TKR ICEMAN BACK to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Karringtyn I went to the OS today for 6 week check up . As yes they took exrays. Everything looked great. My OS Hasnt touch my knee to check my ROM since my surgery. I find that weird . I tell him my ROM before he ask. He says im behind on flexion . Than he tells me to slow down. I tried to kneel like Foxy today but im too tall. But im going to try and try . I really set myself back last Wednesday for about 4 days. But by yesterday I felt great and kick a*^ 2 days in a row at PT. I so thankful . Its been 10 years since ive gone up stairs without pain . No more bone on bone issues. Even my left knee is happy. There is slight osteoarthritis there but right now its years away from any type of treatment. I hope you turn the corner. You sound much better. So what kind of movements can you do ?? Pain levels ?? Are you still iceing and elevated ???. Ive been putting a heating pad on first thing in the morning, it really loosens it up . Than ill bend my knee on the stairs, etc. Than ill ice and elevate. Than PT than ice and elevate. Than ill nap , wake up and use the electric stim with ice on my quad and tighten and squueze. So helpful. I like this treatment. Well my dear , have fun this weekend. The kids will be gone ,???.
 
Hi Ice, just thought I'd check in on you as you've been quiet. I hope it's because you've been busy and not because you're in one of the horrid post TKR down spots. :-( You're always so supportive of everyone with a kind word and helpful advice that I wanted to just make sure that you were okay. ((hugs))
 
Thank you soo much !! Ive been great . 7 weeks tomorrow. I havent been posting much as everthing is going fine . Not much new to report. I have been watching and following college basketball march madness also known as the final 4. I really am so happy with my outcome. In fact , we went to the movies the othernight and the new knee is better than my other knee. My old knee is arthritic but not nearly as bad as the one that got replaced, that one had no cartridge and most ligaments were ruptured. But to get up after 2 and a half hours from a movies and for my new knee to feel like it did was a miracle. Id like to give a shout out to my OS , dr Kevin k Howe from santa rosa california. I still have 5 weeks off from work . Im going to laguna beach for a week in mid april. 69$ each way on Southwest airlines. I go to PT everyday to ride bike and walk on treadmill. Practicing on my gait.

Last I remember , you had a issue with your knee. Treated horribly by OS , drained your knee and serious pain and setback . And you are about 3 weeks into escrow. Whats the update ? I hope your knee improves. Did you get to the bottom of that odor??? Ill be honest , this forum has helped me so much pre op and post. I did however private message Jeano last week and she is doing great , shes doing her easter fast from Internet so if anyone was wondering what happened to her. As I said im doing well , no complaints other than morning stiffness , but sleeping much better now. No meds for a couple days . A tylenol here and there. I hope your girls are improving, nana moon and dogwheels. Last I remembered dogwheel hurt her knee and nana was knoodleling with Pierre the Frenchman. Lol. Hope your dogs are well . Best wishes. Ivan
 
Hi Ice. Good memory! no further news on what's up with my knee or what all that 'lovely' blood was that they pulled from it last week. I have a follow up on the 8th. I'm still having to work more than I should, but I'm doing my best to balance everything. As for the house, I close at the end of April and I am hoping that the 'odor' departs along with the seller & her furniture. I did request the carpets be cleaned which was agreed to, so hopefully all will be good.

your week in laguna sounds awesome!! Being near/in/on the water always makes me feel better. I'm actually going to Rocky Point next weekend and I can't wait!

Dogwheels is doing a bit better with her setback, Nana Moon is headed to vacation tomorrow and all the other girls are doing a-ok. I'm so glad to hear how well you're doing Ivan. Keep up the great work!!!
 
Ive been great . 7 weeks tomorrow. I havent been posting much as everthing is going fine . Not much new to report.
Well it sounds like things are ticking along pretty good for you then!.... :tada: will you able to do a graduated return to work when you go back in May? .... seems to me you're a butcher....? so jumping into a full week of being on your feet might be tough :groan:
 
Hey Ice! I have been off here for a while. Arizona/Wisconsin game was a great game, must not the outcome I wanted! Kentucky game also great! I am doing well. Headed to Memphis this wee,with my son's high school baseball team. We are playing a tourney there. Should be great for the kids. When I get back it is balls to the walls! Back to work full time. On call, operating, the whole deal. I think. Will be ok. I get sore at times, but overall, I am pleased with the surgery. Glad you are well! Keep it up bud!
Braindoc
 
Checking in, Ice! Glad to see you are doing well. Take it easy as doing too much will cause issues. Enjoy the ball games. Go Gators! :heehee: If you read my thread you would understand why this little guy is chuckling. :rotfl:

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
So the new knee is becoming the "good" knee, Ice? Great! Well, not good that the other knee isn't good--but you know what I mean. :)
 
@ SaltyAl Costco is very flexible and a great company to work for . I am a butcher there and intend to go back however I suppose I will find out immediately. My concern is getting home to a watermelon size knee. I have about 165 hours of vacation and sick time when I get back , worse case scenerio I answer phones but I probably will fall asleep . Not a good look. They will put me on light duty if I need it. Thanks for checking in . Hope all is well with you. @braindoc excellant tournament so far . I got Wisconsin winning against Florida in my bracket. Sorry about your wildcats. Gordons a beast. @ daughterstalker I just read some more of your pages towards the end. I had no idea you have been dealing with these issues. Im confused about the scar tissue ? I dont recall you having a MUA ? Are they adhesions. Now im apprehensive moving forward. Im very early on but have dodge any issues as of yet. Florida looks real good . I really like there coach Donovan. I remember his playing days. Sounds like you are having good days too. Walking past co workers is always a good sign. I cant wait to show off my new gait. Before the surgery I was pathetic. At my height 6ft3 walking with a limp is very noticeable. I walk daily on a treadmill practicing my walk. Its a miracle. I hope all works out for you . Best wishes. @ Knepper I totally know what you mean! After 25 years of dealing with my right knee and to walk stairs without pain is a miriacle. And to go to movies is a pleasure till lefty acted up. There is arthritic damage but my ligaments are sound . So we will see. Not sure if its genetic or too much sports . So far so good. Best wishes .
 
@icep707
Treadmill and walking stairs; sounds like you hit the 6 week mark and went roaring by.
Isn't it great when you turn the corner! :yes: All of that pain seems almost worth it.
You'll continue to improve over the next 12 months too.

You and braindoc have a lot in common; standing all day sticking knives in bodies! :heehee:

It sounds like you really enjoy Costco; they seem like a decent employer. I know someone that works at Costco, family friend, that was very very seriously hurt in a traffic accident and the employees donated their vacation and sick leave to him. And Costco the company brought over groceries every week. This was many months. He returned in a wheel chair and was not able to do his previous job so they gave him another job tailor made for him.

Good to hear you doing well!!!:thumb:
 
I walk daily on a treadmill practicing my walk. Its a miracle
That's great Ice!!! I remember not being able to walk on a treadmill! I have one in storage but that's not helping me right now!! Funny how we have to re-learn to walk!! I know I was limping when I first started walking and my PT said whoa now hang on....you are limping and you don't need to....My mind was still in gear for the pain from my knees!!! Anyway good for you!! Also great to hear you are doing really well!!! You have had such a great attitude! And, all the fun with Rick and the rest really kept many of us entertained through it all! Kinda sad when people start leaving due to being well....but that's also the good and great news....people are going back to living and living a much better pain free life.....well @icep707 keep on keeping strong....Talk again soon!!
 
@1ELISEA I swear I was great at playing tag as a young boy in the city back in the 70s. Now for some reason I cant tag anyone to save my life. Costco has given me so much . I was literally just floating around life with no direction till they employed me . The kid that lost both his legs in the tragic Boston marathon bombings was a employee and was given tons of vacation hours and other things. Im amazed at my outcome so early on and honestly I have to give the credit to my surgeon. I mean , im no slacker, I was up on day one and wanted to do more till I realized less is more . The knee is the boss, but the surgeon really did very little damage to the best of my leg. No bruising, quad literally unaffected at all, no tourniquet pain , only thing that bothered me other than the knee area was the calf, almost as if he squeezed the heck out of it , with his hand during surgery. My visits with him are so brief. He hasnt even touched my leg. He did however like the glued incision. I must come clean . I did eventually peel that sucker off. Well Elisea. Its raining in the Bay Area , cats and dogs. Looking forward to the NFL draft as always but real excited about this year. Poor Desean Jackson .well not poor but u know what I mean . He needs some good mentoring . Whats the status on your knee ? I see your right knee is about 16 months old . What does it feel like . ??? Well got to go . Take care . Ivan
 
I swear I was great at playing tag as a young boy in the city back in the 70s

Glad I can help ya tag 'em when ya need. :)
Hey, sorry ya lost your friend braindoc. But it is good to know that you have a doc lined up should you ever need brain surgery. :yes:
Thanks for sticking around and sharing with the new members. :thumb:

Whats the status on your knee ?
I should update; thanks for the reminder. When I get some time next week, I'll give a status.

In the meantime, however, I pulled a groin muscle last week and have been walking very gingerly since then. I was using a hip abductor machine to exercise, and somehow, don't ask me how, I pulled my groin muscle. Owwwww.......
So that's was a week ago, and it's a bit better, but figuring it is going to be a few weeks, sigh..... it hurts.
That'll teach me it's better not to exercise! :rolleyes: The knee seems fine, though, the muscle next to my knee is doing double duty and not liking me much.


glued incision. I must come clean . I did eventually peel that sucker off.
Ok, true confessions, so did I. Doesn't peeling it off take you back to childhood; did you ever make Elmer's glue fingerprints and then pull them off. Must say, though, the scar does look better once all that glue is off.

Poor Desean Jackson
Eh... whatever. I feel sorrier for my man Golden Tate who wasn't pick up by the Seahawks and wound up in Detroit. Well, he isn't poor either come to think about it.
 
Ivan , we went and got a membership at Costco today . It's a bit farther for us to go than BJ'S or Sam's Club but they have more .

Rick

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
 
Apparently all dentists haven't gotten the memo . Mine wouldn't touch me without antibiotics taken 1 hour before .

Just to show how important taking the abx can be......An older acquaintance of mine was also diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). Before my last dental cleaning I informed my hygienist who called in the dentist who then talked to my oncologist/hematologist and they would not touch me until I got a prescription for amoxicillin and took it one hour prior. So I have to take the abx regardless of the tkr.

My friend failed to disclose his CLL diagnosis to his dentist, went through a cleaning and caught a bacterial blood infection that was even serious enough to hospitalize him for a few days and he is still not fully recovered though it has been a couple of weeks.

Obviously I am pretty conservative, proof being I opted for separate tkr's and not doing the bilateral. These new studies and protocols may indicate that prophylactic abx is not necessary in 99% of the cases, but I just don't want to be that 1% guy. :)
 
@RickSt
The pizza slices and hot dogs are the bomb. Very inexpensive but fattening. They occasionally will roll out different food items. So keep checking. I am a butcher there. They do have some pretty good deals there. Even dog treats for your pooch. How have you been ??? You riding bicycle often ? I still have 5 weeks off @ Foxmyster1967 from work . I go to PT everyday since its like 3 blocks from my house and they offered me the privilege to work out anytime. My 2 therapist couldnt be more different. One very very gentle and the other one abit rough. I ended up favoring the rough guy . Not initially though. My ROM is improving every couple of days, particularly my flexion , which was my concern. Today over 115. My goal will be 140. Extension is fine. Im gonna need to adjust my sleep pattern the closer I get to work. I need to wake up by 6am. I can barely get up at 8 am right now. Sleeping solid now ! Which is great. @Phil75070 im scheduled for a teeth cleaning July. Who would I ask for antibiotics ? OS or my primary. Im pretty bug resistant with a cast iron stomach but I dont want to take chances either. At least not on this next cleaning . Take care GUYS !
 
Not initially though. My ROM is improving every couple of days, particularly my flexion , which was my concern. Today over 115. My goal will be 140. Extension is fine.

WOWZEEEE You are really doing awesome Ice!!! CONGRATS on doing so fantastic!!!

Who would I ask for antibiotics ? OS or my primary

My OS gave me a prescription today! Just ask and you will have them!
 
@RickSt
The pizza slices and hot dogs are the bomb. Very inexpensive but fattening. They occasionally will roll out different food items. So keep checking. I am a butcher there. They do have some pretty good deals there. Even dog treats for your pooch. How have you been ??? You riding bicycle often ? I still have 5 weeks off @ Foxmyster1967 from work . I go to PT everyday since its like 3 blocks from my house and they offered me the privilege to work out anytime. My 2 therapist couldnt be more different. One very very gentle and the other one abit rough. I ended up favoring the rough guy . Not initially though. My ROM is improving every couple of days, particularly my flexion , which was my concern. Today over 115. My goal will be 140. Extension is fine. Im gonna need to adjust my sleep pattern the closer I get to work. I need to wake up by 6am. I can barely get up at 8 am right now. Sleeping solid now ! Which is great. @Phil75070 im scheduled for a teeth cleaning July. Who would I ask for antibiotics ? OS or my primary. Im pretty bug resistant with a cast iron stomach but I dont want to take chances either. At least not on this next cleaning . Take care GUYS !

We bought a big pork tenderloin then cut it up into chops when we got home after letting it freeze about halfway . Got a big strawberry cheesecake and a ham for Saturday when we have friends coming over . I haven't been back on my bike yet but I hope to in the morning . We've been kinda busy the past couple of days . I know the words being busy and retired don't quite jive but we're both on committees here at Legacy and we have our Alaskan cruise coming up in less than 60 days . Glad you're doing well .

Take care,
Rick

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom