TKR I'm 2 years out - Hooray

@maryo52. I do panic at every sensation. Mainly because when I had my hip replaced. In 2007 I kept complaining to dr until the inevitable happened -- hip dislocated. So far no more incidents of course just new aches and pains. Thanks for the words of encouragement my next dr appt end of April. I really have to stay off internet it us what it is


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@Ellejay but your car is backwards. Haha. I've gone from civic to accord which I hated and if my daufpghter didn't crash my car would still be driving my 2002 crv loved that one. When I went to dealer same one I got all my cars I told him show me just 3 crvs only request must have sunroof and low mileage. I bought a 2010 with z12,000 miles in it. Just don't love :snow dig: it as much as my old one. But do love sunroof. Only wish I could open it. Woke up today to snow on ground.
 
Ok. Can I change my thread title back to original even though it's been more than 2 weeks now what?
I have not had the pain in my knee since -- just that 1 time thank goodness just a one time fluke. Dr said not to worry everything sounds fine next appt 3 month check up April 24 th. :dancy:
 
Glad you are doing better!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi - so glad you had some reassurance from your OS and that the knee pain is better.
Take care
X
 
Thanks ladies. Just wish I could sleep but then again what do I have to wake up early for
Just curious I'm almost at my 3 month mark and was wondering if anyone is still icing and elevating all the time. Also I'm a side sleeper and trying out that with a pillow between my legs ( now now) so wondering has anyone tried Sleeping on their stomachs. I just can't get into any comfortable position anymore. My bed is filled with wedges, ice packs and small pillows. I'm almost at my wits end. I've stopped taking so much pain meds and more Advil. Next I will be hitting the bottle to knock me out.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
The only way I can sleep on my stomach is with my leg bent at an angle off to the side - no way I could sleep with my knee cap pointed down into the mattress :shocked:I can now sleep (or not sleep, as the case may be) on either side. I just keep my legs kinda bent, but I don't need a pillow in between them. As for icing and elevating - uhm, elevating, yes. Icing, not very often as it's started to actually hurt to ice but when my pain is really bad, I will absolutely slap an ice pack on to numb that sucker up. ;-)

Btw, the lack of being able to get comfortable is a clue that you need pain meds at night.... at least it is for me. I didn't take anything last night and never fell asleep, just tossed and turned all night. Finally took a Tramadol & Tylenol at 3am and was able to sleep 'til 5. Woo hoo - 2 hours :boohoo:
 
@Doglover3x. Just curious what your name means. As you can probably see I'm getting slap happy .


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Oh how I remember those sleepless nights.......I eventually learned to not worry about it so much and find something else to do. I could fall asleep on my side with a pillow between my legs, but was agony when I tried to move afterwards, had to straighten legs and then turn over. I also slept on my front quite a lot but just hated waking and discovering it was still the early hours. I was still taking tramadol though at your stage. It is still early, be kinder to yourself and take it easy
 
Ok it's almost 3 am. I give up. When will the sleep fairy come!!!!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Agree...slept all night last night, but tonight...
 
Hi @susanne - it certainly screws things up if you cant sleep, and I feel so sorry for you. I am sure that @DogLoverx3 is right about the pain aspect, and I would add to that any other form of discomfort you may be suffering eg stiffness - that can really inhibit your sleep too.
For the last couple of weeks when my knee was only bending a little, my sleep suffered - from being stiff, from sleeping on my back and from discomfort when frequently shifting position . Now I have a bit of bend, I am back to moving around in bed without too many problems, and therefore am sleeping OK again.
At risk of jinxing things or being blackballed by everyone else on this thread, I actually sleep better than I was pre-op. Sorry!:sleep:
I take no daytime meds, only Co-dydramol at night which is a Tylenol/Codeine mix - perhaps that's what does it? Only took it at night as necessary before the blip, but have taken it every night since as a precaution.
As for sleeping position, when the knee has a bit of bend I sleep every which way - back, front with knee to mattress (I have a squishy feather mattress topper) and sides (although I prefer non-op side). Couldn't get on with a cushion between my knees, but once it didn't feel like there was a large scaffolding bolt between my legs (there's an image for you! :heehee:) I sort of balance my op knee on the calf of my bent good one and away I go ....
As for ice - I still ice on and off during the day - but more so in the evening, as since 'the blip' things seem to swell up a bit more later in the day - haven't iced at night for ages and never liked elevation so do it very little now.
These knees are so b****y boring and cause so many problems. Grrrrrr .......
Take care and hope you get sweet dreams soon
X
 
I'm not sure if this is working. I updated my iPad and not sure if my messages are getting thru



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Hi @susanne, as I've mentioned before I'm just 3 days ahead of you. I've been wondering whether I should still be on meds/ icing/ elevating, so I will be interested in others replies to you. I had a week away from home a couple of weeks ago, a few days at home and now I'm away again, so I'm not in any sort of routine at the moment. I stopped elevating only because I couldn't carry that number of pillows with me to the two holiday rentals, and I've been fine. I do put my feet up whenever possible and certainly all evening. I'm still taking paracetamol (Tylenol?) morning and at bedtime, but I do wonder if I still need to, and also sometimes during the day if I've been on my feet a lot. I haven't been icing very much, I have my ice pads with me, but they've remained in the freezer and I keep forgetting to use them. As for sleeping, I am using a small pillow between my knees, but I am thinking of giving it a miss tonight as I'm generally sleeping quite well these days and I find that moving the pillow when I want to roll over is actually waking me up more than any pain in my knee. I will try without it and see now I get on.
I did drive the car myself (even if it is back to front :heehee:) for over an hour on the motorway that surrounds London the other day and I coped really well, and then on Friday I was a passenger in the car from 10am until 4.30 pm with only a stop for lunch and another brief stop, so long car journeys is another box that can be ticked off on my recovery list.
Hope you are OK, xxx
 
Hi @susanne - saw in Dogloverx3 thread that you'd lost your link to here so thought if I tagged you in it, it might show up. I'm pre-op - just reading and researching as much as I can.
 
I finally found my thread. Just can't seem to log on with my user name and of course can't read the letters to prove I'm a real person
So here I am. Almost at 3 months. Knee burning up at night, finally had my pedicure but had difficulty getting out of chair. But it was worth the embarrassment and my friends laughter in doing so. So now up to shoulder bone on bone. I'm running out of parts to replace this is really getting ridiculous. I'll know more at the end of month when I see shoulder surgeon for my 3 yr check up......and knee surgeon for my 3 month ck up... Not sure yet when I'll return to work. Don't think I would be to useful in a pre school of special ed kids......
Getting ready for bed. Just wanted to check in
Sweet dreams everyone


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@Ellejay. I no longer ice. Just sometimes because my knee is burning hot. I still keep my pillow wedge in the bed and feel at times I need to put leg up...guess my security blanket.
Still not back at work, not sure how I'm going to manage that job so hopefully will be able to stay out a little but longer....can't see me running after special ed pre schoolers..they will have to hold me up!!! Hope you are feeling good.....


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@TexasTee. Hi. Thanks. Found my thread but still can't log on...welcome to our coffee clutch
I was reading about your dating situation. My daughter (she's 26) just met someone on the site called tinder. Have u heard of it...people of all ages, she said you look them up and keep swiping names and pictures. Good luck to you on that one...
When was your knee done? I've had 2 hips 1 shoulder and had my knee done in jan. Now I just found out the other shoulder is bone in bone ....it's like 2 steps forward 3 steps back


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Still can't log into my acct
Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The problem I have is I can't make out those letters to make sure ur a realperson
So I hope nobody minds if I just add a note or 2 on someone else's
Thanks
Yes it's 4M here just woke up
So I thought if check out what my bone smart girls are up to!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @susanne - do you mean the captcha thingy with different case and font numbers?? Normally there is a button you can press to have an audible 'phrase' rather than copy the pics.
Glad to see at least you've found your thread even if you cannot log in!
Chris x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Back
Top Bottom