TKR I'm on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Phil75070
Thank you for the encouraging words, I just want to cry! I'm fed up and now coming down with a cold!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
i had my right knee done on march 24,2014. I still have some uncomfortable days especially if its a day for PT. I still have swelling and my daughters got me a wedge pillow and its my new best friend.I still have some trouble sleeping. Wishing you a speedy recovery
 
@donna s is the wedge pillow a slanted one or one that starts slanted and then goes straight? Is it specifically for legs? I looked on amazon and found some. Is it wide enough for both legs? I'm desperate!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
we purchased it at bed bath and beyond. it is wide enough for both legs. i think it was 30.00, and i use it alot.
 
I'm going there tomorrow so I will look! Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I have a hard time with the wedge pillow because my leg does not lay flat. I needed a skinny pillow at the base. I so wish my extension would come!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Mbone, I have the wedge pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond and even though my extension is 0, I still need another pillow under my knee at the base in order to feel more comfortable. You are only 4 days behind me in your recovery and it seems we share a lot of the same struggles. I have a really hard time getting a good nights sleep. I had my 6 week follow up appt. last Thursday. My ROM is about 105 or so and my extension is 0. I still have quite a bit of discomfort. My doctor increased the Anti inflammatory medicine and it seems to help a lot during the day. When I am really uncomfortable, I ice for about 40 min. and elevate for an hour or so. It seems to help. Nothing however seems to help at night.
 
@Daina when you say your extension is 0, is that all of the time, relaxed or standing? Or is it if you push your leg down? Just wondering! Last night was really bad! I ended up taking 2 pain pills, sleeping pill, and anti anxiety pill and finally fell asleep. I have one of those things that tracks your sleep. I sleep an hour then I'm up. Longest time sleeping is about 2 hours! It's terrible!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
It's pretty much all the time but it still feels like it's stretching. My non surgical leg is negative a bit so I won't feel completely normal until my surgical leg is too. When I first stand up after sitting or laying for a while, I just stand there and stretch for a minute then walk. I have never pushed my leg down. I let gravity do all the work. I used a large, firm rolled up towel under my ankle and just let it rest for as long as I could. When it hurt, I turned my leg to the side to get relief for a minute then tried again. The other thing that helped me is laying on my stomach with my foot hanging over the edge of the bed. Gravity worked in that case too. I am not necessarily comfortable though, that's why I use the secondary pillow when elevating. I am a stomach sleeper and still can not sleep that way which is probably contributing to my lack of sleep. I have never been able to sleep on my back which for now is the most comfortable if I can stay there. After reading some posts today, I am going to try only Tylenol and Celebrex and see how it goes. I have a firm suspicion that the Tramadol is keeping me awake or not letting me sleep long. I also notice last night that my incision was more sensitive than usual. I am going to cover it today and tonight and see if that helps. I also need to try staying awake during the day so that I'm more tired at night. I'll let you know how it goes. I know, it is so frustrating.
 
I've been dangling off the bed also. I can only manage about 3 mon. At a time. I put the ankle over something also for gravity to work. It's still not straight. I had a bad time sleeping also last night. I napped on and off today which is going to do me in when it's time to go to bed! I take pain pills, sleeping pills and nothing... Then I take an anxiety pill and sometimes that works! I really hate this!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I could only dangle for about that long at a time too. I just kept doing it for as long as I could. Don't get discouraged. From what I've read here, everyone is different. Just keep trying and be gentle. It will come. Today, I tried staying awake but because I had a rough night, it didn't work. I took a couple of naps. One thing I did do that help more than I imagined it would was that after I showered and dried my knee, I placed a large bandage over my incision (one like they sent me home from the hospital with). I had no idea how much discomfort I was having from material rubbing on my incision. Today has been the best day for me so far just because of that one thing. I tried just the Tylenol (I took 2 extra strength). They worked well for about 4 hours. At 6 hours I took 1 Tramadol and 1 Tylenol. I'm not sure how well that worked. My biggest discomfort comes from pain deep in the bone of my shin and calf. I asked the doctor about this when I went for my 6 week visit and he told me that when you've been walking funny due to a bad knee for so long, once your new knee is put in and everything is aligned properly, it takes some time for your bones to adjust. I don't know about that but I sure can't wait for that pain to go away and I know over time it will. None of the pain medication seems to work well for that particular issue.
 
Sleeping is difficult for most. I've done better the past few nights with a combination of Tramadol and Tylenol. I take Tramadol and Tylenol PM just before going to sleep. Four to five hours later I take another Tramadol. Then, if I wake up a few hours later (and I usually do) I take extra strength Tylenol. I still wake up frequently, but I think I've averaged five to six hours a night with this approach.

My knees are always stiff when I wake up, and I find movement and ice, of course, helps.
 
I napped a lot today too. I was do tired from last nights not sleeping. I probably won't sleep tonight either! Tomorrow I have a busy day. PT in the afternoon and my daughter took off work to take me for alterations for my mother if the bride dress! At least I won't be stuck in!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Mbone, we have the same surgery date, April Fools' Day! We weren't fools, were we? Sleep and this knee do not go well together I think my six week old knee is very similar to the six-week-old baby and how many times I'm up in the night dealing with it!

This knee likes to get up at 4 AM no matter when I have been up prior to that. So napping is part of my day still.


Pain from elevation was present for me for a long time probably within the last two weeks it has become easier and tolerable.

We have to both hold on to that fact that almost everyone says it will be three months before you don't regret doing the surgery! We are only halfway there!

I hope today was a good day I will stop in again soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom yes I agree our knee is like a baby... only a baby is cute and brings you happiness. Somehow I'm questioning the happiness part! My daughters wedding is June 20 so that is neatly 3 months! I hope things are better by then! I know every day is better, and I knew it was a tough surgery, but I really didn't think it was going to be this bad! I honestly thought I was going to be one of those that breezed through this! Unfortunately I am not breezing through this. It will be a long time before I have the other knee done! I guess that's why people do the two
together! I do not think I could have done that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm nearly 7 weeks post op. I'm still so stiff and tight. Is it normal to feel,like there is a rod or cord restricting my movement? I feel like the tin man and I need an oil can! I hate this uncomfortable feeling. Also when I walk I feel it in the back as if I can't take a complete step. Is this because of my ROM and extension. My ROM is 101 and extension is 7. Is that bad for 7 weeks. I know we are all different...but I'm just wondering.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
From everything that I have read here and my own experience I think your numbers are fine! I do know that most physical therapists and doctors went to see that extension number get to zero first and the ROM number will eventually come.

There is a lot of time where I feel like I have that same type of feeling but it isn't pain anymore. I bet in the next few weeks we both have a lots of positive changes with Our knees! I doubt you will be dancing the jitterbug at the reception but I think by June 20 you should be able to enjoy yourself and the day


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
No, @Mbone - those figures aren't bad for 7 weeks. Remember that this is a slow recovery. Good things take time!

Stiffness and tightness are two ways in which you feel pain. Are you still taking your pain medications on time and in the doses prescribed? Are you still icing? That helps, too.

Most of us have had to deal with sleeplessness. Unfortunately, it's part of recovery, but it will gradually pass and you will be able to sleep again.

Very often, extension is slower to achieve than bending. And you need proper extension to walk without limping.
In case you haven't seen it, have a look at this:
Extension: exercises for improvement
You're probably doing several of these things already.

Best wishes,
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Thank you both for words of encouragement. I will look at those exercises! I just want it over! I never expected it to take so long to get back to normal. I take Tylenol during the day, pain meds for PT and night time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom