TKR I'm on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Eva I don't have the energy! Are you in any pain? I'm so uncomfortable! I didn't think this would hurt so bad. When I sit I'm stiff standing up, when I walk, I'm stiff walking, when laying down, stiff again. Now I'm sometimes feeling little twitches from my incision, but that does not bother me. It's the stretching and bending that hurts. I don't think I have a high threshold for pain!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'm on top of my pain by taking the medication when it's time.i even set the alarm last night for the 2:00 dose. I'm taking 2 percosets every four hours. I was suppose to take 2 OxyContin every 12 hours but I never needed it. I'm stiff but I'm not uncomfortable. It's hard to get up from a seating position.raised commode chair over toilet is a God send. I walk every hour and a half for about 10 minutes. My bedroom is on the first floor and .....I have an amazing husband who should be given "care giver of the year award" who keeps me motivated. I understand everyone heals differently. We just have to listen to our bodies and do what works best for us. I start in home PT Monday so I think my comfort level in in for big wake up call.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My in home started Friday and they and here on the weekends! I'm not going to lie... I hate it! I know it's necessary, but I don't have to like it! Today, walking is slightly easier, with a walker, but the stiffness drives me nuts. And it's painful! It feels like things are happening inside my knee. Little pains and tugs and clicks! This tells me healing is going on inside. I take 2 norcos every 4 hours. I happen to wake up at that 4 hour mark! I know things will get better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
It feels like things are happening inside my knee.
It's not little things happening now, it's the BIG thing that happened 7 days ago!
I take 2 norcos every 4 hours. I happen to wake up at that 4 hour mark!
Oooh I wonder why? It couldn't be the pain that woke you, could it? :heehee:

Now you need to go back to my post (#6) and read your recovery articles! ALL of them!
 
I have a hard time elevating my leg. It hurts to elevate. It feels like something is pilling, the extension maybe. Should it be uncomfortable? And sometimes the wright of the gel packs bothers me. Would this go away with a nice machine?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
The key for me on elevating was to make sure the whole leg was supported. The extension can be uncomfortable at first.
 
Yes the extension is the uncomfortable part!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Mbone, good morning! It looks like you might be occasionally posting on the pre-op side of the forum. I found your post- op thread tucked deep in the the threads of many users. When you post, the most current post goes to the top of the list.
It sounds like you're struggling a little bit. Look at how far you have come already! I'm sure by the time your daughter has her wedding shower, you will be on a cane. 2 weeks is a long time a way and by the time the wedding comes, you'll be ready to dance!
Hang in there! I'll be following you on the recovery side.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks Eva41. Should I start a new one or try to find my post op one? Is having two very very hard? I cannot even imagine it!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
This is your post-op thread. Just reply to this one and you're reaching out to all the post-op forum readers.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Have a discussion with your therapist before you even start. Make sure they understand you are willing to work but you will not hurt yourself or allow them to hurt you. Be firm.
 
I know, but then I worry that if I don't get the bend or extension, it's because I was not willing to work harder. Then I read things that say to be careful because of the swelling. So there does not seem to be much of an in between. I think I have a low threshold for pain.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
You don't have to work harder to get ROM or extension! Read the articles that Josephine provided for you, and take the BoneSmart mantras to heart - NO PAIN = MORE GAIN. Do not let anyone hurt you, nor make you do something that hurts. As for your PT - tell them straight out, you are not going to lay there and be hurt, that's what I did and they took me seriously.

You're very early in recovery, you've got lots of swelling still - you aren't going to have the bend or extension you (or them!) want right now. Concentrate on elevating properly, icing as much as you can possibly tolerate, take your pain meds around the clock, rest, and heal. The swelling, stiffness, and pain will subside and then you will be able to move forward with your ROM and extension.
 
I often wonder if I'm elevating properly? I read the article and looked at the pictures, yet I'm not sure.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I piled up three pillows and then elevated my leg---like this:

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Unfortunately, you are on your back. I used gel packs, those who have ice machines seem to love them. I was reluctant to buy something I would only use for two months and then have to store somewhere. I have six gel packs and just keep rotating them.
 
That's what I do with my gel packs also. I'm noticing, when is put an ice pack on the back of my knee, the back of my calf becomes itchy. Even seemed like there was a little rash, but it went away quickly. I tried the ice in the back again, and same thing. So I guess I cannot ice back there.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Have a lot if you.used the CPM machine?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
You've been pretty quiet lately. How are things going?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yesterday was my 2week point. My knee seems better, but still not there is bending and extending. This worries me although PT says not to worry. I tend to cry during PT. I know it is said not to let anyone hurt you, but that is difficult. I find it hard to believe Thant no one else's PT hurts them. There seems to be a fine line between acceptable pain and unacceptable pain. I've read all the articles, more than once. I just wish I'd wake up one day with no swelling, no pain, and be able to walk and do anything I want. I've heard the turning point is 2-3 weks. I'm anticipating this very eagerly!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom