Guest viewing is limited

In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim - you have such a way with words! Thanks goodness for your attitude - it's what will help you get to the bottom of this and find answers!
I hope you can find someone to make that diagnosis and get on it, already!

Was the message on the telegraph pole above or below the Yard Sale signs.......?
 
Jim,

I am hoping and praying that this is the answer (finally!) and that you can get relief without surgery. As far as actors to play you, Jeff Bridges might work. I just saw Crazy Heart. Sean Connery is still hot at 80, but that's old to be playing you. Michael Douglas -- ugh! How about George Clooney?
 
Gotta be Sean Connery....he has Jim's cool attitude plus they sorta look like each other!!!
 
Songlady,
Well, it was just above the yard sale signs and just below-and just as easily seen and taken for an extention to a poster about a wanted cattle rustler:skp:.
Thanks for your approval and encouragement!:lvhrt:
Jim
 
Jamie, I don't know...I do kind of look like Connery, but I've never seen him with dog biscuts in his pocket, jam on his face and crumbs in his lap.
Jim
 
Rebecca, Yeah, maybe George Clooney, but he's kind of suave. Even in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? he was pretty articulate. But I do remember at some time in my life giving that much attention to my hair.
Thanks for being there. :flwr: Jim
 
Hi Jimbo, for some reason I never got your contribution to this thread asking me about priformis exercises.

Here's a link to a video that demonstrates the exercises I am currently prescribed. I am not doing the one on all fours yet. I am also not doing these on the side where I just had my THR. There is a lot of stretching with crossed legs. You are way ahead of me in terms of post-op healing so I imagine you don't have any restrictions. The site also has some very good info on piriformis syndrome and how it is diagnosed.

I have been doing these exercises 3X per day 10 reps each for the last week. I also do a side leg lift that I am supposed to add weights to and increase the reps. Don't have any weights but I am still doing the basic exercise.

I must say that I have already seen results! Hope I don't jinx my success but I took only one diclofenac yesterday. I have been on the drug for literally years so this is big time progress for me.

I have been so disappointed that my hip healed so well and my "back" problems increased. But now that I have found someone who seems to be willing to look at things other than spinal surgery I am beginning to think there is hope. Muscles can be stretched and toned. I certainly am willing to do anything to get rid of this blasted pain but the thought of another op is just depressing.

Let me know how you get on with your doc. Yes - I think you should find a PT that will help you treat this.

All the best Jimbo!
 
Jacey, Oh, you're a dear! Thanks so much for the link. I need those less aggressive exercises. You're right-the one on all fours looks imposible at this point. It looks like something out of Circus Olay. I've been stretch, to a great extent, in a chair. as I am sitting a lot.

I tried a little floor massage with a tennis ball on Thursday, and I think I did a little too much. I thinking I'm more in the "heat and stretch" phase right now.

Intersting-I've noticed occasional brief light burning behind my ankle and lower leg since I started stretching-sometimes right after. I may be doing something to the sciatic nerve-waking it, tweaking it-hopefully not messing it up.

You know, I think I sit just too darn much. I've got to get off my duff more-sometimes like right in the middle of a conversation (like now). But I am truely greatful for your input. You all are all I have right now to kabitz about this. I haven't flushed out a doctor or PT that can relate about this yet. But because of the support and encouragement I have received here, you can bet I'll press the issue with my current providers until I can get someone to go the course with me.
Best wishes, Jim :thnk:
 
Intersting-I've noticed occasional brief light burning behind my ankle and lower leg since I started stretching-sometimes right after. I may be doing something to the sciatic nerve-waking it, tweaking it-hopefully not messing it up.

Hi Jimbo, glad to help in any way. I know exactly what you are going through and it is no fun. :shk:

I get the same burning, tingling, and a "heavy" feeling in the ankle and sometimes down my right foot. PT says this is part of the sciatic nerve being stretched or (in my case) crushed a bit.

Sitting for any length of time KILLS me. I have purchased so many cushions, back aides, pillows - I should go into business!

Just keep doing the gentle stretching stuff. Work up on the reps. I do hope you find someone to help you go further.

This thing is just a royal (and literal) pain in the butt! :hehe:
 
Jacey, Yes, between your stuff and my stuff (I'd have to clean mine up a bit-there are some saddle burrs on my cushions) we could go international in the business.
Has anyone invented the half cushion-one you can use when you sit on your affected side and hang the other side off a stool or something? We could put beer ads on them and distrubute them to pubs/bars, etc.:cch: Boy, the creative juices are flowing here.

I'm cleaning up the kitchen this morning, and I'm a little tender. I think I'm back to the heat and very, VERY gentle stretching phase with this condition. My questions have been met with silence so far. But I'm gonin' packin' (with my notes) to the doctor on Wednesday and call him out on the street in front of the town people and draw some answers out a' him (I hope).

The weather here is cooling off just a bit-just enough to challenge the "I don't wanna's" with the pain and the "I just wanna' lay in the shade" with the heat.
-problem is (as you well know) I have to be careful. A change in season is an opportunity to become effusively effervescent :jump:and overdue again.

I'm wondering if any of your 'Royals" have had this condition. If so, it would be good to hear a testimony from them. Thanks so much, again, for sharing your experience.
Best regards, Jim
 
Jim....sounds like a shootout at high noon tomorrow with the doc! Hope you come home a winner!!
 
Well the Queen Mother had a hip replacement at age 95. She was one tough lady!

Let us know how it goes with your doc. Sounds like you won't be taking "no" for an answer.

Go get em Jimbo!
 
I once scrubbed for a gentleman who had a hip replacement at the age of 101 years!
 
I can't emagin going through that operation at that age!!! But then again when your in pain with something...you will do almost anything to get rid of it! I hope you get an answer Jimbo, it just seems like you keep hitting brick walls!!:doh:
That has to be just about as frustrating as the pain at times!

You do seem to keep a good spirit in spite of it all.:D So I think that helps a lot and of course writing here as you say. If no one else understands pain, someone here does for sure! Hope to hear something good this time!! ((HUGS))
Sandy
 
Sandy,
I'm waking this morning to the usual tenderness and difficulty getting around as well as the frustration at not having a diagnosis, but I j need to direct it into proactive action. I'm here whining at 66. If I make it to 100 (very unlikely) I'll probably be wanting to take to my case to the Supreme Court. I admre the resiliance and paitience of my elders.
Jim
 
Jimbo, I heard about your piriformis issue combined with long periods of sitting in a chair and a nine alarm bell went off in my head which is prompting me to reply. I never had sciatica or piriformis issues until I began sitting for long uninterrupted periods (up to 15 hours a day total). The doctor I saw for the sciatica told me most of his patients with sciatica were truck drivers that sat all day long! Ding ding ding! I was even using a plush recliner but still noticed that most of my weight was still on my butt. At the Healthy Back Store I found "The Perfect Chair" by Human Touch ($1700 list... I paid half that on the web) and it puts all your weight on your back because it was designed following the astronaut's chair ergonomics. It also gets my legs above my heart which is prescribed for my vericose veins! It solved all my periformis and sciatica issues period. I even put a layer of memory foam on top for more comfort. I have my keyboard in my lap and can type all day without any discomfort at all. My mouse is at the perfect height on a side table that supports my whole arm at rest...everything is grounded. You might have to re-engineer your entire work area around this chair but if it helped you as it did me, it would be a small price to pay! You could probably even design and build something like it yourself if you were handy (or knew someone) and save some money. Although getting it to pivot up and down would be tricky...you might have to climb in and out of it. Just thought I would pass along what turned out to be my "life-saver".
 
Interesting, pkamp....here is the chair he is talking about:

[Bonesmart.org] In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months
 
I am glad this chair helped you PKamp. But frankly I have yet to find any seating arrangment that helps my piriformis. Lots of money to spend on maybe.

Continued easy stretches seems to be the recommended therapy. Happy to say I am just starting to see results.

But hey - we are all different! Maybe it is the miracle we are looking for!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom