TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

Hi @susanne

I didn't get any alerts. I thought I'd pop in and found you'd tried to get me x x I loved the pic of the turkey. It was hilarious x did you have a nice Thanksgiving? X I hope your bf enjoyed his as best he could x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@nanamoon. Thanks giving was great.... Sorry just saw this. A lot if driving the family and walking. Will send pix in your other thread. Knee hurts other knee hurts shoulder can't lift arm having girls atvwk help me pull up back of pants can't bend arm back. So embarrassing


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@nanamoon. Hi ann. I've been icing both my knees the past few nights. But I've decided to use 2 pints of ice cream tied to my knees. This way I figure I can stretch my back as I reach down and take spoonfuls of ice cream into my mouth. Figure this is a good way to make a miserable situation better!!! Also my PT said not to ice for more than 15 mins at a time. Maybe you can try that. Off to see surgeon. Love susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh susanne two tubs of ice cream tied to me knees sounds like heaven. Oooohhh xxx I could do situps to reach it at the same time yummy. Exercise with food has to be good.

Good luck with the surgeon. Will you pop back and let me know how you get on please? Xxx

Love Ann x x x
 
TO ALL THE FRIENDS I'VE MET ON THIS SITE : ⭐️⭐️

Wishing you all a HEALTHY and HAPPY holiday

May the new year bring you peace and joy
Give charity to those in need, help out a friend without asking
Pay it forward...be kind to one another
Live each day as if it's the FIRST day of the rest your life.
May all our aches and pains be minimal and tolerable
And may we all live in a world of peace and harmony.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Happy new year
Love, susanne



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok @susanne going to try to post so you can 100%understand me


Have a truly wonderful CHRISTMAS. Whooot whooooot I did.it I did going to have to.rest now

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Legin . Beautifully said. But the next sentence went way over my head " I did going to have to rest now"?
Have a wonderful happy and healthy new year!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] I'm 2 years out - Hooray @susanne have a very Happy Christmas to and your family x x x

Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope that you're okay. Please take care love Nana moon 27 xoxoxo
 
From susanne

"Hi Josephine , it's been a long time since I needed your help but am at wit's end. It's been 11 months since my LTKR and still having difficulty although my surgeon seems to differ.

There is a feeling of a tight band, stiffness, and some stabbing pain on top of knee. My surgeon says that the 'stabbing pin' like feeling on knee cap is normal as is the numb feeling on outer knee.

It's been unbearable to walk as it seems I can't bend and there is so much stiffness.

Now my good knee has started to hurt terribly (the 2x replaced hip along with rt shoulder ( just thought I'd throw that one in too.) ( shoulder surgeon says I need that one replaced too)

The pain and stiffness has also caused even more lower back pain for me so here I sit/stand like the tin man from the wizard of oz not knowing what to do.

Because of the issues in prescribing narcotics over here in NY my doctor cut me off oxycodon. Went to see neurologist for pain management. He prescribed Tramadol long acting and cymbalta for nerve pain and my favorite Aleve.

I've been icing, elevating, taping,and using electric TENS on my knee. Even been so desperate as to use a metal healing knee brace. Also my restless legs have become unbearable I've been using homeopathic leg cramp pills drinking tonic water (no vodka) every night.

I've been stretching on my foam roller for my lower back issues stretching legs, doing heel slides while in bed and using my new favorite fragrance icy hot.

Should I be having so much problems with my knee? Does this sound normal? My surgeon who I saw recently seems to think so. But why is my other knee killing me? Am I overcompensating for the left one?

I get some relief from sleeping with ice on knees even though PT (who I don't see anymore) says 15 minutes is all you knee to get relief.

So my question is .. is it normal for all this stiffness and pain in both knees (also having trouble with steps still going down on leg at a time)? Is it the cold and damp NY weather?

Returning to surgeon for my 1 year check up in January also going to bombard him with all these questions

Any advice for my arthritic painful joint?

Thanking you for any advice/help.
Wishing you the happiest and healthiest holiday season"

@Josephine ..... Susanne was having trouble getting this copied into her thread, so I did it for her.
 
@Josephine,. Jamie put my message on my thread. Up above this one. What do you think??


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@susanne I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] I'm 2 years out - Hooray
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
@Josephine. Thanks for getting back to me
1. Pain levels about a 5. A lot of stiffness, and difficulty when getting up from seated position, some pin like stabbing on top,of knee (comes and goes) and no feeling on outer side of knee
2. Taking tramadol 50 mg, cymbalta 60mg ( these were prescribed by neuro for pain management ) my surgeon suggested seeing pain mgmt for pain as he won't give me oxicodone any more,alternating between alleve and Tylenol for arthritis. I take most of these at night because I was literally falling asleep at work, except for the OTC I take q4 -6 hrs
3. -4 I'm only icing and elevating when knees hurt at night since I'm almost a year out didn't think I would need to continually use ice. Mainly after working my knees hurt
5 Not sure what # my ROM is. My knee is very straight with extension and can bed with no problem. Unless stiff.
6. My activity level is not that much. I teach sp ed preschool on 2 level school. So there is lots of stairs to climb with kids, and walking I also drive a lot so getting out of car knee gets stiff and other knee is starting to bother me I do light cleaning, I mainly have my groceries delivered, but bending to put away sometimes hurts.
7. I now longer go to PT. Stopped at 3 month mark. Almost every night I stretch on a foam roller helps my back. I stretch my legs pushing against wall, as I get really bad leg cramps
I do about 20 heel slides both knees ever other night 4x each leg I push heels into bed while I'm watching TV count to 20 hold and repeat about 5 x. I'm trying to do squats but not doing too good with that one. I do leg lifts and knee lifts about 10 each knee 5 reps
I try and remember the exercises I did at rehab, trying mainly to stretch legs,
One more thing I use my tens unit on knees along with taping both knees.
That's about it.
Other than the stiffness and tight band like feeling, and now the other knee hurting ( feel like I'm over compensating ). And the fact I have so much difficulty getting up from sitting
Everything else is ok. ( might have to get the left shoulder replaced next) I think I'm just an arthritic mess, and living on ice and meds after the replacement is not what I expected.
Thanks, any advice you nay have for me would be so greatly appreciated.
Susanne



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @susanne , it could be the cold weather, although im in California, it been getting into the low 30s at night . ( i know !) Since then ,my knee has been acting strange while im sitting only. When previously ,no issues whatsover, except for a occasional over doing it at the gym , so im not using leg weights any longer. Its a little concerning for me and im patiently waiting for my annual in February to bring it up. Hopefully this will subside by than but this could be the issue with your knee. The cold weather. Thankfully we only get frost here for about 1 month and im currently in it. Im so sad to read about all your joints and implants. I remember your first posts and your issues with pain early on . I really hope things turn for the good . Best wishes and a happy new year , Iceman
 
@susanne sorry to hea you aren't right. It could be a combination. Those stairs the cold and the.fact you never stoo. Also the odd occasion you do you leg knee shoulder shouts for pity sake give us a.break. you are right to get it all checked tho. Good luck happy nano second resting.
The unintelligible one errrrr me that is

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@susanne, so sorry you continue to have problems. You are such an upbeat, positive person who has gone through so much. Don't know how you do it and keep your great sense of humor! Hoping you get some answers soon! Let me know next time you come to Chicago!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
1. Pain levels about a 5. A lot of stiffness, and difficulty when getting up from seated position, some pin like stabbing on top,of knee (comes and goes) and no feeling on outer side of knee
Have you read this Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?? as you will see, mine took about 4 years to become normal again. The rest is also healing taking place, yes even after 2+ years!
2. Taking tramadol 50 mg, cymbalta 60mg ( these were prescribed by neuro for pain management) my surgeon suggested seeing pain mgmt for pain as he won't give me oxycodone any more, alternating between aleve and Tylenol for arthritis. I take most of these at night because I was literally falling asleep at work, except for the OTC I take q4 -6 hrs
What OTC meds?
3. 4 I'm only icing and elevating when knees hurt at night since I'm almost a year out didn't think I would need to continually use ice. Mainly after working my knees hurt
Well no, I'm not suggesting you should. I just wanted to know if you did!
6. My activity level is not that much. I teach sp ed preschool on 2 level school. So there is lots of stairs to climb with kids, and walking I also drive a lot so getting out of car knee gets stiff and other knee is starting to bother me I do light cleaning, I mainly have my groceries delivered, but bending to put away sometimes hurts.
okay ....
7. I now longer go to PT. Stopped at 3 month mark. Almost every night I stretch on a foam roller helps my back. I stretch my legs pushing against wall, as I get really bad leg crampsOne more thing I use my tens unit on knees along with taping both knees.
Okay ...
I do about 20 heel slides both knees ever other night 4x each leg I push heels into bed while I'm watching TV count to 20 hold and repeat about 5 x. I'm trying to do squats but not doing too good with that one. I do leg lifts and knee lifts about 10 each knee 5 reps
I try and remember the exercises I did at rehab, trying mainly to stretch legs
Here's your problem. You stopped PT but you didn't stop the exercises - why not? You really didn't need to keep doing them after 3 months either! They are causing your pain so stop doing them!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom