TKR ICEMAN BACK to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @icep707. How is your back doing? Have you raised the table yet? I worked at a deli in a grocery store on base when I lived in Germany 25 years ago. We were located beside the meat department and you butchers do work hard. I can imagine it would be hard on most parts of your body! I hope you are feeling well!
 
Hi there @icep707
Just stopping by to say "hi" and hope you are doing much better now that you've had a chance to recover from the first week back.

It does get easier but weekends are good to give the body a bit of rest! :thumb:
 
@71Beetle @1ELISEA @ironman60 , unfortunately we tried to raised the tables just a few inches but they would not raise , they are alittle old and beat up. However I feel much better already. I think I just shocked my body initially. Im not nearly as exhausted or sore like I was last week . Fortunately my new knee feels great. No pain or swelling , no popping or clicking , nothing !!! Way beyond my expectations . Im going to my chiropractor today as ive been on maintenance for almost 5 years for my lower back .We will see how my back holds up now that my knee is repaired. Hope everyone is doing well. Best of health to all , Iceman
 
This bonesmart forum has been addicting. I hope when I go back to work , I can wean off this forum abit.
just like our post op drugs. :loll: I haven't been able to kick it (BS) yet. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kneeper , oh boy I didnt realize or maybe I forgot you had your other knee done. And it looks like 3 weeks ago. Hope everything is going fine . I remember those dark days, while my recovery went very well , it still was a weird ordeal. I had never had a surgery before my TKR. I do know that things will get better and that time flies by. Take care. Iceman
 
I buy a one half cinderblock which is 7 inches high for my studio tables. They are big enough that the table legs just sit on them. When I am finished, I just chuck them out---they only cost $2 too.
 
@skigirl , unfortunately that is not a option . No wood at all in the meat dept. Costco has such stringent and extensive policies for sanitation. I doubt ill stay in the meat dept much longer, maybe 2 years max. 2 or 3 inches higher would make such a difference too. Oh well. @ironman60 so true I never joined a forum before but it feels great to encourage people , I get more out of helping. Take care. Iceman
 
Ice---Costco is supposed to be a good employer, why not lay this on the dept head? Cinderblocks are cement--but might be too pourous for meat dept. But, a brick is exactly 2 inches high. Sanitation is a real issue--that is one reason that I only buy meat from Costco. Their meat is great and they have organic chicken and hamburger---they are actually a fantastic store, but I can also see that a transfer from the meat dept would help your aching back. At least in the warehouse or bakery, you would move around more. I want to drive a forklift!! Secret ambition--too many years of being an artist and lugging heavy boxes to art shows!!
 
@icep707
Costco, like other employers has an internal group that handles accommodations for your work environment.

For instance, my employer has an ergonomic advisor who comes to your office and evaluates your work environment for ways to reduce strain on the body; for us the standard equipment ordered is an ergonomic chair, adjustable standing desk, an ergonomic mouse or monitor stand. You don't have to be disabled but the same group usually administers ergonomics probably administers the ADA (Americans with Disabilities) group internally.

Your HR should be able to put you in touch with such an advisor. They might be called job accommodation, ADA disabilities, ergonomics, or some such. Companies are just as much about preventing injury because it reduces down time, disability claims, etc. Should be able to get you an adjustable height table that meets health sanitation standards.
 
Hi @icep707. I would hope that Costco would make accommodations for you and allow the table to be adjusted. How are you handling the back pain now? It is unfortunate that you have this pain considering how your knees are all better now! Hope you are doing okay nonetheless. Take care.
 
@skigirl @1ELISEA @71Beetle Thanks for the imput and yes Costco is a great employer. Im very fortunate. The company has given me so much, My back hasnt bothered me for over a week. It had more with me being off for 4 months than the tables being too short, could be im too tall at 6ft 3 inches. I will bring it up soon with my manager but most of my coworker are like 5 ft 8 inches. So it can get complicated plus we would have to lift the saws too. As for my knee, it is a non issue. I forget about it , only thing that reminds me is the scar. I hope everyone is doing well. Ill be in touch . Best of health to all. Iceman
 
I am so glad to hear about this---it is important that we begin to move on with our lives and discover the joy of living and not recuperating.
 
Wonderful and inspiring news that you no longer think of your surgery. I so look forward to that day. All the best to you!
 
@1ELISEA My scar looks real good to me. But I showed family members over the weekend at a reunion and they all jumped back and let out a WOW! Obviously they have no idea about TKR. I tried to upload pic of it but format too large. Cant figure out how to make it smaller. Im not a computer guy! So whats up with you? You follow the world cup ? USA gave it a good go. You follow any other sport other than football ? Ill be money gatherer for our company fantasy football league again . Its gonna be a great year in the west. Ill predict 49ers to win it !!. Take care and best wishes. Ivan
 
Hello @icep707

Sorry for the delay In responding. You asked me what was happening with my health. Unfortunately due to the sheer scale of my thread the information gets lost so I thought it would make more sense to bring you up to date here if you don't mind. I will start a separate recovery thread when I have my next op. Firstly my family are fine and so are my grandkids. I can't believe the eldest grandson is 19 next month. Frightening how fast my life is going! How is your son? X

Ok back to health issues. Firstly I'm having further surgery in my TKR. They did drainage and cortisone shots in it in June and they did not work. So now on 22nd September I'm having the patella resurfaced and a new kneecap. On the 5th of September my left knee is to be reviewed. If the X-rays show little or no deterioration then they'll try to save it if not.....yikes!!! I think there is a problem with it quite frankly. I get the pain in it come through 80 mg Morphine and 1000mg paracetamol (Tylenol) a day. It's given way on me twice in the last couple of weeks.

I've been diagnosed with a lung disease called Bronchiectasis which at the moment is in it's mild form but I have to take an antibiotic every day for life and six decongestant tablets on top of three inhalers and two asthma tablets! Then they also diagnosed benign looking nodules on my lungs, so I have to have annual CT scans to ensure nothing changes in there.

I'm glad to see you're getting back into work ok although you're tired. I cannot wait to go back. I hope maybe by Christmas if this goes ok. I miss the camaraderie and my colleagues. I miss the kids I teach even though they are challenging often bratty stroppy teenagers but I love them really x x x

Take care Ice
Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@icep707
:sneaker:

Hi there!
I've been on vacation enjoying some nice if not super hot weather. Thought I'd re-injured my ankle and foot but dr said it was good.

I only overused it; so that made me happy. I mean, if I'm going to be bothered by my ankle foot, let it be from overuse, yep!

Hope you are doing well and enjoying the summer. Can't believe it's fading so quickly and soon we'll be into September, and then October and then............ well, you get the picture... :heehee:


 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom