• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Icespirit5 Recovery Thread

Evi

Country
United States United States
@Icespirit5 - I’m so glad to hear about your recovery - you really seem to be mending quickly - it’s so nice that you’ve been able to even get out to some restaurants !!!!
Does your OS have you in pt yet?
Sending you positive vibes for a continued successful path to full use of that new hip ! Let us know how the follow up goes -

OP
OP
Icespirit5

Icespirit5

Country
Hey @Evi !
I have had at home PT for the past 2 weeks. My OS typically does not refer to outside PT after that and its more of an on your own thing or if you choose to (they have an app that provides weekly instructions). My at home PT said she recommended I go, and she'd refer me. I'd honestly rather go to outside PT as well. I know myself well enough to know that I don't do well with homework and need some outside encouragement to keep me going and get me where I want to be. Plus I still have a good bit of muscle weakness.

I dont have my follow up visit until the 24th of July :umm:. Seems like a long time to me. I just want to make sure I'm where I need to be. Like I said, they have an app to contact my care team through (did that when I reacted to the tape) and they are really quick to respond, but sometimes speaking in person is just better.

I really want to ask what all else he did during my surgery. On top of the replacement there was a lot of reshaping of my bone done (it was 5 hours- I wanna know what went on in those 5 hours). There were some variables that would be decided upon during surgery. I dont know what was done. No one really told me. I think he ended up putting a plate in, which we discussed as one of the options prior, but I am just making that assumption based on a list on my discharge papers. Thus, its not an emergency question or anything I have to know, just things I really want to know.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Icespirit5
Hope you are hanging in there in this oppressive heat we have been having so early in the year..
Ugh! And I'm supposed to take my 81 year old dad on an overnight camping trip tonight!:umm:
105F with the heat index today.
It was hot the summer I recovered also...my meds didn't do well in heat though I'm usually pretty hardy.

My guess is you'll get some cool xrays to look at , at your appointment.
Hope you will get to watch some fireworks next week !

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Saturday! :wave:
You're doing well. I hope you find PT beneficial. Take it slow and easy and please don't push through anything that hurts.

You may want to request the surgery notes from your op. I did and received mine in the mail within days. Kind of an interesting read. I requested all office appointment notes and x-rays for my personal records. They may need your signature for release. If interested, check and see if there is an option online under your surgeon's practice.

Have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Icespirit5

OP
OP
Icespirit5

Icespirit5

Country
Thanks @Layla for the tip! I had thought about doing that. I think it would definetly be beneficial for my records.

@Mojo333
I am real excited to get my xrays! It will be nice to be updated as well as see a hip instead of a curvy lemon in my body.

It's definetly HOT. We went up to the mountains in Dahlonega Sunday and then to the Dawsonville outlets and boy was it hot! Its supposed to only get warmer by the day! Dont know what we will do for the 4th.

Ive been enjoying some indoor activities today. I am afraid I over did it just a tad. Not too bad but Im a bit sore. :sleep:
I am a part of a community theatre and do a lot of tech and prop work with them. A buddy of mine had to go over there to help with the rigging, and I tagged along. I do the rigging system too. It is computerized so it aint like it is manual labor intensive usually. When we got there, they were trying to get this large canvas for a scenery backdrop onto the rigging. Well naturally, I helped and long story short I was on my feet to long.

After a while I realized Id gone too far, and settled myself in a chair in the scene shop I let the boys continue tinkering with the canvas while I made a wreath prop we needed instead.
I took it slower once I got home. My friend and I played some games, and then I binged on some Little House on the Prarie. :flwrysmile:

All in all Id say its been a good day aside from overdoing it a bit. Now that I am getting up and being more active, my thigh has felt really tight. Ive been told thats normal, but the tightness is so uncomfortable. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
That is a sign of hitting the ODIC...the Overdid It Club.
That really is ALOT of activity for your new hip.
Ice and elevate and take the next few days easy...

Just to remind you...
Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in our hip area.
We Must listen to our bodies and it seems most often it never bothers us until we stop.

When we are get past the initial surgical incision healing, and generally starting to feel reasonable again, we are itching to get on with our lives. To be active. And a lot of us are so driven to be active again, that we overdo it.
Once we can walk a quarter of a mile without pain, we figure we're good for a mile or 2.
So really, this isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Or you can consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how your body reacts to it. Your body is in charge of healing, not your mind. You can't will yourself to heal faster.

OP
OP
Icespirit5

Icespirit5

Country
Thanks @Mojo333 :) yeah I probably knew better, but it was quite fun. I definetly plan to take it easy today. I did NOT like how tight I felt yesterday and dont want to repeat it.

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I found my boundaries the same way...the hard way.:sigh:
That's how I figured out how much is too much.
A few easy does it days, and you will be back in track.:ice:
My daughter did community theatre also, and I loved being involved too. Glad you got some social time...
Ice it up..as your name implies...ice is now your spirit animal:heehee:

Evi

Country
Wow - you really are getting about - that’s so good - I’m so happy for you -
I find the best thing for that achey tightness is ice - I often sleep with ice almost all night long - changing out the packs every 2-3 hours
Since your case seems to be a bit out of the ordinary than some of the standard hip replacements on this board - I’d definitely want to get my records and ask questions - not just for curiosity but Incase there are ever any questions down the road-

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling better since last time you posted.
Still early days in the whole scheme of things, but I'll bet you're noticing weekly progress.
Enjoy the Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Icespirit5

OP
OP
Icespirit5

Icespirit5

Country
Thanks @Evi I have been trying to ice more for sure.
Thanks @Layla
I am doing well I think. I have been walking unaided for just barely a week now. I am limping but it has gotten significantly better than the first several days off it. I have really seen a difference the past couple of days. I'm also able to drive again!! :loveshwr:

I was able to get in the pool as of last Thursday! It felt great! I went the next 3 days after as well! The weather here is very hot and I still cannot walk any great length, so the pool has been a great option for exercise.

I have noticed changes in my range of motion too! It is definetly better than before surgery.

I did request my operative notes and received them as of yesterday. I read through them, but oh my goodness did it take me a hot minute. Living with this for so long and extensive reading has made me fairly familiar with the medical terminology and anatomy associated, but let me tell you Google was still my best friend when I read through the report :loll:
In the end, I was able to get the gist of what all was done and why for the most part. It was quite interesting actually and Im glad I requested it.

I have my follow up appointment next Wednesday.

Also, I still have a good bit of numbness on the side and top front of my thigh. Is that normal?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for the update. You're doing well! It is recommended you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping. If you're not already, try heel-toe walking. Let your heel strike the ground first, followed by toes. It may take a concentrated effort but it's really effective in losing the limp.

I found the surgery notes interesting also. It's been quite a while since I've read mine, but you've sparked an interest, I may take them out again for a run through. The numbness can last for months so I wouldn't worry. It slowly improves with time. There's a lot of healing going on internally.

Best wishes for a great rest of the week and also with your appointment next Wednesday. We'd love to read about it afterward, if you're interested in sharing.
Take Care!
@Icespirit5

Evi

Country
Wow - you sound like you are really coming along by leaps and bounds - I’m so happy for you !!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Also, I still have a good bit of numbness on the side and top front of my thigh. Is that normal?
Certainly was for me. The numb patches slooowly got smaller and less sensitive...I even got some errant zips and zaps whilst it dissipated.

At 6 months, still had one leg with pretty numb/sensitive area on thigh...I reckoned it was collateral damage from my anterior surgery.

All normal now though!:egypdance:

OP
OP
Icespirit5

Icespirit5

Country
So I have my first follow up appointment this Wednesday (whoohoo! 6 weeks almost down!).
What should I expect?
What questions should I ask?
Thanks

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Wishing you the best of luck at your appointment. Let us know how it goes.

Most likely x-rays will be taken. My OS observed me walking. He moved my leg around a bit and answered any questions I had.

Some questions you may want to ask -
What are things you can NOT do
If you're under any restrictions, when will they be lifted
Ask about returning to any activities you engage in
Dental visit protocol
Bring up any concerns you have
Whether you should be using a cane until you're no longer limping as is recommended.
(I believe you mentioned you're not using one, but still limping a bit)
Have your incision checked
Ask when you should return

That's a start. Others may have more to add.
Have a great week!
@Icespirit5

OP
OP
Icespirit5

Icespirit5

Country
I had my first follow up appointment today. It could have gone better. I think they expected me to be a little further along than I am now. I still have a pretty significant limp. Plus, after xrays it showed Ive got some bone not growing back as fast as he'd like so I have to go back in 6 weeks. I will still have to get my shoe lifted about .5 in cause the way my leg was before make other structures shift like my pelvis and spine. Unless I miss understood him, he said the piece where they took out the piece of bone to made my femur straight was together when they did surgery, but now its not. I have a space where bone needs to grow in. I dont know I should have asked him to explain it again. All in all, its been a bit of a disheartening day

Last edited:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Aww, I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged. I'm wondering if you could get a copy of your x-ray and post it here for the forum nurse, Josephine, to look at. She's really good with x-rays and possibly her commentary could offer you some clarity.

I'm sure you could also get a copy of the notes from your office visit today. The combo may give Josephine enough info to help you get a clearer picture of what's going on. Something for you to think about.

If you think you're interested, I'd start with a phone call to the office to ask for copies of all office visit and surgery notes along with x-rays for your personal records. All I had to do was sign a form and I received it all in the mail within a few days.

If you're not interested in what I mentioned above, consider calling the office of your surgeon to ask if you could get a return phone call as you have questions and need a better understanding of your situation.

Wishing you brighter days. Please stay in touch. We're here for you.
@Icespirit5

OP
OP
Icespirit5

Icespirit5

Country
Thanks @Layla
I have been feeling better the past few days. I went ahead and contacted their office and got a few questions answered and requested my most recent x-ray. Once I get it I may try and post it. I never thought about asking for office notes. I may do that next week.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Beezel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom