TKR I'm on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say NO to an MUA this early, it would only flare up my tissues. I had quite a bit of scar tissue removed during the revision, and creating more pain and inflammation would only contribute to further scar tissue development for me.
Perhaps @Josephine can provide additional information about having a MUA 3 weeks after your TKR.
 
@susie09 I think, not positive, that my extension is more my problem. I cannot straighten my leg. It was a minus 8 before (I think). It is improving, but really stays stuck at the same number. I've been reading a lot about MUA and from people who did have it early which showed success. I've been working hard, and measurements have not changed much. I'll see what he says on Tuesday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I've been reading a lot about MUA and from people who did have it early which showed success.
Actually they appeared to show success because they didn't have any problems like adhesions in the first place! I am unable to fathom why surgeons want to rush in and do early MUAs when it's perfectly reasonable that ROM will be restricted in the first few weeks. You've just had really major surgery, for pity's sake! What does he expect!

You should read this article (which is amongst those I left you in post #6 of this thread, btw. I trust you did read them?) Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it? Your problem here is simply swelling and pain. You DON'T need an MUA and it won't benefit you as you will still have the swelling and pain to deal with only probably worse.
I've been working hard, and measurements have not changed much.
Don't work hard! It doesn't get you anywhere except worse!

I'm going to ask you some questions and I need you to answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
I have to gather all this information so that I can reply with detail.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hope the wedding shower was a success and you're feeling better.


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
@Eva41 thanks for asking. The wedding shower went well. I managed and even walked around and greeted guests. I went up and down a couple of steps. When I got home I iced and elevated. It felt good to get out among the living!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I am so glad the shower went well! You are Improving. You will see a bigger difference in time for the wedding!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Wonderful! Parties are always so uplifting! You have a busy couple of months ahead of you! More incentive to feel better! Onward and upward!


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
No manipulation needed. Doctor said there was a big improvement from last week! I'm really happy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Mbone, I hope you're feeling better and that the depression is starting to lift. I'm just over 10-1/2 weeks post op. For me, at least, I can't say I noticed any tremendous change around 3 weeks but I realized a few days ago that overall, I feel pretty good. Yeah, I still take pain meds when I need to, I still get tired really easily, but I've been released from PT, I went back to work (part-time) last week and hopefully, I'll be back on a horse by mid-summer. So maybe, feeling better can kind of sneak up on you.


@kneeper, I've thought about this a lot (and I tend to be very analytical). I worked with a therapist who rehabbed me through 3 surgeries and several injuries over the past 6 years. So I trust him completely. I'm used to riding that line between discomfort and pain and once or twice pushing just beyond for a moment. I realized during one session that I was anticipating as he was passively stretching and flexing my leg. The effect was that I was holding my breath and tensing, resisting so even what was usually just uncomfortable seemed painful. After that I tried to focus on my breathing and think about relaxing into the stretch or flex and it worked. I know it's probably not common to have that type of relationship with your therapist, that level of trust so it makes me wonder - does our very natural fear of pain coupled with being paired with a stranger that we have no reason to trust make it even easier to blur that already tricky line?
You are asking a really good question about trusting your PT and not tensing up in anticipation of pain so you can work cooperatively together. After weeks of guarding our injured leg and incision site it is hard to let strangers ( or PT) in the inner circle! Today I had a new PT and he was the size of an NFL player. I was tensing up my knee when he was manipulating it. He called it to my attention, even joking about his size that I probably thought he could snap my leg in two (which I secretly did!). His humor helped me to relax and start to trust him. I think you are asking a good question. What do other people think about this?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Great news Mbone!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Thanks everyone! I'm so happy !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Tomorrow I will be 5 weeks post op. There is still swelling and my knee still feels warm. Is this normal? When I bend my knee, to the best of my ability, it feels like something is in there preventing me from bending. I'm probably bending about 90 degrees ( that's a guess). Of course tightness is still an issue too.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I think it is all normal. I don't know how much you are icing but I used my ice machine all night long for probably eight weeks. In the daytime I used ice packs as much as I could. That truly helped me the most. I am at six months and if I stand for too long my knee will still swell a little. It is early in your recovery and this surgery requires a lot of patience!
 
I ice a lot... Most of the time when I'm just laying around. But when I went to my out patient PT. She said not to ice constantly but rather in 15 minute increments. So now I'm torn!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
No I iced for hours. Just use a cloth between your skin and ice. I think they tell you that so they don't get sued. There is a section in the reading list you should have been given. I honestly iced all night long with my ice machine and off and on during the day. Even in the hospital my OS had his patients ice all night long on ice machine. It was heaven and helped me tremendously. Take care!
 
5weekspost op: every day is a little better. I had a good PT session yesterday and even went up and town my stairs a few times. I'm paying for it today though, icing sad elevating! I bent to 97 on my own. My extension needs work. Sleeping is still hard. Even with the pillow between my knees, it's hard to get comfortable on my sides. I have not driven yet and as a result , I'm stranded for the most part. But in reality... Where would I go! I'm still in pain at times and have a lot of discomfort!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
The next couple of weeks is where I started to see more significant improvement. My fingers are crossed that you start seeing similar progress.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom