Hip Infection INFECTION-A long and lonely journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending tons of good wishes and healing vibes your way @keepmovin. I am so glad you're through the surgery and will be going home soon. Here's to a great healing experience. You certainly deserve it. :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning everyone! I came home last night, 3 days after surgery! Right now, I have normal discomfort, swelling and a little pain that is typical after surgery. It feels good, healthy, the nerve pain I had in the front groin is gone!!!:spin: When my daughter and husband came to visit in the hospital, she could see a huge change in me just looking at my facial reactions. Before, I looked like I was being tortured and it was hard for her to see me that way. Although I still have a long way to go, I feel calmer, more relaxed. So enough of the past, I will now focus on my recovery of my brand new hip!

This is the fourth time my hip has been operated on, so I do realize my recovery will be slower. My restrictions are still very restrictive!:chinstroke: I will have the 90 degree rule AND only 30 % weight bearing on my leg. When I spoke to my surgeon, he at first said six weeks and then we assess my progress. He saw how sad I looked - I wear my emotions on my face - so he changed it to 4 weeks. It is what it is.

Like my friend in Sweden, @ Issa65, I believe I have the Stryker dual mobility device which is used for people going through revisions. I will confirm this later, I was a bit foggy, still really foggy now, when we were discussing my recovery. My roommate also had surgery on her hip due to dislocation and she was given the dual mobility device. I was so lucky to have a great roommate. When we were awake and feeling OK, we talked and shared our life's stories. When I talked, she listened and when she talked, I listened! It was a perfect roommate match! We made each other laugh, the best medicine one can receive second to those pain meds! :console2: I could have stayed one more night but when my roommate left early afternoon, it was too quiet for me. My husband came at 7:30pm, home by 8:30pm.

As I shared in my last post, the only problem I had with the operation was the lack of feeling I had from the waist down for such a long period of time. I've been through five operations on my hips and never felt this sensation before. Yes, I panicked, I cried and was unconsolable until that epidural was removed. Slowly, my feeling returned! Your immediate recovery within the first 12 hours depends on the methods of the anesthesiologist. Maybe he was a little green and inexperienced, but it was obvious that too much was given and the needle went in at an odd angle. My operative right hip had more sensation than my good left leg! When PT came by to get me out of bed, my left leg just buckled beneath me. This was an experience I never want to repeat!

So today is day 3 after my operation, 1st day home. I will share my 'recovery after infection/revision' as it may be different than a normal THR. I guess I should rename my title too. Something to think on today.

Right now I am icing, elevated, took my many medications, had some breakfast and enjoying flowers that I received, one is a huge, beautiful lily that fills the kitchen with a lovely scent. It's a dreary day outside but Spring is in my kitchen!:flwrysmile:My other daughter is coming up from Virginia to help this weekend. She'll be here late tonight.

This is a holiday weekend so however everyone celebrates, have a wonderful weekend! Spring is the time for new beginnings, a fresh start, blessings to all!
 
Awww, @keepmovin, how heartwarming it is to hear you sounding so happy and so well! You came home a day early, and have your daughter coming to help, and lovely flowers -- sounds heavenly. You did luck out in your roommate, and that is great, too. Glad that the slow coming out of anesthesia resolved itself. So happy for your new hip!
 
hi Debbie....I am so happy you are ok...and at home.....I am doing good...but yes its a bit different from my normal THR before..a bit slower progress...I get tired walking faster..but the doctor told me this time it would take a bit longer to get back to normal...In Sweden we have an insurance (everyone in the country) so I have all pain, expenses and sallary paid and even a big sum of money ...all infections are paid for alot so it helped me with my economy...I have been at home now 7 months...its crazy...I hope you can soon put all weight on leg and start walking normally...I think about you every day and your progress....be strong and keep in touch...hugs Isabelle
 
@keepmovin - Your fresh new beginning sounds wonderful! I hope you had an enjoyable holiday weekend. May your strong spirit and upbeat attitude carry you through a smooth and steady recovery! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Issa65, so nice that your country takes care of you like that. The cost of medicine is so expensive and here in the States, we the people still hold the responsibility of our own healthcare. However, I have been fortunate that my surgeon and the hospital have been good to me. I will have to see how it all gets played out within the next 6 months if everyone involved with my care will be so kind. So far, I have only had to worry about myself and getting better and not bills coming through.

Thank you @Readysetgo and @Arlene56 for your kind thoughts. I still have a ways to go but this surely is 'new beginnings' for me. Now that I have very little pain, I can focus more on a healthy recovery.:yes:

Today is one week out from surgery and I am comfortable. Even though I cannot put weight on my leg, it still feels like a 'real' hip in there and not some hard, unmovable piece of cement! :oyvey: I can actually swing my leg around at the joint and it gives me little resistance, moves pretty freely. I have set myself up for a few house projects I can actually start and complete even though my mobility is limited. Home PT will come in for a few more weeks, and we have agreed that although I am still non-weight bearing on my leg, there are still exercises we can do to straighten my muscles. I will continue to do these in a gentle manner being mindful to stop before I feel any pain. Already, I am amazed at what my muscles remember to do!:yahoo: I know the best thing for my hip is walking but until I can do that, we will concentrate on the other muscles groups in the hip and leg to make the transition easier.

I really have no other choice but to go 'Slow and Steady':ice:
 
I went for a walk about 2 kilometers I was really tired and my other knee almost gave in....so I have to take shorter walks...yes all meds are free here and the OP are all free it all comes from our taxes....
 
So glad to hear your doing so much better, I'm close "I Hope " to being full weight bearing soon, my next appointment is April 8, I'll fine out then, so I know how disappointing it is to be told to go so slowly..
 
Hi @Pony ! I was just coming onto this site when you were going through your surgery so just took a few moments to get acquainted with your story. You and those crutches have been 'friends' for quite awhile, I see! I hope you get the all clear April 8th! :) I'll be watching how you progress once you are free to go! How much weight are you bearing at this point? Sounds like you are walking around a lot.

I noted that you were/are having problems with dry and peeling hands and feet. I have the same thing which is from the constant use of the walker and crutches with the palms of my hand. They made note of it before my last surgery because they don't like any open wounds before surgery. For me, I'm sure this will get better once I am off the crutches completely.

Hope to see you 'galloping' along real soon!:flwrysmile:
 
Speaking of medical bills, I just received a letter from Blue Shield of CA and the letter said they were reviewing the bill. Now get this, it is only one bill (I'm pretty certain it must be the hospital's bill) and it's for $138,000!!!! I was in the hospital for three nights...:yikes:

I'm so happy for you @keepmovin! Your journey has been long and difficult, so I can imagine each improvement will feel like a miracle! You are always in my prayers!
 
Yea, I hate/love crutch's lol, want to get rid of them forever but appreciate them at the same time..
Hip problems for years then broke which made it so much worse, I'm putting at this point most of my weight, he told me to gradually put more and more on it, still limping when I get tired later in the day even with crutch's but at times I'm using my cane in mornings without limping, but I think its more of a habit instead of need lol, hubby says practice walking slowwwwww lol..
 
Hi All,
Time for an update as I've been away from the site for a while. Things got really busy around here and I had to prioritize to catch on house and work stuff. Also, had a little set back and just didn't feel like venting...

....last Tuesday, PT came in and we both agreed I was doing very well. There's not much more she can do or I can do until I can begin walking again so we just concentrate on strengthening the muscles to prepare for "the big day"! My pain levels are very low, swelling is present but decreased considerably, ROM very strong. So we took a leap and introduced a few new exercises but with her help. All was well until after I took a shower and suddenly had this sharp pain at the center of my thigh. The pain was pretty intense when I put pressure on it. It felt like a knot had formed under the skin.

I spent the rest of the day icing and resting. And then my mind started playing tricks on me and has been ever since - the fear that the infection might come back. It suddenly dawned on me that I will be cursed with these thoughts for some time to come. Ever little set back or questionable pain that I have will bring back these fears, especially when restrictions are lifted and I begin walking on my own.

The knot did subside, but I still have a slight lump on the thigh to the left of my incision. The incision itself is fine. The home nurse was in on Friday and we discussed it and she just made notes of it in her report. I was discharged that day. Today, the PT came back and I told her the situation. She feels everything is fine and what remains is just a little swelling and to keep icing and resting until it goes away. She knows how I'm feeling, we tried talking it out, but the logical, practical side of me has temporarily shut down. I'm only 2 weeks out today, I see the surgeon in another two weeks. I have a lot of things on my plate right now so the distraction might be a good thing until I see the surgeon. I really believe everything is fine and think this is post-surgery fears given my history. I think going forward we will have to discuss an action plan for the next year which will help my frame of mind and will keep everyone informed of the progress.

All that aside, I am doing well. I actually feel 'muscle memory' returning as my legs just want to get moving, and once I get movin, I pray that I can 'keepmovin' forward!

Staying positive....have a great day everyone!:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom