Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection INFECTION-A long and lonely journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, Sonoma! Very beautiful! I guess I'm pretty spoiled, as I was born and raised in the Los Angekes suburbs.
:-)

I'm looking forward to your update and pray you've seen better days recently. My prayers are with you. :prayer:
 
Debbie, I caught up on your thread today. I hope that your pain level diminishes with the meds. I have had hand problems too since using the walker so much this past year. My carpal tunnel has been awful and I drop things left and right, but even more annoying I had developed gigantic calluses that hurt! Lately I have taken the time to do hand treatments with gloves and o'keefe's working hands cream followed by some buffing and now that problem is going away.

Hang in there and keep us informed. Big hug!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
A Meltdown and some Highlights:
warning: this is long....

So yesterday was my first major meltdown.:bricks: More like a volcanic reaction really. It centered around problems refilling my prescription for the pain meds. I’m not sure if anyone else has had this problem but it gets complicated when you try filling a narcotic based prescription across state lines. I’m in NJ my surgeon’s office and hospital is in NYC. The prescription has to be written in NYC then mailed to me and it all has to be timed when the bottle is almost empty. They’ve been FED EXing the prescription, my husband then fills it at a pharmacy that keeps it in stock, the one close to us does not, they order it in and it takes about 5 days. There was a miscommunication in the office as I tried to take care of this last week. The prescription didn’t arrive when it should have and I had to call the office again. I was afraid that I was going to run out before I was able to get the prescription. Why did I have to keep fighting this? I felt like a drug user trying to get my fix! I hate being on these pain meds to begin, with and now I have to fight to get them. I blew up over the phone and that’s when the volcano erupted!:tantrum: I think it was everything, not just that. Last week I had a cleaning service come in and they did a subpar job, and they also managed to break my beloved ceramic frog! I made them come back. They missed vacuuming one room, didn’t clean the dishwasher, my countertop was not clean… Anyway, the Office Manager made sure the prescription got out, and I did receive them, FED EX, late yesterday. I also was told that the aspiration had not been scheduled. I ended up emailing my surgeon this morning so I’m now waiting to hear back.

Soon after that, I dropped a container of nuts all over the kitchen floor!:bawl: So many nuts and I was helpless to sweep and clean it up on my own. So the eruption continued! Every little thing then set me off. My husband was kind. He ran out to fill the prescription, we had a late, light dinner and two glasses of wine, not my small one glass I’ve been trying to stick with. We cleaned up, then I retired for the rest of the night up in bed.

So, there you go. I guess it was bound to happen.:shrug:

Updates – So the Gababentin I began for the nerve pain has helped a little but not like I hoped. My pain level is still around an 8 in the mornings, some evenings it gets to an 8 as well. It’s a shame that I have a hard time relaxing in the evening with my husband in the family room. My body hurts, my legs bother me, I can’t get comfortable. So I end up in bed and that helps until I fall asleep. I take the pain meds and the Gababentin an hour before bed.:sleeep:

-I still get up a few times to go to the bathroom. Apparently, I’ve been snoring a lot. My husband is so good, he just puts up with it. I tell him to go to the other room but he never does.

-Mornings are the worst until I get the pain meds going and 2 Advils. Soon after, I take the Gababentin. For the rest of the day, I function OK – maybe the pain levels at a 5/6. I feel best when I accomplish some goals.

Highlights:
We had some nice days and I was able to go out and sit on the deck enjoying the fresh, crisp air. It was heavenly! The sun was warm, the gentle breeze was invigorating, I could hear neighbors out and about, a few walking their dogs wearing only tee shirts or a light jacket. I was cuddled in my winter jacket and still felt a bit chilled. I could only guess that my body wasn’t used to being outdoors.

-I actually managed to get out to our mail box to retrieve the mail! This required me walking down the basement steps with crutches, then walking up our steep driveway to the mailbox. I managed the journey down the driveway with care. So proud of myself!:yes:

This weekend I hope to take another giant step. We are doing work on a rental property we bought. Started a lot before my operation. I thought I would be able to get back to it doing light work and had that lined up, but that didn’t happen. My husband has taken over the whole job. My daughter and husband helped a few weekends. But it’s been killing me not to help out. We are kind of ‘fixer uppers’. We have one condo, this is our second. The house we live in has been totally restored, very rarely do we use contractors unless a job is too big for us to handle. I sew, do crafty things, and restore stuff. I did a lot of fun things for my daughter’s wedding back in September, then we bought this condo, I didn’t think the operation would stop me as much as it has.

--I am now waiting to hear back from my surgeon.:nah:

As for the ceramic frog the cleaning people broke, they want to replace it rather than reimburse me for the cost. I didn’t handle this properly at the time, but the review I will write will not be a pleasant one.:chinstroke:

This has been very cathartic folks! Feel better today!:)

Blessings to all,
Heal, Flourish and Thrive!
Debbie
 
Thanks @jomarie58 - As you can, if you read the whole saga, I, too, drop things - the nuts were the worst. I have a hard time writing too. My calluses are still there but have softened up. Lots of cream! Right now, I consider this a small battle to get to latter.

Thanks for the hug!:)
 
Omg! What a horrific day! This pain Ned situation in the U.S. is so out of control its ridiculous (thank you drug abusers)!

Awww nuts (pun intended)! I can feel your pain with the loss of your froggy! My housekeeper only manages to break much lived treasures only once or twice a month! I'm surprised you only tippled two glasses of wine (I call that self-control after what you went through)!

You and I are in similar businesses. I'm a manufactured home dealer and hubby and I specialize in purchasing fixer uppers, rehabbing and then reselling then (the communities in which they're located do not allow subletting, so we aren't able to rent them out and receive that luscious passive income).

Hang in there lady...this too shall pass! ;-)
 
Oh heavens what a day! I can so see you with the nuts all over! I have two dogs so they take care of those spills for me! Grin


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Hi all,
I just wanted to send a quick update. I go in today for my aspiration check and blood work. It's been a long week getting this scheduled as I am going in a little earlier than planned due to all my complications with this spacer. Scheduling was was just finalized late yesterday so this morning is rushed.

I'm still having problems using the site due to this malware warning. I'm using safari now but this is not my computer. I will try back later to see if this clears.:tantrum2:

I'm very stressed with this procedure as the needle goes in right where my nerve pain is located. Hope I can send you all smiles later in the day!:oyvey::)

Dr. Suggests I take extra pain meds......
 
@keepmovin so sorry to hear all that you are going through. I pray that the procedure went well today.
I am also having problems with this site as well.
 
@keepmovin- I hope things went well for you today! Sounds a bit stressful. :console2:

I'm still having trouble with this site, but only with my phone. Supposedly it is safe but the warnings aren't off yet??

Take good care and hope to hear things went okay. :)
 
How did your procedure go? I am anxious FOR you. Hope you were able to rest this weekend, and your results are good....sending virtual hugs!
 
@keepmovin I hope all went well last Thursday with the aspiration and that it wasn't too painful at your nerve. I go on Wednesday this week for a hip aspiration, too. Never had one before, so don't know what to expect. Crossing my fingers for you that all moves smoothly for the future with clearing up of the infection and eventual placement of new hip implants.
 
I'm happy that Bonesmart received a 'clean bill of health', no more malware and I got my avatar working again!

Friday I went in to have the dreaded aspiration and blood work to check on the health of my joint fluid. As I mentioned, since I'm having so much pain with this spacer, my surgeon seems just as anxious as I am to get this done and prepare for the next stage.
I was soo stressed thinking about this procedure just because the needle was being placed exactly where most of my pain originates from.:thud: I took extra pain meds but all that did was upset my stomach a few hours later. I think I put out warnings to everyone who was signing me in for the procedure - be careful! The radiologist who first brought me in detected my discomfort and took every measure possible to make me comfortable. He was my friend from beginning to end! I was glad to have him standing by because it seemed the Dr. performing the procedure just wanted to complete the task without regard for patient comfort. We exchanged conversation about my infection but no matter how I tried to explain my story, he would rearrange the events so it made sense to him! :gaah: I became annoyed with him and I could feel myself wanting to start an argument to get my story straight, and then saw the needle. I think the need for his steady hand was more important than getting my story straight so that ended that.:rolleyes:

The procedure went well. He had a hard time getting enough fluid but apparently that's good news. A lot of fluid would most likely indicate infection. Afterwards and hours later, I experienced intense pain for the rest of the day. So now we wait two weeks and hope for the best.

Right now, I'm scheduled for my final operation on March 22 - about a week earlier than planned!

Enjoyed a pleasant weekend with family. My brother, sister-in-law, nephew and parents came in to visit on Sunday. No work on my part, just enjoyed the company. My nephew is a newly appointed MP 2nd Lieutenant in the army who is will be spending the next 3 years stationed in Hawaii of all places! We spent most of the time discussing his plans and us making plans to visit real soon! Of course, my brother and sister-in-law are pretty stressed about this. Their first son, army, 3 years away, all by himself navigating this journey until things get settled, his first time away this far. My concerns and feelings were transferred to them for the day and away from myself. We enjoyed an early dinner at a wonderful, Italian restaurant and then they left early in the evening. It was just enough quality time spent before I drained of energy.

We will be enjoying beautiful, warm weather here on the east coast the next few days. Maybe this will help warm my aching joints and lift the spirits a bit!

Cheers to all!:SUNsmile:
 
What a relief! That's rough about the intense pain you had for the rest of the day, but glad the procedure itself wasn't too bad. So you will have the surgery on the 22nd regardless of the results from the hip aspiration? How nice that you had such a pleasant weekend with family afterwards! Best of luck on the 22nd!
 
Hi @Krista, Well, no....if they do see a problem, I'm sure there is a Plan B! However, with positive thoughts from everyone, my surgeon wanted to schedule me in. It's all going to be a pretty close call because they will wait 2 weeks for the results of the aspirations which puts that out to March 18. I'm scheduled for the 22nd. I'm not sure how or when they will schedule my pre-admission - before the results come in?:shrug:

I am so ready to get this done so hope all comes out clean!:yay:
 
Debbie, that was very smart of them to schedule you even without the aspiration results, so that if you come out clean, you can get on with things as quickly as possible, 4 days later. I am so excited for you! I have an aspiration tomorrow to check for infection. Wondering if it will hurt! So it really takes two weeks for results? I know they have to see if things grow, so it will take awhile.
 
Hi @Krista, I just got caught up with your thread and so sorry to hear about your complications. So you are having an aspiration tomorrow like I had done. Is this right at your hip joint in the groin area or on the side of your hip? They will numb it pretty well but it's still an uncomfortable procedure. As you can see from my postings, my main concern this time around (I've had two prior aspirations) was the extra pain factor and the possibility that the needle would hit close to the nerve pain I have.

I would be surprised if there was an infection after all this time. I think you would have had other symptoms signaling a warning sign like fever, chills, sudden pain that quickly settles after a day or two. I see you also had an MRI. Did fluid show up on the MRI? Good to check and rule it out though.

The results can show up before two weeks - 48 hours is the soonest. If nothing grows from the culture, they will let it sit for up to two weeks to watch for any growth.

Good luck tomorrow. You'll be in my thoughts! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the info and the good wishes, @keepmovin! I have no idea where they will be putting the aspiration needle in. All I was told was "hip". Nice to hear that they do some numbing. I couldn't find out much about this online. They don't expect to find an infection, but my c-reactive protein level was high (although the sed rate was ok), so the surgeon wanted to be on the safe side and check it anyway. I have a fair amount of pain in my hip/thigh, although that could all be from tearing. I've had no other symptoms. I've had two hip MRIs, and no excess fluid showed up on either one.

My situation is very minor compared to yours! I am hoping with all my heart that you are rid of infection and that your upcoming surgery goes like clockwork.
 
Hello everyone!

My second surgery of the 2-stage procedure is still scheduled for Tuesday, March 22 – 1 week, 1 day from today! My pre-admission testing is this Friday – 4 days from surgery date. Thursday will be the two-week marker that will be the final indicator from my aspiration procedure. It will either show positive or negative that the infection is gone. My blood work came back normal after 4 weeks off the IV picc line. I am probably about 10 days early on everything as originally the surgery date would have been early April However, because of all the issues with the spacer, my OS is eager to get it removed ASAP – no argument from me! :loveshwr:

I haven’t posted much if anything on my days with this spacer because as miserable as it has been, my daily schedule has a routine to it now and has been pretty uneventful.
Working on increasing my independence has been my focal point, and I feel I have come a long way. As you all can relate, being dependent on others is one of the worst feelings we must succumb to when going through surgical procedures. The difference for me is the long-term dependency I faced with this 2-stage procedure.

My challenges were 1) the pain – spacers are cumbersome, immobile, painful and noisy at times! This would not have been half as bad if I didn’t have the extra pain on top of the normal discomfort which I have addressed in my previous post. I believe the spacer is not seated well inside my hip, if that is possible. My concern is possible damage done by the spacer by rubbing against tissue and bone. This will be a question for my OS.

2) Independence – I have gone from depending on my husband full time for everything to only using his assistance on a part time basis. It has been liberating for me to get to this point. I feel stronger, more secure with myself! “Where there’s a will, there is a way” so that say! So true!:wink:

And, then there’s the 3) Emotional side of all this. I decided to put this in a separate post because of the length and importance of this. Expressing my emotions is a difficult one for me. I’m the type to never complain, always in control, I listen a lot and talk little. I tend to keep things bottled up and find it difficult to release how I really feel. I enjoy the company of people who do express freely because I find it refreshing!

With the help of another Bonesmartie who also suffered through an infection, my thoughts and feelings were validated through the expressions of another...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom