Hip Infection INFECTION-A long and lonely journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, you have been busy! Too bad about that new pain in your thigh. Sounds like you are being very sensible about it, although I get why you will always have that niggling fear about the return of the infection, and how could you help it! You went through hell, and it is still fresh in your mind. Hope that it feels better daily and that you have good news when you see the surgeon in two weeks. And that's a good idea to have an action plan. I find that a plan always helps me to lessen anxiety. Glad you are positive and want to "keep movin"! ♥︎♥︎♥︎

I can imagine the fears you face with all you've been through, I would be the same way. Hopefully the swelling is just from the new muscle strengthening you've been doing. It seems ones muscles could knot up after having not used them for some time. How are you feeling now? I'm sorry I missed your update, but it seems I'm not getting any alerts anymore. Prayers and hugs sent from SoCal! :friends:

Hi @keepmovin
I've been keeping up with your thread & realized that we haven't heard from you in a few days, so wanted to check in. Hopefully, you're doing g well & continuing with the "slowly but surely" recovery method.
Please know I'm sending positive thoughts & prayers for a care-free recovery.
SweetPea69

Hi @keepmovin, I just caught up with your thread. I'm glad that you got the surgery done and had a nice roommate. I'm sorry to hear that the PT has caused some problems. I know what you mean about the fear. I am the same way. It's easy to panic. In your case, it's very understandable. I hope that you are resting and healing, and that you feel more secure. There's plenty of time. You have been through so much...

Hi everyone!
I left here a few days ago and all seemed quiet, now came back on and I seemed to be sorely behind! I am moving around with ease, so I'm actually able to catch up on much needed housework, clean up and purging of stuff in the house. It's a project we started back in the fall but had to put on hold due to holidays then my operations. My husband has been so busy with the extra load that he has put so much on the back burner. W e are slowly trying to bring it forward.
First, Today is our 35th wedding anniversary:martini: I am very lucky, fortunate, blessed to have him in my life! The last few years have been the ultimate test of "for better or worse" .... the only time I won the lottery - my choice of men!:wink: Five years ago, I had my first hip operation on our 30th anniversary, April 11, 2011. Things went so well that we did the unthinkable five days later. We flew to Bermuda with our two girls to celebrate a number of occasions. We had it planned months before and the surgery was suppose to be after the vacation. The surgery date was changed a month before. The first question I asked my surgeon was permission to go through with our plans. If all went well, he would give me the clearance. It was a short flight, I had VIP treatment the whole way through, quite nice actually. Everyone at the airport, flight, on the Island and at the hotel were more than accommodating. Even the tourists were there to help. We still talk about that vacation and wonder what the :censored: we were thinking to do such a thing! My left hip has been a "rock" through the past 5 years. Much stress has been placed on that hip to handle the load of two hips all this time but it's still good. It's my 'forever' hip!

In my last post I expressed concern over pain I experienced in my hip after doing some very mild PT. It's still there, have rested and iced it to death and my mind is still playing tricks but by keeping myself busy, I forget about it so that's what I'm doing. I think I might have isolated the problem to internal stitching? It feels like a stitch pulling inside. I have a note to ask my surgeon when I go in next week. When I stretch my leg out behind me, I feel it. When I press down on the spot, there's a sharp pain in a very small area. But, enough of that. Not much I can do until next week.
Otherwise, swelling comes and goes but manageable, range of motion gets better each day, even with non-weight bearing, I work on simple exercises and the strength in my leg is returning. Still looks like a "stick" but plenty of time to build that up.

@Krista, @Cynthia777, @SweetPea69 Thank you for your warm thoughts. I have to get back on your threads to catch up. Think I left Krista planning her 'spa' getaway:yes: and Cynthia, you were fighting a nasty cold:oyvey:!
@Hip Hip Hooray!, You're thread was one of the first I read when I first joined. I still enjoy your up-dates! You have such a flare for words and expressing yourself well. I think I will forever have the fear in me, but have to learn to control that. I've always felt invincible as I've been healthy all my life. If I can't manage this on my own, I'm not afraid to ask for help done the road!

Have a great day all!:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

I ALWAYS just love reading your posts (very entertaining and enjoyable)! Wow, you were sure brave taking that trip! I'm happy you could look back with fond memories! You sound like you're doing fairly well. Someone else has mentioned that feeling as though a stitch is being pulled (now don't take this to the bank, but it may have been @Arlene56?)

My cold turned into bronchitis, however I'm feeling a bit better today and tomorrow I have my pre-op testing, so should I need a course of antibiotics the timing couldn't be better. :)

You take it easy now and don't go overdoing it. Hugs!

@keepmovin
Glad you are doing well. I have the same feeling near my incision. Its like a stinging and pinching sensation. It hurts or is sensitive to icing. Don't really know why. Will be asking Dr next wk. Is your incision sensitive to the icing? Josephine told me it was internal healing. My mind wanders too but there is no redness.
I went to PT today and they used a foam roller on me. She went near the incision. I was apprehensive and if it was uncomfortable, she would stop. But boy did it feel good. I went into pt stiff and came out relaxed. I loved it. I am only going once a wk. May step it up later if needed.
I hope the weather is nice for you so you can get some sunshine. :yes:
Have a good evening

Hi @Arlene56 - Well, maybe that's what it is then. Makes sense so right now I'm going to put my worries to bed and move on until my follow up with the surgeon. I've used the foam roller in the past and found it quite helpful to relieve back issues, never tried it on the leg. I'll keep this in mind when my restrictions are lifted and I go through the next phase of recovery!
Sunshine's been around, just cold! Today it should clear up and we are seeing a warming trend this week. It feels sooo good to sit outside and feel the warm sun on my face - the best therapy!:SUNsmile:

Enjoy the day!:flwrysmile:

hallo my friend....I know what you mean,...my scar actually healed well but in 2 spots its a bit of fluid which still comes out..and I am at the nurses once a week to change bandagde...I get these thaughts as well about the infection but I try to stop my brain telling me bad stuff...my setback is my orher knee....as I walk every day outside and have learned to walk normally the right knee is very locked and at times gives in as I walk..a sharp pain and then it goes away...its not unusual as I have overloaded this knee for 6 months...its actually more swollen then the operated side....I get ideas that its used up...I walk rather long walks into town but afterwards I sleep...it wears me out so much..still using 2 crutches...it seems this time recovery will be a bit longer...but I am happy anf feeling good...I hope you will soon be back to normal...they are planning to take blood samples in may just to see its all fine...I am going to my first visit to my PT we do this after 6 weeks not before...Buy the way I am driving my car 1 week now feels so free....does your sore leak fluids?? I am a bit worried about mine its 6 weeks now almost and still fluids coming out but she says its normal...have a great evening many hugs

@Issa65
Here is a picture of a foam roller from Amazon.It's just a piece of foam rolled into a cylinder. There are some you can purchase with ridges of them but I don't think that would be good for me. I probably will purchase one as it felt soooo good. Very apprehensive but it was relaxing. When she rolled over close to my knee it actually tickled.
My incision does not leak. But @Mrs.Missed has or had a weepy incision. May want to reach out to her or read her threads.
Maybe your PT can use a foam roller on you very gently??
Hope that helps.
Have a nice evening.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 263
Greetings @Issa65! :hi:
It is so nice to hear from you! I think about you often and pray that you are recovering strong and healthy! I am sorry to hear that your knee is giving you problems, but I suppose we are bound to have weakness in our legs and knees when we haven't used them in months! I am sure I will run into the same conditions - more my lower back than my knees though. I am still non-weight bearing but have no pain. I have my check-up next week and hope my OS gives me the all clear to begin to walk, albeit, slowly!
My incision is fine, no weeping. I have heard this from many who have had hip and knee surgeries so if your Dr. is not concern, please relax and continue to heal! I can't wait to be able to drive - it's been 4 months!

Please stay connected as we both have a long journey back from a place we hope never to visit again!

Blessings and hugs, :friends:

I actually called my doctor so we have set up a blood sample and a look at the scar just to make sure so I can stop worrying....this never happened in my 3 last OP....maybe the skin has had enough....its not a lot of weeping but they want to make sure...a bit nervous the brain wants me to think negative thaughts but I am NOT going to,,,,its great to drive....yes I feel this rehab is tougher than the last ones before the revision one....all my muscles are stale and I feel old in my body....hope your time to walk will be better....hugs

Hi All,:hi:
Had my 4-week checkup yesterday. Long day! Visit was a 2-hour wait! I think something was amiss with the new computer system they received a few months ago. I know everyone is complaining about it and there seems to be a few kinks yet to be worked out. I had a 1pm appt and talked to the office manager the day before to confirm the time and retrieve my op report. A few hours later, I received a newly generated message from the hospital saying my appointment was at 2pm. Called back, talked to someone else and she confirmed 2pm. So I had X-rays scheduled at 1:30 with office visit at 2pm.

Well, we got there and the waiting room was just brimming with patients. This surgeon always has a full waiting room and the wait can be up to 1 hour as he only sees patients one day a week. So I was prepared for a 1 hour wait, but not 2 hours! In these situations I come prepared. I had my book with me (All The Light We Cannot See - excellent book!), and I tend to 'people watch' and then start up conversations. I was sitting up front so was in earshot of patient coming in and signing in with the front desk. There were so many coming in stating they had a 2pm appt. We all started looking at each other and without hesitation began announcing our own appt. times - 2pm! Computer scheduling issues confirmed!

:yes:Finally got in to see the surgeon! First met with his PA, then my surgeon. He looked exhausted! It was 4pm and he still had a full waiting room! He pulled out my folder and we all commented on how FAT it was! Too many surgeries over a six year period! He was attentive to my questions, X-rays look perfect, ROM - very good, amazed by how much I could rotate the leg. I've always been flexible so this wasn't a complete revelation. We discussed the surgery - everything was 'clean' when they were inside. No infections spotted. Everything looked healthy - tissues, bone, etc.

:yes:We tested my weight bearing walking ability. No weight has been on this leg in four months, so when I gently walked, with crutches, putting weight on the leg, it felt good. No pain. He gave me the green light to slowly begin to walk with the aid of crutches over a 2-week period. I should expect some discomfort in the thigh due to the huge rod down my femur. This is partially because the device I received is the dual mobility device which is a very stable prosthesis for people with revisions. I was happy and relieved knowing I have this device. Less chance of dislocations down the road.

:yes:I still have precautions but can gradually work away from that over the next two weeks. I can drive! That's great, just not sure where I can go with a purpose. I can't food shop yet and will not have the energy to shop for awhile, but it's nice to know I can if a I want to!

:yes:I know some people take a low dose of antibiotics for the rest of their lives after treatment of joint infections but it was not recommended for me. I am satisfied with this. I would rather my immune system kick in full speed to begin to take care of things naturally! I'm lucky I have had no side effects from two years of antibiotics. I understand the test will be when I do need them for an infection of some sort down the road and will it be effective. So, I file this thought away not to look at it until needed. I am taking a quality probiotic and hope this will help.

:yes:I had to go back on Gababentin, 300 mg. in the evening as I found when I went off, I had problems falling asleep due to an extremely restless leg. I explained to the surgeon I think this is because my muscles have atrophied so much and they're 'screaming' to be released! Once I put myself back on in the evening, everything calmed down. He liked my assumption and was fine with the continued use until I got back on my feet.

:)A nurse came in to draw blood for testing. She was new, a revolving nurse, goes around where she is needed. She commented that she's never seen the waiting wait so full! It's been a long day for her! I went out to say hi to the office manager. I know she has been battling her own health issues. One look at her and I went speechless for a moment. She looked awful! We chatted for a few minutes then we left. I wish I had brought flowers or something for her but made a note to bring something at my next visit. My thoughts were on her, not myself as I left the office.

It was a beautiful day yesterday, and another beautiful day in store today. I'm enjoying the moments of calm while I have it. Today a friend is picking up a few things a the food store and will stop by for a visit. She, too, has a lot on her plate. It will be nice to sit outside and talk with her for a few hours.

Have a wonderful day folks!:flwrysmile:

Doesn't your heart just sink into your stomach when you enter into a packed waiting room? I immediately start praying there are 10 doctors on staff! Ummm, do you suppose I might strike up conversations with others in the waiting room (I think you know that answer)! :heehee:

You can weight-bear again, you can soon drive and no signs of infection...hallelujah! Remember when you first got your drivers license and had no problem finding plenty of places you could drive to? Maybe you'll just want to take your car out for a spin...lol.

How kind of you to be concerned with the office manager. People like you are far too few! I'm so happy for you. Good news on top of good news and a beautiful day outside to boot! Things are looking up!!!! :yes!:

@Cynthia777 Yes! My heart did drop a bit but figured I was behind in my reading so looked at this as an excuse to turn a few pages in my book. Was able to get through quite a number of chapters! You would have had the waiting room in a chorus of conversation, no doubt!:heehee:

I see all went well today and now just waiting on your blood work. I got a good feeling.....:)

I'll just put it this way, when my daughter was about 14 years old, she stopped me while entering the govern store and with pleading eyes said, "Mom, PLEASE don't start talking to anyone!" Hahahahaha! This was an impossible request and she knew it! :heehee:
I just purchased "All the Light We Cannot See"...thanks for mentioning it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@keepmovin so glad to hear that you got good news after your long wait! You have been through so much, you deserve to have smooth sailing from here on in. It sure has been beautiful weather in our part of the world these past few days. I hope you enjoyed your visit with your friend

I am glad to hear you don't have to take antibiotics indefinitely. That sounds scary! You definitely want your immune system working when you need it. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker