Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection INFECTION-A long and lonely journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry to hear you've taken that one step back and have a nasty cold to boot. Hopefully you just overdid it a bit and will return to "normal" with just a few days of rest. Sending prayers my friend.
 
We do wish that we could just travel every step forward, don't we?! I know how frustrating it is to hit the road bumps and you, my dear, have hit way too many! Here's hoping the next few weeks are "easy"!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
hi.....when I read your post it sounds like me as well-..its 10 weeks now still on one crutch but working....my body is a mess...pain in both knees and not much progress after my own expectations...but they did worn me about this....this is going to take time....I stopped with the morfin only take advil ...but I am as well very eager to get to the gym and cruthcless....but don't expect this to happen for at least 2 months...my hip is fine and good movement with no pain at all but just a bit swelling and muscle weakness...I am happy you are out and about...we will get through this....hugs
 
Hey there, Debbie! How are you doing? We haven't heard from you in awhile, and when we last did, you weren't feeling very well.
Hope everything is well with you!
 
Hi Folk!
I have been off the site for a while, didn’t realize it’s been this long! I’ve been trying to keep up by reading everyone’s threads but just haven’t had time to respond.

I am now 9 weeks out from my final surgery and feel comfortable to say, with cautious optimism, that normalcy is returning into my everyday life! This has been the hardest journey I ever had to make and very scary at the time. But, I got through it. This has been and will continue to be for some time ahead a life altering event and for most people, as some of you know all too well, alters you, changes you, but for the better. What I felt I couldn’t do yesterday, I know I can do today. I am a stronger person because of this.

After my first two hip surgeries, I bounced back pretty quickly and was up moving about with ease. I had no complications or setbacks, of course, until I got the infection in the second hip. Now, my progress is much slower. Frustrating, yes, but I knew this was to be. I am up and walking and making a conscious effort to improve my gait and not develop bad habits. I feel weakness in my back, knees, parts of my thigh and even around the shins. I have introduced yoga back into my daily exercise routine and it feels great! We are told to ‘listen to our bodies’ and then proceed forward. Well, my body said it was time to stretch! I remember the first time I got down on the floor and started stretching. What a wonderful feeling – I felt alive again! My problem is getting back up! I can’t just get up on my own. With my back facing the front of a chair, I wiggle back enough so I can pull myself up. This shows the weakness in my legs and knees. @Issa65 warned me about this. She is two weeks ahead of me so I’m wondering how she is doing now.

Muscles memory is returning and quite rapidly. I can work my stationary bike without a problem and I do a little walking without my crutch to build balance. For the most part, I have one crutch, I don’t feel supported using a cane so I will remain with one crutch until the end.

On the negative side, either my clothes have shrunk or I have put on more weight than I thought! :sigh: I spent an afternoon going through my spring/summer clothes and all the bottoms will have to be stored away until I can shed a few unwanted pounds! During my recovery, it was hard to keep weight on. I guess the body uses quite a bit of energy while the healing takes place. Somewhere along the line the weight snuck back on and I wasn’t paying attention. It’s skirts for me this summer!

I do worry about the infection returning and have been mauling that over in my mind for the past few weeks. I read where some people resume antibiotics for a lifetime but that’s not recommended for me. My husband and I discussed this last night. My surgeon explained this to “us” but only my husband remembered – not sure where I was….:umm:The two-stage spacer protocol is like the ‘Atomic Bomb’ to fight infections after joint replacement. Pretty much obliterates the infection! Everyone seems confident that this is now a done deal. I guess I can live with that....
 
.....My next appointment is mid-June at 3 months out. We will see where I’m at then and discuss treatment, if any, going forward.

I probably won’t update my thread again until after the 3 month check-up. My days are filled now with so much to catch up with and just getting back to a normal life. I will continue to read everyone’s threads and stay connected as long as I can. I don’t comment enough but I am reading everyone’s updates!:yes:

I would like to take this moment to thank you all so much for your help, support, and blessings. This site and everyone on it kept me sane! Thank you all for just be you and sharing your life stories with all its love and tenderness, vulnerabilities and insights. You have been a gift from heaven and my best friends for just a few short months of which I will remain eternally grateful.
Blessings to all! And may you all heal fully, live completely, be healthy and strong.:flwrysmile:
 
God bless you my friend! May you continue to improve physically and mentally. I, for one, will miss you dearly, but I completely understand needing to get on with life. I'm so happy you are progressing so well! A big virtual hug sent your way! :friends:
 
@keepmovin you have been an inspiration to many here! So glad you are busy getting on with real living. Please keep in touch. All the best my friend!
 
@keepmovin :So wonderful to hear from you, and know you were okay! And wonderful to see where you are in your recovery. Such progress!!
And such good information and perspective for me, someone a bit behind you. While remembering that each person's journey is different, it helps me to see some of the dynamics I will face, and how you respond.
Thank you so much for your input; it has been helpful, informative, and very comforting to me!
And while I will miss you, I *love* that you are now at a point where you are getting to move fully back into that "normal life!" :yes!: Best Wishes!!! :loveshwr:
 
hi my friend....I am as well as I can be,,,,went on my 3 month checkup...he was impressed by my standing on one leg thing and says I will be normal soon..but as you I have one crutch,,,I want so desperately to kick it but my body is not ready...my blood samples were all normal and hight of my hips almost straight,,,,it just takes more time now he says 1 year for all to heal....I am so happy yoy are well...I am working full time now its a bit hard get tired alot...best wishes and keep in touch hugs
 
@keepmovin how are you?? I am still limping and one crutch outside the house...I am so tired of not getting better its 4 months now....how are u??
 
Hi @Issa65 - It is so good to hear from you, but I'm not happy that you still have a crutch! I've been thinking of you as I slowly progress in my recovery. Almost 4 months for me as well. It sounds like you have hit a wall in your recovery and I'm wondering if it is because your muscle, tendons and soft tissue are tight and restrictive causing you pain when you walk. Have you been doing any kind of exercising? We spent a lot of time just sitting during our time with the spacer and even before the operation because of the infection so this is a big adjustment for us physically.

After just a regular THR there is scar tissue that will form so it is important to stretch out this scar tissue while it is still pliable. We didn't go through just a THR so it's important to spend time working this out by stretching and exercises, like simple walking.

I think I remember you saying that your surgeon did not give you any guidelines when it comes to post-op PT. I do my own PT at home because I feel I have more control and because I've been through this for so many years, I know what works for me and what doesn't. Perhaps outside PT would benefit you so you could get the proper guidance for what is preventing you from walking comfortably. You need to get away from the crutch.

Even after all I am doing, I still am not where I what to be. I still have thigh pain when I walk and I do have a slight limp when I start out. I cannot sit for long periods of time and do better when I'm up and moving. Some days I do better than others but by OS said it would take up to a year for me. I may look into acupuncture as I had success with this before.

Can you identify where most of the discomfort and pain originates from? I do remember you saying you had knee pain as well. You mentioned that your hip felt fine and you had good movement so I'm assuming you have a lot of muscle and knee weakness.

Thinking of you....Hugs! :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom