Guest viewing is limited

TKR ICEMAN BACK to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conference tourneys!! Leading up to selection Sunday! I'm with you Ice! Villanova getting beat yesterday may knock them from a #1 seed. We timed our surgery well, so that we can watch some great hoops!!
 
I purchased a TENS unit on Amazon 2 days ago . I need to spend money since ive had the surgery ive barely spent much money. Im having that itch to spend . Anyway they use those electrical stimulation devices on me at OPT. I figured what the heck . Ill buy one. My calf is sensitive so I figured , why not . Im staying home all day today , just elevating and iceing. Yesterday I did ALOT. Almost as if I didnt even have a surgery. Knee not to swollen but alittle pain , maybe a 2. I do alot at OPT. With good results with my ROM. Hope everyone has a great weekend and a spendid recovery. Anyone have input regarding the TENS unit ?????.
 
Hey there @icep707
How are you doing after staying home all day resting, elevating and icing?

Are you generally feeling better overall? You mentioned being on your own since the second week; that is difficult when having to drive to medical appts and having had a right TKR. Hope that you are getting out and about more now.


Did your team pick up any good players during free agency?
 
@ELISEA. All is well here in northern California. Weather nice and relatively painfree. However I do feel abit dehydrated, plus me and GF had a picnic yesterday at the local golf course and I may have gotten to much sun . Sun and tramadol dont mix . I got to make more of a effort to drink fluids. Hope you are well and functioning great with your knee. You are about 16 months out . That is great !!!! As for the niners I hope they get a wide reciever in the free agent market. They took a look at Edelman and Sanders the other day . I see Seattle is starting to lose some players which is common for a super bowl team . Both teams have great systems and will improve . We actually move to a new stadium this year in Santa Clara. 50 miles south. Its gonna host the super bowl in 2 years. Its a gem . Thanks Elisea , for checking in . Im so grateful and happy that I joined bonesmart. Best wishes
 
@icep707
Well that does sound fun, but is there such a thing as too much sun??!!! :)

Are you going to stick around and encourage others like you have been doing? (Great job by the way.)

I just read another of your posts and it sounded like now that you are feeling better, you have less reason to be on the forum.

You are always welcome here!
 
Hey Big bro!!! I am glad you are doing well and listening to your little sis. How is the girlfriend? I still wanna see a pic of you!!
 
Icep707 Happy St. Patrick's big guy. Having a couple pints of Guinness in your honor. Not to worry, not behind the wheel and hitting the pillow soon. I used electrostim early and now occasionally at work. I def think it helps with muscle tone. Just keep it away from any sensitive tissue or small bat eared dogs that may be taking up residence on your legs. Take care mate.
 
Hey Ice!!! Hope all is well in your world! Thank you for your support by stopping in and checking with me. Sure means alot!! Looks like you are doing fantastic! Here's to your continued good health and recovery! :beer:
 
@Elisea I will certainly continue to help prep pre ops and encourage post ops. Just a little less frequently. As I am much more mobile nowadays. Im no longer "stuck" in the house . I only took tylenol last night and today . and may drop the Tramadol altogether . I still have oxys just sitting there from week 1. I get paranoid with them in the house , like the are an illicit drug . Like a swat team will raid my house . I most certainly got too much sun as I slept all night with a headache . I felt great this morning !! More on that later .

@Karringtyn I ticked my GF off today . I think im back to my old jerky self I only took tylenol last night and this morning and woke up great. No hangover from meds . Rearing and roaring to go !!! Much to the chagrin of the GF. It caught her off guard . She loves to sleep in and im a early riser. Well , a little misunderstanding led to her , going back to her house . Oh well . Girls are so sensitive !!

@mcirish Me Lad. !! Hows It going ? I read you are having a issue with your quad. Whats going on .?? Dont let Pt beat you up . Although some know what they are doing . Are they able to shed light on the issue ?? Whats their professional opinion ? What percentage of strength do you have in quad back ??? Was quad weak before surgery ? I really hope you regain it . All is great here . Just working hard on ROM. Made it to 90. 5 weeks today and honestly alittle worried. Only because a 70 year old blew my ROM away and shes 3 weeks out . A little blow to my physic and confidance . I shouldnt compare but it got my attention . Other than that everything is fine .

@suzzee2000 im so glad you are doing great . Its a rollercoaster ride for sure. Alot depends on your patience and determination. And med management !! Keep in touch . We are all here for you !
 
woke up great. No hangover from meds . Rearing and roaring to go !!! Much to the chagrin of the GF. It caught her off guard . She loves to sleep in and im a early riser. Well , a little misunderstanding led to her , going back to her house . Oh well . Girls are so sensitive !!
Awwwwww....your poor GF.... YES we sure are!!!!
 
Just working hard on ROM. Made it to 90. 5 weeks today and honestly alittle worried. Only because a 70 year old blew my ROM away and shes 3 weeks out . A little blow to my physic and confidance . I shouldnt compare but it got my attention . Other than that everything is fine .

@icep707 yea, things are getting better, but still not ideal. Beyond all the over-analysis I have done, I think the basic issue I have had was my knee hasn't been ready to completely heal, but it's getting there.

My friend, don't worry about your flexibility. No matter what you do or don't, it will work out. You are where you are because you are! What I have learned is that everybody is different....no duhhhh Tom right? No seriously, I would say the same thing myself, but it took a couple of other PT warriors lapping me to really understand it.:) There were a couple of guys in PT who had TKR's, 1 and 2 weeks after my procedure.......they were both WAY ahead of me in quad strength by the time they left....and I was still there an extra 2 sessions after them even though they started AFTER (whoops) me:tantrum:, but....I was ahead of both of them in flexibilty. I was at 90 in the hospital, full extension at 3 weeks post op and I hit 142 degrees flex at my last PT session. Point is YOU ARE DOING AWESOME. May not seem like it, but a couple weeks from now you will see a big difference. You will look back on today and feel great about your progress guaranteed.....just don't over do it.....fall back on the mantras....pretend you are Phil Jackson and meditate lol....just relax.

I don't want to come off as preachy, but I just care about you man and this is from my heart. I know what you are going through because I was just there. :groan:Made all the mistakes too and seemed to have survived. Living and learning and the big thing I learned is that the mantras are pretty much carved in stone tablets. The wisdom of all these good people that came before us. This stuff will get you home bud. It's just takes time.

Also, thank you for keeping tabs on me....and also keeping tabs on just about every other person here LOL. You are truly one of the MVPs of the forum bud. Not sure how you do it, but you are a good man.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@mcirish. You have become a ZEN MASTER ! I hope you stay on the west coast . I know and I made another mistake. Im not ready to go strickly on tylenol. I most certainly need my tramadol .!!!!! I had the knee "toothache" all night. Im not overly concerned about my ROM, but just a tad. I have read about a few of them lately. Im positive my issue is internal swelling. The swelling on the outside is minimal and incision looks great . I suppose alittle depression is getting to me because of lack of sleep. So im tired all the time and its depressing . However I was well aware of this beforehand. Im just chronicling my emotional state. I do hope you get your quad strength back . Its funny because my quad is hella strong but ROM behind alittle. So we are opposite. You are a good guy yourself and very bright. I really appreciate your compliments. It means alot . I really get a kick reading your thread. You really did your medical knee research . I know you give credit paste and copy but you did the research and thats impressive. Your daughter will be proud to have a smart , determined, motivated and loving father. Value these years with her as much as you can because time flies by !! Before you know it you will be walking her down the isle . It goes fast . Keep up the great work . How was your pattys day yesterday ??
 
@icep707 meehhhh, St. Patty's ain't what it used to be. Pretty tame. The Guinness was consumed after my daughter went to bed so she would not smell it on her old man:angel:.....one with my dinner and one in the shower.....followed by the spontaneous posts I made to you and, well @DogLoverx3 will claim it was me, but I claim that someone hacked my account and committed PUI (posting under the influence) on my thread lol. I think I told her you and I were going to train to become ultimate fighters (senior division) after we recovered, some silliness like that. I am such a lightweight! 2 Guinness does that to me.

Thank you for your kind words sir. I try to inform myself and others, but sometimes, many times, I ramble a bit. Always with good intentions. I am learning to say things more with a smile and a warm heart. So important, especially in this day and age where we can all be so busy, edgy and impersonal.

Yea, fatigue is definitely the enemy, but cannot be helped. This recovery is like a war, so long and drawn out....just have to find a "foxhole" anytime and anywhere you can and just rest. So weird. I was sleeping like a bear after week 4 post op and suddenly in the last several days following DLST (spring forward) I have had terrible insomnia....5-6 hours a night max....but I seem to function okay during the day once I get going. Show must go on.....:shrug:
 
Talk about ODIC. I thought I overdid it early on but JEEZ LUIZ !! Yesterday was the motherload . Soft tissue protesting in a bloody revolt . 5 -6 weeks out. Implant indestructible , soft tissue more sensitive than a babys bottom . Just when I thought I was almost good to go , im humbled ! And totally not in charge. I went to visit co workers and ended up talking with almost everyone working at Costco. Wasnt my intent . Just got carried away and time fly by . I doubt I impacted the implant . Elevation , ice and rest the order of the next couple of days . Seriously cant sleep tonight . I really really upset the soft tissue like no other . And all I did was walk , stand and get in and out of my car a dozen or so times . Its not like I played soccer or basketball . Im sure rest will help !! Just wanted to vent . Everybody have a great day . Talk to you soon
 
icep707.....I did the same thing! Five weeks out from BTKR had my first visit with out patient PT, then stopped by grocery store for the first time since sx. Big mistake!!! By evening I could barely walk. Our knees are still in charge!!! Hope you feel better soon.
 
@2014knees . Congratulations on the new knees. I havent seen your thread as of yet. I see you joined the other day. I think you bilaterals are so brave and amazing . I had been progressing excellently and still feel that way but I diffenetlly slowed myself down for 2 days atleast. I took a 5mg oxy and im iceing right now as my soft tissue hasnt been this upset with me since week 1. Fortunately I have 6 more weeks to return to work . Have you started your own thread so that people can meet you and help with advice if you need any . Have you recieved or are you aware of the mantras ?? Bonesmart has really been so beneficial for me . Well ,welcome again and best wishes.
 
@icep707 lol sucks doesn't it? When you are out and about there is really no hint of how angry your knee is or will be later on (kind of like a girlfriend huh lol???)...and if it does start to hurt towards the end of you excursion, then YOU KNOW you really screwed up!.....like me in Vegas. My knee eventually forgave me and yours will too. Take er easy mang. Gotta go to work now, but I had to respond:) Just think of your knee as your new girlfriend! lol
 
@icep707, take advantage of March Madness and spend the day elevated and iced and you will be good again. Just think of all the guys out there who are faking illness so they can lay around all day and watch basketball!!! I am doing the same but instead if basketball it will be some mindless movie to occupy my wake thoughts.
 
I think I told you that the pain would go to the soft tissues but even that gradually goes away . It's still hard for me to walk without a slight limp but I'm working on it although I am really lazy when it comes to exercises . Technically I have two more weeks before I can get back on my bike but it's calling my name . During this whole process, I've had the weather in my favor . As Floridians, we're able to get out more and that gives a huge boost to the attitude . For the first time since surgery I'm actually going to shoot pool today .

Hang in there Bro . It'll get better .

Rick
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom