Guest viewing is limited

THR I made it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks apeach... I'm feeling silly, cos I haven't had the op yet, am on the wrong side:heehee:...I think I am..oops op next Thursday ...glad of your thoughts and prayers though
 
Son, daughter-in-law and 4 grandchildren coming late today.
At only 6 days out you might want to limit visits. They sap your energy that is much needed for this recovery. Plenty of time later when you are feeling more confident.
I have basically rested all day.
This is ALL you should be doing at this stage. Please go back and read the article I left. There is no need for heroics!
 
I had terrible nausea. The thing that works for me is a sea sickness patch. I had one put on before surgery and once it was off three days later, the nausea returned. I had it prescribed again and worked so much better than compozine. I hope this helps.
 
Just in case it helps this is what my current day schedule looks like & will mostly look like for the next week or so -

Meds - dead on time, no messing, no excuses & anti sickness even if not feeling that way, the philosophy being why even get to the point of feeling sick. The big thing that did it for me was looking at the pain curves that someone posted a link to (might have been @Josephine ) and seeing how long it takes to kick in if you delay by even 10mins.

Sleep - overnight I was managing 2 hours at a time between waking up & then it was a drink of some form, a quick wee and back to bed. Daytime, between 8am and 8pm today I've only been awake for about 3-4 hours, the rest of the time I've been asleep or dozing.

Outside of that all I've done is the PT, food, a bit of reading and my wife & stepdaughter visited.

I can understand the stress and challenges of everything around you but this really has to be time for you and you alone, everyone and everything else has to fit round the edges whether they like it or not. A tough line I know, but you And your shiny new hip need it.

Take care & enjoy the "rest"
 
Hi @Kocob
What is in the sea sick patch? I need something different if there is a next time, my nausea was horrible and the usual meds did not help! Thanks.
 
Andy...I am so happy to hear from you...you sound great!
My depression is OVER! I really started making progress yesterday. I still get completely worn out..but improvement is starting. Today marks one week. I have been on the cane most of the day instead of the Walker. Getting in and out of bed is improving.
I have physical therapy in the morning. He already said to take a pain pill before I go...... Working on those exercises. I was going to go downstairs, but my husband had things on the steps so I put it off until later. That poor man is exhausted! Thanks for all of the support!
 
Daytime, between 8am and 8pm today I've only been awake for about 3-4 hours, the rest of the time I've been asleep or dozing.

That was one of the wonderful things post op. Giving myself permission to sleep ... and sleep ..... I then felt rushed and busy as I had "so much to do" like go to the bathroom, worry about bowel movements and come back again. It is all a weird and wonderful experience

@Medfordart hope your time with your relative went okay. I found I did not want any visitors for a few weeks. I think you are brave. I needed to be me whether that me was sleepy, lazy, trying out new tasks etc. I love having grandchild (4) around. When I explained to him that I could not kneel on the floor because of my leg he said sternly "I think you should go to the doctors" He has seen my foot in plaster recently and said " when I grow up I am going to have a broken foot every day so I can have a plaster cast too"!

I am sure you will get back to being the active granny soon and what a pleasure it will be x
 
@Medfordart always happy to help in any way I can and its really great news to hear you've turned a corner and you are making progress again, the transition to stick from walker sounds like a big step forward. It sounds like you are doing the same as me, hitting the pain meds before PT, I'm sure I found that tip on this site:)

As for the bits on the stairs, are you sure that's not just a tactical move on his part to try and get you to rest more? I'm pretty sure my wife will try such tactics if I get a more impatient patient than normal :)

And congrats on completing week 1.
 
Haha... Probably Andy! That man is exhausted. Heating up food people have brought over is a lot!
My PT told me to take a pill before. My foot is going in so he has to loosen it up...I was pretty up tight on Tuesday.
Today was our anniversary. Last year he was recovering from meniscus repair.and my hips were acting up. We went and had PRP (Plasma Rich Platlet) injection...him in the knee, me the left hip. ( That one has to be replaced soon). I think next year we should fly to Paris or something.
He is going on a 10 day bike trip the end of August. He is going to Germany. He will be glad to be biking!
The visit with my son, daughter-in-law and four of my grandchildren went well. They were on vacation last week. When my surgery got moved up, I didn't want them to know because I didn't want it to ruin their plans. When I had surgery once before, I couldn't get my son to leave the hospital. He would have been like that this time also.
The kids were needing to see that I was ok. I let them play with the Walker, my cane and reacher. I told them I would outrun them next summer. They said no you won't MeeMee.
 
glad to hear that the family visit helped! gotta love those grands! It seems that 6-7 days is a big turn around time.. I will chant that over and over to myself in recovery.
 
Hi @Medfordart so glad that your family visit went well and you enjoyed seeing them.It sounds like you are starting to feel better and that your recovery is well on its way.
 
@copsham It is a transdermal scopolamine patch you put behind your ear and it last for 72hours and can be reapplied. My last 3 surgeries I have had it before surgery and kept it on for 3 days and I didn't get the dreaded nausea from anesthesia. This time I had really bad nausea from pain meds so I asked for more patches since compazine was not working. Worked so much better. The side effect is dry mouth but I rather be horse than sick. Hope that helps.
 
Wow thanks for that info - definitely worth a try - I am terrible with sickness after anaesthetics.
 
Hi @Medfordart
Hope you are thriving.
I did as you have done stopped the heavy meds within a few hours of getting home. I found the nausea worse than the level of pain. I found that paracetamol/tylenol used consistently was really helpful as I went on the rollercoaster of recovery.

Are you able to rest? Enjoying the tears even? it is a weird and wonderful experience and you must plan a lovely trip for your next years anniversary!
 
Hi everyone! I am 1 1/2 week out from surgery. I know that I am doing really well. I am walking without any aids...but with a limp.
I had my PT today. He said to walk everywhere in the house without the cane, but to walk with it outside. The limp is not as bad with the cane. It helps to have the cane model a better way of walking...but gain strength inside. I was going to walk to the end of my street today when I got home. I was only able to sleep about 2 - 3 hours last night and PT had really worn me out. My husband said he was going to wait on the front porch in case I needed him. I only made it half way....guess I am not as strong as I thought...haha. I did make it back without the hubby's help.
I am getting really tired of being home...just don't have my strength back. I also can't find a comfortable area to sit for more than 15 minutes. Trying to sleep....ugh...I am a side and tummy sleeper....ugh. I usually do better than I did last night.
I have been really constipated. I am now down to one pain pill before PT....I hope staying off of the pain pills will help make me more normal.
Keep in touch...hope your journey is going well. It is amazing that the old pain is gone!!!
 
Hi @Medfordart
I miss read the first line of your post thought it said 11 weeks out from surgery. I thought time is really going quickly! You are doing really well for 12 days post op - well done. The strength really does come back it took me a while but when it does come back it is wonderful - warm vibes from London to New Jersey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom