THR Icespirit5 Recovery Thread

Here are your recovery articles. Please read them thoroughly and carefully.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @Icespirit5
I'm guessing you're resting comfortably by now.
With any luck they're providing you with ice :fingersx: if not, I'd request it.
Hopefully your pain is well managed and you're able to sleep if tired. Will look forward to an update when you're feeling up to it.
Wishing you comfort :friends:

Hope you're resting comfortably and you've gotten something to eat. We'll hang out and wait until you're feeling up to posting. You did it! Woohoo!

Welcome to the other side , hope you are doing well with your new hip:welome: let us know how you're doing and just rest , ice and take it easy:ice:

Hi! Hope your doing great
Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icespirit5 Recovery Thread
:yes!:

Hey you all so this has kind of been my day:

First I chill in the pre-op private room. I had to wipe down with sanatary wipes again like I did the night before and then strip into a stylish blue hospital gown. The nurse came in and checked my hear rate and blood pressure. Then she set up my IV line, but she had a lot of trouble with my left arm. They had to put it in the right thankfully without issue.
While she was fiddling with my IV in my left, my surgeon came in and chatted with me and my fam a bit. I was a tad distracted by the IV process but it was all good. I was his last case of the day purposefully, so he had all the time he needed. I continued to listen to music and doodl the whole while. They just came back in and gave my some pre anti inflamatories, an antacid, and some anxiety stuff. My doodle became a bit more sloppy at that point, but I was still very aware.

My surgery ended up being at 1 PM. The anestisia people came in and my parents had to leave and take my glasses. They gave me a spinal and some med they said would make me feel drunk... no kidding. I may have still been aware, but the patterns on the walls and furniture seem to be moving. I was a bit uncomfortable and I think a bit scared not quite sure, and they gave me some more anxiety meds. After that, the wheeled me down to the opperating room and there were a bunch of people and a man told me that he was going to give me some meds to help me sleep. Then, I was out.

I woke back up in the PACU and things well.... hurt... A LOT. My surgery had taken about 5 hours, done about 6 PM. They had given the longest acting spinal, but it had worn off during the surgery (no recollection of this thankfully) so they had put me under general for the rest. They sent me to a private over night room and gave me more oxycodone. I think my pain getting more under control now. It is about 3 AM. Whenever I move it really hurts, but that is better than earlier. I tried with the aid of my nurses to get out of bed to pee, and I almost passed out from pain. I don't think I really realized how much it hurt though. They laid me back down and got me over a bed pan. All in all I am having trouble peeing. I havent peed yet. My incision has this kind of prickley, burning pain too.

There is some good news though! My surgeon was confident and says he thought the surgery went well and he was able to correct my femoral deformities AND lengthen my leg some! We were worried it would shorter because he was cutting a piece out of my femur for the correction. Part of what took so long was he said my bone was REALLY dense from my previous surgeries.
They will be keeping me another night though cause I got out so late. He told my mom this all and she told me. She said he looked a little tired. I really think I picked the right person for my opperation though :) everyone here has been really nice :)

I'm glad everyone is being good to you @Icespirit5
These first days are a bit jarring so well done for staying calm and letting all level out.
My incision has this kind of prickley, burning pain too
Very normal feeling, kind of freaky...but normal.
Hopefully you will go home soon where you can get more comfortable!
You are doing just great!

Last edited:
Wow, thankfully surgery is behind you. Five hours is quite long, it's good to know the surgeon is pleased with the final result. I hope they're providing ice for you...and keeping your pain well managed.
Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey. :console2:
@Icespirit5

I am home now and a bit more coherent. So the gist of the surgery plan was he had to correct my femoral deformity and because of my passed surgeries, the bones were really dense and harder to work with which is why it took so long. I am hurting still, but Im hoping that will pass soon. I couldn't get the hang of a cane just yet and opted for crutches up my stairs (it was so much easier). Im really tired so Ill probably take a nap now.

Glad to hear you're home now, you'll rest so much better. Sounds like you did really well overall especially considering how long your surgery was. You chill out and take a well deserved nap, sweet dreams!
:sleep:

Thanks you all for your well wishes! I have been napping and will have my 1st at home PT session today. With the extra stuff done, I am not sure when Ill be off the walker. I am definetly feeling better today than yesterday. While at the hospital yesterday, my blood pressure and platlet count dropped. I had to have an blood transfusion, but once that was done I felt better. My day nursing team was not as on top of it as my night one and my pain got a bit out of hand yesterday before I left. I hope to continue making big strides towards recovery i have posterior restriction and Im not allowed to bend past 60°. Also, he was able to legthen my leg to almost if not the same as my left!! (I was about an inch shorter prior and there was a risk of it being shorter and not longer and I was worried about that). Surgeon is being extra careful. I will be calling his office Monday to get more of a play by play of what happened. He talked to my mom, but my dad had just walked out. So I know very basic information (dad tends to ask more questions). When his PA came in to see me I wasn't super coherent and didn't ask.

Well PT just left. I am having a lot of trouble bending my right knee. Not sure if it is because how they lengthened my leg, sore muscles, both or what.
Anyone else have this issue?

Well PT just left. I am having a lot of trouble bending my right knee. Not sure if it is because how they lengthened my leg, sore muscles, both or what.
Anyone else have this issue?

Hi! I am 10 days post and have more knee pain then hip. I also can’t bend my knee without pain. I was told this is “normal” due to all the twisting and pulling they do during surgery to get the new hip in place. Hopefully the pain goes away soon so I can walk more!
Tara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Icespirit5 so sorry for all that pain and hardship that must have been harrowing. You will most certainly progress and it sounds like you trust your surgeon and he did a good job. I am keeping only positive vibes for you. Bravo!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom