THR I made it to the other side. My recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Was_86

So seems like you are having one of those post op crappy days filled with frustration...When I get those I close my eyes and go back to exactly one week prior and realize that I really have come leaps and bounds since I got home. Then I think about one week from today and realize I will be even farther in my recovery. I gave myself a total of 3 months from surgery, recovery and back to training in the gym. I am on track and I find it helps to set future goals...incentives!

Cheryl
 
It is the little forward progressing milestones that we often don't notice that are the ones to reflect on - add them all up and suddenly one realizes how far you have progressed with your recovery - best wishes :)
 
Are you keeping a journal? It is totally amazing to be able to look back a few days or a week and see written evidence of how far you've come. Interestingly, months later I didn't remember having experienced much of the stuff I wrote notes about! By Christmas you will be wondering what all the fuss was about, and then we will come along and tell you "just wait till six , or nine, or twelve months!"


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
You have come a long way. I too had to lift my leg when getting in and out of bed and no longer have too. That is a win. Celebrate it. You are walking .6 miles is huge. Celebrate it. I am walking on my street and each day I work on getting one house further away. I am at 4 houses. Tomorrow will be 5 I hope. You are doing so great. Yesterday my dad and I decided to go out and get a bite to eat. I am 48 most people mistake my age for mid 30s. Imagine all the stares I got walking in with a walker. It cracks me up how people are trying to figure it out. We are slow but in 12 months we will be better than ever and doing circles around our friends. @Was_86 you are doing fabulous. Keep it up.
 
Hope everyone is well. Good news to share. First is I have been cleared of cane. I can walk normally. I still use my cane when walking outside. It helps me with my grit plus noticed people are very friendly when They see me with a cane. I am not going to complain. Tomorrow is going to be exactly 2 weeks since I came home from the hospital. It's also my home therapy session. I disliked my therapist a lot glad that chapter is ending. I am taking over 3500 steps everyday. I was doing over 10000 steps prior to my surgery. I am hoping by november I will reach close to 6000 steps. I am also dying for outpatient therapy. Just looking for a beating.

I also found out the cause of my AVN. My parents both have arthritis and I mentioned earlier about 7 years ago. I had two brain tumor surgeries. I was in Life support for over 3 weeks. During that time I was given very dosage of steriods. That sped up the process.

I have two questions for moderators. One is I still get tired after a walk. I need to take a break to catch a breather. Also my thigh, outter part right above my knee has been troublesome. It stings, the muscles is tender. Since coming back that part has given me the most problem. Nothing helps. I don't take any painkillers. Any idea when that will stop? Good news @zauberflöte I am making progress everyday in regards to the speed. I am no longer walking like a snail. I have zero range of motion. As of now. That's a different story
 
One is I still get tired after a walk.
Yup, this drives me crazy! It's Energy drain for THRs. It will pass but for now, rest when you can. Pretty soon the rest times will get shorter and shorter.
Also my thigh, outter part right above my knee has been troublesome.
They twist and turn your leg/knee to get the hip joint dislocated during surgery. I had a major bruise post op in just that area and the pain in my knee was pretty bad just post op. Tylenol may help ease this but if you insist on no pain meds, try icing that area often - especially after your walks.
 
@Was_86

I was wondering about the energy drain as well. We are about the same surgery time and I still rest a lot. I was chalking it up to the fact for the first month or so I had such broken sleep....
 
Phew, So glad I'm not the only one with a sore thigh/knee!! I had a huge bruise on my calf that didn't come out for a few days (so I had myself convinced it was an embolism, lol), realized it was from the clamp/manhandling during surgery. My knee was so bad straight after surgery I was struggling to put weight on my leg, it's still sore. though better, and I had started making the "better go and get it checked out" noises... I never thought about the manipulation causing it... it's great to see that it's a common complaint, now I won't worry about it :-)
 
So glad I'm not the only one with a sore thigh/knee!!
I still have the remains of a bruise and some soreness on the side of my knee at times. Ice, ice and more ice. We get a bit man handled during the procedure. Lots of soft tissues complaining.
 
I too have the sore outer thigh / knee. I thought it was just because my IT band was so horribly painful prior to surgery. Glad to know others have this too.

@Was_86 you are moving right along. Great to hear.
 
@CanukTriMom @xtrina16405 I still think I am behind the recovery stage. I am done with home therapy and I can walk without a cane. The PT place is booked. I am not starting outpatient therapy until next tuesday. It's basically one week without any real exercises. I am starting work mid november. This is temporary. Only place that offers aquatic therapy. After that switching to somewhere near my work. I have a personal trainer. I will schedule a session in between that at least get upper body workout done. My thing is back to normal. It still hurts where the incision is located. That won't go away for 6 weeks as per doctor. I am very eager to see what my new hip can do. I basically have no range of motion after my surgery. I can put on socks but again nothing where I expected.
 
I forgot energy drain. I just finished my PT session. She said it will improve over time. I agree, I am not burned out.
 
Hello Everyone,

It's been 20 days till my hip replacement. Can't believe it. Time passes very quickly. My recovery is going as planned. I mentioned last week I graduated from a walker. Last two days, I have been walking little over 2.9 miles each day. Weather has been very beautiful here in NYC. Before my surgery I was averaging about 4.5 miles per day. I am not going to complain. I am very happy about it. Also today was a big accomplishment for me. I sat on a yoga pose today. I am a yogaholic and I have been practicing last week on my own. Muscle soreness around the groin is decreasing!!!! . I can put weight. @CanukTriMom @gazelle7777 @xtrina16405 @kcmocook @Jaycey Hope all your recovery is going well according to plan. My only tiny problem. My outpatient therapy is very aggressive. My place is packed, I guess they are good. They have me scheduled for 7 am PT session. I am not a morning person. I only went to one, session but not a big fan. They don't believe in stretching. My whole body is stiff because lack of movement. From day one all the exercises were to strength the muscle. I have no problems with it. I used to go to bootcamp once a week prior to my surgery. I have no problem someone screaming or shoving things down my throat but timing is bad. I am going to there next week. 7 am session are tough!!! But if I don't like it I am switching my Therapist. She also said after my session there is no limitation when it comes to exercise on my own. Use common sense, if something you feel is not right don't do it. Let's see how next week goes. I am going to get a proper massage soon. I think I deserve it. My last questions is for all the ladies. It's pretty embarrassing but here it goes. They shaved my thigh and some portion of my chest. Any idea how long it takes to fill up? .

@Jaycey thank you again for bonesmart. This site is a blessing. Prior to my surgery I went through the archive and went over others experience regarding the surgery. It made my recovery so much easier. Plus getting moral boost helps as well. I noticed you're from England. I have family in East Croydon. I usually visit every other year. I love the place. Mark's and Spencer, their teas are amazing and scottish biscuits are worth the plane tickets. As an american, I always get embarrass when it comes to english. We americans speak the basic and most simplest english while in UK it's more complex. I don't know how you guys drive over there.
 
@Was_86......sounds like you are doing great! :wow: I am on day 28 and like you, feeling well. No yoga poses....still have my right hip to deal with and do not want to stress it out. I think the PT can be useful....I do stretches I never would do on my own. keep up the good work and I will follow your thread in the following weeks ahead! Joan:SUNsmile:​
 
So glad things are going well for you @Was_86 !
Also today was a big accomplishment for me. I sat on a yoga pose today.
Please be very careful about this so early out. There is still a chance of dislocation. Don't put any stress on your hip until you are cleared by your surgeon. On the positive side, at least you know there is life after this recovery!
My outpatient therapy is very aggressive.
They have me scheduled for 7 am PT session.
They don't believe in stretching.
I have to agree with you - I would give this a miss. Especially the issue of no stretching. Surely stretching before doing any "aggressive" PT is the safe way to get muscles working again.
They shaved my thigh and some portion of my chest. Any idea how long it takes to fill up?
Shouldn't take too long. Must be driving you mad in the meantime.
thank you again for bonesmart. This site is a blessing.
So glad this site helps you! It is a labour of love for all of us working on BoneSmart. Having been through the journey ourselves we do know the value of research and support.

Yes, I am in England but born and raised in Northern California. I still have a strong American accent, but people tell me I have toned it down a bit. Imagine my struggle to learn to drive here - had to take driving lessons before I had the confidence to get on the road by myself! :rolleyes:
 
Little update. It's been exactly one week sLittle update. It's been exactly one week since I started Outpatient therapy and things are going great. I guess having a positive attitude and being young with bust of energy helps. My therapy thinks I am a machine lol. I keep asking what's next. My new hip feels great. I have no problems turning my hip outward. It moves so smoothly.

I need advice regarding a couple of things. Holy **** my outer thigh right next to the incision is still sore and bruised. I have to ice after my PT. Is it normal? Everything else is controllable except the outer part. I can't turn my hip inward. Muscle are stiff and tight. I am kinda upset about it. I have become lazy since my surgery. Plus super bored being home. I want to return to work ASAP but can't because Dr won't clear me. Minimum 6 weeks is the waiting period. Sigh.

@kcmocook I haven't seen any posting from you in a while. Hope your recovery is going well.
 
Holy mess my outer thigh right next to the incision is still sore and bruised.
Ice, ice and more ice. Still early days. Muscles and soft tissue still healing. Help them out with lots of ice.
Muscle are stiff and tight.
They probably atrophied a bit pre-op. Then muscles were traumatised by the surgery. It takes time for this stiffness to ease. You'll get there - but a bit of patience is prescribed.
 
@Jaycey thanks. I need to go back sleeping with my ice bag. They worked magic first couple of nights when I got home. I am also getting a full body massage next week. I have never got a hot stone massage but a wonderful lady at my PT convinced me today. Hopefully that will my stiffness. Enjoy your weekend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom