THR I'm on the other side now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A small update, I graduated today, no more cane!!! Still working on walking properly and strengthening the quad muscles on my right side.
I see the surgeon on Monday 12/09/13, I'm getting a picture of my x-rays this time!! :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] I'm on the other side now!
Congrats on losing that cane!!!! These milestones really help us realize that we are truly getting better and better. Keep up the good work.

Take care. We care.
 
That's Fantastic! You must be more confident too!
One of my therapists said the cane caused my shoulder/back discomfort...and why I walked like a penguin so I ditched it.
I hope your visit with your OS goes very well on Mon. I have one on Wed. Cheers!
 
calikat It has been so long since I have gone dancing, maybe for New Years I will attempt some dance moves!!! :heehee:

UHOHHO I am having back spasms tonight and went and saw the primary doctor tonight just to get some new muscle relaxers and pain meds. He said its because of the Arthritis, I'm sure it had to do with how I was walking as well.

How is the HO is it gone?

Good Luck to both of us on our appointments, Cheers to you too!
 
sunsetbiking I am sorry you are still having pain. Can you get to a massage therapist? that's how I am coping with the femoral nerve damage. Along with a heating pad at night/ stretches are working.
You have been fighting a tough battle.
In my mind the HO is gone, the X-ray on Wed should confirm it. I never not had stabbing pain since the first THR. But finally my hip is at peace.
I hope you have some relief soon. Keep us posted on your followup. Cheers.
 
This is just a small speed bump, the back spasms started last year and they flare up every 3 or 4 months and last about 3-4 days. I have found that a heating pad helps, I was seeing a chiropractor and it helped some. I thought about going to get a massage, I was hoping muscle relaxers and pain meds would take care of it.

After yesterdays appointment and the confirmation of all the arthritis in the spine is a little disheartening. I'm really getting sick of being crippled, and fighting to live pain free. Sorry for being so depressing. I am still young, at least in my mind, Lol! and I want to be able enjoy life and I want to be active again!
 
Oh Sunset. :( I am sorry. I have arthritis in my spine too so I literally feel your pain. I had the THR first to see if it helped at all with the back pain. With the back I am looking at a multiple level fusion, but it really is not a good option since my entire lumbar spine has pathology. When you fuse the joints I guess it can then compromise the other levels. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never be pain free, but I am hoping to be functional. I am fighting to remain my active happy self. :gaah: My return to work this week has helped. I don't have time to dwell on what my life used to be. Are you taking any medication? I started celebrex about a month ago. It helps take the edge off. I am having hand surgery...again for arthritis in two weeks. I am aslo tired of living in pain.
 
UHOHHO How did the femoral nerve damage happen? Is that the numbness that you were having on your non operated side? I am sorry that you are dealing with that. :/ But really happy the the HO is gone!
 
I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never be pain free
I feel the same way!
The doctor put me on Valium 5mg 3x a day and Norco 7.5/325 I have never taken Valium before and the first dose did buzz me up a bit, and that was about it. I ended taking 2 more doses during the night. I'm just going to chill out in my bed today with a heating pad and hope the spasms settle down so I can at least function.

Good luck on your hand surgery. How is work going for you?
I'm sick of living in pain also, I do have moments with no pain, but it just seems to be short lived.
 
I cannot even remember when I was pain free...LOL! As long as I can keep it to a 3 I am happy because I can go about my day. I am really hoping I can get back to my fitness activities at some point.

Work is great actually. Feels good to be back and helps me feel like a productive member of society, although my leg does not like it quite as much as my brain. :wink: I am really lucky to have a position where I only have to go in three days a week. It would be more of a challenge to go 5 days a week. As we speak, I am sitting on a big ice pack. I found muscle relaxers to help quite a bit in the past. I should try them again at night.
 
sunsetbiking @ calikat …. i read with a heavy heart of the challenges you have ahead. I do wish you both find a way to manage the pain.…i do believe there truly are people that care and want to help.
I can relate to having a purpose by returning to work and having something other than my hip to focus on. The first week was a struggle…the rest of me wanting the pain meds…but I resisted and it paid off this week because I even worked overtime by choice. It gets better but I had to listen to my hip and slow down when it decided.
The femoral nerve damage was probable because the HO grows anywhere it pleases and can encapsulate the nerve. My OS and his team did phenomenal work by cutting out the bone and leaving my nerve intact….i cried for weeks happy tears every time i saw a wheelchair. We can do this.
 
UHOHHO Thank you....I understand how you feel and crying happy tears....I am a little teary eye right now, little from the emotional turmoil of the pain the past few days and maybe from the new meds.
I told my PT that I was just waiting for something to give....my hip recovery has been pretty much pain free, it's just pain it other places.

I'm not going to let this get to me! Next summer IS GOING TO BE MY SUMMER!!! I will do everything I didn't get to do this summer! :)
This is what I plan on doing this summer broken link removed: https://www.tour-de-troit.org/tourdetroitride I wanted to do this last summer but I was recovering from my THR. :bicycle1:
 
I had a look at the site...6000 cyclists this past summer...wow thats an event. Good for you to set a goal!!!
I had bought a cycling mag last wknd getting myself in that frame of mind...( i hate the recumbent ones) asked my PT if I could try mine on it's spinner...well I dusted off the cobwebs this morning and got on it. no pain...I swing my left leg over no problems....that has been my goal for 6yrs. now I will think about getting ready for the spring.
 
UHOHHO Yes it's a big event. My daughter and I we're going to do it last summer and we almost signed up, but I told her lets wait and see after my doctor appointment, I had a funny feeling that I wouldn't be able to do the ride. I guess I was right, cause I was recovering from my THR that day!

Good news from the surgeon the hip looks great and he said I can ride a bike, and I can go to the gym!!!!! I almost cried when he said I could do everything. :dancy: :dancy:

As for my knee, he x ray it and the joint looks great, no loosening and no signs of infection. My ROM is at about 70 degrees, he suggested some therapy and he is very confident that I will get my ROM back. :)

I also got a picture of my hip x ray. I'll try and post it with my phone.
 
Sweet news!! It is so liberating to have someone tell you that you CAN do something. Even if you can't right away…just knowing you CAN ride a bike. I'm so happy for you! Nice X-ray too!
 
I was so happy when I left there today! I now have something to work towards, I will be riding before the winter is over!

Maybe Santa will bring me a spinner for my road bike!!! :heehee: :heehee:
 
Pic looks good! :spin: It is always helpful to have a goal!:bicycle1: How did I not know you were from Michigan? Or maybe I did but forgot.:thud: I grew up in Davison...near Flint.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom