Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection INFECTION-A long and lonely journey<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Pumpkln I know these meds are necessary, just hate being on them! Thanks for the articles - very helpful!
 
Has anyone been on Gabapentin?
Debbie, I removed the bold from your post as it is known in forum-land as 'shouting'! Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

As for the Gabapentin, I don't think there's anything particular to worry about. It's quite compatible with most pain meds. I took it for about 3 months last year and had no problem.
 
Your thread is really helping me. Thank you for posting. I really appreciate what you wrote about the antibiotics and dental visit. I hope meds you're taking work for you, and that you are out of pain soon. You are experiencing what many of us fear. I will keep you in my prayers.
 
Hi Debbie, I have also taken Gabapentin in the past and have had no problems with it. It works great with the bone spurs and arthritis I have in my neck.
 
Thanks @Josephine and @PegGar16! I was having a bit of luck using advil to manage the pain but the last two days have not been easy so I will try the Gabapentin. I will breath a little easier if I can get this nerve issue under control!:gaah:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I have been reading your thread and what a delightful read it is! Since I am new to the site, it's taking me a bit to get through people's threads. I'm not done yet so I have no idea how your story ends! It's like a short story novel - you write very well. I'm hoping for a happy, successful ending!:happydance:
 
Today my picc line was removed! I am now free to use crutches although I will continue to use my walker because of the baskets I have attached to it. I couldn't use crutches because it would interfere with the the picc line. Since I never have free hands available to move things around, I collect any belongings I need and place them in my baskets to get from one room to another. I also wear a fanny pack around my waist which holds my phone, pen and paper, cream, chap stick and any little thing I need throughout the day. Now, the crutches will offer me more mobility - I can now go up and down stairs without worrying about having a walker waiting for me at the top or bottom of the stairs. I can get in and out of the bathroom with ease - I was having a hard time getting through the bathroom door because of my bulky basket! :snork: I can go down into my basement and retrieve things I need without waiting for my husband to do it for me. After 6 weeks, I have been given a little more freedom! It's the little things that can make your day!:)

So this means no more antibiotics! First time I've been off antibiotics in two years! My security blanket has been removed! This is the test I've been dreading - is the infection gone and will it stay gone for the next 6 weeks. I'm wondering how my body will react now that it's on it's own. We are in the cold and flu season still so my contacts with people will be few. If my husband comes home with the sniffles, he sleeps in the other room!:shrug:

I began the new meds, Gabapentin, for the nerve pain I've been having. Its been barely two days but have not felt the relief I need. My nurse today said it takes time for the full effect to kick in so I will give it a few more days. Because I've been using the walker so much, my right hand, index finger, thumb and wrist have weaken. I think the tendons have been compromised. I have a hard time writing, picking things up, holding a utensil, generally just using the hand. Not much I can do about it now but to keep stretching to release the tension in my hand.

I am having a cleaning service come in this week to thoroughly clean the house! My husband has been taking up all the duties of the home plus work. It's taking it's toll and house cleaning is where he draws the line! He has been wonderful and hasn't complained a bit. I am blessed to have a wonderful man for the past 34 years! "For better or worse" and the "worse" part is being tested right now - so far he passes with an A+! Getting food in the house has been a challenge but I have found our local supermarket has a wonderful delivery service. I simply place my order on line and my husband picks it up! He doesn't even have to get out of the car. They bring it out and load it in - all for a fee of $10!

I'm finding ways to help make my life easier and ways to accomplish things that I now can't do on my own. I want to keep my thread here as positive as I can and at the same time keep it realistic.

I think I've written enough for the day and it's time to put something together for dinner. Have a nice evening!
 
@keepmovin hello and oh my goodness, I am so sorry to read about what you are going through.
And you've kept your sense of humor, too!
I had my LTHR Sept. 21, 2015. the painful pre op period and continuing to work with compromised body mechanics really messed up my neck and then it worsened after my surgery and I, too. was on Gabapentin. They started me on a low-ish dose and I was discouraged because it wasn't helping.. luckily I called and talked to my OS office and his physician assist. assured me that the dosage had plenty of room for adjustment and they doubled my dose and it helped! It wasn't a 100% type of relief but took it down to a bearable state and the best part was that it made me sleepy and I began sleeping better. Maybe this will be the case for you, you sound like you could use some good hours of sleep.
Best wishes for a healthy next 6 weeks! You can do this!! Praying for the best outcome for you. :console2:
 
Hi Debbie,

I'm glad to hear that you are at the next stage. Having groceries delivered is a wonderful thing. I did that after my bike accident. It's amazing all of the things that you can order on line now. I'm so glad that you have your husband for support. That makes all the difference.

I will keep saying prayers for you. I really hope that your body heals. I'm sorry that you're in such pain. Before I had my hips replaced, my legs used to shake at night, too. It was really bad. I dreaded going to sleep. Are you able to do any hydrotherapy? I found that gave me a lot of relief. I had some spasms my first night after the surgery. The nurse gave me a breakthrough drug. It was through the i.v. I don't know the name of it, but it just broke that pain up into a thousand little bits. I was amazed. I really hope you can find the same kind of relief.

Take care of yourself. You are doing great...so courageous!
 
My husband has been using a laundry service. We are still having to do a little laundry, but it is nice to have the bulk of the clothes picked up off the front porch and delivered.
 
OK! Today I accomplished giving myself an avatar! This was a lot of work! The system doesn't automatically reduce to fit if dimensions/MB is too large. I'm not techy at all - leave that to my husband, but I did manage to get this picture to fit! :happydance:Not the one I wanted but it works! Me on the beach on the West coast! Back in the fall of 2014 my husband had a business trip to Pebble Beach to play a little golf on the beach. It was 6 months after my debridement, and I was feeling great so I went with him. He played golf on the beach, I just played on the beach! :SUNsmile: So much different than the beaches and ocean on the East coast. I named the ocean "the angry seas" because of the way they pounded the beach so hard. The resort we stayed in was breathtaking! After that we toured the west coast of California then headed to Yosemite National Park. What a fabulous place to be! We did a lot of walking and hiking. I was trying to upload a picture of me at the top of one of the granite mountains. I was so proud of myself climbing that stone rock with my bilateral hips and being able to do this 6 months after surgery. I told everyone we met on the way up, "I have two new hips and look at me!" It was a great trip. We ended the trip in San Francisco before heading home.

It felt good, today, just going through all 400 pictures from our trip. This made my day. Inspired me. I will do this again!

It's a miserable, rainy day today, but I have a smile on my face right now!:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has/is going through active legs at night! I still experience this on occasion but not every night and not as intense as it was in the beginning. I think it might have something to do with the muscles, tendons and all the soft tissues just screaming for exercise! Wish I know what that miracle IV drug was the nurse gave you.

I would look into the hydrotherapy but right now I can't get out by myself. I will keep this in mind when I have the surgery for my new hip!

@Toddlermom - That's a great idea with the laundry! That's great for you because you have little babies! I didn't think of that and that would have been a good idea for me in the beginning. Now, I have laundry under control. I wear the same thing over and over - wash and wear, wash and wear! My husband has enough clothes to take up the whole walk-in closet so he has enough to last a long time!

I read some of your posts - sounds like you are doing OK? You have to go in for your other hip too? I'll have to go back and read your story.
 
I began the new meds, Gabapentin, for the nerve pain I've been having. Its been barely two days but have not felt the relief I need. My nurse today said it takes time for the full effect to kick in so I will give it a few more days.
Gabapentin does take a while to kick in and even then, you might find the dose ineffective and have to have it increased. When I was taking it, after about 5 weeks of one tablet once a day, my doctor increased it to treble the dose twice daily and it worked like a dream! So if it's not effective within a week, get back to your doctor and ask to have the dose increased. It's quite common to do this, so don't worry.

As a note for the future, when the times comes that you think you might be able to manage without, whatever you do, don't just stop them. What I did was this
Week 1: took one tablet instead of two in the morning
Week 2: took one tablet instead of two in the evening
Week 3: stopped the morning tablet
Week 4: took the evening tablet every other day
Week 5: stopped it completely
 
Thanks @Josephine ! So I'm taking 300mg twice a day. One around 11am the other before going to bed - so 600 mg a day. Do you remember how many mg/day you were taking? I think someone else mentioned that their dose had to be increased as well. It's been 3 days and maybe I feel a little improvement but I think an increase might be more effective.
 
I like your photo, @keepmovin. It sounds like a really nice trip. I have always wanted to go to Yosemite. I don't know if you have ever tried cold baths or showers? I found them really helpful after my surgery.

Every time I think of it, I imagine you clearing that infection. I hope that increasing the dosage on the meds gives you some relief. The nurse referred to the iv drug as a breakthrough drug. It sounded like they don't use it very often...it was so effective! I wish I knew the name of it.

Take care of yourself. I hope you are feeling better.
 
I was up 600mg twice a day. But the first three or so weeks, I was only on 300mg once a day.
 
@keepmovin My mother has taken Lyrica over 2 periods since her hip replacement (2 different nerve related challenges), and it has been helpful. However, it has required some adjusting from the initial dosage. And the dosage was different for two of the problems too!! Same person, same med, 2 different nerve problems 18 moths apart needed different dosing levels.

And I will need a 2nd hip (bilateral dysplasia), but we haven't determined a timeline for #2 yet. My mom (who is our helper this time) is having a knee replacement in June. I would like to do it this year, but I might need someone else to pitch in following her knee!
 
Hi Debbie!
I just finished reading your thread and am so impressed with your ability to stay so positive while going through so much. I can't even put into words how very sad I feel for you. What you've been through really sheds a different light on recovery. You have endured years of recovery, whereas most speak of weeks or months. You are one strong lady! I have a special spot in my Bible where I write down prayers I want to remember every day and I'm adding you to my list (that is, if you don't mind). I would love to hear how you are doing now since you've been off of the antibiotics, but if you prefer not to share, I completely understand.

On a lighter note...ahhhh, Pebble Beach!!! One of my favorite spots in all the land! I've golfed there a few times and can definitely say, it's the most breathtaking golf course in all of California.

I also want to thank you for sharing your story and for being such a wonderful addition to our family here on Bonesmart!!!!! Prayers, hugs and xo's!
 
Thank you @Cynthia777 ! I really appreciate your kind and thoughtful words. And, of course you may add me to your list of prayers! I'm not a very religious person but I am a very spiritual soul, more universal as I find a bit of truth in every religion. But I do believe in the power of prayer and the power behind that which connects us all!:angel:

It's a very rare opportunity for us to get out to California but when we do, I absolutely love the feel of it! We have friends out there who live in Sonoma Valley so that's the next place we want to explore. It's on our bucket list!

Tomorrow I will do an update in my thread. It's evening and I loose steam very quickly this time of night. The pain increases in the evening regardless of the pain meds I take. :umm:

Blessings,
Heal, Flourish and Thrive
Debbie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom