Guest viewing is limited

TKR ICEMAN BACK to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OS only touched my knee once after surgery, to see how much side-to-side play it had (very little). Every other time, he has looked at it and just said, "Show me what you can do.. . . Show me your bend. . . . Can you lift it, straight-legged?" He doesn't measure ROM, just eyeballs it and says that it looks pretty good. My ROM hasn't been measured since I got to 90 degrees.
 
@Celle and @icep707 my ROM is measuring 115 on both knees per my PT... I never thought about the ROM until you mentioned it. My OS has never measured mine either! He just checks me out, talks to me about my concerns, and says you are doing really great!
Ice so glad you are doing great! Enjoy your time off while you can! :yes: take care!
 
Well thats what I thought , so when I hear of these brutal OS , I just dont get it. I really am glad I found my OS. So glad @suzzee2000 that you are doing amazing . I remember your very first post pre op. Time sure does fly. Hope all the kids are fine and that your school is going great. Dont forget , you are still early on . Try not to over do it . Best wishes Iceman
 
Enjoy the warm weather, I am curious you say that you use a heating pad on your knee when you first wake up in the morning, that is to listen things up? How long do you do this before you make yourself get going?

Also, you mentioned doing your exercises on the stairs, where do I find this information or can you quickly tell me what you do and how often you do it?

I think I need quick things I would do several times today I just hate doing the long list of exercises by myself that the physical therapist has given me.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom , hello , I see you are about 6 weeks out. At about that time your knee will be stiff , especially in mornings . Remember your knee sustained major damage to its bone and soft tissue. And everyone recovers at different pace. There is nothing you can do to speed things up . However , when I was about 5 weeks , while at OPT my therapist used heat , immediately upon my arrival, than messaged than I rode stationary bike and exercising than ice with occasion electric stimulation. I was told by my inhome therapist on day 3 about the stair. My favorite actually. Just stand in front of a stair, put your foot up on 1 or 2 steps and gently bend knee back and forth. Depending on your internal swelling , it may be difficult. ive been off work for over 3 months so I have all day to do anything. But I would use my heating pad , wrapped around my knee, secured with a ace bandage. For about 15 to 20 minutes. Than id do stairs and heel slides and do other exercises. After, than lots of time elevated toes above nose and iced for over an hour . Trust me , you will improve , just got to be patient. Its a fine line when it comes to over doing it . You are still super early. But will be worth all the pain and effort. I couldnt be happier . Are you taking meds around the clock ? , you should if you have pain . Theres great you tube videos on TKR post op exercises. Check them out . Best of luck . Iceman
 
Thanks for responding icemen sometimes questions get lost in the expansive this forum. I do aquatic therapy first and then on land therapy at my OPT appointments so I guess it would make sense to listen at the new with a little bit of heat in the morning before trying to exercise.
I have just changed my physical therapy appointments from mid morning to early to midafternoon, I'm trying to go into my office for a while in the morning and then to physical therapy knowing I will not be worth much after that is finished. So the warmth in the morning before I stretch and do a little bit of work on the knee before my day sounds like a great idea.

6 weeks tomorrow, for us who are going through it or have gone through this, six weeks does not seem like a lot but to the people outside looking in it seems like forever!




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tamsmom
You're only about 6 weeks from your surgery. I think that going to PT after going to work is too much for your knee. Work alone is enough exercise for your knee on those days. Think about it - it's not just the actual work, it's getting up, getting showered and dressed and then traveling to work. That's more than enough for now, without adding PT.
 
@Celle, I am trying to find a balance and it is a tricky process...I tell myself I don't have to stay a certain amount of time, just show up. But you are right just getting ready for work is tiring


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just to let you know Tamsmom when I went back to work at eight weeks I did stop going to outpatient PT. I agree with Celle just your normal work day at this point is enough. My OS was fine with this and I don't think it hurt my recovery at all. I made sure I took lots of short walks and did exercises on the stairs that ice man told you about. I also did occasionally ride a stationary bike for five to ten minutes that I have at home. Please take it easy. You are doing a lot at only six weeks and you will keep improving for a long time!
 
@Tamsmom remember everyone's recovery is different. Just listen to your doc and pt. I am 13 weeks out....back to work waitressing and I still am in PT 3xs a week. I need it.....Work doesn't do for me what pt does........

ICE! BIG BRO! Love when you check in. WE DID IT!!!!! Isn't it amazing???? I am sooo proud of myself...13 weeks later and we are here and now...and alive. ALIVE
 
@icep707 Thought I would stop by your thread to say thanks for the continued well wishes and support. You set the bar for my recovery! :)
 
@daughterstalker , All is well here in the Bay Area. Im still off work but not because I have issues with the knee. I was given 12 weeks off by my OS . Which was plenty sufficient but than my manager suggested I take another 4 weeks off. my OS agreed that would be good for me. He signed a extension for me . So ive been living off short term disability. Im ready to get back to work . I feel my knee is ready. I havent been off work this long in 17 years. So my sleep pattern is way off. I go to bed very late and wake up very late, I need to go to bed early and wake up early 6 am. That will be my biggest issue . My knee is fine . I can jog up stairs, hike with no problem, kneel , just about anything I did many many years ago. I feel now I can run for my life if I had to. In case of a earthquake or something . Hope you are well . I see your akneeversary is coming up , congratulations !! Best wishes Iceman
 
"Jog upstairs.....kneel...." My idol! Here's to ya'!

[Bonesmart.org] ICEMAN BACK to work
 
@Phil75070 You got to remember, that im only 49 and according to a few, a very immature and childish one . Ive always been very active and a gym rat , however the last couple of years its been difficult. With the ruptured ACL and osteoarthritis. Now that I have a new knee , I can do some of the things that where robbed from me . You will too ! You are just about 6 almost 7 weeks out and doing very well. I have no doubt your knee will bring many blessings to you. If I remember correctly, you have had health issues not related to your knee, that can be a factor to your overall activity levels but im sure it wont be the knee. Best of health to you . Iceman
 
@icep707 Actually, it will be 12 weeks this coming Monday. I can hardly believe it has been 3 months already! I've been playing golf "officially" for the last two weeks and even before official clearance I played a couple of times. I can do stairs normally, have walked the dog as far as a mile and basically can do everything I did before with only some minor stiffness. Kneeling and jogging, on flat ground or up a set of stairs, I am not even ready to try, yet!
 
ICE. Hi big bro...just wanted to check in....doing great here.....walking PERFECT! :)
 
:shocked:Jog upstairs?!?!? That's so awesome Ice! I went to a baseball game last night and was still a nervous wreck that someone was going to knock me down the steps! I can do some/most steps 'normally' but the ones at the stadium were pretty steep so I reverted back to my 2 feet per step, slow as molasses approach. I'm so happy you're doing so well and able to do pretty much everything. I will hopefully get there one day too; my journey is just a bit longer than yours. ;-) Keep up the great work and enjoy your last few weeks off work! xioxo
 
@Karringtyn , @DogLoverx3 , hello ladies, thanks for dropping by. This bonesmart forum has been addicting. I hope when I go back to work , I can wean off this forum abit. Karringtyn , im so happy for you and about 2 months ago or more I was very concerned for you. Remember the trials and turbulations. You affected and inspired so many , im glad I was able to go through this with you. And you helped me during my recovery as well. Im glad you are happy and healthy. Doglover , my flypaper leg friend . How you doing? Ive been keeping up with you. You are a riot, you should have a sitcom. You are so resilient . And brave. Plugging away on your own in Arizona , with your own business and real estate. Whats wrong with the guys there ? Your a catch ! Anyways focus on your knee . I read that you only take tylenol and a new drug. Celebrex as well but probably not having a affect by now. Try to stay cool ! Its gonna be a hot summer. Get well , you deserve it !! Iceman
 
I seem to recall you are going back to work this week, wishing you all the best, and good luck with having to get up so early in the morning.
They are going to be glad to have you back, hope to see you here from time to time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom