifting, a bit of bending safely, I went upstairs twice, showered, dressed and tidied a little before cab came, went out to Dr, then dad took me home but DD1's ring from her birthday had finally arrived so I asked dad if we could pop in and get it from the shops. Stupid me goes 'I'll be right with 1 crutch!!!! Um wrong it was hurting around the incision muscles. Anyway got home, was stuffed royally and then went out that night for a talk at school....unfortunately had to walk a fair way....then couldn't sleep from the hype of the day....so many texts and organising appts and lifts for the girls etc.

Then I backed it up today by going to DD1's netball comp. early start but home by 1pm....I should of left earlier!!! I tend to mask my tiredness and try to keep up with everyone and you know what....I can't. Stupid me!!! :no-fin:). Anyway it's hard when you are relying on lifts and I was hyper active because it was so nice to be out walking etc. I went on 2 crutches and walked about the length of 7 netball courts, we had the wheelchair for me to sit in as portable chairs put me way to low with restrictions. Anyway, I got home sat for a while with DD1 and then went to bed for a 2 hour snooze and am still in bed resting. Tomorrow will be a down day and then I've stupidly agreed to a lunch on Friday which I think I'm going to say no to now.

My big concern is I'm a huge optimist and think I can do everything but it's only 2 weeks today since surgery. I used to often overcommit and hubby would the. Hear me say afterwards WHY did I offer all that??? Yes girl!!!!! P expel pleaser.....meet Sally. :wave:I'm worried that People will start expecting too much from me and I'm still not good at saying no. I developing a lovely friendship with this girl and the lunch sounds lovely. its one with a speaker etc.....look I may still go. I will see how I feel tomorrow.

I am really surprised that I Can almost reach my toes and even more so that my body is letting me. First time around....I just couldn't. Dr says that's ok but showed me some moves to avoid for 3 months...more the twisting and bending or twisting ones.

So, so far life is looking good post infection. Today Bill @fulafoto got his date for surgery so let's all pray that @busylizzie is doing well too and that @dianehelen ordeal is soon over with and her infection doesn't get to the joint.

Sorry for the long post....I should check in more regularly but .....I'm busy reading up on my new projects and making some photobooks while there are some good specials on and I have the down time.

Thanks for all your support....hope you are all well!!!! :SUNsmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond
@Vetgirl, all this going and doing may catch up with you in an unpleasant way. Please take it easy and stop over extending yourself. You can still do more than you were before---and none of it is going anywhere---it'll be there waiting for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Oh our Dear Sally, I am so happy you are feeling up to the adventures you are having (yes, walking 7 netball courts is an adventure, when you figure that a few short weeks ago you were house bound and going to the bathroom was adventure!). Anyway, it sounds like you are pushing your limits then resting when needed. Keep up the positive healing attitude!
P.S. the trials and tribulations of DD1 and DD2 are just more fodder for your book!
Peace
 
@Vetgirl, you might want to consider a thread title change now that your status has changed.

(I love it when I can suggest this because positive things are now happening.)
 
bottomshollo, :goodpost: :iagree: I was thinking the same thing and with everyone else Please, Please, vetgirl slow down. :iagree: I know feeling good is great but you need the time to heal. You have been through so much so please show down. Take care Tashia
 
hi sally @Vetgirl . just checking in on you. sounds great. and interesting that you can compare the two surgeries right away and see how much better this is. you said that your concern is that you're an optimist. well, that's been clear all along and I would say, a good thing. that doesn't contradict taking it easy and learning to say no. as for your girls, well, if they didn't appreciate you before, (maybe they did) they sure will be able to empathize more now. so wishing your entire family speedy recoveries, and a lot of strength to your trusty husband.
 
@Vetgirl Sally, your post is indeed good fodder for your book. It would be funny if there weren't so many injured females along the way! You do sound marvelous, and pulling back and cocooning is a great idea-- you can have lunches and whatnot in a few more weeks!! :) :) Thanks for posting :)
 
Better .... And better! So pleased for you Sally but do heed all those well meant warnings about overdoing things..... Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom