THR I made it to the other side. My recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh @Was_86 you'll love the massage. I had a lovely massage on Thursday, hubby and I treat ourselves to a massage every week. Post op I've been having a neck massage and reflexology since week one, which was nice, but that whole laying on the bed warm oil thing on Thursday was :wow: I didn't feel ready to lay on the table face down for 50 minutes until this week, and hubby was concerned that I wouldn't be able to last and need help to get off the table and he'd have his massage interrupted! Not the case, I found it easy to get on the table even with my restrictions, and I relaxed so much that even the tendon or whatever in my groin that's been giving me grief since the surgery (when I have the leg flat) gave up and relaxed too! Be prepared; you may not feel the benefit straight away, but definitely the next day or so will see a difference in your stiffness.:yahoo:
I do think that time is the best healer for this op, and like @Jaycey says patience is required, but pleeeese can I have that patience NOW:rotfl:
 
@Was_86

Okay don't make me come over there and shake you!!! You are just going through a frustration plateau. You need the entire six weeks as your muscles have been through a major trauma. Icing after PT is quite smart whether it hurts or not...I do it as it helps in the muscles getting stronger. Your muscles are stiff and tight right now, don't think that is what you want to go back to work feeling. Your glut muscles are very tight and need continually stretching and PT to get back to where they need to be.

Now that is the Mom coming out in me! Make a goal two weeks from today of what you want to achieve and attach a reward to the goal. I find that if I have something to work towards, I focus on that goal and subsequent reward to get over the bumps in the recovery road!

Take care

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom lol. Thank You. I can't help it being an american and a native new yorker. We expect everything ready made. I took @Jaycey advice went back to sleeping with ice wrapped up.. It worked wonder. I am planning on doing the same for another week minimum. I have a bad habit which is I lack patience. Working on it. From day one I have told myself not to overdue anything and I haven't.

@craftdee thanks!!!!! I honestly never had a proper massage in my life. I have heard great things about it. I have booked two sessions. I found a great deal online. I seriously need pampering. My lower back and neck are stiff since surgery. I hope your recovery is going fine. It's kinda hard for me to relate. I guess being young helps. My body is responding quite well since my surgery. I am delighted with what I have seen so far.
 
@Was_86 - You can ask your PT to massage your leg muscles, mine does that. They will massage your IT band, abductor and adductor muscles. Ask your PT if they will do that or they could use the foam roller on you as well.
 
@toohip my PT is a tough cookie. It's more like a bootcamp to be honest. She usually stretches out my operate leg. Hips inward and outward. Followed by me stretching my entire body on my own. Followed by 75 minutes of non stop exercises. I don't like the place to be honest. I am going to switch it soon. I don't want to look like a quitter reason I am forcing myself to go there.
 
@Was_86

Yes, sleeping with ice will do the. Trick. In fact, I just put my cold therapy unit away today at 7.5 weeks post surgery. I am sure it will be used for a multitude of sprains, strains, and bumps for years to come. Also it will be very useful when training for Ironman races in the future....I have to take a year off of triathlon racing to let my implant settle in its new home but I can still bike and swim just not run.
 
Ladies,

Last couple of days have been horrible. I have switched my therapy. I wasn't getting enough attention. I am tired if having her assistant telling me what to do. I pay a reasonable money for my insurance and I deserves 100% attention. My doctor isn't happy with my recovery. Monday was leg press 4 sets of 25 did the wonder. It left me with both of thighs extremely bruised. I also found out that I had a lump on my thigh. I was experiencing extreme knee pain. I am basically massaging myself daily basis for my lump. She showed me how.

Good news to share followed by extreme painful story. Good news, my new PT is right next to my yoga studio. I have a motivation to show up. Here the painful part. Today on my way home. Some tourist slipped while I was in the subway and landed on my operate leg. He elbowed my thigh. It was an extremely painful event. He apologized but can't blame him. I basically double upped on my painkiller tonight hoping for relief. I hope rest helps . I have no other option to take it slow. As much I want to push myself being young and arrogant doesn't help. I need to listen to my body. That's the moral of my lesson.
 
Hi @Was_86 - Why is your doctor unhappy about your recovery? Please don't over do it!!!! Man, I hate the city, everyone's on top of one another!! too darn crowded!!!!
 
@toohip from day one I was recommend that I continue my recovery at a PT that's affliaated with NYU. I chose not to at beginning but after consulting with NP I have decided to change my therapy. Yesterday was the first time I rode the subway since my surgery. NYC is overcrowded. The weather was nice. Subways were packed. I was doing my best not to get hurt. :-)
 
Hi @Was_86 - Wow, it's 4 weeks since your surgery...it sounds though like you're doing well...what does your doc want to you to accomplish by your next visit? It's very difficult to stay away from crowds in NY, lol!!! How long are you taking for disibility?
 
@toohip I am working in financial industry. Sadly, I need to change my career or job. My doctor said before surgery after 6 week follow up I can return to work. That's his standard procedure. My work approved 12 weeks off. No way I am taking that long. Being honest if I was told I could go back to desk job tomorrow. It's weird being home. I am used to putting 10 hours at work daily basis. I see him on november 18th, first time after my surgery. I guess the xray will determined when I can return. He has been doing this for 30+ years. I don't mind crowded place. I am used to rush hour travelling. Hoping the, swelling is controlled by next week. I am looking into acupuncture for relief.
 
@Was_86

If you go on the subway again, take the cane as people tend to at least try to be careful around someone with a cane! Good luck with the new Physio, sounds like it will be a better situation!

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom

How is your recovery going by the way? It seems like in America dr are very aggressive in regards to returning back to work. I have read multiple threads where people have returned to work after 2 weeks!!!. It make sense in a way since you're not being paid. I am being 60% of my paycheck. I work in one of the biggest banks in the world. I guess it is what it is. Anyway I am home a lot. I have decided to visit Peru in late spring. Machu picchu here I come. Perfect way to test the new hip!!!! I am not a nature person, hoping there are guided buses tours. :-)​
 
Hope everyone is doing well. Tomorrow will be my 5 week anniversary. I have no pain, except minor swelling around incision area. PT is going well. I think I am regretting having my hip replaced. I have Avn on both hips. I could barely walk before my surgery. I regret having Avn. it's finally kicking in that I will need multiple hip replacement during my life times. Revision sounds complicated process. I am basically have to change my Exercise routine. I am going to stop with yoga and focus on strength training. I think that's the only option I have in regards to future surgeries. It's just depressing having to start from scratch again.

Thanks
 
Hi @Was_86 - Try not to think that way, you're doing great and have no more of that nasty pain...your hip and incision will feel better as the weeks go on. I sometimes regret NOT getting it done way sooner (like when i was 29 or in my 30's) but doc says the technology is better now anyway! Rest up and feel better!!!
 
If you are having no pain, why would you regret having the surgery? I am only 37 and am scheduled for left THR on wed. My surgeon keeps telling me how great it will be, and I wouldn't even say I am in terrible pain - just can't run anymore and some days it will just give out on me. My surgeon says the X-rays look awful, but I am having a hard time trusting him.
 
Revision is so far "more concerning" but the recovery seems the same to me, maybe longer than the first surgery, but I wouldn't know much about a normal first surgery. Stick with yoga, as when it comes to hips yoga is strength training, the flexibility/length/health of each of the a(b)ductor and stabilizer muscles etc. play a major role in how soon that revision is needed, sure its primarily based on the bone stability, but if the strong and felxible muscles hold it in place well, then the bone comes into less play. Look at what I've been through, and even with that I can honestly say, I do not regret deciding to get rid of the pain and try to lead a better life.
 
@toohip @cryinsham30 thanks guys. I went through the surgery knowing that this will give me relief and I don't regret that part. Having a perfectly good artificial hip and one with AVN feels different that's all. I keep hearing pop in my left hip and it doesn't want to move. More of anxiety when this will give up.

@allegra good luck with your surgery. Don't get me wrong. I sleep like a baby. Surgery was a blessing and grateful for my doctor. It's basically a brand new start and my wound still hasn't healed yet. As my PT said the best are still to be enjoyed. I am guaranteed to have another surgery for revision. My artificial hip will last 20-25 years. I hope and pray technology and surgery procedure will improve which means a shorter recovery time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom