Guest viewing is limited

TKR ICEMAN BACK to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
No driving for me.......still on pain meds. Not sure when all my bonesmartie friends went off the pain meds when we had surgery around the same time.....but good for you!! I am excited to drive again....just a couple more weeks at this rate.....(I HOPE!) Ice you make me smile! And my inseam is a 36 too!
 
Icep707, Aaron Gordon is playing lights out right now! 19 points, 17 boards against Stanford. The kids motor goes non-stop and the other players love him! Despite losing Brandon Ashley, we are playing great now. The Cats may be the overall number one seed. I am just sad that they will all leave for the NBA...Gordon will be a lottery pick. Yep, I destroyed my knee 2 years ago playing 3 on 3. 3 surgeries later, here I am! Dr J was one of my heroes. He still is. He looked great at Allen Iverson's jersey retirement ceremony
Today will be more rest and elevation for me. Too much in PT yesterday. The pain meds all screw up sleep patterns. Try a Benadryl 25 mg at night. It helps me every now and then
 
Your up!!! Lazy sod! Things are going bonkers over here in Foxy's world. I'm having a great day Ice...:happydance:
 
Goodmorning Friends ! Sleep still pretty elusive. Gots to get up and take a shower and go to OPT . Basically, it should be primarily orientation . Luckily its less than 2 miles away. Ill drive . Not much really happening at this point @braindoc I think you called it groung hog day. He hit it on the head , nothing of substance happens at this point, maybe a small but important milestone here and there. My dear friend @RickSt I remember you saying "not much going on today ! Pretty boring ". I now know what you were talking about . it can test your sanity , fortunately for you , you are a experienced house bum forced into early retirement by your wife. Hope all is going good with you. Ive been on the pre op side, trying to encourage all the scared and nervous pre opers . @ Foxmyster1967 Sir ! Talk to me , tell me all about how it went. I always believe you get more with sugar than salt ! In other words, be positive , even if others are negative, like a therapist. Dont worry , everthing will be alright . U are doing real good , ahead of schedule, which is amazing considering you havent had any formal therapy. Dont over do it . Rest ice and elevate after therapy . What else is going on ? @Karringtyn greeting from the west coast. Between bonesmart, Facebook, and moderating and coupon clipping and the kids and puppies , how on earth do you have time for yourself. I guess this insomnia can benefit you . Id rather sleep which has been scarce I dont take sleep aids. Hopefully things for you start to get easier. 3 weeks in !!!!! Yippie . Your are in our prayers .
 
Great day went for my first PT this morning had a chat 95 rom, she said would I like to start hydro pool today...? I jumped at the chance, went shopping got home had some lunch got my trunks and back to the hospital. Nice little Ozzie girl in the pool with me she said I was very flexible :heehee:...! Had a great time stretching' float work out I'm just buzzing Ice. She told me it was a very critical part of my recovery from now on so PT is a must every day. I'm going to see my Dr in the morning he can get me discount on my local gym:yay:. I just want to get in there and smash it :dancy: Well happy today mate. God bless you and yours from a very smiley FOX.

[Bonesmart.org] ICEMAN BACK to work
 
She must have been cute as a button . I could tell by your energy. Its amazing how pretty girls motivate us !! EXCELLENT ROM. im truly happy for you . I picture you jumping in the water pool without truncks at her very first mention of the word POOL. Head first . You crazy fox !!! Take your time . Patience will be your virtue ! I got to run. Im running alittle late for PT . ill get ahold of you later. Its 9 am here in california. Congratulations again !
 
Pssssshhhhh. I live a pretty boring life. I moderate 14 coupon groups.....teach coupon classes, waitress...care for a 9 year old and two teenagers...two crazy dogs...a hottie husband....eh facebook...play therapist to everyone....coupon....watch lots of reality tv.....pretty boring.

I am NOT one to sit. So this whole "taking it easy" isn't for me!! ;) Have fun at PT!
 
I just want to get in there and smash it
Foxy, do be careful! You are only 4 weeks out and it's very easy to overdo things in water. Remember the mantra

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again

@Josephine . Can Tramadol contribute to sleeplessness ?
Your tagged worked well. You can tell when it's worked as the name changes to a link which is blue and underlined.

As for your question, there are innumerable side effects here but hardly any that I've ever met. Also 'trouble with sleeping' is listed but under the "very rare" section, right down the bottom of the page!
 
Wow can't believe how we do things differently. You guys are just starting therapy and I only have probably 3 more sessions to go. I will be discharged at 120 degrees I am at 113 now. But this is the first day without my crutches. I probably need a cane but am trying hard to walk right. This is very difficult since I have been limping for years. My other thing is I want to sleep all the time lol.
 
@Josephine , That explains the seizures and rectal bleeding !!! Im kidding of course. I may try benadryl as a sleep aid. :thankyou::flwrysmile::yawn:. @papillon I actually completed In home therapy , they would come in and check vitals and do light therapy. Today first day outpatient . Great therapist. Said i can come in anytime or anyday to ride bicycle since i dont have one at home:bicycle1:. And wont charge for it. Very gentle too. Best of luck !!
 
I was taking Tramadol the 6 months leading up to my surgery for pain and if I took it later that around 2 pm I could never sleep. Doctor told me that was a side effect of it. That is why I am very reluctant to use it at this point in just recovery since I already can't sleep at night very well.
 
@Nana Mo thank you for the input. So what are you taking now. ? I wont take oxy. The tramadol and tylenol with one celebrex daily work great relieving the pain but im lucky to get 3 hours of sleep. Thank God ESPN is on 24/7. I take one tramadol every 5 hours and tylenol at night, but now the confusion weather 3000mgs or 4000mgs per day of tylenol is the max. Braindoc the brain surgeon said 3000 mgs a day but momma Josephine says 4000 mgs. No big deal . I dont go over 3500 . Just to be safe . Well keep on keeping on . You are doing just fine . We are wishing you a blessed recovery .
 
I am actually still doing oxycodone 5 mg and Tylenol. I have been able to cut time and dose in the last week. I take one Oxy and one Tylenol about every 4 hours right now. My docs PA said Oxy would be more effective if taken at the same time as Tylenol. I do take 2 Oxy at bedtime and have then been able to stretch time to 5 hours. I was also told that 3000 mg Tylenol is the limit and it hasn't been an issue since I only take one at a time now.
 
That's interesting about the Oxy with the Tylenol @Nana Mo . Sure wish someone would have told me about how to mix and match :umm:I went through several 'trial and error' attempts to decrease my pain meds and ended up being in much more pain that I should have been. I love this forum - everyone gets to benefit from all the different experiences and advice!

@icep707 , those that can sleep during this recovery are very very lucky! I don't think I was able to sleep for more than 2 hours until almost 6 weeks :-( I took Tylenol PM and even tried taking Benadryl Clear Caps (for some reason the pink Benadryls make me wired). Although I rarely take Tramadol anymore, I still only sleep in 2 hour spurts :mcoffee:
 
By the way Iceman, I will never get used to Syracuse in the ACC and Maryland in the Big 10! Virginia is the real deal. They are deep, good defense, good shooters
 
@Nana Mo thank you for the input. So what are you taking now. ? I wont take oxy. The tramadol and tylenol with one celebrex daily work great relieving the pain but im lucky to get 3 hours of sleep. Thank God ESPN is on 24/7. I take one tramadol every 5 hours and tylenol at night, but now the confusion weather 3000mgs or 4000mgs per day of tylenol is the max. Braindoc the brain surgeon said 3000 mgs a day but momma Josephine says 4000 mgs. No big deal . I dont go over 3500 . Just to be safe . Well keep on keeping on . You are doing just fine . We are wishing you a blessed recovery .

Here's the deal on Tylenol--its in a LOT of stuff, like OTC cold remedies, and MOST people will not do the math and tally up just how much they are taking in a 24 hour period from all sources. If you are for example taking something like Lortab with 325 mg tylenol per tab and its ordered take one or two tabs every four to six hours, AND you take two every 4 hours, then you are taking real close to 4000 mg total in that 24 hour period. And that was what was considered to be a safe maximum dose.

HOWEVER--let's say that you decide a little shot of Nyquil or something similar at bedtime will do you good since you are getting a cold--oops, you have now added a lot more Tylenol and you have overdosed accidentally. I doubt if the actual toxicity of Tylenol has changed such that one day 4000 mg a day was safe and the next day it wasnt, but so many people have done what I just gave as an example that reportedly the LEADING cause of acute liver failure in this country is no longer hepatitis, its Tylenol overdose. (I italicized the word failure because failure is what happens, not just "damage". Not just a little elevation of your liver enzymes. Failure.) This is why the FDA has changed recommended max dosage, to reduce the number of accidental overdoses.

Josephine is on the other side of the pond and she's not bound by what the FDA recommends. She's giving us credit for having the brains to do the math and not overdose. IIRC, she feels, with some justification based on my experience, that tylenol works best at the extra strength dosing--but that's 1000 mg when you take two. Many people will figure that THREE 500 mg will work faster or better and they will gobble that many every few hours. So the FDA is concerned and has proposed limiting OTC Tylenol to the 325 mg strength, eliminating it from combinations with prescription drugs, leaving it out of OTC cold preparations and so forth.

Bottom line, please be careful even with "safe" medicines that you can buy without a prescription. You'll be just as dead overdosing on Tylenol as overdosing on anything else you can think of.

I will add that its REALLY easy to forget whether you missed a dose of meds and take too many that way. Alcohol and Tylenol together give your liver a one-two punch that it might not bounce back from. Yes, the liver has an amazing capacity to regenerate--until it doesnt.

I have seen people die from liver failure--its not pretty.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jeano As always Jeanster , great advice. I was thinking the same thing. I really , really like breathing. Overdosing was a concern for my GF when my OS sent me home with enough meds to kill 2 gorillas .After 4 days of pretty much laying in bed ,drooling on my self , GF got mad at me and said "no more oxys ". I immediately yelled back "doctors orders". "im following the mantras". Well , that was the last time I took oxys. Now my GF Is a unique figure,5ft 9in blonde hair , german and probably the strongest woman ive ever met. On occasions would tackle me on our walks for clowning around too much . And im 6ft 3 and now 240. (LOST 15 LBS). My disadvantage was my knee and she knew it, so like the meanie that she was , she would aim at me knee. Can you picture this ? 2 Adults play wrestling on grass during our nightly walks.Hence my reason to finally get my knee replaced. I do have this GIANT bottle of Tylenol from Costco. I will proceed with caution . In fact I wont take more than 3000mgs per day . Thats 6 tablets . 2 pills a pop , 3 times a day . Thanks for the info .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom