TKR I'm on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to a year for full recovery. Most of us feel almost 100% before then, but it is a journey that takes all the patience you can muster. :console2:
 
Is it common for the hip on the TKR side to hurt when walking? More of an ache!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm an April's Fool knee person too. At almost the end of the sixth week, I do see quite a bit of improvement. I used to dread bedtime, anticipating hours of sleeplessness, but now I look forward to it. I generally wake up three times a night (at pretty much the same time) just it time for another pill, but it doesn't take me as long to fall asleep again. I think it's because of two things. One, the medication is controlling the night pain, and two, I don't nap during the day so I'm really really tired.

Make sure the pain meds are working for you. For me Tramadol and Tylenol combined seem to do the trick, but it's not the same for everyone. If you're in pain, you won't sleep.
 
Mine is more if a tightness and discomfort than actual pain. I finally mastered sleeping on my sides. I take hydrocodone with Tylenol. I do not need it regularly but I do take it at night. I do have tramadol so maybe I'll try that during the day with Tylenol. What is your ROM and extension? I know we shouldn't compare... But it helps me to push myself knowing how others are doing. My knee is starting to get itchy. The PT said it's the nerve endings healing. It's driving me nuts!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'm an April's Fool knee person too. At almost the end of the sixth week, I do see quite a bit of improvement. I used to dread bedtime, anticipating hours of sleeplessness, but now I look forward to it. I generally wake up three times a night (at pretty much the same time) just it time for another pill, but it doesn't take me as long to fall asleep again. I think it's because of two things. One, the medication is controlling the night pain, and two, I don't nap during the day so I'm really really tired.

Make sure the pain meds are working for you. For me Tramadol and Tylenol combined seem to do the trick, but it's not the same for everyone. If you're in pain, you won't sleep.

I could have written this post! 2 weeks into this I was almost having a panic attack at bedtime knowing sleep wasn't going to be easy or long or in my bed.

I have heard you all talk about Tramadol, is it better than the oxycodone I have been using?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
We are all just fools! Was the joke on us for having our surgery on April 1st ? When people would snicker after hearing my surgery date I said it was better than a Friday the 13th!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today I measured 107, 5 degrees from last week. My problem is the extension. That is still 7. Should I be worried??? I'll be 8 weeks Monday!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Nothing to worry about. It will gradually improve. There are a few exercises to help with extension. My favorite is lying on your belly with your knees and lower legs dangling. You can even use weights on your ankles (or wear shoes).

Did you notice that my favorite exercise is the one in which I don't have to do anything?:dancy: (I only like to exercise my emoticons)
 
Thanks! I do that occasionally.. It hurts.. I don't like pain! Lol! But I have to be more diligent in doing them!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
PT is planning on releasing me Wednesday. I'm not too sure I'm happy about this. 111 and 5 are my numbers. We will see what they are on Wednesday. I guess I have the strength! I can go up and down stairs normally. Hurts a little going down but I can do it. I do not see OS until July 1 which is 3 months. My daughters wedding is a week from Friday! I'll be 11 weeks at that point.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like you are doing great, just keep up the gentle exercises the PT gave you. Have a wonderful time at your daughters wedding.
 
Don't get caught up in the numbers. You are not that far off the typical targets. How you feel, your ability to do the things you want and need to do are the things to concentrate on. The ROM will come in time.
 
When I was scheduling my surgery, my big concern was my daughters wedding June 20, 11 weeks post op. Well I want everyone yo know that I danced the night away! When I got home at 1:30, I iced my swollen knee! Not much pain, but it was swollen. I did bring ice bags, but i never wanted to sit down and ice. And actually, the ankle on my non surgical side hurt way more than my new knee! I love my new knee!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
When I was scheduling my surgery, my big concern was my daughters wedding June 20, 11 weeks post op. Well I want everyone yo know that I danced the night away!
Congratulations to your daughter and to you for your ability to joyfully celebrate! That is what it is all about!:thumb::thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom