THR I made it to the other side. My recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About showering: I used a hand shower attachment and just avoided the wound area.

About sleeping: I took oxycodone to sleep. Since you are allergic, how about something like valium? Or one of the many drugs which people use to sleep?

But it sounds like you are right on course. Keep up the good work.

Mark
 
@Was_86 great job on cane and stairs. I still have walker but use cane on stairs. I am one day behind you and graduated to stairs yesterday. I felt going up more difficult. Going down I have to be careful. I tend to go too fast. As for sleep, have you tried a sleep routine with tea. When I get insomnia, I will start 1/2 hour before bed and turn off tv dim lights read and enjoy a cup of sleepy time or tension tamer tea. It starts the relaxation. I also will use lavender or sleep lotion from bed bath and body. The smell helps relax the mind. I hope it helps. Great job on your recovery.
 
Great job brother, sorry I missed all the earlier threads, I kinda zoned out. My revision is now set for Nov. 3rd.

Now for some "man tips"

1. Learn what is comfortable for you when it comes to any adult activity, best to avoid for it for 8-10 weeks, but shrug, dunno your entire relationship status.

2. crying during/after PT especially when they go to "break up that hip capsule" is acceptable

3. When returning to the gym, start about 80% lower than your previous maxes, you will be amazed at how much those core muscles tie into the hip abductors/glut's espcially glut B. and when you strain any of them, the rest seem to go with 'em.

4. Enjoy your new swagger, just don't over do it, the muscles are recovering all over, the tiredness and such will go away. if you had a long stride before, you will again, just start out with a medium one.

5. if your pain seems abnormal, it is, let someone know, there is no "manning up" in this world, as my and many other cases prove, I was right for 3+ years and my doctors were wrong.

6. constipation can lead to very serious and very embarrasing issues, take a vegetable based laxative like cenecote, eat your prunes and appricots etc. V8 juice, ensure type products etc. also are great way to fill up without a bunch of dairy bloat or heavy foods. Me it just so happens I love tomato and cream of mushroom soup, so except for one embarrassing lesson, I was good to go.

Showering with incisions etc. get online and look for tegaderm, might be a little late to this party, but here ya go
https://www.amazon.com/Tegaderm-Transparent-Dressing-Label-1626W/dp/B000JJH3MU/?tag=ate362da-20


So glad your on the other side, safe and sound. best of luck.
 
@cryinsham30 Thanks bro for your advice. My adult activity was my biggest problem prior to my surgery. I was having quite difficulties. I had my surgery anterior way. My cut is exactly 4 inches in top of my thigh. No staples or stitches. My doc used glue to close my incision. It has dried completely. I had no limitation after my surgery. The bruise has gone down. It's managable. As much as I want to push myself I am holding myself back till I start outpatient therapy. I am looking for a beatdown. TRX and hydrotherapy and building my my core muscles are something I keep dreaming about. Other than everything seems like working according to plan. This surgery was a big energy drained. I get tired easily when walking. As of now trying I use a cane trying to built up the speed. Good luck with your surgery. I will definitely follow your thread. You have been a blessing or else I would over do it. Good luck.

@sub36 good luck deciding when you're ready for your surgery. I am not going to say its a walk in the park recovering. It's a challenge first couple of days but things get better each day. My suggestion would be have your surgery whatever way you feel comfortable and pick a great surgeon. Don't suffer
 
crying during/after PT especially when they go to "break up that hip capsule" is acceptable
Sorry, but no pain during PT is acceptable and there is no "breaking up of the hip capsule". If PT hurts, tell them to stop.

@Was_86 Focus more on your gait and walking correctly. The speed will develop on its own once any swell or soft tissue trauma is resolved. Pushing yourself will only set you back and drain more energy.
 
@Was_86

I hear ya about that TRX....a mainstay in my triathlon training! My surgery was also anterior but stapled shut! The scar is 3 inches long. Now given my athletic background you would think I would be bouncing back...hey this surgery knocked the stuffing out of me as well. It is a month today and I just graduated to a cane...I was fine with that as there is only one chance to get the correct! I won't be back to the pool until cleared at 6 weeks. Go slow mt friend as you have years to go to the gym!

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom congratulations on your cane. Trust me getting their is the hardest part. Things get easier after that trust me. I am ready to start OT next week. I will soon start Hydroworx therapy. Youtube or google it. I believe it will benefit your recovery as well. Trx is part of therapy sessions. I am not doing Anything alone!!!! That's something I have learned since joining this site. Therapists are licensed and they get paid to help others recover. Sports medicine hoping that improves my ROM and overall quality of life. Good luck and I have followed your thread. I believe you went ahead of me. Outpatient therapy is a whole new game. :cool:
 
@Jaycey only time I am crying is when my PT tells me you have gotten all your exercises in. I have suffered through groin pains prior to my surgery and have no intention of suffering through any pains by choice. :angel::yahoo:
 
@Was_86

I am very lucky as my PT is part of GPs group and everyone is working in Sports medicine. Also my PT is an American and canadian champion in Cyclocross but is retired. We have a gym far across town called liquid gym which has underwater treadmills and bikes but I cannot drive to get there yet

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom

Don't stress. You're using cane now trust me. The worst days are behind you. The thigh will start loosen up everyday. Ice, ice and ice. My tip and all the exercises that PT showed you. This time next week you will probably be starting OT as well. I am planning on starting monday the earliest. Natural instinct will kick in, competitive inside all of us come naturally once they introduced something more challenging. It's just law of nature. Be active and walk with your cane.

Good luck
 
Hi Guys,

I am feeling little down today. I guess I will vent over here. Good news, I graduated from a cane today. My PT said cane isn't needed at home. Only when I am outside I need to walk with my cane. My walking pace has picked up from yesterday. I started doing lateral movement today. My PT is hoping to start to some cone training on monday. Wednesday is my home PT and my cleaning aide last day. I am not going to lie. I will miss my maid, my apartment is sparkling clean. Now the bad news. I get tired after a walk. Walking outside is a challenge. Sidewalks has crater. My other biggest problem is when I see people my age who are healthy or anyone in general who walks normal pace. I start feeling down :sigh::sad::cry::shrug:. I know I should be grateful for my surgeon and the pace of my recovery but being a male and 28 hits the pride. Any advices would be grateful. Also, since finding out in September that I need a hip replacement. I have decided not to shave again till I am cleared by my doctor. Well it's been over six weeks and I have a bush in my face. Cane, beard and walking like a penguin doesn't go together.

Thanks for reading my comment.
 
Shave the beard man. It is bad karma. Seriously, you are doing so well, enjoy every day. I thank my lucky stars that I am alive in 2014, not 1914 or 1814, where I would be unable to walk. And in a place where this surgery is pretty standard. And in a city where I could select an exception surgeon. And you are only 28 years old. You have most of your years ahead of you. Have a party, life is good!!!!
 
Hi @Was_86 - I also felt that way around the 2nd week, it gets better, promise!! You just got to give it a little time...also you're in NYC, as I say, it's tough to live there healthy, nevermind going thru THR!!!!! I am about 8 weeks out from my surgery and am feeling really confident and i'm about double your age...you will start feeling better around the 3rd-4th week and probably really good by 6-7 week...every recovery is different...if you're body needs afternoon nap still...don't fight it!!! Don't get down on yourself, everyone has their battles and yours are the hip!! Like MarkK says be happy that your hip can be corrected, just give it a bit of time!!!
 
Oh @Was_86 you are too funny! I know you are miserable right now but your last lines about the bush on your face slayed me-- I laughed out loud!
The tiredness just goes with the territory, and one day soon you will realize you are not so tired any more. Rest, nap, whatever-- if you indulge your hip now, it will reward you a thousand times over later. :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@Was_86 read your recovery and see how far you have progressed. I am only one day behind you with the surgery. I still use a walker. I haven't graduated to a cane. That is your youthfulness taking over. I am sure you walk further outside each day. Celebrate the small wins. Is it easier to get up from a chair or even your bed? Can you sleep or lay on your sides? How is your pain? Are you taking less pain med? Is it easier to move around in the house? No cane in the house is huge. The cane outside is just to protect you because it is uneven surface and you don't want you to fall and ruin what your awesome surgeon corrected. You are doing AWESOME!!! You have made great strides. See the small victories daily and celebrate them.
 
It is difficult to express to anyone that has not been through it/similar experience how much energy pain etc. takes from you, it is also perfectly normal to become slightly depressed during recovery. It is like all of a sudden your no longer part of a society you spent your adult life molding into. Use this time as an opportunity instead of a hindrance, you have a physical and mental excuse to actually slow down and examine your life, is the rat race your pursuing worth it? is that move to Austin to be closer to friends/family a better choice for you than fighting for a promotion in your current career? Does this beard make me look fat? all important questions that you generally ignore in your daily life, because your too busy trying to live your daily life to ask them, much less answer with any level of certainty.

Right now you feel like you have lost Alot, because you have not started gaining anything from the new hip, Your house ridden and lethargic and this one body part consumes every moment of your day. Soon, this changes and you will start to step into the sunshine again if not literally because of fall/winter coming, but emotionally you will turn a corner and start thinking about things other than the hip, I have tried explaining to my friends why an icy driveway to me is different than it is to them, to them and past me it was a chance to make an butt of myself and slide/skit etc. now I am like an 80yr old Jewish woman and avoid things out of fear of pain as much as from the pain itself.

Now, you know you, and I don't know you, I have seen in my time working through the military disability system, how often a simple normal post injury depression can turn, in almost every instance, the person knew it of themselves yet it took friends to push them to get help, if you reach a point were you feel its past a normal "duldrum" or there are more dark days then good, there is zero and I mean zero shame in seeking help, it is perfectly acceptable and would not be "abnormal" for a counselor type professional to deal with the situation.
 
My other biggest problem is when I see people my age who are healthy or anyone in general who walks normal pace. I start feeling down
Doesn't matter what age you are - all of us healing hippies are feeling exactly the same @Was_86 . Just the frustration of moving at a snail's pace really gets to me! But you are still early days out. Just keep moving. The stiffness will ease.

I really don't agree with your PT regarding the cane. If you feel confident - then yes the cane is not needed. But if there is any hint of a limp - keep the cane. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again. Not sure why your PT is in a rush. Any do push back if any of the exercises are making you sore or stiff. This is about building up your strength - not wearing you down.

If it helps - I walked .6mile yesterday and was wiped out all afternoon. Energy drain is a major roadblock in this recovery. Don't fight it - just keep at it. This too shall pass - I promise!
 
@Was_86

You get one chance to get this new gait correctly....keep that cane for the outside until your gait is exactly symmetrical.

Cheryl
 
@MarkK @toohip @cryinsham30 @zauberflöte thank you. This surgery has made me realized enjoy little things in life. My body is used to putting so many long hours. Resting at home recovering is something New to me. It makes you realize there is more to life than working 10+ hours each day and get wasted over the weekends.

@Jaycey @CanukTriMom I still limp when I walk. My cane helps me with that. I am not giving up my cane until it's completely gone. Walking like a snail sucks but everyday the speed is increasing. Walking like a snail sucks big time!!!! I am doing about .6 mile walking everyday for last 3-4 days. I am hoping to pass the mile over the weekend. Starting tuesday. Home therapy will come till wednesday but after that she doesn't get paid. She will stop.
 
@xtrina16405 You're right youth is on my side. My recovery is going ahead of schedule. I had my surgery anterior way. My surgeon beforehand told I would start OT in two weeks from my surgery. I am progressing as planned, I guess. I had no limitation after my surgery. First couple of days I was using a bed sheet to raise my leg from BED. Mind that I had no staples or stitches in my leg. The swelling in my thigh has completely vanished. It still swallowen where the incision is and around my groin area. My thigh is just sore. I had problem with oxycodone, allergic reaction. I started taking tylonel 1000mg three times daily after 5th day of my surgery. Last 36 hours I haven't taken any pain medication. The pain is controllable. I am able to sleep on my operate side. It feels great sleeping on that side. I have problem sleeping on my non operate side. Turning to my back is a challenge. Best advice I can give is do those heel slide that my PT showed me at the hospital. Once you get hang of those everything else gets easy. Also ice and elevate that helped me a lot as well. My only problem is glue is dried where my incision is. I am afraid to scrub around the area. I am hoping taking shower everyday will eventually take the glue off.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom