THR I'm on the other side!!

@newguy awesome update, you're doing wonderfully! Amazed at all you're doing but still being smart, listening to your body and being safe.

I can so relate to dancing in the grocery store! I was still on my walker, for safety per PT, but started bopping around waiting on my husband to put something in the cart. One of my old co-workers saw me, she was shaking her head and laughing! :heehee: :catdance:
 
Long day even went to track practice after a 3 mile walk and teaching English. 6:30 pm east coast USA I’m icing and yea tired. Man that surgery is no joke and healing really does take time!!!
 
Happy belated 2 month anniversary! Your recovery is coming along so nicely. Even though you occasionally still get reminded about having the surgery, I see the time coming soon when you just go about your day and forget about it. Yes! That actually happens. It might even surprise you when it does happen. It’s the best feeling. BTW: I wished I had had a sub teacher like you for Home Ec. That would have been awesome! :)
 
Man that surgery is no joke and healing really does take time!!!
Yes, this is true. It sounds like you had a physically long day yesterday. I hope with rest and ice last evening you’re feeling like your old, new self, again today.
Happy Wednesday…make it a good one! :)
 
Yes walked less yesterday good night sleep , back at it today , English teacher , even walked a mile early at 5am.
 
Teaching Spanish and English today. Another full week of easy work. I am at 80 miles walked so far this month. Biking /easy spinning 20 mins 5 days a week Hip is great , leg in spots still sore, but my range of motion is better everyday. Socks and shoes much easier. Can sleep on either side for hours, but still it tells you after.:))). But all in all a good week 9 PO. Going to work with high jumpers at track practice this afternoon. My athletes are so happy I am not limping around anymore.
 
And we are at track practice.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side!!
    C142AA26-0854-4C95-982D-DEA0F362EABF.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 122
That better not be you out there barefoot! :snork:
Seriously though, isn’t normalcy a wonderful thing!
 
Today walked for 1:31:04 about 6 miles . That was the time of my last half marathon 13.1 miles at age 55. Finished 33rd out of 2600 runners. I beat a whole lot of younger guys:)) that day . One of my best races .
 
Fabulous updates. Your example will be very inspiring to other hippies and people wondering whether to go ahead with surgery.
 
Interesting updates Newguy and you are going along great . Like you I was a runner prior to the hip going up the Swanee, and have read your recovery with interest.
Please remind me ,are you to continue when you feel fully recovery.
Do you feel stiff on initial walking after sitting ? I call it stutter step.
Is your new hip / area sore ? But not painful .
I am 12 month on this week , just resumed running treadmill and very short jogs on grass .
Even played 5 minutes of football sat .
Good luck
 
John, I am now 10 weeks and a day PO. I walked 7 miles today. 4 at 6am, 1 at 10 am, then 2 at 1pm. Oh yes I am stiff after sitting, but it’s more my lower back and right knee. My knees are fine no arthritis, my back? Who knows, but 55 years of running may have worn some things down back there but it’s manageable. Yes, when the hip went south everything was difficult.
My new hip is just great not a hint of pain. Yes areas that were cut during surgery are still a bit sore. I do ice at the end of the day. Running again? I just don’t know. I will be 66 next month. I would not attempt any running until maybe 10/12 months out. Then with Hokas on Mondo track and real slow and short like a 400 meter jog!! I really have nothing more to prove with running. Was fast won lots of races. I think walking 7 to 10 miles a day would be just fine going forward. I am now walking 125 steps a minute. It’s a good workout. 16 min miles. I am also now on the bike today a 25 minute spin. I was running 2 + hours a day so my ability to be out walking 2 to 2.5 hours walking is fine. Love to be outside. Clears my head I do my best thinking on the roads ;))) What is still hard is bending down. But it’s only 2.5 months. Yesterday at track practice I had the jumpers bend to move mats and pick up bar and move standards. I can just coach!!!
 
Last edited:
So now almost 11 weeks PO and my Saturday walk was just under 2 hours and a total of 7 miles . Not broken up. Just felt nice . A good long walk . Funny no hip pain or much pain even in the surgical leg . My right knee and lower back are a bit stiff and sore but hey I’m getting older :))) Do you ever wonder about that crazy Mad surgeon who said back in the day if I cut off that arthritic top of the femur and put a new one on that I could fix people???Glad there are great scientists out there!!!
 
Check this out....:) :-) (:

 
11 weeks today, I noticed the black and blue marks on my ankle/ lower shin have disappeared this week. Every week is better and better,
 
Little by little, the physical signs of the surgery fades...just like the scar. But gratefully, we will have reminders of our hip journey and our journey back to life.
I will say - my nephew was quite amused when he was able to set off his metal detector by swiping it over my hip area.:) :-) (:
 
Well I am walking like I used to run. I get out and set aside a time to walk . 3, 4 now up to 7 mile walks . I walked my 205th mile since my surgery date!! this morning while finishing a 4 mile walk. A guy around the corner stopped me . Said can I ask you a question?? I said sure , Are you the guy that was trying to jog or walk last fall that was limping so badly?? I said yes that was me , he says my wife saw you walking the other day and like wow he is not limping at all and moving really faster . I smiled said I had my hip replaced!! He said well guy you look great !! Made my morning:)))
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom