THR I made it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is too soon for you to be waking without an aid if you are limping. You should add the cane and regroup. Walk VERY slowly, heel first and roll to toe, concentrating on your gait. If you stop looking at how FAR you're walking and concentrate on the quality of each step, you'll quit that limp much quicker. Just give it a try. Same with me. Patience.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Beachgal...really working on the heel and toe roll. I am still using the cane when outside. Trying to work on the limp. You are so right about concentrate on the quality of each step.
 
What the heck is about Tuesday.... Fighting a little depression today. I think I am tired of being in. I want to sleep normal, sit normal, walk normal.
I walked the street this morning before it got too hot. I took my cane to work on my form. I am amazed at how exhausting this is. I am used to walking five miles a day....just modified when pain was real bad.

Anyway....enough on my complaints. I decided I needed motivation this morning. I went into the library section here , amazing hip recoveries. I just watched the Mary Lou Retten's video. I had no idea! Watching the pain in her face pre op, smacked with reality. To watch her progress and hard work was inspiring.
I am going to work on this Blue Tuesday thing!
Thinking of you all...pre op or post op. We are strong hipsters!
 
@Medfordart, the depression you feel (the "blues") is very real. There were times I'd sit and long for the days when I was much younger and hip issues were not even a thought in my head. Gradually, I'd play back fun times and vacations through the years from then until maybe five years ago when my hip started giving me trouble. I realized as I got closer to the present day, how valuable my THR was and what an important role it will play in the accumulation of more good times and vacation memories in the future. That's what I call "making peace with my THR". When I looked at it that way, I realized what a friend this new hip has become, my ticket to all the things that will make my future brighter, happier, more active. It's not a bad thing. Facing the fact that my old hip was no good, that I have a new one now that works so well, I quit grieving what I'd lost and became so thankful for what replaced it. It takes time. Be kind to yourself. The steps, both literally and figuratively, are more important than the distance.
 
Glad you are doing so well. I'm starting to use the cane more this week but do not want to mess anything up at this point.
 
Hi @Medfordart
I wanted to reply to a post you made recently and I can't find it! So, I am coming to your recovery thread.
So, you have family coming in, I think that is wonderful! And the grands are the perfect medicine.
I bet I get the same hip that you have.
Hoping today is a good day for you and there is another weekend fast approaching. Hey! Today is 2 weeks for you, Happy anniversary! :flwrysmile:
 
Yes..I am sure you will be getting the same. We both are fortunate where we live and the quality of our OS practices. My next door neighbor went to Rothmann last winter...she is back running.
 
Thanks for the reminder...2 weeks with the new right hip. Yes, I still get frustrated because I want to snap my fingers and be as good as I was before hip problems...but I am really progressing! I now do not use a cane...unless I am outside walking...or whenever I finally will get to go somewhere. That is for protection mode and also to work on my proper walking form.
Each day I see improvement. My husband said my limp gets less and less. I am go glad to be where I am.
Before the summer is over, I want to sit out on a warm summer night, listen to a good band and have a cocktail..... I will make it..maybe not this week.
 
wow,, she is back running?? I wonder which Dr she used? I feel confident in my choice and decision but I must confess I have thoughts on how I should go to your Dr. and facility. I hear it is top notch also.
And you are walking without a cane in 2 weeks time.. that is really amazing. I was thinking about that crunch pop feeling we get when taxing the arthritic joint. I bet you walk at times and kind of expect to feel it, but then realize it's gone for good..
Your warm summer night goal is a wonderful one. Soon, Medford... soon!
 
I had to wait two months to get my first appointment...then surgery waiting 2 months.
I will ask her when I see her..probably your doctor. He seems to be the hip man. I really don't think she should be running...only in her 50's. My girlfriend who had her done by my doctor ,Dr. Jain ,was told...no more running, or she would be back in five years.
 
I've heard that, too. that running is one of the things on "no-no list"
But, it's something that she feels good enough to do it.
Your wait sounds like my wait. I had no idea that it would take that long.
 
i am in so much pain and its day 3 and Im in terrible pain! Cant get comfortabel! I dont know what to do! Im miserable! Thanks for letting me vent!
 
Oh no! Maybe a call to your OS for a different medicine cocktail? I'm so sorry, hugs to you.
 
I hit the wall about day 3 Gialynn. Take your meds...it does get better. I am improving every day. Sleep is awful, but improving. Remember to rest, elevate, ice and meds. Don't push. Thinking of you!
 
@Medfordart, I'll join you at the end of the summer for the music and cocktail, if only from afar! What a great goal to have! :martini:

@gialynn, UGH! Day 3 sucks. Sorry, but the good news is you only have one "Day 3" so try to chill and get as comfy as possible...keep icing and drinking your water, so important on both counts...:eeeuw:

Virtual hug to both of you, and to @CricketHip, as she gets ready to join us permanently on the other side!! :yahoo:
 
That would be fun Beachgal! Must admit I enjoyed company last night and sat out on my front porch and had a cocktail. I didn't realize how much I would enjoy company. This friend had bilateral in October, is an RN and is who recommended my OS. Great night comparing notes.
 
I hope you can get comfortable soon. I think day 3 is the worse. You're mentally and physically becoming aware of what your body just went through. It is frustrating not being able to move, sleep, do things for yourself. You have to process all this. I promise it gets better everyday. You'll look back a week from now and see how far you've come.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom