THR I made it to the other side. My recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little bad news. My heartbeat is not normal. It's beating very fast. They will need to CT scan of my chest. I am staying another night not related

Just a "heads up"...the percocet they were giving me in the hospital caused some heartbeat issues for me. Don't be surprised if it turns up that you're having a reaction to one of your meds...unless you have a history of heart junk which I'm sure would have showed up in your pre-op labwork. No worry...you're in the best place possible to find out!
 
@Jaycey I assumed this just a simple surgery. After one week life is back to normal. My heart beats quite fast. The dr at the hospital was worried. Good news my surgeon just dropped by he said I am going home today!!!!! Can't wait.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side. My recovery thread.
Glad to hear all is well and that you're going home! Best place in the world to recover. Take care and keep us posted. We care (and we're also a bit nosey:heehee:).
 
I am getting discharge today guys. Nurse dropped off all the pills painkillers, constipation and lovonox. Lovely for next a RN, PT and OT will visit my house 5 times a week for 4 hours. I think I am in good hand. Just finishing up my dinner and 7 pm is my discharge.
 
This is great. Congratulations. It will be all downhill/easier from here. A lot of PT, and also a lot of sleeping -- get your sleep! -- but still, you will feel like a new person within weeks, and your life will change!

Mark
 
Oops....I see you haven't yet received our basic recovery articles so that you can understand more about what is to come. Please read these links and take the information on board. This is NOT some simple surgery. It's major and you will be in various stages of recovery for a while yet. Don't hesitate to ask any questions that come up.

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Glad you are on the way home! Probably there now!
Get some sleep........


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Gentle reminder @Was_86 - you are discharged to recover, not discharged recovered. Lots of healing to do!
 
Thanks everyone. My body feels tired. My nurse is coming soon hopefully she gives me a wash and we go for a walk. Pain is little down and so is the swelling too. You guys were all right this takes a lot of energy. I accidentally skipped my painkiller by two hours last night. I felt the real pain. Let's see how it goes today with my nurse.
 
@Was_86 read this thread Energy drain for THRs . I am going through the same thing. But take heart - everyday brings improvement. Patience is the biggest issue for some.
 
The nurse will likely take your temperature, look over your leg for swelling etc, make sure you know how to give yourself lovonox, and that's about it. The PT will walk you around your place a bit, give you some small exercises to start, I would doubt they'll want you walking outside yet, but you are young, so it is possible. But maybe your outside services are different than mine, so your experience might vary.

When I had tTHR, both times, here was my schedule: Shower (but not until day 2 or 3 home), avoiding the bandage (until it was off, which was day 5 or 6). Breakfast. Lovonox. PT -- with or without the therapist. Some reading, emails, etc. Lunch. Then my serious painkiller, which put me to sleep, and I slept 3 hours every day. This schedule lasted for a few weeks, even as I got better. I never needed much painkiller, so the sleep after 2 weeks was without a painkiller. Do your body a favor and try to nap every day. I know you are young, but I found that the naps were the best thing I did.

Mark
 
@MarkK

Thanks for your feedback. I need to take shower badly. I hope the nurse helps getting in and out of the bathtub. I have another problem it seems like I have caught a rash/ I have multiple dots on my right arm. Doc said to use benodryl but its not helping. Can't wait for that to be fixed.
 
I assumed this just a simple surgery. After one week life is back to normal.
LOL! Where did you get that idea? It's a very major surgery however it's done. Once you start chopping bits of bone off things, it's MAJORLY major!
My body feels tired.
Did you read the articles Jamie left you? You really should. And Jaycey left you a second link to one of those articles. Essential reading, my friend.
 
@Was_86, you really need to realize that what you have been through is a big darn deal! Ooops, just the maternal part of me showing....sorry....:rotfl:

Seriously, you've got a lot of healing to do in the next few weeks and there is nothing you can "consciously" do to speed it up, except adhere to the "rest, ice, elevate, and take your pain meds" mantra preached here. Once you accept it as your new way of life for a while, your body will reward you with all the good things promised. Just be patient and let your body do what it needs to do!

PS Rash could be reaction to one or more meds...your nurse will know!
 
@beachgal @Jaycey @Josephine

You guys:banghead: Were right this surgery is a big deal and I have gone through all the Posting. I need to follow the recovery guidance ice, pain medication, and sleep. I feel like I have no energy at all. I feel tired
and cold. :sad::boohoo::boohoo::mcoffee::dead:. My insurance is great!!!! I have a maid who comes in with my daily chores washing my dishes, giving me a shower clean the house. My actual nurse will come in 30 min to check my incision and my itchiness and my temperatures. At 5 pm PT will come for my activities. All I want do is sleep. Anyway I am done for the day. Good news is I am able to do almost everything without my cane. I just feel tired.
 
Way to go using the cane! Careful and walk slowly and remember to turn in the direction of the cane when walking. The other way will cause pain and you aren't to pivot with your me hip.

Sounds like you are coming along!

Take care.

Cheryl
 
So glad you are home! I also was freezing for days after surgery, never knew why. Napped under a thick quilt on the couch and wore a sweater almost all the time for a couple weeks.

Glad you have read all the literature here! Very soon you'll be welcoming newbies and reassuring them :)

Rest
Ice ice ice
Elevate
Pain meds by the clock
You got it! :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Each day will get easier @Was_86 ! Don't fight the low energy. Sleep for now. So glad you have help through this!
 
First day at home was tough. It was an adjustment getting used to taking care of yourself alone. I spoke with my doctor I have an allergic reaction to either lovonex or oxycodone. Those pain killers Sucks!!!!! My pain right is less than what I experienced before my surgery. He prescribed me Prendosine for my gives. I feel much better today. The swelling has decreased. I have more flexibility on my thigh than previous couple of days. My PT comes in an hour. My maid is here. I am having her do my laundry. My mother is staying with me. I am usually self dependent. It hard asking for help. I am sick might as well get help for a speedy recovery. My nurse will come at 2 pm. I am going to have her change the bandage today. It's getting tight. Thanks guys for all your support. One last question I have I can seat on a toliet bowl without a raiser but my PT insist I get one. Also she said not to ice my incision more than an hour per each day. I am going to ignore that comment. My doc said ice it as much as possible. Anyway, I am out for now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom