Guest viewing is limited

In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
pkamp,
It sure looks like you have things really worked out! I'll look into the chair. I am trying a little more lubar support in my chair, and it does seem to be taking some of the pressure off the butt.
Thanks for you input. Jim
 
Jacey,
Yeah, that seems like where I'm at-stretching and gentle stretching. I keep thinking, "I ought to be able to do more!", but that seems to be the baseline.

I did got to the pain specialist today, and he referred to me to one of the more reputable PT's here in town to assess/diagnosis/treat potential piriformis or other problems. I got held back a grade with a previous PT (PT tech) for lack of progress. I called the new PT on the way out the door from the pain guy (after calling a wroing number on the sedation), and I can see him next week. The pain guy wouldn't put a shot in the piriformis-just lower in the spine near the sacrum.

I'm headed for the primary in the morning (I made an appointment with him in a proactive surge last week) and I'll just bring him up to date, and pick his brain a little about prifirormis problems or other particular muscle problems.

In the least, I'll spell it out to him. "I'm looking for a M-I-R-A-C-L-E!"
Best wishes and miracles to you, Jacey,
Jim
 
Joesephine,
I have printed out the instructions on uploading (I can upload a document as I would upload a picture, right?), and it may take a little study and work to get the surgery notes up for you. But I'll give it a try.

I went to my primary today, and he encouraged me to check out the PT I have been refrerred to by the pain doctor. The primary suggested I may have ishiogluteal bursitis or I may have scar tissue that may build up for a year before the body can begin to shuck it (he didn't say it just that way).

So I'm still on the hunt, as much as one can hunt with a pair of crutches, a backpack, a list of current medications and a sniffing dog :dogkiss: who will undoubtedly lead me to the most rewarding of circumstances.

Thanks for your offer to peruse my papers.
JIm
 
Shaz970,
-How about a shoulder to lean on, two arms to carrying me in from the car and a good leg to kick open the door for me?
Thanks for your support. Jim
 
Jim, you could scan the report and make it into an image (or photograph) then send that to me in a pm. We'll see if that works.
 
Shaz970,
-How about a shoulder to lean on, two arms to carrying me in from the car and a good leg to kick open the door for me?
Thanks for your support. Jim

Awww, I'm sorry :wink:I am lacking in the shoulder as I would fall over with you, the arms have never been that strong, and my bad side can't kick a blooming ball, and if I tried to use the good side, the bad side would give way!! :rant:
Mental support is all I am any use for these days!! :dogkiss:

Keep your chin up Jim
[Bonesmart.org] In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months
 
You're right. We would struggle, stumble and fall-fall into infinite compassion for one another and anyone in our plight.
Your support is precious as living its selt.
Jim :cnsl:
 
Josephine,
Well, this was a nice little Labor Day morning project (Do you salute :cch: the working class over there?). I can't prove it, but I think the 3 day weekend just adds stuff to the "working" chore list. I hope the surgery notes come through-that is, that you are able to pull them up and read them. It looks like they had to scrap off a lot of material to get to the joint.
-putting ice on the "tuberosity" this morning. For some unknown reason it's "inflamed" today. -wondering again if it's bursitis. No telling??
Thanks for your attention and consideration.
Jim :wub:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months
    scan0003.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 198
  • [Bonesmart.org] In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months
    scan0004.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 208
No, we don't celebrate Labour Day over here, Jim.

I could read the notes, thank you. And one thing jumped out at me which might be one of those "something or nothing" things. But they cut the short external rotator muscles off the femur. One of these might have been the piriformis. Even if it wasn't, it's in close contact with the area giving you trouble. I wonder if there could be any connection with this and your symptoms?

[Bonesmart.org] In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months
 
Jo, what would be the alternative procedure not to cut these muscles from the femur?
 
Not really. In any approach these short muscles have to be divided whether at the front or the back. Otherwise we couldn't get into the joint. The only exception is in the direct anterior approach as there is a little triangle of space between some muscles that one can take advantage of. But it's very tight and special retractors are needed to open up the area.
 
Thanks....I was just curious....

Sorry, Jim...didn't mean to derail your thread!
 
Thanks, Jo. At least your input gives me something to dialogue about-to take to the PT and others.
Jim
 
Actually, Jamie, it's nice to witness such knowledgable discussion about such potentially personal scenerios. It's much better than hearing some of the unmitigated uncertainty expressed by some of my caretakers.
Jim
 
I truly believe that if you keep pushing, you'll eventually get to the bottom of what is going on. I just KNOW there is someone out there who can help you. You just have not crossed paths yet.
 
Jamie,
I was thinking about the next big "push" even as I was lalying on ice yesterday. The ice (on my rear most of the day) quieted the ishial pain, and I got up this morning feeling better. I still can't bear significant weight.

-got a little scare in my own research which indicated there were problems with a Zimmer "Durom" cup but eventually read they warned against thim in 2007 and stopped selling them in 2008.

Thursday I'll make my next push with a new PT. I'm optomistic with the information I'm getting (incuding from you all) about the ishial pain, but discouraged with the sensitivity to putting weight on the leg. -makes me sometimes think I'm in a deep rehabilitative hole that I may not be able to crawl out of. It's all like being tired at the 17th mile of a marathon and hoping you're not shattered when you hit a wall. But then marathons are insane, it seems to me now, and there is room for self care, gratidtude in addition to effort in this process.

The answer or directive in all this, as you say, is to persevere and to keep pushing. Thanks for lending me your optimism, Jamie.
Jim
 
Thanks Jo....did you say grits? I haven't had any grits since I drove into Abeline, TX in 1965 (about the time the song of the same name was popular). :whis:When they offered them to me at the diner I thought it was either stuff you put on the driveway to clean it or put in the cat box-or both. I haven't had the gumption for grits ever since. :nah:
But I will stick it out heeere.
Jim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom