Hip Infection INFECTION-A long and lonely journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Jessicageb - Thank you for your kind thoughts! Still have quite a ways to go. For me the slower I go the better off I will be in the long term. Been through too many surgeries so there is a lot of healing to do! I am a holistic kind of person so I really would like to cleanse the system of all meds, especially antibiotics, and get back to my healthy foods for health!

You seem to be doing fine and at 4 weeks accomplishing quite a lot. We have to remember that our goal is to take one step forward and zero backwards!:wink: It's hard sometimes. We think that if we feel great, it's a ticket to move forward faster, but really, it's your body saying, "I feel great, thanks for taking it slow, keep up the good work!":idea:

Have a good day!:flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777 Enjoy the book! Let me know how you like it. I enjoy reading these historical/drama stories as it puts our world in perspective, especially war stories.:)
 
Ill keep you posted on the book. I won't get it until next week and I'm not sure when I'll start it, as I remember my concentration level was about 0 post-op. I really liked the storyline, so am anxious to get started as soon as possible. Thanks again!
 
Hi Debbie. @keepmoving ...I am 8 weeks out of surgery tomorrow ...its going well but its not like the first OP..this will take time..the pronlem I have is with my right knee...when I walk it sometimes feels liek a sharp pain and it locks for a second or two....very scary....I think its because I used this poor knee 4 months only to bear my body.....its very swollen and even above it...the operated one is much better....I got a new job which I am starting monday...I have 1 crutch but they said it wa sok to work anyway..I am a therapist at a Rehab clinic....I have a doctors appointment on the 23rd they will once again check blood and Xray....but it looks and feels good,,,but the way to 100% will take time this time...I wonder why you had to wait to weight bare and we in sweden go directly after OP....hm?----love to see you better...think about you alot...hugs
 
@keepmovin : I had asked how your appointment went in my post, and then found this, lol! So, questions answered! Good results! It sounds like everything is moving solidly forward. That must feel so good. This has been a long haul for you, that is for sure.
 
@keepmovin
Am just now catching up on your posts and am so glad for your good report!!! Your positive, "keep on going" is an inspiration to all!!! I also appreciate your posts & your encouragement of others!
So happy for your good report!
SweetPea69
 
Hi folks, Thought I'd give a quick update. Today marks 6 weeks from surgery. The light at the end of the tunnel has brighten considerably and my recovery has rapidly increased this past week. I am down to one crutch, 99% full weight bearing and slowly dissolving the 90 degree rule as dictated by my body. I'm beginning to feel like my old self which is quite a realization as I didn't know much of "me" was suppressed.

My bloodwork came back normal for the CRP and SED rate, which are measurements for signs of infection they watch very closely. When I go back in 6 weeks, we will look at this again. :yes!:

I can:
:yes:take small steps in the house unaided.
:yes:go up the stairs unaided, holding firmly onto the banister, one leg over the other, but not down the stairs which I think is due to lack of balance and control.
:yes:take a shower unaided, without the stool.
:yes:dress without using my aids. I can actually put my socks on by myself now! To get my socks on the operated leg, I still need to reach around the back of the foot to get the sock on, but it's getting easier.
:yes:I barely use my 'walker friend'. I keep it handy, but it's not my life line anymore!

I plan on using one crutch for quite a while until I can walk without a limp. This will be my biggest challenge going forward as I can feel how weak my joint and leg muscles are.

:yawn:I still have problems with sleep. I might be able to fall asleep, but then wake up a few hours later and remain restless the rest of the night. I'm experimenting on different solutions and if I can't figure it out on my own, will seek medical assistance.
So my family gave me a big surprise this weekend! :roseshwr: My daughter and husband from NYC and daughter from Virginia all came in for the weekend. On Saturday, they surprised me with a day at the spa with my daughters. It was lovely and the timing was perfect! It is very hard to surprise me so not sure how they pulled this off. My husband never let on. There were a few clues when I think back on it but I never put it all together.

The spa consisted of a swedish massage, pedicure and manicure. I was so happy to finally have my feet tended to as they haven't been properly cared for in months. The pedicure also involved a lower leg massage which was heavenly! It was a perfect weekend with my family!

This weekend, we are attending a reunion so this will be my first time attending an event which requires me to socialize for many hours. I know this will be very tiring, but I am looking forward to enjoying a weekend away.

We have two family weddings this summer so my goal is to be able to attend both - one in June one in July - unaided entirely. June might be a challenge, but July should be doable!

Blessings and positive healing thoughts being sent to all! Have a great day everyone!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Issa65 So nice to hear from you! I think about you often and hope you are healing well. I am sorry to hear about your knee issue, but I can see how we could have a problem with knees going forward. I feel weakness in my knees as well and hope I can strengthen them before I begin total weight bearing unaided. Until I feel in complete control and balanced, I will continue to use one crutch. I think each surgeon decides on the best course of action going forward on an individual basis. In my case, my surgeon put restrictions on me to slow things down. He didn't want me rushing back in full weight. I was OK with this as I didn't want to take a chance either on having problems down the road.

Congratulations on the new job! It must feel wonderful for you to finally be getting your life back! Getting back to 100% will take a long time so don't rush it. I hope things settle with you knee, though. Are you taking anything for this? Does icing help to reduce the swelling?

Please continue to keep in touch. We are only two weeks apart and I hope to hear that you do reach 100% in a few months time!:yes:

Hugs and blessings,:friends:

@dinsmaum Thank you for your thoughts. I'm watching your progress now and hoping for a comfortable journey the next few weeks with your spacer. This is the worst part as there are no goals to achieve during this time. Just make yourself comfortable and stay healthy, eat well. Lots of protein will aid in healing!:wink:

@SweetPea69 I'm glad my posts can and will help others with infection. The hardest part for me was learning to get through this on my own. There's not a lot of useful guides out there for people who run into this. I actually found more help on the knee section of Bonesmart when it came to infections. I'm not sure if infections happen more with knees than hips but ended up following a few folks over in that section.

Have a great day:flwrysmile:
 
@keepmovin, what a wonderful update! You are reaching so many milestones and doing so well! You are moving on, getting out of the horrible limbo of the infection/spacer. What a beautiful surprise you had with the family visit and the spa treatment. Hoping you will be able to go to those weddings this summer and enjoy them immensely!
 
@keepmovin - So fabulous that recovery is going really well and you're beginning to feel like yourself again! Whoohoo! Lovely to do the spa treatments and see your family! Good for the spirit, as well as the body! I hope the reunion this weekend is fun and that you also are able to attend both weddings this summer.
Hopefully sleep will become easier with time.
May your forward moving recovery continue! :bicycle1: :happydance:
 
@keepmovin : Thank you for the update. You are definitely moving forward! It is encouraging to those of us a few steps behind you, for sure! I remember having trouble with sleep, much as you describe, for quite a while after both original replacements. Hopefully it won't take too long to sort itself out!

Your day at the spa sounds absolutely wonderful! My daughter and I have been talking about doing something similar after my second surgery; seems perfect for that fresh start and moving onward!
 
@Krista Thanks Krista. Now we are waiting for your time to come! Hope your sleep issues get resolve or at least some questions answered when you go in for testing. That's soon isn't it? May 9th?

@Readysetgo Yes, the spa treatment was fabulous and lingered for a few days after. So happy that I now have 'happy, pretty feet'. :egypdance: Seeing my family together was the best part as we are all scattered about now and everyone's schedules get so full. We won't be together again until the summer so soaked in every moment while they were here.

@dinsmaum After your second surgery, please do something nice for yourself! You will know when the timing is right and it really will feel like a fresh start! I hope you're finding a comfortable routine to your days right now. I know it's no fun but it will pass pretty quickly. I gave myself little things to accomplish each day which kept my spirits up. :yes:
 
HI @keepmovin!
Just got caught up on your thread and I must say I couldn't be happier for you! You have a new lease on life and I bet it's such a glorious feeling. You are such an inspiration to all and I want to thank you for that. Blessings and prayers always sent your way. Hugs! :friends:
 
Thank you @cynthia77 I am slowly making progress and getting back into my normal activities. It's exhausting, though, and by the end of the day my energy is drained! I'm not complaining, it's just an adjustment but a welcomed adjustment!

Today I got my hair cut, picked up some flowers for my Mom for Mother's Day, did a small amount of food shopping and unloaded everything! I feel it but it's wonderful to have my independence returning. My husband is happy too!

We have a full weekend planned and now have to prepare for that. Our condos are up for rent so plenty of work there as well!

Have a great day and for all the hippie Mothers out there, Happy Mother's Day.:flwrysmile:
 
@keepmovin
Just got caught up with your thread. Glad you are progressing well. You always seem so positive and take things in stride.
Sounds like you will have a nice Mothers Day. :flwrysmile:
Keep up the good work. You are doing fantastic!!
 
Well folks, I've joined the club of 'one step forward, one step back'! :shrug:

As I attempt to begin to get out more and conquer small battles, I'm running into roadblocks that have temporarily set me back. This is a little discouraging but unavoidable. I should be prepared for a slow journey back, but I find that I am not. To start, I am now sporting a terrible head cold that was lovingly given to me by my family!:oyvey: Everyone had something and I thought I was doing quite well remaining the healthy one. That ended last Thursday right before our big weekend away to my husband's 40th HS reunion! I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but made the trip and faired better than expected.

We had a wonderful time and I met some really fantastic people. My husband went to a private boy's school, 30 in his class. In contrast, I went to a public school with over 1,000 in my graduating class. We have quite the different past. We met each other our last semester in college.

Reunions can be a 'hit or miss' affair but these folks were friendly, down to earth, funny and warm. Of course my situation became a conversation piece which sparked some pretty intersting conversations. Everyone seemed to have some kind of medical story to share! I thought I was going to feel vulnerable as the weekend required a lot of moving around, standing and socializing. Quite the contrary though, it lifted my spirits and my head cold took a temporary hiatus. However, Saturday night I experienced a terrible ache in my leg/hip as I got up off the chair to leave. The chairs were not very comfortable and perhaps I was sitting funny on my leg but the aching was painful and a bit scary. Thank goodness it was the end of the affair and we were headed back to the hotel. The next morning, the pain had subsided and once home, rested the remainder of the day. By Sunday night my head cold returned and it has only worsened through the week.

As I now begin to do more walking, I am experiencing slight discomfort around the groin, knees, lower back and even around my calves.:groan: If I rub the calve area of my leg, it feels tender as if there is bruising still present within the muscles. Every part of my body has weakened and my energy level is lower than I thought it would be. I tried using the elbow crutches thinking this might be better to get around but it only made my back issues worse. I find it's not as stable or as comfortable as my crutches so I went back to one crutch. I will probably use one crutch until I have no need for any support.

I have put away my walker! At least that is a step forward! I think I am expecting too much from only 7 weeks out, immobile for 4 months with four surgeries under my belt. I just need to rethink my expectations, hit the 'reset' button and map out a different plan going forward.:yes:

Have a great day!:)
 
Sickness and weekend trips slow most people down, so I'm not surprised you feel extra worn out. Plus, those 4 months of immobility have such a negative effect, and it will take time to get back to speed, even if your healing hip cooperates. Great that the walker is hidden away! Sounds like a very healthy thing to reset your expectations. You will eventually get to where you want to be!
 
@keepmovin
I agree with Krista regarding recovering when you have traveled and been sick! With my just having surgery 9 weeks ago & no other real complications I have had trouble crawling back to any semblance of normal & it has just two days ago that I figured out how to walk correctly which is helping me feel more normal. The walking correctly takes a lot of concentration. Yesterday after a few errands I was thinking that I felt like I used to when I was trying to walk and was 115 pounds heavier.

Enough about me but what I'm saying is if it takes someone this long with just a THR, think what adjustment your body has to do after all you have gone through. I'm so glad you had a good time at your husband's reunion! Those things are good for the soul. :yes: Give your body time to recover from the last hip procedure, the months of inactivity & the cold. Sounds like you have hit that re-set button & that's the first step. Hope you can hang in there & be patient with your recovery.
SweetPea69
 
@keepmovin
Hooooray! For putting the walker away! A concrete sign of progress! Congratulations!

So very glad you were able to go the reunion, have fun, and feel a little more "normal!" Those situations can be so good for us, and worth the fatigue the next day.

Although I haven't been down as long as you were yet, I do remember after previous surgeries, how every new ache or pain or change caused concern. And, we do need to be aware of potential problems. I remember it took awhile before that alarm didn't go off with every unexpected change. Not panic, but just a "should I be concerned about this??" feeling.

I really like what you said about rethinking it, resetting your expectations, and moving forward from there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom