TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

Hi Susanne - so glad all went well at your OS visit. So sorry you are going to have to suffer with three more months off (YES!!). My employer is also bad about salting and plowing the parking lot so i understand exactly how you feel. It was one of the reasons I had my knee surgery during the winter. I missed December, January and part of February. It was lovely.

I love your photos! Good area to be lost in. I especially like that bluish gray house. It is gorgeous. My next move however will be to an apartment or condo! Well maybe if I hit the lottery a warm Caribbean island!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi again @susanne
I think part of your problem is that you have confused the similar titles of two threads. This one - your own thread - is called "Knee pain behind the knee". angilee has a similarly named thread, called "Back of knee pain." You've posted on there a couple of times, by mistake, I think.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @susanne - loved the pictures yesterday. So glad you posted them as it convinced me to 'bite the bullet' and send my beloved camera in for assessment. It's being processed as I type this. It's way out of warranty but evidently there was a problem with a loose screw? (seriously) in a certain batch that caused power up problems. The serial number on mine suggests it may be affected so I will get a free repair - fingers X'd. I just cannot take decent pics with the camera on my iphone.
Glad your OS visit went well - I have mine in 2 weeks. I'll be interested to have another Xray, but figure it will be a bit of a waste of time regarding progress as all I have done is repeat everything that he saw at 6 weeks! You don't seem to perturbed about your delayed return to work. Ha ha ha ......... Get your PT to do some deep tissue massage on your upper leg muscles - hurts like hell but has really helped all my random aches and pains.

I bought some great stuff for knitting on big needles that is made from T shirt strips. It grows quickly (which is good for me as I am like a small child with knitting and get fed up with lack of progress!). The colours they have are gorgeous and I have a pink white and grey mix. Didn't know what to do with it, but inspiration struck and I intend to knit a great big square in plain knitting and use it as a cushion front. Might start it this evening.

As for books I generally have one on the go all the time, but I did find that the TKR gave me a much shorter attention span than normal in my gnat brain, so haven't read much recently. I loaded lots of books onto my Kindle pre-op, and they remain un-read. I have only started one of them - same as @Ellejay 'Life after Life' by Kate Atkinson. I like her books. I was given the Joanna Trollope 'Sense and Sensibility' to take into hospital - I read it in my first few days at home - it was nothing special - and that's been it.
The only book that I have read that I wished would never end was 'Winters Tale' by Mark Helprin. When we lived in Jakarta there were very few decent books to buy and this was years before Kindle. Every month I used to take my daughter for the weekend to Singapore to have the braces on her teeth adjusted - and stock up. There was a HUGE bookshop there and that's where I picked it up, because I liked the cover pic of Grand Central Station! Totally unlike anything that I usually read, but I loved it. I have raved about this book to people for years, and was amazed to discover that it has recently been made into a film starring Russell Crowe, Colin Farrell and Will Smith. Reviews do not look too great though - what a shame!
Only 2 books have made me cry - 'Birdsong' - Sebastian Faulks and 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyles. I'd recommend both - but have the Kleenex on stand by.
X
 
@dogwheels. Yes so upset about not returning to work...especially since the weather is getting nicer and the beach is calling my name. I had to buy a high beach chair because of my hip. Hope that with this knee once I'm in it will be able to get out. Can u imagine. Ill look like a beached whale in a black bathing suite trying to get out of my chair. Hope there will me no harpoons around. As for reading I read me before you and cried my eyes out. Loved it and I usually like mysteries still looking for new book to read and of course my kindle is acting up.
Hopefully will start PT as soon as authorization is received hoping this doesn't take forever
Still waking up with a stiff knee. Guess that's common and tingling in knee area guess that too is normal
Glad to hear ur getting camera fixed especially since you don't gave to pay for it. Between my phone and camera, don't know what to click on first.
Hope everything is well. Off to the movies!!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@joseohine his can I change my thread title. Knee Pain behind knee is over. 3 months out would better suit me. Thanks


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@susanne, I have changed your thread title to: Susanne Is 3 Months Out
 
Hi @susanne - have you read anything by Laurien Berenson? She has a mystery series - her detective character is Melanie Travis - that's a fun read. All of the books have "dog" titles (Underdog, Dog Eat Dog, A Pedigree To Die For, etc) and are set in the dog show world (Laurien shows or used to show Poodles. There are probably at least 7-8 books in the series.
 
Hi @susanne I have read your post. I think my OS is going to say a similar thing to me when I see him next week. I have to go back to my GP this Tuesday as my sick note runs out. He will have no option but to sign me off for longer. HR are not going to be happy but what can I do? I will tell them to refer me to Occupational Health if necessary. I'm still in a lot of pain, I'm still on morphine, can't drive still, my knee is swollen and hot. I'm fed up. I need to make a bullet pointed list to go to the OS with.

It's made no difference to my knee having everything on one level whilst I was away so I don't know what else to try now. I've really had enough x catch you later love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi ladies from across the pond, both near and far....
My knee still giving me some issues although dr said it's perfect. But not ready to go back to work yet :(. I know so upset.... The one question I forgot to ask was can I cross my leg. Never thought about that so used to crossing left over right. Now what do I do
@nanamoon. Hope ur feeling better abscess and all. Is your knee getting any better? You're not tripping over anything are you. I'm still using my cane when I'm out in the world. Since my apt is so small can sneeze from one end too the other so don't use cane in home.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@karrintyn thanks for checking in. Doing good. Just the minor aches like a burning knee. The other day I was getting rad rash around wound site it started to fade 2 days later. Very weird
Hope all is well with you and all body parts


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Hi @susanne if you go and have a look on my post today you'll see I had another trip. In Aldi supermarket. OMG!!!

I'm really glad your three month check was ok. I have yet another month off as my knee is still not right and if you look at my post I have yet another chest infection! Details on the post. I cried in the GP office because all I want is my life back, to be able to drive and work. I'm no longer using the cane on Freddy the physios orders. He said I cannot strengthen my sore when I'm leaning on something for support. I'm terrified when we go out anywhere crowded I really am.

Take care

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxo
 
@susie09. I'll ck that book out. Almost finished with Harlan cobins new book but my favorite character Myron isn't I this one. Someone also recommended books by Keith a low. There is a whole series. I keep going from mysteries to mindless reading to holocaust books I go from one end of the spectrum to the other. I figure as long as I'm reading and my hands are on my kindle I can't eat so much!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
The best thing about my new knee I LOST 30 lbs. yup a thanksgiving turkey The other best thing. I need new cLothes .....just wish I could have done weight watchers instead :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Still wondering. Does anybody cross their knee replaced leg?!? And what about knee being burning hot at night??? Comments


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Hi @susanne if you go and have a look on my post today you'll see I had another trip. In Aldi supermarket. OMG!!!

I'm no longer using the cane on Freddy the physios orders. He said I cannot strengthen my sore when I'm leaning on something for support. I'm terrified when we go out anywhere crowded I really am.

Take care

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxo

@Nana moon 27

I disagree most strongly with Freddie the physio! Your health has not been good, you are still tripping (the last time in Aldis) and you still feel as if you are needing the support. Apart from the energy drain from the knee replacement, the repeated chest infections have weakened you. Your knee is still very swollen. And Freddie is talking about strengthening your core. Sounds like bad advice to me!

Use the cane as long as you feel you need it. It's there for your protection. In any case, Freddie is there to advise you, not to order you. Remember that he works for you, not the reverse.

Not using the cane is just asking for another fall. There's plenty of time to strengthen your core, once your general health is better. Meanwhile, concentrate on reducing all that swelling (Rest, Ice, Elevate!) and you may well find that your ROM improves, as if by magic.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all! @susanne. I do cross my legs. I don't know if you are supposed to or not. I am at almost six months out! I also sit on top if my unoperated leg at work. Bad habit but very comfortable. I am going to miss that when I get that knee done. I know I won't have that bend any more.

@Nana moon 27 Celle made some good points. I still use my cane if I am going out for a long period. I try not to use it for short trips. You take care and get your health back first!

We care. Xoxo joAnne


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi @susanne - I am still being very good at not crossing my legs when sitting. I couldn't do it pre op as the dodgy one wouldn't bend and I couldn't tolerate the pressure on the joint from crossing the other over. Therefore I think I may have got out of the habit. On one of my early physio sessions an older lady in the waiting room recognised, probably from the way I was walking; the crutch; the slightly dazed expression; no make up ; the clothes selection faintly reminiscent of a thrift shop rummage (chosen for comfort rather than style) ..... that I was recently post TKR. She said: 'Oh you will soon be fine' (little did she know), 'look at me I had mine done 2 and a half months ago and I can cross my legs' - which she then did several times with gusto. I think it's each to their own. Admittedly I have done the first 6 weeks twice over, but I am no way near ready for leg crossing.
@Jozilla - I misread what you had written and at first thought that you tuck your operated leg under you and sit on it! I was about to offer up huge respect at your suppleness and bendability - and then I realised I hadn't read your post properly!
My shopping trip on Saturday was undertaken without cane (have never used) or crutch. I did feel a bit 'naked' and vulnerable. Having that visual reminder tells people to give you a wide berth and be careful, that walking slowly and carefully just does not do. They just think you are dawdling! I think if I had not gone so early and gone when shops were busier I would have taken it. Ha ha it's a Security Crutch!

Talk later
X
 
I'm sorry all still can't make comments on others thread. Because I STILL can't log in keeps coming up as oops error I am resigned to the fact that I will just have to barge into someone else's to chat. Knee still burning at night. Still have that tight band feeling now it's running down my knee. I just received a notice that I have to see a Workmans comp doctor. That means a literally 3 second look to see my knee and write a report. I don't want to say they are quacks as they are still medical drs but mostly make their money on patients like me. In and out check up mill. Anyway this is to give me 3 more months out if school so I'm not complaining
[Bonesmart.org] I'm 2 years out - Hooray

This is a photo of my knee last Saturday. The redness lasted 24 hrs got a little nervous but it's gone now. Weird!
Putting the ark away as the heavy rains brought out the sun so I'm taking advantage, sitting outside reading
Enjoy your day/ night everyone and please don't mind my hacking your threads :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle. I know I'm logged in somewhere on this site, I'm not able to comment on others. It keeps saying log on which I can't do as it comes up oops error which is so annoying. I tried to contact forum admin but whenever I tried still came up as oops
It's weird but can't get to my main page at all bc it says I'm NOT logged on
I give up!!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Back
Top Bottom