TKR ICEMAN BACK to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright mate,
Yes I'm ok went back to work today for the first full day, not bad just got home knees swollen up and limping a bit so I'm icing now. I'm not sure if I'm going mad but I think I have one leg longer then the other!!! Still waiting for leg to go down but still feels strange. Back to work tomorrow then weekend off just resting then back full time Monday. I hung four fire check doors today and was up and down the ladder all day, it's got to be good PT ha sent it?? Annie pulled throu which was nice. I'm off all my meds now thank god that was driving me mad too. Well catch up with you soon brother keep well. Foxy.:happydance:
 
@mcirish , yeah these knees sure can be sentimental and sensitive , kind of like the ole lady, well in my case the younger lady. The GF. She loves me more than I deserve and we bust chops all day , however she is missing a gene. We went to see shutters island years ago. And in the scene , tragically when he found his children dead. I was horrified and very sad and almost to tears , I looked over at the GF and she was totally unaffected. (Warning sign guys ) however shes a great mother and spoils her son . No doubt about it ! Lesson learn as for the odic, no matter how accidental it was. Trust me I will rest.
@Nana Mo you are so right . Ive been elevated and iced since last night. im Watching basketball and on a kneecation. I called in sick to OPT today , ironically. They called me back personally and said they will treat the knee with stim and ice to help recover but I declined. It was nice that they called and were concerned. I told them I took too much meds and couldnt drive which is not the case, im just tired and my soft tissue is very very angry. This is a first . I thought I had over done it before but not like this. Implant is solid. I so feel like week 1 last night I even had a vivid weird dream as I did my first 7 days which I thought were oxy related. I was running at Dodger stadium chasing foul balls in street clothes. I HATE the Dodgers!! However my gait and strides were spot on . Unlike reality! Well Nana hope you are doing well Im gonna catch up on your thread.

@RickSt nice to hear from you, its been awhile. Have you noticed all the bilaterals lately and on deck . Its crazy . Like 2 every week. It was totally accidental yesterday. I know you may think im quite and shy but at work im pretty popular. I just got caught up chatting with co workers for much to long . This is a new and strange feeling as it strickly soft tissue which had been healing very well. You know the feeling . One co worker I talked to yesterday is the one of the two nascar fans at work , he said he was taking time off to go to Fontana to watch a race . A nascar race . This weekend or next I think. Anyways nice to hear from you.
 
@mcirish , yeah these knees sure can be sentimental and sensitive , kind of like the ole lady, well in my case the younger lady. The GF. She loves me more than I deserve and we bust chops all day , however she is missing a gene. We went to see shutters island years ago. And in the scene , tragically when he found his children dead. I was horrified and very sad and almost to tears , I looked over at the GF and she was totally unaffected. (Warning sign guys ) however shes a great mother and spoils her son . No doubt about it ! Lesson learn as for the odic, no matter how accidental it was. Trust me I will rest.
@Nana Mo you are so right . Ive been elevated and iced since last night. im Watching basketball and on a kneecation. I called in sick to OPT today , ironically. They called me back personally and said they will treat the knee with stim and ice to help recover but I declined. It was nice that they called and were concerned. I told them I took too much meds and couldnt drive which is not the case, im just tired and my soft tissue is very very angry. This is a first . I thought I had over done it before but not like this. Implant is solid. I so feel like week 1 last night I even had a vivid weird dream as I did my first 7 days which I thought were oxy related. I was running at Dodger stadium chasing foul balls in street clothes. I HATE the Dodgers!! However my gait and strides were spot on . Unlike reality! Well Nana hope you are doing well Im gonna catch up on your thread.

@RickSt nice to hear from you, its been awhile. Have you noticed all the bilaterals lately and on deck . Its crazy . Like 2 every week. It was totally accidental yesterday. I know you may think im quite and shy but at work im pretty popular. I just got caught up chatting with co workers for much to long . This is a new and strange feeling as it strickly soft tissue which had been healing very well. You know the feeling . One co worker I talked to yesterday is the one of the two nascar fans at work , he said he was taking time off to go to Fontana to watch a race . A nascar race . This weekend or next I think. Anyways nice to hear from you.

Fontana is this week end . I shot 3 games of 8 ball and put my stick away . All the twisting walking around the table was aggravating my knee so I'll ease back into it gradually . I started getting my ham radios back out and hooking them up to give me something else to do at home .
Rick
 
@icep707 ....more learning. I was always told by the PT that the ache and pain I was feeling after activity was soft tissue and I am sure some of it is, but even today, after almost a week of just taken it easy, I had the achy pulsing pain today. So I google "knee replacement how long am i going to have this damn pain!" (12 weeks post op tomorrow) and stumbled on this website: broken link removed: https://www.ccmhonline.com/orthopedics/total-knee-replacement

The enemy now has a name. Bony. Stress. Pain.....click on the link, go to the middle of the page right by the x-ray pic. I read that and it answered the question that has bugged me since I got home from the hospital. Much of the throbbing pain we from our little ODIC adventures is in the bone. From the remodeling.....well, and from us overdoing it with our activity levels. Read it and relax, I just did. I was always paranoid that I was doing something wrong or that something bad was happening in there, but it is just part of the normal healing process and I could still be feeling it at diminishing levels for up to 3-6 months post op. (the time it takes for the bones to remodel).

Of course even if we still follow protocol, we are all going to over do it at times, but at least now I/we know what is probably going on after these little post-ODIC episodes when we have our knees barking at us.
 
@mcirish , yeah these knees sure can be sentimental and sensitive , kind of like the ole lady, well in my case the younger lady. The GF. She loves me more than I deserve and we bust chops all day , however she is missing a gene. We went to see shutters island years ago. And in the scene , tragically when he found his children dead. I was horrified and very sad and almost to tears , I looked over at the GF and she was totally unaffected. (Warning sign guys ) however shes a great mother and spoils her son . No doubt about it ! Lesson learn as for the odic, no matter how accidental it was. Trust me I will rest.
And just to be fair, as men, we do some dumb things at times to draw the ire of our women. So while our significant others may just give us the "death stare" when commit a violation and then chose to unleash the scorn many hours or days later, we men often deserve it. I am surprised that my wife has not made me sleep with the dog more often.

And the movie thing....maybe she is just not a fan of Leo? lol
 
A reminder:

From here on out, anytime you go to the dentist, you need to take an antibiotic 1 hour before ANY procedure . Apparently metal knees are real susceptible to infection from dental procedures because of so much bacteria in your mouth .

Rick
 
Hello @icep707 Sure have missed seeing you around!! Wanted to stop by say hello and hope all is continuing to be well. By reading up on this thread I have to say it looks like it is!!!

A reminder:
From here on out, anytime you go to the dentist, you need to take an antibiotic 1 hour before ANY procedure . Apparently metal knees are real susceptible to infection from dental procedures because of so much bacteria in your mouth .Rick
Thanks for that information @RickSt that is very helpful...I will remember
 
Hey Ice! I have not been on here much. Son's baseball tourney was priority one all week. We won the whole enchilada! My ortho told me b4 surgery. You will hurt, ache and not feel right for at least 6 months. It is a year until you forget you had it done. That is what I tell SOME of my lumbar fusion patients. If you tell everyone that, many will panic and choose not to have anything done as they assume the pain is constant and the same intensity. Like you, I have way overdone it this week. Out to 11-1PM on a couple of occasions at the ballpark. I'm gonna lay low this weekend and watch some basketball and hope AZ plays better against the Zags or we will be done! Hang in there bro
 
dentist, you need to take an antibiotic 1 hour before ANY procedure
@icep707 @mcirish

The new guidelines from the AAOS (American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons) have new recommendations as of 2012. They no longer recommend standard prophylactic antibiotics.
broken link removed: https://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jan13/cover1.asp.
 
@icep707 @mcirish

The new guidelines from the AAOS (American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons) have new recommendations as of 2012. They no longer recommend standard prophylactic antibiotics.
broken link removed: https://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/jan13/cover1.asp.

Apparently all dentists haven't gotten the memo . Mine wouldn't touch me without antibiotics taken 1 hour before .
 
I had my teethers cleaned in January and will have them cleaned again 6 months from that point. So sometime in July. To use antibiotics or not use antibiotics , so asks Shakespeare. I will get ask my OS on Tuesday when I see him for my 6 week follow up . My GF works in a dental office and she said its up to the orthopedic. Im still sore from from Wednesday. Now it feels like the bone hurts around my knee. Boy ! I really overrdid it. I canceled PT on Thursday and didnt go to walk-in on Friday. I do have a scheduled appt on Monday, which im looking forward to, im not looking forward to it right now but by Monday I will, I hope !!.

Time sure is moving pretty fast . Have you guys noticed all the bilaterals , lately?? Super courageous folks , for sure. I dont think I could do that . Weather is pretty nice lately , averaging around 70 degrees. We didnt have much of a winter here in northern California. I recieved a water conservation notice with my water bill. GF spending the weekend with her son and niece. 2 twelve year olds. So we have been watching movies and having so much fun . The kids were curious about my electric stim device. Thats all I will say about that ! Along with the fact all 4 of us were laughing on the floor .

Im still elevating and iceing when I rest . oh I purchased a membership for 29.99 a month unlimited use at a car wash . Its really really cool . So my car was washed 4 times last week. The place is called Splash. You drive thru it. And they have a fancy vacuum system on the side. I think thats pretty cool . Dont know why I wanted to share that . Oh in tragic news a co worker in a different department was stabbed to death in a love triangle over another coworker by her boyfriend. He was only 22. So sad , in fact the kid had purchase a motorcycle last year yet didnt know how to ride . So I would go to his house and teach him how to ride. So sad . Its hard to believe. This happened Thursday. Just goes to show how fast a life can be taken , as I saw the kid the day before while I was at Costco visiting overdoing it . Well everybody sorry to end this post on a down note as I try to be positive and cheerful , its just whats been happening in crazy california . Bye for now .
 
@RickSt @1ELISEA haven't talked to my dentist yet, but will need to soon since last time I was there we discussed a possible implant. I would think a lot of dentists would probably still require it for liability purposes. CYA right? I am about to drive, but when I get to my office I will post a little anecdote about a good friend of mine who had an unfortunate incident occur at his dentist because of this exact issue.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@icep707 ......weird, I just passed along a sad one on my thread as well, though not quite as recent. Agreed, life is fragile and fleeting. Glad to hear you are chugging along in recovery....BTKRs is a logical thing cause if you need it, just makes sense, but yea, what a TOUGH recovery. The folks that get the bilaterals are truly special.....An "all-you-can eat" carwash with our current water situation!?! I wonder how long the City of Santa Rosa is going to let that go on? Great concept though if water was not an issue. People's creativity in business ventures really amazes me. There is always money to be made somewhere if you just look. Always an angle that someone has not thought of. Enjoy the weekend bud.
 
Congrats on getting to the 6 week mark. :thumb:
Noticing the difference between now and at 2 and 4 weeks? :)
 
First off i PM JEANO to see if she was OK ,as i got alittle worried. She responded and is better than ever. She mentioned something about lent . @mcirish thought you would like to know Jeano is well and will be back after Easter. Yes!! 6 weeks today @1ELISEA. Well I didnt notice anything drastic. Like the parting of the Red Sea. In fact my knee is tight . However im sleeping on my side , getting much more sleep , in fact I cant stay awake past 1am. Which is great. Week 2 was surreal, almost a dream state. Week 4 was like I survived and I need to rehab, now week 6, its like , im still early on and the knee is still in charge. The stairs are easier now, up and down . Down I hold on to rails with both hand but can do 1 foot per step but its ugly. Depression lingering . I go to OS tomorrow. They havent took exrays that I know of since my surgery. I need to work harder on my flexion , im at 93 today. PT started with I should be at 120 and scare tissue this and that. I just nodded my head. 6 more weeks till work . YIKES! I purchased 3 pair of Rockport shoes and 2 pair of tennis shoes today. I need to dump my old shoes as all the heels look deformed from my horriable gait. Not much more to report.Best wishes to all.
 
However im sleeping on my side , getting much more sleep , in fact I cant stay awake past 1am. Which is great. Week 2 was surreal, almost a dream state.
I am having such a HARD time sleeping at night too! I just doze off all day and night....it's aggravating for sure! Glad to know you are getting more sleep and oh how I am dreaming of sleeping on my side!!!!! :)

Depression lingering
I hope mine goes away and yours too!

I purchased 3 pair of Rockport shoes and 2 pair of tennis shoes today.
:yay::yay: I can't WAIT to go shoe shopping!!!!:yay::yay:

Always look forward to your uplifting posts @icep707 you bring alot of fun to the forum!!! Is Rick St still around? Glad I haven't needed to pay any dues the stool softeners worked like magic!!!!:)
 
@suzzee2000 oh how I used to relate to that. I wanted to sleep so bad , but it got to the point I would not even try and just watch tv all night . Than finally when I would fall asleep I would have a nightmare. And than I wouldnt want to sleep. You are in the stage I call a dream state. In that you feel coherent but weeks down the line you will wonder if this has really happened . You probably think that world has ended and the only news is about that tragic plane crash as im a news hog. Believe me other stuff is happening. BTW how are you keeping track of your med intake ??? Is the rehab similar to a hospital ?? Are nurses monitoring you checking vitals etc ?? I love shopping therapy too ! Best wishes
 
I wanted to sleep so bad , but it got to the point I would not even try and just watch tv all night . Than finally when I would fall asleep I would have a nightmare. And than I wouldnt want to sleep. You are in the stage I call a dream state.

Oh Ice I hate it! It's 2:00 am and here I sit in the Rehab Center listening to my sweet 82 yr old roommate snore!!! Dream State that's good one, I think I am there now!!!


BTW how are you keeping track of your med intake ??? Is the rehab similar to a hospital ?? Are nurses monitoring you checking vitals etc ??
They are very different as Nursing Homes/Rehabilitation Centers are more people like us who need rehab and then long term care for those who can't take care of themselves but can't live in the hospital. But it feels more like being in a home like setting. Which makes it more laid back and comfortable!
As far as medication goes.....They are like a hospital and the nurses take care of all of keeping track of meds times and etc.....The only problem I have had was the pharmacy not delivering my meds on time. It's been hard but things are all straightened out and I will be ok until I go home Friday!!! The Nurses Aides take care of vitals. I do not know how I would have come this far if I had gone home. I am thankful for the time I have had to recuperate!!


im a news hog
ME TOO!!!!But my room mate is NOT so that keeps me in check!!
 
Yea, I'm still around some but not as much. I am almost back to normal so changes arent as noticeable . According to what my OS said 2 weeks ago, I should wait 2 more weeks before I get back on my bike but I dont think I'll wait that long. I may try it this week .


Rick

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
 
Hey big bro. Sounds like you are being smart. I appreciate those that are honest about the pain on here. SO many people in real world try to play hero and it drives me to the brink of insanity. It all depends if and WHAT the damage was and reason for surgery. I had serious injury to the knee. It won't be easy, but it's worth it. My six week check up is tomorrow....Have you had yours? Can't wait to see x-rays.....

Keep on keeping on. We got this!:happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom