TKR I'm on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at 2 weeks today. Finally got the staples out this morning.definitely makes a difference. PT comes to the house 3 days a week. It's no fun and she's VERY gentle. I wish I could say I'm diligent with the exercises after she leaves but I make feeble attempts at the ones that don't hurt.
Night time is definitely the worst. Sleeping is challenging but I now elevate the legs on three pillows and take the Percocet at 11:00 pm and 3:00 am. That seems to help.
I'm seeing small improvements everyday so I'm still motivated but I am looking forward to that time when I'll be able to sleep all night and not take the percosets everyday.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yes, it is tricky sometimes to figure out what is acceptable mild pain and stopping before you go over that line.
 
@Eva41 I know what you mean about doing the exercises. My PT is not very gentle. And I also have a tendency to do the non hurting exercises! I have a hard time inflicting pain on myself. The pain meds are tricky for me too. If I take one instead of 2, I end up taking the other a little while later. It's hard to figure out around PT time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm feeling very depressed today! For some readin, my knee is really bothering me tonight! I think healing is going on inside! Lots of little twinges and Sudden sharp pains that go away as quickly as they come! I've heard that there often is a 2-3 week turning point ! I hope that happens for me....it will be week three on Monday!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I hear what you're saying but I'm betting you're more frustrated than depressed. You've got the wedding shower next week and I'm sure you wanted to be a lot farther along. It's hard to believe it's already been 3 weeks since the surgery and look how far you've come. You probably won't be running the party games but you may be sitting more comfortably or have less pain in that bothersome hip. Hang in there, you have so many fun events happening in your future.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Mbone, I hope you're feeling better and that the depression is starting to lift. I'm just over 10-1/2 weeks post op. For me, at least, I can't say I noticed any tremendous change around 3 weeks but I realized a few days ago that overall, I feel pretty good. Yeah, I still take pain meds when I need to, I still get tired really easily, but I've been released from PT, I went back to work (part-time) last week and hopefully, I'll be back on a horse by mid-summer. So maybe, feeling better can kind of sneak up on you.

Yes, it is tricky sometimes to figure out what is acceptable mild pain and stopping before you go over that line.
@kneeper, I've thought about this a lot (and I tend to be very analytical). I worked with a therapist who rehabbed me through 3 surgeries and several injuries over the past 6 years. So I trust him completely. I'm used to riding that line between discomfort and pain and once or twice pushing just beyond for a moment. I realized during one session that I was anticipating as he was passively stretching and flexing my leg. The effect was that I was holding my breath and tensing, resisting so even what was usually just uncomfortable seemed painful. After that I tried to focus on my breathing and think about relaxing into the stretch or flex and it worked. I know it's probably not common to have that type of relationship with your therapist, that level of trust so it makes me wonder - does our very natural fear of pain coupled with being paired with a stranger that we have no reason to trust make it even easier to blur that already tricky line?
 
I think we have the same surgery date...my quads are finally firing more during PT...my therapists just went to a conference and has started me on some new exercises that are actually used with the wall. I know they sound strange but it's all with strengthening that quad and trusting it, They don't hurt at all. And up until Wednesday I had to have someone start the exercise for my leg and then I could do it by today at therapy I could start the exercise myself...it will come, baby steps! And stay on meds!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@susie09 I like what you. Said about trusting your physical therapist. It is true, trusting then to move your leg around. I know for a fact, that I hold my breath and resist the PT when bending and flexing. I like my home PT and trust her, somewhat, because I had her lady year for my hip. However, it's hard to let go and breath when you are expecting pain. I
Hate that part of PT and have asked her to go east on me. It is 1:01 in the morning.. And is my UP time. I'll be up for a bit , then hopefully fall back to sleep.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm still up too. Have to admit, the sleep disruption part of this really sucks! But I do nap a lot and sleeping with my knee had been a major issue for a few years pre-surgery - I figure it'll take a while to get back to normal.

I just noticed that you're in Illinois. If I hadn't had the TKR this winter, I would have been heading to Champaign next week for the Ill. Marathon. Well, for the 5k really. It's getting to be an annual tradition for a bunch of my friends. Last year I was just going to support and spend time with the others, but then I wanted to honor Boston so I limped the whole 3.1 miles. One of my friends stayed with me so I didn't have to finish by myself. By the next morning I could barely put weight on it so my sister and I went home a day early. Had to stop every hour to walk and stretch. It was still a lot of fun.
 
@susie09 Were you a marathon runner? That's impressive to have participated in spite of your limp! I could never do it. I have so many joint issues, that if one isn't bothering me, the other will. Maybe next year you will be able to participate. I'm from a northwest suburb of chicago! I also did not sleep well before mu surgery, so this up in the middle of the night is almost normal for me. I've been sleeping in my back, which I never thought I would do. I try to go into my side with the pillow, but I still can't get comfortable, I font know east to do with my arms !


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like you are doing a little better. You should be fine for the shower. You won't be able to stand a lot but hopefully sitting with your leg up on a chair will be possible. Bring some ziplock bags and ask for ice to fill them with. Also make sure you have your pain meds with you and take them! Then you should be able to enjoy it! As soon as you get home ice and elevate and rest!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Thanks for the encouraging words. I will definitely take zip locks ! Good idea!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So I went for my 3 week post op. Doc is not pleased with my progress. He said I'm healing quickly and should be farther ahead! So I have to go back next week where he will determine if I need a MUA! I never thought I would be one to need it.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hope you hear from some of the experts here - I would not consider an MUA at four weeks. You have to give the final ok so wait awhile longer. You are so early in recovery I don't understand his thinking. Take care!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Someone will be along soon with a link to more info. Do not submit to MUA this early, it will make things worse.
Post # 6 in your thread from Josephine, re read Myth Busting the Window of Opportunity.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@referee54 hi, I'm posting to you because you seem to answer me before others. I went to doc yesterday and he was not pleased with my recovery. He said I'm healing quickly and might need a MUA. I have to go back next week where he will make a determination. I'm really bummed about it...but if it's what I need ....fine. I love my surgeon so I trust he is doing what's best for me. The big problem is my extension, of course my bend is not great either. Anyway, I needed to tell someone here and although I post it on my recovery thread, I do not seem to get many responses. I think the hip people are nicer...lol! Last year I always had people to listen.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I do not think it proved ineffectiveness. If your doc suggested it would you tell him no?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Mbone - No, not a marathon runner though I'd love to try one at some point. I'm more of a "barn bum", hunter/jumper rider. During my long layoff after rotator cuff surgery, I got into running and made (on-line) friends with a group from all over the country who run or want to start running. About 5 years ago we got together (face to face) in Cincinnati for the Flying Pig Marathon (and 5K, 10K and Half Marathon) and we've had group get-togethers a couple of times a year since. It's been great fun - I'm not a great runner but I've done Half's in Cincinnati and Cleveland, a 10-miler in St. Paul-Minneapolis, and 5K's in Asheville and Champaign-Urbana. But more than anything I want to get back to my first love. My therapist thinks that I should be able to ride by mid-summer but I don't have a horse at the moment. Well, I do but he's retired and living on a farm in Kentucky so I OWN a horse but I don't HAVE a horse to ride right now. My trainer will come up with something for me, I'm sure. I know my right knee will have to be done within the next few years so it's hard to think about buying and starting a new young horse until I know if the knee will be later rather than sooner.

To answer your question, if my doctor suggested an MUA barely 4 weeks after surgery I hope I would be brave enough to refuse. Even at 11 weeks I'm not sure I'd be willing - especially if I felt there was still swelling significant enough to impede bending. But I think I understand how difficult that decision must be when a doctor is standing there telling you it needs to be done. You know, the more posts I read, the more I understand how truly fortunate I've been. I'd guess that my surgeon is ranked among the top in NE Ohio. I know that he's the Chair of the joint replacement program at his hospital and he designed the OR used only for joint replacement at that hospital. At my first appointment he told me all the basic info, explained the surgery, talked about the risks, infection, etc. The one thing that he never mentioned was MUA so I doubt he would suggest it unless the situation was extreme. I didn't even know what MUA meant until I read about it here. In the hospital after surgery, he never touched my knee/leg. Every morning he'd ask me to lift my leg and gave me a thumbs up for whatever movement I did. The 2 times I saw him in his office since surgery, the only touching has been to support my leg when I raised it to show him my extension. When he gave me an exercise to do that he particularly likes, he talked me through it and demonstrated it himself. He didn't try to "manipulate" me through it. Honestly, I wish I could clone him for you. It sounds like there's a need for more doctors like him though he does have that typical surgeon's bedside manner - not cold but not warm and fuzzy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom