Guest viewing is limited

TKR I'm back again

The stabbing pain is very intermittent, perhaps every few days and always when at rest.
This definitely sounds like your nerves are regenerating. These are unfortunately quite normal, though extremely painful. When I would have one, (the zinger), I'd rub my knee and try to feel joy knowing that it was healing.

Hopefully, you will be able to get that urgent scan order.
 
Thankfully the stabbing pain is intermittent and hopefully you're able to get the OS to note the CT scan as "urgent" and you get in sooner. :fingersx:

Long term success of implants can vary depending upon the materials used, the surgical technique, your age and activity level. Hopefully you still have some mileage left with those hips. It will be one less thing to worry about.
Yay for nice weather! Spring has sprung. :flwrysmile: Enjoy the weekend, Dolphin!
@Dolphin5
 
If you are limping, please be sure you use a walker or at least a cane to keep you from that. It’s not good for your knee or the rest of your body. A walker for the time being is definitely the best to keep you walking in a more normal way.

I’m not sure where you got the 10-15 year timeframe on your hips, but these days hip replacements last much longer than that….at least 20 years and possible more. So, while you need to take care of your hips, you shouldn’t worry about them wearing out.

It’s good that you’re keeping on top of the scan so that you get it as soon as possible.
 
Hi all.

A quick update. I'm having the CT scan on Saturday. My consultant Mr Osborne did ask for an urgent referral. I'm over the moon about this. It's a big step (I wish literally ) in the right direction of moving forward. Lucky me it's on the NHS saving me £400. I've made an appt to see Mr Osborne Thursday morning, hoping the results will be through by then, otherwise I may have to wait until the following Wednesday to see him. This is privately which will save me many weeks of waiting. I'm so hoping the scan will show what is wrong with my knee. A diagnosis is always a huge relief with any medical matter.

I'll keep you updated.
 
Good luck with the scan. Thanks so much for your subscription renewal so we can better support you. We’ll be awaiting your updates.
 
Best Wishes for the scan on Saturday, Dolphin.
Hopefully you receive results quickly and learn what needs to happen so you're able to move beyond this point. Good to read you are renewing your Insider subscription. :thumb:
I hope you have a nice Friday and weekend!
@Dolphin5
 
Thank you everyone. Hope you all have a good weekend. We're still having wonderful weather here. So uplifting.
 
I've made an appt to see Mr Osborne Thursday morning, hoping the results will be through by then, otherwise I may have to wait until the following Wednesday to see him.
Before you go to this appointment, why not call to see if the results are in. If they aren't yet, then it'll save you a needless trip?

I hope you find a solution quickly. We are here to support you, and I'm thrilled that you renewed your membership!
 
I have had 2 knee replacements. I allowed them to push me to do aggressive physical therapy the first time, and the second time, I did not. I recovered a lot faster the second time.

You don't say what angle you can bend to, and how straight you get your leg. Your surgeon will advise you if you need surgical intervention.

19 times a day with the heel slide? No wonder you cannot raise your foot higher. Stretching ends up weakening the muscles, so the non-stretching exercises are for strength, and the stretch exercises are to increase range of motion, but the ROM stretches decrease strength for a while after stretching.

The stretch I was shown this time was much less difficult than the one I had the first time. This is from my PT the second time around. Sit on the edge of a straight chair. Move the toe of the surgical leg back behind the edge of the chair. You can pull on your pants leg. The heel does not stay on the ground. Rest the ball of your foot on the ground until the foot gets far enough back to rest the toe of your shoe/sneaker.

My cousin was a lot stiffer than I was after her 2 knee replacements. Her surgeon told her that you cannot get more ROM than you had before surgery. A lot of people's ROM decreases a little from what it was before surgery.

I agree with everyone: a swollen leg cannot be bent as far. Because I had swelling, it made bending very difficult the first month for me. (I am 7 1/2 months). To address the swelling: elevate above your heart while sitting and in bed. Do not dangle your feet while seated. Walk every hour. Ice, ice, ice. I used an inflatable triangle pillow on the footrest of my recliner, plus a pillow on top of that. I used an "ice machine", which my surgeon told me can be used 24/7 when seated or in bed. Be sure to wrap your knee with a king size pillow case to protect the skin, but an ice machine never reaches freezing temps. because it is water, not ice. Walk more day by day. Getting your blood to circulate will help move out the excess fluid. I was very worried for a while because I thought I might get lymphodema in the leg.
 
Thanks for your comments, @SunnyKnitterGal. While your stretch may have worked well for you, I must add this caveat.

Adminstrative Note: While we encourage members to share exercise/activities that have worked for them, we urge members to be cautious when trying any new exercises not prescribed by your surgeon or physical therapist - especially if you are in the early weeks of your recovery. In general, when trying new exercises, only add one at a time and build up the sets and reps gradually. Don't push through pain and be careful not to overdo. Listen to your body. If you have increased pain the following day, your body is telling you it is not ready for the movement. Wait a few days before trying again.
 
@Dolphin5 I was thrilled when reading that you have your scan tomorrow!
It will be such a relief to have that completed and to have a diagnosis given as to what is going on.
I'm not sure what to wish for you, but whatever it is let's get to a resolution, right?
You have been very strong with your determination to get answers for yourself. Very admirable. That determination will help you to get through this.

Wishing you the best with the upcoming CT scan and I hope you get some news back quickly with the follow up report.
 
Thank you for all your comments. My scan is now tomorrow instead of today. @sistersinhim Mr Osborne's secretary will be checking that the results are in before my appt. If not then she'll ring me to cancel. If that happens then i'm hoping that instead of having to wait a week to see him he may ring me instead once the results are in.

@SunnyKnitterGal thank you for your message but I've done all that you suggest, and more. ROM is still 45o but Mr Osborne reckons it was nearer to 40o when he saw me. It was early evening. My leg swells more and more during the day.

My initial hope is that the scan actually shows the problem. I'm anxious about it not showing what's wrong. My other hope is that my operation will be a part revision but the surgeon has already said it will be a full revision.

I'll let you know when I have news.
 
Hi Dolphin,
You may get lucky and not need a revision? Wishing you the best with the scan tomorrow.
Happy Mother's Day one day early. Hope it's a good one for you. :SUNsmile:
@Dolphin5
 
Thanks Layla. Mother's Day is in March in the UK but I hope it's a happy day for you all.
 
Whoopsie, sorry.
It slipped my mind that you celebrated Mother's Day in March, but no harm in celebrating you twice, right? :wink:
Hoping today brings some clarity and a path forward for you. Please keep us posted, Dolphin.
@Dolphin5
 
Agree with others here not to allow painful physio.
It really isn't a good idea and can cause damage.
 
Whoopsie, sorry.
It slipped my mind that you celebrated Mother's Day in March, but no harm in celebrating you twice, right? :wink:
Hoping today brings some clarity and a path forward for you. Please keep us posted, Dolphin.
@Dolphin5
Mothering Sunday in the UK is a church festival on the 4th Sunday of Lent. Apparently it was originally a time for everyone to return to their Mother church ( where they were baptised)- so servants had time to go home and see their families. It has gradually got changed to honouring Mothers and commercialised but the date stuck with the Church calendar.
 
Hi Dolphin,
Just checking in to see how the scan went and whether you've heard anything yet?
Let us know, if you care to share.
Hope you're having a good week so far.
@Dolphin5
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom