TKR I'm back again

Please be honest, have you come across anyone on here who at over 3 months is still at only 45o?
Not that I recall, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been anyone.
There is the possibility that you can improve this, but you're at a time where the effort and intensity you put into this matters. If you're willing, Can you walk us through a typical day, like from the time you wake up to when you go to bed and include when, or if, you're doing stretches, exercises (naming any) icing, resting, and walking around, in or outdoors. That way we can see what's working and what you can try tweaking. It may help you to see it typed out also, rather than just noting icing and elevation times. Is there housework involved, changing sheets, making the bed, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, cooking meals and cleaning up afterward? Any / all of this activity counts.
 
Hi @Dolphin5
Since it is Easter weekend and CricketHip is part time here, she may not be available today...I am not positive though. In an effort to get you an answer so you are able to begin the exercises, this is what I know -
In the original post I left on MLD, I did tag and mention it was CricketHip's exercise I was sharing, refer to Post 178. In the post she specifies "While lying supine" (lying horizontally).

If you're referencing the tapping exercises to do yourself also, most of the time I see people doing them while standing, but I believe you can do the tapping while sitting or lying also, whichever allows you to remain relaxed and reach the area comfortably.

You'll find an abundance of videos on YouTube that you can watch and follow along with someone going through these exercises. Check it out.
Happy Saturday!
 
Since the lymph system works on pretty much a gravity basis, it would be best to be lying down.
 
Yes, it’s best to be supine, it opens up the area where the lymph nodes are sitting in the groin. Right where your leg meets the trunk of the body.
Supine= lying down.
Have a great weekend.
@Dolphin5
 
Hi all

Someone has suggested using something called BiOFREEZE. Would something like this be an alternative to ice packs? Or be used as well?

Thanks.
 
I have used Biofreeze for muscle aches. I wouldn’t use it anywhere near my knee. It is a cream or a gel, and can be quite intense, with a cold burning feeling. It isn’t anything like an icepack and would not be a substitute.
 
Good Afternoon Dolphin, I hope your day is off to a good start.
You can find a lot of information on Biofreeze on the internet.
Biofreeze is topical containing menthol which creates a cooling sensation, temporarily blocking pain signals. It can bring speedy relief for mild to moderate joint pain. Can be used when ice isn't an option. It's a short term effect and doesn't reduce inflammation or swelling or the sensation of pain.

Ice on the other hand does reduce inflammation, swelling and pain, especially after injury and you are recovering from a controlled trauma to the knee. I'd recommend ice, and consider Biofreeze for convenience or if quick pain relief is needed. You can use both at different times. Hope this helps. :)
@Dolphin5
 
@Dolphin5 Your question about Biofreeze is a very good one.

The Professional Strength Biofreeze can be helpful for days when you will be traveling in a car for a longer period of time, or a shopping/doctor visit, etc. In other words, when packing and using an ice pack isn't as easy to do.
Then the Biofreeze could be very comforting to your knee.
I think some drug stores give you the option for buying the Professional Strength, or Amazon.

Its advised that you don't use ice immediately after applying the Biofreeze. The Menthol in Biofreeze doesn't do well with ice applied, it can increase the risk of burning your skin.

I personally found that after an hour the skin damage risk is minimal, but did use a blanket to further buffer contact with my skin.

As @Layla mentioned above, the Menthal can create a cooling effect and mimics the sensation of having applied an ice pack. The other interesting ingredient is Arnica which is known for having an anti-inflammatory effect, but
the amount found in Biofreeze wouldn't be effective for long term. I think you are limited to how many applications you can apply in a days time, too.
It's really difficult to find a good replacement from using the good old ice packs! :ice:

I hope you have a great weekend.
 
Hi, @Dolphin5…..how are things going for you? We haven’t heard a progress update on your knee for a while and I hope things are progressing for you and how your daily activity and exercise are going.
 
Hi Jamie

Thank you for thinking of me. Unfortunately nothing has changed for me. It'll be 15 weeks on Wednesday since my op and despite doing absolutely everything, icing, elevating, walking, exercises etc I'm still stuck on 45o ROM. I know there's no improvement as it's just as hard now, as it was a few days post op, to get into my car.

I had an x-ray 12 days ago. I'm seeing a different OS on Wednesday. He's a top guy apparently for knees, and revisions. He's mentioned on the Top Doctors site and my friend speaks very highly of him. He did a revision on her knee 5 months ago. It's private but I'm happy to pay rather than wait months for a NHS appt to see him. I'm hoping he can shed light on what's wrong with my knee. There's something wrong.

I've cancelled my subscription on Bonesmart. It runs out in about a week so I'll be able to let you all know what the surgeon says on Wednesday. I'll always be grateful for all the help, encouragement, advice and knowledge I've gained from being on here. Everybody is so caring. It's really helped but there has to be something wrong for me to not to have gained even the tiniest bit of improvement in nearly 4 months.

Oh, and I've been doing the lymphatic drainage twice a day for over two weeks now, and had a hour and a quarter done by a trained MLD person a week ago, but still no change in ROM!!
 
For the past week or so I've been walking my dogs 35 minutes. It's a bit of a challenge. 5 minutes to where I can let them off the lead, then 5 minutes on a slightly precarious path, then 5 minutes on a level path. It takes me longer coming back due to going down one slope and one hill. I'm a bit anxious on most of the walk trying to make sure I don't fall! So only moderately enjoyable but at least the 3 of us are getting fresh air, exercise and vitamin D.

I'm wondering how long it takes a person to get their energy levels back. I'm still taking 2 fairly strong painkillers in the evening and paracetamol during the day, so sleep deeply, but still end up dozing off late afternoon, evening etc. would the painkillers make me tired or still recovering from the op?
 
would the painkillers make me tired or still recovering from the op?
It’s probably both, but especially recovering from the surgery would be the biggest reason for being tired. Healing is taking a lot of your energy, leaving less energy for activity.

I’m sorry that your ROM has not improved and I’m very happy that you have an appointment with a different doctor. I do hope he can help you. Might your friend be able to go with you for moral support? A second set of ears is always good at appointments.
 
Hello Dolphin,
Wow, you've made some nice progress. Thirty Five minutes of walking is quite an accomplishment. I am wondering if you're able to drive the dogs to the area where it's level and feels more safe for you to walk?
It is understandable that feeling anxious about the walk takes some of the joy out of being outdoors in the fresh air and sunshine.

Pain medications can make you sleepy. As far as energy goes, our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping. So don't feel guilty about sleeping. However, if it feels concerning to you, you can mention it to the OS and they may be able to work with you to adjust meds.

Wonderful news that you're able to meet with a different OS...and one that was chosen as a Top Doctor!
I hope he is patient and answers your questions fully and understands your history, concerns and goals.

We appreciate your kind words in regard to the forum and wish you would reconsider your membership for a time.
I say this because given your situation, having a supportive community can make a real difference as you're unsure of steps forward. While Basic members are welcome here, as we shifted to the paid subscription, Insiders do receive more personalized support, advice and attention. You don't have to go through this alone. You are an important part of the BoneSmart community, even as you struggle. Your experience and honesty can help another who may feel less than enthused about their recovery. It I understandable that you're feeling uncertain right now hopefully the new OS will have some answers to get you back on track.

I wish you the best for your appointment with the new OS on Wednesday. I hope the visit is insightful and he's able to formulate a plan to help you move forward. Please let us know how it goes.
@Dolphin5
 
Thank you Jockette and Layla for your messages.

I'm not sure Layla if you think that I'm driving. I'm not! I can't. Nobody can drive if their ROM is 45o. My sons are both insured to drive my car so when one of them comes over I get in my car as a passenger. I did this 5 days after my op so can compare the difficulty I had then with how it is now. No better. A huge effort. The walk I do with the dogs is the only option so I just have to concentrate and be really careful.

The Os I'm seeing was not chosen as a top doctor. He is one of several/many on the site Top Doctors.

I will let you know how I get on with the new OS but feel that my time on Bonesmart has come to an end as I'm not sure how beneficial it is for me to remain on here. You said @Layla you've not come across anybody in my situation on here. It has, at times, been disheartening for me to read other people's threads when they are upset that they are a mere 80o ROM at perhaps 6 weeks when I've been in my situation stuck on 45o. There's no benefit for others to read my threads other than for them to think how lucky they are not to be in my situation!

Thank you for your info about energy.
 
Hello Dolphin, I hope you're having a peaceful day so far.
I do understand that it's very unlikely that, you, are able to drive safely, especially given it's your right knee, but you had mentioned walking with a neighbor at one point so thought it was a possibility she was driving you to an area where you were walking. Apologies for misunderstanding. Also, I am sorry you feel you're no better off at 3.5 months post op. Thankfully you're able to have a fresh set of eyes on your case soon.

I believe the Top Doctors list in the UK varies from the one in the states as the one we most often see in local magazine publications are physicians that are nominated by their peers, professional achievements and an assessment of patient care.

It is understandable that it's disheartening for you to read about the progress of others as you struggle. The benefit I see in you remaining an Insider is priority support through faster response times and exclusive resources that Basic members don't have access to, but only you can choose whether you feel it's beneficial for you. It's personal choice whether you read other's threads here. There were certain topics / threads I completely avoided early on in my recovery and you can do the same. While someone recovering along with you in real time, may read your thread and be thankful they've made better progress in their recovery, I find that the great majority here are compassionate, supportive and encouraging of others and sometimes that can feel like a soothing balm and just what you need in the moment.

Wishing you the very best with your appointment tomorrow. I truly hope this new OS brings some fresh insight. I know this has been tough for you so far, and I hope you get the answers and support you need to move forward. You deserve to feel better.
@Dolphin5
 
Hi Layla. Thank you for your message and, as ever, kind words.

If I stay on the forum then it's a reminder that I have a problem! The last few days, for better or worse, I've tried to live a normal life and have stopped the exercises and so many ice packs etc. Mentally that has helped.

I will of course let you know the outcome of my appointment later and of any developments over the months for your interest and knowledge. I may well renew my insider membership at some point but for the moment I feel it's better for me to come off the site.

We're enjoying wonderful weather in the UK at the moment which makes everything much better but I'm now having to try and water my many pots and look after my rather big garden! Everything takes me twice as long and the constant fear of tripping is wearing but hopefully this will not be forever.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom