Guest viewing is limited

THR I made it to the other side. My recovery thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear what you're saying @Was_86 I "regret" having AVN too... but it's not like it's a decision I made "oh it's about time I got myself some AVN" It's happened TO us, we have to deal with it. I was really hating my "new hip" at about 4 weeks, questioning why I went ahead with the replacement. I am much more 'at peace' with it now, but I have to admit that there hasn't been the oh yes!, lightning bolt moment kind of feeling that many have and I was expecting. I am finding out about things that will be less than perfect in my life with an artificial hip and I suppose the best way to describe it is that I am "jealous" of all those people, the vast majority of the contributors to this forum for a start, who LOVE their new hip and are "so glad" they did it, have "all their pain gone" and all the rest of it. That's not been the reality for me - at this precise moment (at 5 weeks and 3 days) I am about as stiff and uncomfortable (with less pain, asI am still medicating) as I was pre-op - but I am overall more comfortable than I was last week, and projecting ahead see myself more comfortable again next week... which will mean I will be better placed than before the surgery from that point on... and improving instead of declining. You can but hope
My son is a gym fanatic (not that that's how he describes himself), he fractured three vertebra a few years ago (landed on his butt on a bouncy castle... don't ask!) the initial "treatment" nearly did him in mentally as he was not allowed to go to the gym AT ALL for six weeks. Once he resumed training he couldn't do the weights he'd been doing, did in fact have to change his whole regimen... he felt somewhat defeated before he started it (starting 'from scratch' is never easy) but once he started building his new program it actually invigorated him - made him think more about using more of his body less intensely and certainly broadened his range of gym activities. He goes to the gym six times a week again, his overall health is the best it's ever been and he is more aware of all the benefits that training can bring - not just body shaping. If you feel you will have to change your fitness activities (and you may very well not have to) then perhaps - on a good day- you can think positively about what new things you can do, and how it might be okay to mix it up a bit
Most of us with AVN are looking at multiple joint replacement, many are of an age that revision surgery is likely - I, like you, have 'dreaded' it since the day I was told I needed this THR, my first. I do realize I'm probably shortchanging myself as I will be wasting all the "good" days I could be having with this hip waiting for the "bad" days to arrive. I am adopting a wait and see position, if I feel in six months that this surgery was worth it then I'll probably stump up next time, if nothing else I'll have more realistic expectations. The AVN does complicate it as necrotic bone isn't just uncomfortable, it's unstable so you can end up with injuries that leave you with more problems than a joint replacement do, for sure. By all means curse the AVN, I do, regularly... but my Mum always said - and it's become my catch cry - that wishing doesn't make it so, wishing you didn't have it doesn't get rid of it so you need to find the tools to deal with it whatever they are.
Hope you'r'e soon in a better headspace, it seems to me to be as big a part of the "game" as the PT!! Upward and onward and all that jazz
 
I regret having Avn.
Me too - but at least we have technology on our side and we don't have to live a life of pain!
it's finally kicking in that I will need multiple hip replacement during my life times.
You don't know this @Was_86 ! I have been told numbers times that I am young for THR. In fact, I was the youngest patient on the ward 6 weeks ago. More and more surgeons are talking about the forever hip. Please don't worry about any replacements in your future. Technology will continue to evolve and procedures will be simpler. I have seen this in just the short 4 years between my LTHR and RTHR!
 
@Was_86 Technically you are not "guaranteed" a major revision in 20-25 years. You could suffer a massive heart attack or get cancer or die in an accident way before that. Not to sound morbid, but we do not know the day or the time that we will die. So should you suffer with pain for years and years just to hit a certain age to get your hip replaced or should you get it done and live a life without pain? I may be a little older than you at 37, but I will also likely need a revision in the future. My pain is not even enough to keep me awake at night, but it does limit the active life I want to live. I used to run 30 miles per week and have completed 2 marathons. I miss taking long walks the most, and I am sick of having to always "think" about how I walk so I don't limp. I still go back and forth about doing this, especially since my pain is "livable". I hope I am making the right decision. I have 7 kids at home to care for!!!! But those are some of the reasons I decided to go forward.
 
@allegra thank you. I sound like a hypocrite. Before surgery I did my extensive research. In regards to picking a surgeon and getting my life back again. I will not complain about not having any pain or being afraid of falling when climbing up the stairs. My new PT want me to change my exercise routine. He is not big fan of surgeries. He thinks I should do my best to preserve my non operate hip. I kinda agree, overall the surgery and recovery so far has been good. My thigh still aches but managable. My buttock took the beating. I wasn't expecting that There are some bruised left from surgery. Only option I have now is to build my legs. Best way to deal and recover is to have a strong strong. You're young active and mostly a mother of 7. I assume your legs are quite strong. You will be fine. By the way what approach are you having your surgery done?
 
@Jaycey @craftdee thanks ladies. Avn sucks but there are options to treat them. Only options I have left is to move on forward. The only complain I have is having one good hip and one bad hip. @craftdee by the way how is your pain? I believe you mentioned muscle aches top of the knee. Did it go away? For me it just burned. I am half your age. Your recovery is taking longer than mines but hang in there. In two weeks you will better!!!! Summer is approaching in Australia. You can relax under sun!!!! I am just fortunate that I don't have to suffer through pain in vicious winter here.
 
Yeah, thanks for pointing out you're half my age @Was_86 :snork: you are in fact younger than my youngest son, but I am remarkable for my age :rotfl: Thanks too for asking about the pain/discomfort/burning down the front/side of my thigh/knee; it's soooo much better; the Physio said it was my IT Band and Lateralis something or other :what: I had been overdoing "it" - on my feet most of the day and doing exercises, which I did feel able to do readily... and I'd stopped medicating in the day, apparently not the best mix. I had acupuncture, which I've always considered a bit of a crock and the relief was immediate! I've slowed down a bit, and started taking some paracetemol (Tylenol) in the day, though I forgot yesterday and still went okay.:tada:
The biggest problem I have with my recovery is that I had Posterior Approach and it was a bit more complex than the average... I have 12 weeks of restrictions; I am a very active person, I used to work as a labourer when we started our business... we installed swimming pools ... (this whole THR process started with a fall I had while installing our own swimming pool in Feb this year) and the taking it easy thing basically irritates me, and the restrictions really irritate me:badspidy:
They're not so bad when you're not feeling the best, but when you feel you could be doing all your usual "stuff" having to factor in not bending, twisting, stretching, sitting on flat or low chairs, not crossing the midline (try getting into a SUV without putting your feet one in front of the other on the running boards you have to use because you're only 5'1"!) not rolling onto your side while you sleep - or don't sleep because it doesn't come naturally to sleep on your back - gives you a bigger pain in your butt than the new hip ever did:rotfl: Hopefully my no driving restriction will be lifted at my six week check on Friday... I've had a car since I was 17, public transport to my "usual haunts" is pretty well non existent - and I can only survive so many lifts with my 85 year old Dad :yikes: Once I can get out and about without getting help (which I hate asking for) I think there'll be more distractions... though I'm not sure I'm willing to carry the stupid HUGE wedge cushion around the shops (in case I want to sit and have a coffee) like my hubby does for me, he's a trooper! I knew this time would come, it's really good because it means I'm getting back to "well", it's really bad because it SUCKS:rofsign:
I have one "good" hip and one "bad" hip too... though the Xrays I just had for the Rheumatolgist (I hit a lot of the markers for RA or SLE so he wants to rule out those, but I think if I've got Lupus I've had it for at least ten years and there won't be any real changes to make to my lifestyle or medication so it's just a a lot of tests at great expense to the management!) anyway those Xrays which show extensive OA, in the hands, feet, knees, spine - didn't look at the other hip, which seemed odd! So who knows the state of my Right hip, feels okay... let's go with it's okay:loll: They didn't do my shoulders either - probably because they're the one big joint I have no symptoms in. My sister in law, who's a born moaner, says all the time with a dramatic sweep of the hand that she has OA head to foot...head to foot (just in case we didn't hear it the first time- four hundred and first time, lol) and it makes me smile because I have OA "head to foot" and the vast majority of it doesn't hurt at all... if you haven't got two bits rubbing together it pretty much is uncomfortable at worst... the OA in my skull for instance doesn't bother me at all:rotfl: I was disappointed that the OA in my feet is so bad... it means I can't have surgery for my bunion that I finally balled up the courage to ask for; all the OS could offer was to fuse the toe to the foot, err, no thanks at this stage at least!
I'm glad to be going into Summer, though now I'm an old fogey I don't enjoy the heat as I did when young, it does mean my arthritis goes on holiday. I've read there's no proven link between the cold/damp and arthritic pain, as we say in Australia "bulldust" I am that proof... as are many others here I'm sure; they just didn't ask the right people. Our winters (here in Perth) are very mild too, I can't imagine the discomfort in REAL cold weather, it must be terrible.:old:
Well geez, I've ended up doing my normal length post on your thread... sorry 'bout that :) Hope you're getting your head around your new fitness priorities. Look forward to seeing those beefed up legs!
 
@craftdee you're hilarious. Aussies have humor. I am getting a deep tissue massage thanks to you next week. I will let you know.

Questions for moderators or anyone that can help. I have been experiencing knee pain on and off since my surgery. It's mostly outer part of the knee. While scratching my operate leg with my non operate leg I accidentally gazed over my kneecap. It felt my heart stopped beating. It feels bruised. Is it normal? I am not trying to tear my ACL nor trying to have any more surgery. It feels like blood isn't passing through. The knee is sensitive. Any idea what's causing the problem.
 
I have been experiencing knee pain on and off since my surgery. It's mostly outer part of the knee.
Post op my knee pain was worse than any pain from my new hip. They twist and turn your leg pretty dramatically to dislocate your old hip. Are you icing the area? Is there an actual bruise on the back of your knee?
 
@Jaycey my knee cap hurts. I will talk to my PT. My hip can't be, dislocated. I see my dr next tuesday for my first follow up. Let's see
 
@Was_86 Jaycey doesn't mean your hip is dislocated now....only that it was dislocated during your THR!
I've had bad knee pain since my op.....they thought it was due to bad gait prior to op & trauma due Op.......I have OA in knee but doesn't need TKR ..yet! My knee pain was far worse than the hip pain after surgery! Hope your surgeon can shed some light on the problem ....but everything takes a while to settle down after the op x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Was_86 - Sorry, didn't mean to scare you! Hoppy is right - I didn't mean your new hip is dislocated. But when they replace your hip joint they dislocated it to be able to replace it with the prosthesis. My knee was very sore post op and it was obvious they grabbed my knee on the side and back as it was totally bruised. Try icing - it really helped me.
 
Was86
I saw you are having pain and difficulty but think about the coming days and compare with the past days. You will definitely do better. I sometime feel the same way, what if it becomes worst than right now after the surgery but again I see the positive side ,compare with the current; man I can't do anything, can not walk without cane; then I start thinking I am gonna do better. I wish you all the best for the fast recovery. Hang in there ,you are doing great ,

I remember you mentioned that the surgeon followed anterior approach with you ? Can you please tell me what kind of prosthetic is that? ceramic to plastic, plastic to plastic or ceramic to ceramic?
I went to new OS today and he said he is doing a trial along with the 6 other hospitals in US about the ceramic to ceramic approach. He said that is the best option for young patients which lasts almost forever but it is not approved by the FDA so he has to do application for me as trial patient. He said it is in the process of getting approved by FDA, only a matter of time (because they have to meet certain numbers in the trail) but it is widley used in Eurpoe and Austraila.

Was86 and anyone in the forum, if you guys know or researched about this "ceramic to ceramic" please shed some lights. God bless you all
 
@Was_86 Would you be so kind as to create a signature that includes your surgery date? To do this, mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. Choose Create a Signature from the drop down menu. Having the signature really helps us keep track of when your surgery date was....very important when writing responses. THANKS!
 
@Was_86

Just dropping by to wish you a wonderful Holiday season! Hope your recovery continues to go well!

All the best in 2015

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom

Thank You for your wishes!!!! Very thought of you. I am alive!!!! Enjoying my new hip. Tomorrow will be last PT session. I decided to have PT for three months. My therapist is a certified yoga instructor and she has very helpful toward the whole entire process. I will miss her dearly.

Bad news to share as well. Curse you AVN!!!!! My non operated hip is giving me problem recently. I guess having one good hip and one bad hip is not ideal. I am going to wait as long as possible before having surgery done. Other than that life is back to normal. Y surgically repaired hip needs rest after a workout. Muscles around my incision is hard as rock. I have done acupuncture and gotten massages it helps. I will definitely keep you posted when I am ready for my other hip to be operate.

Thanks again Cheryl. :-)
 
Hello Everyone,

Hope all is well. It's been a while since I posted over here. My right hip is fine, left one hurts but not to a point where it's falling apart. Last month, I had a Cervical spine surgery to remove a tumor from C5 spine. Total different ball game. Winter was tough, I wasn't active post hip replacement, after my latest surgery legs gave up. They tapped my nerve. I couldn't walk properly, back in PT strengthen my leg muscles. Anyway, just dropping by to say hello.
 
I had a Cervical spine surgery to remove a tumor from C5 spine.
So sorry you had to go through this. I had spinal surgery years ago and it's not a fun recovery. Nothing like THR. Hang in there. Please keep us updated and thanks for stopping by!
 
Glad your hips bearing up after this setback.....do hope you soon get your strength back @Was_86 after your spinal surgery. X



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom