THR I made it to the other side. My recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
- The first day is the hardest, then the first week is hard, then the first month, but each step is easier. After a while you will be well.

- Get the help, you need it. I had a bit of the same issue, but have your mother do what she can for you, you need to rest and heal!

- About the PT and the riser: I never used a toilet bowl riser either time and did not need it. I have no idea what the PT is thinking. If you got the same instructions I did, I had no restrictions, and the toilet was a perfect height for me to be comfortable. Tell the PT that you are comfortable. Any PT who would demand that is very out of touch in my opinion.

- Obviously you want to ice as much as you can. PT is not in touch. Both the good doctor, the PA and all of my PTs told me to ice ice ice.

Mark
 
@Was_86 I am not using a riser seat this time. PT in the hospital said my toilet was the height of a normal chair and I have no problem.

Ice as much as as often as you can. Not just the incision, but your thigh and behind the knee. Ice is a natural pain killer and reducing that swelling is key to increasing mobility.
 
I have swelling just over the incision... it looks and feels like a goose egg. Is this what most of you had at day 11?
 
@gazelle7777 this differs with literally every surgery. We all react differently to this procedure. Ice, ice and more ice. It will help reduce whatever swelling you experience.
 
Hello Fellow Hipster:

I hope you are feeling better today. I was about to post while I was in the waiting room on Monday, but they called my name and off I went!

Hope the heartbeat issues resolved themselves. It's so nice that you have help at home. I don't think my insurance covers cleaning, etc., but I have family, friends and neighbors to do the heavy lifting (no pun intended!)

My complication was low hemoglobin, which I mentioned in my recovery thread. I had to have a blood transfusion, which really zapped me out.

OK. I need to go watch a baseball game!
 
Congrats on THR and first day home!

Wow - I thought my insurance was great! I want a maid, too. Ha! I'd schedule joint a month for a maid. How many do I have?
 
Guys,

Feeling much better today. I am off all the narcotics. I am just taking tylenol 500mg twice a day. My nurse took my bandage off yesterday. My doctor knows what he is doing the cut looks clean about 5-6 inches. I had allergic reaction to oxycodone it gives me hives. I was told Monday is her last visit. She said the incision is healing properly. She want to obvserve me injection lovonex properly. Either after monday or tuesday I will cancel my maid service. It's making me lazy, Lol.

Good news and some bad news. Let's start with the bad constipation is serious. I take a medication but and eat a lot of fruits and veggies daily but its tough. Any idea how long that will last? My cane Came today, I am 5'8 but the cane looks like it's 3 feet. :-/. I think they made a mistake. Oh, starting next week a PT and Personal Trainer will visit me 3 times for 2 weeks. Goal is to get me fit me for OT therapy and no looking back.

Enjoy rest of the weekend and @Me2 ask the social worker at hospital about a maid. It never hurts. My social worker just said I got u the total package. Don't worry about anything. Everything is fully covered. :rofsign::loll:
 
I am really happy for you. The first week is difficult, but it will get better. As others have said too, walk carefully, do not overdo it, and sleep as much as you need to. Our doctor is really good, my first scar hardly shows any more, my second one is quickly fading and will be better than the first. Life is wonderful without the constant pain. Have a great weekend.
 
One word: PRUNES! The constipation is a bear, but since you have quit the narcotics things should start moving along naturally.

You sound great! I Am glad to hear all your good news:)
Send the maid to me, ok? ;)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
What worked for me was Colase which is a stool softener in the am and Senokot-S 2 tabs at night. Now the Senokot-S is all natural and works overnight. Both of these can be purchased at Walmart. Make sure you get the Senokot-S vs the Senokot as you need the extra stool softener. I hate prunes and went this route. Don't be discouraged if you have to repeat for a couple of days as you could be pretty plugged up so to speak. I also find that morning cup of coffee helps the process.

Okay then probably enough to get you going...:rotfl:

Take care

Cheryl
 
My cane came today, I am 5'8 but the cane looks like it's 3 feet. :-/. I think they made a mistake.
Is the cane adjustable. If so, have PT adjust it for you. Very important as leaning too far in any direction will result in a limp.

Unfortunately constipation is a part of recovery. Prunes, lots of liquid and stool softeners. Usually take a couple of days.

Not sure the tylenol twice per day will do the trick @Was_86 . Especially since you are only taking 1/2 a dose each time. Read Jo's article on Medications: Tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail . I am taking the maximum dose as she directs and it does work well. The trick is to stay ahead of the pain.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey tylonel 500mg twice a day isn't working. I feel pain when walking. Plus had difficulty sleeping last night. I will speak to my Dr tomorrow regarding pain advice. Prune will be my new best friend until this constipation is taken cared off.
 
@Was_86 if you read the article I left for you (I checked the link and it's now working) it says:

Tylenol
- also known as acetaminophen or paracetamol
The most effective dose is 1,000mg.
This can be taken 4 times a day to a maximum of 4,000mg per 24hrs

So you are basically taking less than 1/2 the dose you can take. Be sure you are not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol at the same time.

Of course check with your doc - but 1/2 dose of Tylenol is just not going to be effective for this post op pain. Are you icing and elevating regularly? I hate to see you suffer when all this can be controlled.
 
@Jaycey thank you. I had horrible rash thanks to oxycodone. I decided to cut down on my pain med as of friday. Very bad idea. Suffered through pain last two night. I am taking 1000mg three times a day. I can do all my exercises except it hurts to walk. I am icing and elevating my leg over 8 hours a day. My loggy leg is improving.
 
@Was_86 glad you are home. Sorry you had a reaction to the pain meds. I am at day 5. Day 3&4 I was mean and angry in the evening. My muscles hurt. Quad and hamstring. Log leg is much better. Don't suffer through pain. It is not worth it and I think it drains our energy. I want a shower so bad. I have a 7 day shower restriction. Only sponge baths for me. You are lucky to have no restrictions. I hope your pain is better today. Remember to rest. And ice ice baby. :chuckmarch:
 
It's been 8 days since my surgery and I feel great!!!!!! I officially graduated to a cane today. First time did climbing up and down the stairs. Walking down is a little hard. Ice, elevate, tylenol 1000 mg, and being 28 and active I guess is coming in handy. I am able to do every exercise She has shown me. She is a super conservative PT. I can't wait for OT therapy. Only problem I am having is trouble getting sleep. I have insomnia. Any advice? Also my thigh feels weird. Some muscle are healed, some are tender and some are still sore. My incision has dried completely. It's exactly 4 inch long. I still can't get my incision wet. Any ideas how to take a shower without getting my thigh wet? Last night. I was able to sleep in my non operate side for an hour. After that I couldn't get turn over. Only God knows how I managed to turn over. Just don't try until fully comfortable, lol. My last fear and question. I am afraid my hip may dislocate or break. It feels great without pain but I am moving a lot. Is that normal? Anyway, enjoy rest of the day.
 
Was 86, great to hear that you are doing really well with your recovery. Which hip did you have replacement and are you going to have replacement for other one too? I went to a OS last week to talk about my hip replacement. I have AVN in both hip and I asked him about the anterior approach. He told me he wont know that is he going to do total hip replacement or surfacing only.He has to make decision based on the damage inside. He has to open it/ incision it to see if resurfacing is enough or total replacement is necessary. But he said he only does posterior approach and the recovery is almost same as the anterior approach. I am going for the second and third opinion this month and next month whom I researched in google and they do anterior less invasive approach and are "great surgeon" as per the google but I haven't met/talk any person who actually did surgery with them.

Anyway, good luck with your fast recovery.
 
Only problem I am having is trouble getting sleep.
Sleep is a major downside to this recovery I am afraid. Don't fight it but rest as much as you can during the day.

Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
I still can't get my incision wet. Any ideas how to take a shower without getting my thigh wet?
Get a waterproof bandage. I have been showering since day 1. Just don't direct the water straight on your dressing.
I am afraid my hip may dislocate or break.
If you obey any restrictions your surgeon gave you and move around carefully for the first few weeks there is little chance of dislocation - certainly minimal for breaking anything. Read this thread about Dislocation and the 90 degree rule. You don't have this with anterior - but it may help to know how to move around in the first weeks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom