TKR I'm back again

Thanks Dolphin,
I am really sorry you're having such a difficult time right now and have hope for some fresh insight from the new surgeon today that will help get you to where you want to be. Just know you're never alone here and if you feel it's best for you to step away right now, we will respect that. Many members here have experienced ups and downs also, their situations may look different than yours, but they understand the heartache of of setbacks, revisions, infection etc and have a sympathetic heart toward others dealing with recovery issues. We'll be here if you need us and until then wishing you strength and healing one day at a a time.
@Dolphin5
 
Hi Layla. Thank you for your message. So an update on my appt with the new OS. He was really nice. He said that if my mobility is exactly the same now as when I came out of hospital, with no difference at all, then there is a problem. He said it's not fluid. The x-ray is inconclusive and not good at picking up a potential problem. Wants me to have a CT scan.

He said it could be that a component is not aligned properly. This could also apply to the knee cap. He has referred me urgently for a scan and said it'll hopefully be within two weeks (NHS). If I've not heard by then I can have it done privately. A scan privately is £400 so initially I'm thinking two weeks isn't long, I'll wait, but then I'm thinking that two weeks IS a long time when I am in my current situation. Still deciding.

He said there's a 'complex knee' clinic in Portsmouth which he'd like me to go to after the CT scan results are through as there would be 4 people who would discuss and decide what needs to be done. He said he could then do the op. I asked if it would be a part revision but he said it would be a full one.

I mentioned Bonesmart and that it's mentioned on the back page of the Joint Register booklet and he said something like 'that's not good for me when you know about that and I don't'. He looked up Bonesmart straightaway. He also agrees that exercises should not hurt, only pushed to a certain degree, and adjust accordingly if the knee hurts later etc.

So it's now a waiting game for me.

I would just mention, for your information, that I came across a lady recently who had a knee replacement 12 years ago and the surgeon fitted the wrong size knee! The knee is noticeably a LOT bigger than the other knee. The surgeon virtually admitted it and offered to re-do the knee. Obviously she declined! She decided to live with it as she can bend the knee. I can't remember whether she said she's in pain with it.

My other thoughts for me are whether I'll need to take legal action against the surgeon if he has messed up. There are at least two solicitors on the island, no win no fee, who specialise in medical issues.

I'm resting today as I definitely overdid it yesterday and was in the worse state for many, many months pain wise and actually walking.
 
Hi @Dolphin5 Not sure if you are still on here. I just wanted to offer some encouragement from someone who had knee replacement surgery two years ago and had a lot of setbacks. My ROM also was not good after several months, then at 5 months I went to visit friends in Hampshire and the operated knee unexpectedly gave way whilst walking. It was then very painful and swollen. When I returned home I saw my surgeon and he said I had a tear to the joint capsule. However, the good news was that the knee joint and ligaments were ok. He said the tear would have been caused when the knee unexpectedly gave way but he wasn’t sure why it had given way. So I was to carry on with my usual exercises, try and walk as much as I can but reducing the walking if the knee feels sore, then build up again. Also ice and elevate He also said that full recovery from TKR takes 12-18 months.
I just offer this up as a contrast to some posters who had a swift recovery. At a year I was able to walk much more then at 18 months able to walk as far as I wanted - 3 miles on coast paths.
Maybe this won’t help or encourage you but I hope it might and that you get some useful information after the scan and can see a way forward.
 
I’m very glad you were able to get a second opinion already, and that a CT scan has been ordered. That is very good news!
 
Thanks for updating us, Dolphin. I feel encouraged by the fact that you seem to have connected well with the new OS. A fresh set of eyes and new perspective can make all the difference! This new surgeon may be just what you need to help turn that corner, even if it means a revision. I will feel for you if you have to go through that, but you can't go on as you are now. I am encouraged and hopeful that he will get you back on course and back to truly living again. Hold onto hope...there's still a path forward and this could be the turning point. Hopefully you're feeling good about this and your day feels lighter. Stay in touch! :)
@Dolphin5
 
Your new doctor sounds wonderful and someone who wants to get to the root of your problem. That's good news and half the battle! Now, to get that CT done in a reasonable amount of time, sooner rather than later!
 
Hi Dolphin - I had a right TKR on 13th Jan so very similar to you timewise and my ROM remains disappointing at around 60 degrees, I’ve also had both hips replaced and one of them revised and past experience has taught me to play the long game, I’m also in the UK, you will get there one way or another I’m sure of it and I have faith I will too

My knee was a complex valgus op and the surgeon only got the new joint to 90 degrees in theatre so my view is being 60 trying to get to 90 isn’t that bad given my complex history of Multiple epiphyseal displasia (MED)

Dear Bonesmart staff i don’t want my own
recovery thread btw or to become an insider I’m happy to stay a basic member, thankyou.
 
60 degrees or maybe a bit more has thankfully allowed me to drive and just this week I’ve gone onto one crutch, stay positive Dolphin, I know it’s hard but you must.
 
Oh last thing, I didn’t bother with physio btw as in the past like with many others they’ve tried to force the knee and I know my own body and what is good for it, I’ve stuck to walking and gentle stretches plus all the required rest etc up to this point. I’m just taking 2-4 paracetamol a day and 2-4 Ibruprofen as required.

My surgeon isn’t looking into an MUA either and agrees with me that I’ll get there in time, it took me 2 years to fully recover from my revision hip so I truly believe at what 15/16 weeks or so I’ve got a long time to increase my ROM albeit slowly, your situation may well be different but I just wanted to share my situation and how I’m dealing with a stubbornly stiff knee recovery.
 
Hi all. As ever, thank you for your messages which are always welcome.

Stockie73 you have a very positive attitude and I'm glad you're able to drive. Indigo knee how strange your knee giving way and giving you a good outcome. Keep going both of you!

The difference for me is that I'm well and truly stuck on 45o. In fact the new OS said it was probably less than that on Wednesday.

I did ring the secretary yesterday to try and book a private CT scan for next week but she said the NHS is coming through quicker than private due to a shortage of radiographers. She also said I couldn't book one now as the OS had referred me to NHS. Apparently you can't do both. So I have to wait. He did mark it as urgent for me.

I'm reconciling myself to having to have the knee done again. I'll go private if need be. My son said yesterday that with a bit of luck I could be all done by the end of the summer and all back to normal. Hmmmm. Perhaps, depending on how quickly things move. Which I'm not at the moment, moving quickly that is .

I can't help thinking today how, apart from the pain, the trauma and frustration etc, I've wasted 4 months of my life. But it is what it is and if need be I WILL sue. At least I now have a (sort of) diagnosis. And I do feel in safe hands with this new OS.

I think I have a few more days on Bonesmart. I do feel it's best for me to come off the site, at least for now. If I stay on it I'll feel obliged to check in every few days and I don't want to be doing that. I want to at least pretend there's nothing wrong with me!!!!

Wednesday was a wake up call for me in overdoing it. Barely able to walk in the evening. And thank goodness for the elevation pillow. I put it on the sun lounger and am able to get up due to using it as a lever. I wouldn't be able to get up otherwise.

The other good thing is that I'm no longer doing any of the exercises, doing two hours elevation a day or icing much. That's very nice! No wonder the heel slides etc were so difficult/painful.

I'll keep responding on here whilst still a member. Thank you again, to all of you.
 
@stockie73 one of my bugbears is not being able to drive.

Whilst everyone's pain threshhold is different I'd be interested to know on a scale of 1-10 how you rate your pain/discomfort.

I'm taking two strong painkillers every evening plus 2-4 paracetamol each day. My pain/discomfort is mostly about 3 out of 10. Wednesday evening was very bad, probably about 7/8 but I'd obviously overdone it and that was the exception.

I'm interested in anybody else's pain levels at 15 weeks, although of course I'm in a different situation to most on here.

Thanks.
 
Hi Dolphin - I’d rate my current pain level as low maybe 3/10 as its not pain as such that’s the problem more the discomfort from stiffness which is as you know very frustrating, I’ve had problems with my hips and knees from early childhood so I’m used to being in pain and I do try to stay upbeat, some days are better than others, I wish you well whatever you choose to do, take care.
 
@Dolphin5
@stockie73

I understand the frustration you're both dealing with. I am sorry for the pain, stiffness, minimal ROM and general dissatisfaction you're feeling as you are experiencing less than optimal recoveries at 3.5 months post op.
With that said, and as, stockie73, realizes, a 3/10 pain level at this point is not considered high, but within the normal range for many members at this stage of healing. Pain that is improving over time is a good sign whereas pain that is sharp, increasing, or constant can indicate a problem.

You can't really compare your pain level to that of others at the same point in recovery. First because we each have different pain thresholds due to our genetics, our past experiences with pain and even our mental state. Even though you both experienced TKR, the surgeons techniques, the type of implant and the surgeons skill can affect our healing and level of discomfort / pain. Also, our pre-op condition matters as those who have severe arthritis and have been in pain for a long time, limping and using an assistive aid may have a tougher recovery.
PT matters too, whether you've had any, whether it was too aggressive. Also, depression and anxiety can slow healing and even amplify post op pain. So comparing pain levels isn't advised and can be very misleading.

I hope you both have a pleasant Friday and a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
@Dolphin5 … I would be very surprised if the surgeon you’re going to see will recommend a revision for you at this point. They are not done because of stiffness. If you cannot bend beyond 45 degrees, it is likely because of adhesions (tough scar tissue) that have developed that can inhibit your range of motion. This is treated with a Maniuplation Under Anesthesia (MUA). I know I’ve mentioned that as an option before and should this surgeon recommend it, I hope you’ll consider the procedure.
 
Hi all and thank you for your messages. I sometimes get a sharp pain like a needle stabbing my knee several times. It comes on quickly and then disappears. As Stockie73 says, the pain is manageable, it's the immobility, but I was curious about the level of pain at this stage.

The OS said he would not do a MUA due to the fact that my mobility, as mentioned several times, hasn't moved at all, since the day of the op. Not at all. He feels there could be a misalignment with one/some of the components. If so, then a MUA would not help and could make things worse. It is not just stiffness Jamie. My knee is solid and the OS could see that. Hopefully a CT scan will show the problem. I'll keep you posted.
Have a good weekend everyone,
 
He feels there could be a misalignment with one/some of the components. If so, then a MUA would not help and could make things worse.
I think you have a very wise doctor to use caution and do some tests before recommending a treatment. I really hope he will be able to help you.
 
So sorry about the stabbing pain. Thankfully it's not constant.
I do feel it's best for me to come off the site, at least for now. If I stay on it I'll feel obliged to check in every few days and I don't want to be doing that
You can check in only when it suits you, Dolphin. As you know, you can visit here as needed, no worries about schedules or daily check ins. If you're feeling super responsible about regular updates, consider letting us know how often you might check in, let's say once a week, or twice a week, or every two weeks...whatever best suits your life and we won't worry about you unless it goes way beyond the amount of time you've targeted for updates on your progress.

Please try not to view this time as wasting your life. It was out of your control and you've learned what you can tolerate, what questions to ask and how to advocate for yourself going forward. Your recovery has not been a pleasant experience, but a time of learning. I hope you're able to get the CT scan soon so you can finally get some answers about what's holding you back. You deserve clarity and a clear path forward.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend, Dolphin. :)
 
Sorry….I missed your information from this new surgeon about the potential for a misalignment. That is obviously a different matter. It will be good to have this evaluation so will know the best next step.

The stabbing pain can mean different things. If it comes on out of the blue with no warning and you are not moving around, it’s likely nerves regenerating. This type of nerve pain can be quite strong, but it’s a good thing. It should come and go pretty quickly if it’s nerve pain. If the pain comes when you make specific movements, then it’s most likely soft tissue related that can come from a variety of reasons. This is certainly something you should describe in detail to your surgeon during your consultation. Either of these situations can be quite normal. The pain you want to worry about would be associated with weight bearing or particular movements where you can duplicate the pain by performing the activity. It doesn’t sound like that is what is going on.
 
Last edited:
Hi everyone. Thank you for your comments and encouragement. The stabbing pain is very intermittent, perhaps every few days and always when at rest.

I rang the x-ray dept yesterday to try and get a rough idea of the waiting times for the scan. Slightly annoying that whilst I've been referred, the OS didn't put it as an urgent referral. She said waiting time is 2/3 weeks. She said if it is an urgent referral it could make a difference. I rang the OS's secretary and said perhaps there was a slip up with him not making it an urgent referral. She said she would speak to him. This was about 4pm. I'll ring her again on Tuesday (we have a bank holiday on Monday).

I'm now not sure whether to try and get somewhere else to do a private scan. 2/3 weeks doesn't sound a long time but it does mean an extra 2/3 weeks waiting for me to get back to normal. I'm also a bit concerned about the strain on my hips with me limping. It's some 16 years since the hip replacements. They are given a life span of 10-15 years!!

We're still having really nice weather here in the UK which is such a bonus.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom