Guest viewing is limited

In pain, confusion and uncertainty after 4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and how could I forget my litte grandchildren! Thank goodness I can have the 2 year old (do I sound prejudiced?) here alone now that she can walk and I only have to lift her into the highchair. She is the light of my life ( I love the other 3 just as much but they are off on their doing their own kid things)!:wub: I've missed a lot as they were all 9 pounds except her (7) so I had to have them handed to me. Imagine being afraid to pick up a baby because of your back :sigh: !

Anyway, what lies ahead, I don't have a clue, but at this point I am not up for being cut again...:nah:.
 
Jim, my dear friend - we'll gratefully take whatever time you have to offer. Just don't leave us altogether, will you? I'm so pleased you're getting some relief however small.

God bless you.
 
Hi all -

I had my revision surgery on July 26th. My first THR was Aug6th of 09.
The surgeon knew at the time that the acetabular bone was mis-shappen and the cup may not hold.
In April - my nagging pain turn much worse and I went back to a cane.

Today is 3 weeks since surgery and I feel so much better. Recovery, range of motion, and strength is so much better than last year.:dogkiss:
The OS dug deeper into the acetabulum to sit the cup better.

I used the same surgeon who has a very good reputation. I found him through a surgical nurse and an anesthesiologist I know.

My only regret is that it took 9 months to find out that there was a problem. My PT wasn't sure why I was having such difficulty recovering - that should have led to more research as to why the pain wasn't going away.

Jim - glad the injections are giving you relief. Pain is bad.

Thanks for your help - Kathy
 
Hi, All!
It's me again. It has been a roller coaster week. Along about a week or so after my first pain treatment (last Thursday) I decided to do a few exercises including some of the rubber tubing exercises I did in my first recovery. That was a big mistake. By last Saturday I couldn't move and any attempt to do so resulted in excrutiating posterior pain (I couldn't even get to the computer to gripe to you all about it). I was hurting (out loud), angry, desperate (again) and frightened- fearing that I would never be able to move again.
Fortunately, I began to move again on Sunday, sang some praises, and imporved up to yesterday when I got a 2nd pain treatment (another shot in the back). I'm scheduled for a 3rd in two weeks. I'm staying with working on my walking (I have been playing with two cains in my office today). I guess I ought to think of just walking as being rehabilitative, right?, huh? :pzld:
I'm supposed to try the NEUROTIN during the day time to see if I can tolerate it (I'm doing fine taking a small dose at night and it seems to help me sleep better).
In the mean time we have had three grandkids staying with us during the day this week. I am trying to read the 12 year old (you know how they are), the middle child is getting into stuff and the youngest one thinks she's a dog, and although I have to pet her, she companions with Pete:dogkiss: (of course, he eats it up). I do enjoy them but it is a relief to get to my quiet office and play with the canes and not worry about getting run over. All the adults that are coming in today are talking about painful experiences in their lives so we can certainly relate.
Well, I'm off to a lunch with some of my colleagues. I can whine to them as long as I can also take some of their chiding (the fellows among them will offer to do an immediate revision with their available power tools) Jim
 
Oh, Jim! Your viewpoint and way with words are amazing! From the grandkids to the revision with power tools - !!
What a gift you are to others!!
 
Jim, I'm glad you're feeling better after Saturday. I guess you'll just have to settle for the walking right now. It's okay. It still counts as exercise.

Watch yourself around that lively group of kids!!! I loved your description of them all!!!
 
Jim, walking is the best exercise for backs there is. And it's easy and doesn't cost anything! As always, I am amazed at your beautiful attitude in this trial. God bless you, my friend.
 
Josephine. Yes, the walking seems to help. I think I am sitting too much, but that's how I make my living-sitting on my dandy duff. Although the pain treatment is taking the edge off the pain, I'm well aware the condition, whatever it is, is still there. It's represented by deep pain in the buttock all the way around in what I call the "wheel well" of the pelvis. I've gone nuts trying to find descriptive terms for the doctors. And sometimes it effects the upper hamstring connection. I need to look closer at the anatomy book.
I didn't overdue it this weekend, so I'm doing okay. The grandkids were out getting ready for school. Pete :dogkiss: was laying cool away from the heat and I was left to my own awkward devices.
We're gruarteed rain tomorrow on the prarie here. It will be a nice relief unless, of course, the barometric pressure change effects my condition. Well, I'll ride it out, pardners!, Jim
 
Josephine, I got a little excited today. I was fishing around on the net and instead of googling "hip pain" as I usually do, I googled "buttock pain" and followed my nose and symptom descriptions to piriformis syndrome with or without an effected sciatic nerve. One article said it could occur in the aftermath of THR. The symptoms seem to fit, and I gently attempted a described piriformis stretch. I didn't think I could even do it (putting the foot of the affected leg on the oppositite thigh and drawing that thigh up), and I could do it to an extent, and when I got up I actually had some relief.
It would be just great if this were my promlem-my diagnosis at this point. If that's the case though, and it involves the sciatic nerve, itt may take a good amount of time to recover.
But at least I have some new stuff to throw at the doctors. I told Pete:dogkiss:about it, and his tail told me he was happy about my hopefulness.
I'll browse around and see if you have any articles about this condition on the site.
Thanks for hanging in here with me. Jim
 
Gosh, Jim....I'm glad that movement gave you a little relief. Guess you need to continue to pursue that as a possibility. My prayers are for you to get a resolution to all this. You have been through so much.
 
Interesting ..... if I remember, I think I mentioned something similar when you first joined us! :wink:
 
Josephine, Yeah I was involved in wondering what was going on around the ishial tuberosity and you posted a picture of the muscles (page #12 of this thread) in the area including the piriformis. Now it's interesting-the stetch seems to be helping, and my range of motion is increasing some. But it feels like I'm a good ways off from putting weight on it or walking. Could such a problem (piriformis syndrome) effect weight bearing that much.? Could the sacral nerve be effected just in that area (the pain doesn't run down the leg) and inhibit weight bearing/walking?
Gee, I looked back on this thread-It's like reading War and Peace (mostly about war). I'm afraid the speed readers among us will say, "It's something about Russia". I appreciate you all sticking with me through this, especially through the long-time uncertainty.
We had a cooler couple of days-maybe an omen of change.
Best regards, Jim
 
Hey Jimbo, I've got to jump on this thread now based on your latest posts. I am now in treatment for the exact pain you are describing.

A brief background - I had spinal decompression in Dec 2007 due to major sciatic pain on my right side. In Dec 2009 my left hip collapsed due to developmental dysplacia. I had LTHR in May this year. Two days after my THR I had what I can only describe as an attack of the sciatic pain. As my hip recovered I continued to have the lower back, butt and leg pain.

It was Jamie who suggested I see a new PT and this week he diagnosed piriformis syndrome. For me it has been a long history of shifting my weight to the right side due to the bad hip. The piriformis and my gluts are now so overworked they stay tightened all the time. I get pain mainly when I sit for any length of time. Walking is also painful initially but the pain subsides later.

To answer your question about the sacral nerve - I was told it could be affected in one area. The sciatic nerve can also get pitched (which is my problem).

Anyway, I am now doing the stretch you describe three times a day - 10 reps. And for me it does ease things. I go back next week to get more exercises with the aim to strengthen the area so that I can control the muscles instead of having them freak out all the time.

Don't know if this makes any sense to you. But I do know your pain and have every sympathy! Do go and ask about the piriformis issue.

I wish you all the best and pray you get the answers you need!
 
Could such a problem (piriformis syndrome) effect weight bearing that much.? Could the sacral nerve be effected just in that area and inhibit weight bearing/walking?
Without a doubt! It can be excruciating and long lasting and very specific to one small area.
 
Jacey,
Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! :bow:Thanks so much for sharing.
Now I have to get someone-one of the doctors, or get a doctor to get me into a PT or someone else to confirm this (You think?). I'm still not certain, but this Zebra sounds and looks a lot like your Zebra. I am heating and stretching. Maybe you can share some of those strengthening exercises you get from your PT. I think the PT's around here are more suited for treating horses-a rubdown, some hot linament and a walk-around in a circle.
Thanks so much for your input. Jim
 
Josephine, Thanks so much! Now I have to bag someone who can confirm this. I'm seeing this movie in my mind where I (played by Sean Connery, Micheal Dourglas or Jeff Bridges-my grown kids think Bridges could play me) hold everyone at bay in a clinic with a black water pistol demanding a diagnosis-demanding that someone look at it and treat it. Of course in my ending I'm asked to attend a large medical conference wherein I am held up as an example of a long foresaken patient with an unattended diagnosis, and for my partiicpation I'm given free residence and a heavy, terry cloth bath robe (instead of the gown) at the Mayo clinic.
But your response is more than Hollywood helpful.
Jim
 
Josephine,
Proactive, Root N' Tooten' Jim just called the pain management people here to ask if, generally, they can treat a piriformis problem, including a piriformis injection. (they said I could call if I had any questions). I also asked who might be able to substantiate such a diagnosis in this frontier town. Of course, they said in the voice mail that it could take as long as 48 hours to listen to, interpret, and respond via notice nailed on the local telegraph pole before I can get an answer.
I have an appointment next Wednesday with the doc for another treatment. I've picked up the scent-or the Gun Smoke-of the hunt just now.
Jim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom