Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection INFECTION-A long and lonely journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
....and this is a long read!:yes:

The emotional side of things:

I wish I had found Bonesmart 2 years ago. Had I been on the site right after my second hip operation, I might have taken the problems I began having more seriously and not just summed it up as a setback in recovery. I think that’s the dilemma we face after our surgeries. Is this pain we are having something serious or is this just normal comings and goings of our recovery? I had my operation mid- October of 2013. I quickly recovered and was up moving around almost without crutches two weeks later. My 6-week check-up was remarkable, ROM 100%. Ironically, it was that day, on the way home when I was hit suddenly with exhaustion, flu like symptoms, a slight chill. I went home and rested summing it up to “over doing it” in the city. It was the holiday and my husband and I spent the day enjoying the festive atmosphere. I quickly recovered but then a week later, I experienced a sudden and excruciating pain in my joint, like someone took my leg and twisted it 180 degrees! That was the beginning. The infection wasn’t discovered until it came to the surface almost 3 months later in mid-February. I had no seepage, no pain at that point, no fevers, just a bulge and redness – it looked like cellulitis which is what my GP thought it was. My surgeon was contacted and infection confirmed a few days later.

This past Friday night, I thought I would dig back into Bonesmart to find anyone who had a similar experience with infections. I stumbled upon @Vetgirl who had gone through surgery Sept. of 2013 and discovered she had an infection in Dec. of 2013. This was exactly when my infection turned up. Had I been on Bonesmart then, things might have been different for me now. I would have followed her throughout her ordeal and perhaps I would have contacted my surgeon sooner. Nonetheless, I continued to read her posts and spent the whole weekend reading her story from beginning page 1 to the end page 63. And then she disappeared. It caught me off-guard because I desperately wanted to read a happy ending for her.

She spoke passionately with dignity and grace her struggles from the beginning of her infection up until her posts end. There was power, strength and energy in her words, but there was humor there too. You could feel the anger in her words as she struggled with this battle fighting the beast inside her. She fought long and hard to regain her old life. It just seemed it was one battle after another. She didn’t seem to have a moment’s peace with it all. The only difference was I was able to find peace from all this for about 15 months whereas her journey was continuous. She expressed herself and spoke the words I felt but couldn’t express. She became my voice for me and I wanted to thank her and tell her I know what she’s going through because I’m there too. But then I would laugh because obviously I couldn’t. I was reading the past, what was already done.

And then she spoke for me again, on the matter of having your friends and family by your side, waiting for the support that never shows up. The calls that never come. No one was really there for her – people you think are your friends or close family. This is when you find out who your friends really are. Of course, her husband was always there and her kids but no one came calling to find out how she was, no one stopping by and if they did, it became all about them, not her. It was then that I wish I could have stepped into a time capsule and transported myself back to the past, even then, I would have to find a way to merge the oceans as I am in the USA, she lives in Australia.:umm: I not sure when I started to cry if it was for her or for me. Maybe it was for both. This is how I was feeling about the people around me. There were so many promises and good wishes but that’s where it ended.

She vowed things would change for her once this was all behind her. Someone posted to her: You have been given enormous wisdom and compassion but it comes at such a high price”. So true. But, I’m not sure how it ended for her. After her spacer came out and she received her new hip, her life returned and she was so happy. But then she dislocated her hip and sadly, another revision was scheduled. My heart sank.

Besides the emotional side of things, I learned a lot from her thread. It is filled with helpful articles shared to her from the bonesmart community about infections and how they work in the body. There is a tremendous amount of research being done and hopefully in a few years’ time science will have a clear understanding as to how we can prevent infections from occurring on devices placed into the body. @Vetgirl also had a team of professionals who guided and advised her along the way. I learned quite a bit as she generously shared what she learned. I still find most of this a challenge to understand and may reach out to our forum board for some clarifications.

I wish @Vetgirl well. Words cannot adequately express how you have helped me during this time. Thank you for sharing your story. I just wish we could have met sooner.

With all my heart, I am eternally grateful!:friends:
:flwrysmile:
 
HI @Krista! Sorry I missed your post and late in responding! I haven't been on my thread in a while. How did your aspiration go? It sounds like there isn't a concern about infection present. Didn't your MRI show any concerns with your soft tissue?

How are you doing this week?:hi:
 
Hi, @keepmovin! Still waiting for results. Don't think they will show anything since they really weren't able to aspirate any fluid, which is good news! He tried in 4 places, and injected fluid in to those places to see if he could then get some fluid out. Not much joy there, I'm afraid. It didn't hurt much, except for when he injected fluid, then OUCH! The MRI showed torn gluteal tendons, which is what I am going to have surgery for soon, and will schedule as soon as the aspiration results come in. In waiting mode...everything is the same! Taking this period of difficult mobility and making something useful out of it. I have done two sets of income tax returns and caught up on all of our paperwork, including filing a year's worth of papers that was over a foot high. When I finally do have my tendon repair, there won't be one piece of paper out of place in my house! I can't vacuum, but papers I can handle.

What a moving tribute you made to Vetgirl and her journey through infection. Sure hope all turned out well for her after the second revision. Goodness, how much bad luck can one person have! I hope you are doing ok with your spacer, and that it isn't too uncomfortable.
 
Oh my @keepmovin, your two posts literally brought me to tears. Words cannot express how moving your story is and the sadness I felt while reading your journey. For someone who doesn't talk much, you have such an eloquence with words. You brought me into your world, as though I was living it. You will end up being that light for someone else who comes along, as @Vetgirl was for you. Prayerfully you are coming to the end of a long and difficult journey and there will only be sunshine in your future. You will be in my prayers each and every day dear one! God Bless!
Cindy
 
@Krista, 'Organizing' paper' is exactly what I've been doing!:snork: We have so many old files, too, that have to be discarded so I thought this was a good time to go through it all! I also prepared all our taxes in an organized fashion. We don't do them, however, we have a friend who does our taxes and our daughter's taxes. Are you an accountant? This week it's all about cleaning and organizing once again. All the bills need to get paid and today I'm placing a big food order in to be delivered on Thursday.

If you have to go back in for another surgery, I'm glad to hear it's not because of infection! Is repairing the gluteal tendons a difficult surgery to recover from? Was your surgeon able to explain how this happened?

Have a great day!:SUNsmile:
 
As I read through your experience you have experienced. The one thing that helps me to continue to push to find a solution with my ongoing issues is locating forums such as this for others that have had similar issues.
Even today I find trying to get enough rest and pain relief is like jumping hurdles for the first time. I haven't been able to work for several years and things that most take for granted are a challenge for me.
Sure hope you finally get some relief soon. Everyone deserves to be pain free!
 
Thank you @Cynthia777 ! Sometimes it just takes the right moment and the right person to uncork your own feelings and thoughts. I tend to keep my feelings 'close to the vest' never realizing that I bottle things up so tight that a small trigger can send me to tears! :bawl: This past weekend set me up for that 'perfect storm'!

It's been a stressful couple of years and lately I've been reassessing my life once this is behind me. I have spent my life serving people, volunteering my time to be there where there was a need. I was the one who filled in the gap while everyone else was moving on with their lives. Before my last surgery, I was volunteering my time at our county food pantry and have been doing this for over 20 years. I work in the office and deliver food to clients. Lately it's become a thankless job and I suddenly was struck with that 'empty tank' syndrome, and now have lost the joy in helping others at the expense of myself. There were a couple of events that have led me to feel this way. The signs have been there for me to make the move!

When I sat down this weekend and quietly read @Vetgirl story, it allowed the right moment for the floodgates to open up to 'cleanse the system! I can't thank her enough! However, inasmuch as she did a tremendous service to all of us here with her story, I am saddened that her journey may not have ended well.

I am hoping this next surgery is the surgery to end all joint surgeries! Wouldn't mind maybe considering a fun type of surgery like an eye lift surgery! :heehee:....Actually, I do need this. My eye Dr. told me I would benefit from this. But don't see this happening for quite some time!

Thank you for your prayers!

Blessings,
 
There's nothing like a "floodgate" of tears to help cleanse the soul. I mean, God didn't give us the ability to cry for no reason at all. You have mentioned your "thankless" volunteering and unfortunately in today's world, this is all too common, believe me I know! I won't go into any details, but suffice it to say, I've experienced this first hand with all too many employees. It seems the more I helped some of them financially, the more resentful they became. A different situation as yours, but similar in the fact that so many people in our world today are "all about me". A very sad state of affairs!

I took a long look at your avatar this morning and I find it quite interesting. It seems to depict many of the emotions you have mentioned above (reflective and somewhat lonely come to mind).

On a lighter note, sometime in the future, maybe we will meet up again on a face/eye lift surgery forum! :heehee:

I see brighter days ahead for you my friend!

God Bless!!!!!
 
Debbie, it feels so good getting all that paper tamed, doesn't it! I have loads more that I could do, as my files need winnowing, and I may get to that as well before my surgery. No, I am not an accountant; we use TurboTax!

Recovery this time will be different. From reading the new surgeon's website, I will be non-weight bearing (toe touch only) for 6 weeks, which will be much harder, as I was full weight bearing before. And I will have to wear a brace to limit my movement for about 6 weeks (I think). That will actually be good, as it is so easy to move in a way that can tear the delicate repairs to the tendon/muscle. The brace will prevent that. But, I think (I hope) that there will be less pain and swelling overall because it won't involve cutting bone and putting in the prostheses that are involved in THR. The doctor doesn't know how the tears happened. Could just be a matter of non-healing, or re-tearing afterwards. He'll know better when he gets in there. We will see if stitches tore, or whatever.

I'm off to vote then go out for a nice lunch with my sister. Hope you have a good day!
 
@Krista, Non-weight bearing for 6 weeks? :groan: Well, that will be difficult, no getting around that one. That's what I have now. Let me know if you need help with that. Took time but I learned a few tricks along the way.

Curious about the tear too. See what your surgeon says once he gets in.

Hope lunch was delicious!:flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777 regarding my avatar - actually, this was taken during my brighter days during our trip to California/Pebblebeach the Fall of 2014. A few months prior, I had my washout/debridement, 6 weeks IV picc line, then oral antibiotics. I was infection free for quite some time and feeling terrific! We did so much during my 15 month remission!:yes!:

I was really trying to upload a picture of me climbing a granite mountain in Yosemite National Park but the picture was coming out sideways. I was getting so frustrated so next to it was this picture of me on the beautiful beaches of CA. I guess it does look kind of 'reflective' of me but not lonely.:wink:

My lonely journey is now! 'Long and lonely' as my title so adeptly states! :unsure:

But that eyelid surgery is on my bucket list. I actually have trouble seeing due to the droopy eyelids! It's a genetic thing - my Father has it. I should have had it done years ago but these hip surgeries got in the way.
 
Lunch was great, and we had money-saving coupons, too! I will take you up on the offer of how to manage while wearing a brace as soon as I officially know that I will be having one. I am anxious to move forward. I hope I get that call soon, clearing me to get the surgery scheduled. Time is going s-o-o-o-o-o-o slowly.

May you get out of that brace, soon, Debbie!
 
Hi Keepmovin,
I saw you were looking for hip infection buddy's. On the Hip recovery forum page, click on a red infection prefix and list of members who have had infections will pop up.
All the best,
 
As hard as the past 3 months have been, it did go rather quickly! In 2 days, I will finally be able to think forward towards recovery and not stuck in limbo as I have been these last few months. Tuesday I go in to have this spacer removed and a new hip put in. :yahoo:

I'm not sure why I'm so tired but can only think it's a combination of an increase in my activity level to get a lot of things done before surgery and also increase in anxiety. This is the fourth surgery on my right hip and hope it recovers well without complications.

Friday was pre-admissions and everything went well. My pre-admission Dr. was surprised that my pain levels were still quite high as most people's levels settle considerably lower than my 7-8! How I got through this is a mystery, but perhaps we are all stronger than we think when our limits are tested. All my lab work and blood results came back normal. Negative on the infection. I can only hope that the protocol followed was the right one and it worked for me. I have spent the last few days reading up on prosthetic joint infections and the mystery behind why they happened and how they react in our bodies. It has been very helpful to read other people's stories who have suffered through the same misfortune. Without the help of the Bonesmart community, and the plethora of information available on this site, this journey would have been unbearable.

Spring is finally here! We have warm weather and sunshine ahead this week! And, the vision of walking pain free and infection free is finally within reach!:wink:

See you all soon!

Blessings,
 
@keepmovin, oh my goodness, Tuesday! So glad that the results from the hip aspiration and other tests all proved negative for infection. And all the best to you for Tuesday - really, 4 ops on one hip are too many! This one will surely be the charm. I am hoping this horrible time of pain and anxiety will soon be over! Yes, the additional things you are doing to prepare and worry about the op must make you so tired, not to mention the high levels of pain. Looking forward to hearing from you when it's over!
 
@keepmovin Your posts are so encouraging! Thank you for being so transparent. The flood gates opened when I was reading your story and Vetgirl. I needed a good cry today.

Good luck on Tuesday and know that I will be praying for you:angel:
 
I hope your surgery goes well and the you are able to get past all the suffering soon!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom