THR I love my new hip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 Thanks! I've been feeling so good I may have done a silly thing - I've just booked a holiday in the sun for the week after next. :SUNsmile: I think my husband deserves a break before we do hip # 2!

I can't believe how close your #2 is. I'll be looking for all your updates so I can follow along a few weeks after!
 
I don't think that's silly at all @Zelda! Hubby and I discussed taking an overnighter to Santa Monica, but since I developed bronchitis we had to put it on hold. Do you have a firm date for hip #2? I just can't wait to put these THR's behind me and get on with life! One week from tomorrow, as long as my WBC count comes down. Thanks!
 
@Zelda a holiday? That's awesome! Where are you going?? We usually go away for some sun in March, so this year we missed it. I noticed my husband keeps looking up flights and hotels online! I'm having varicous veins stripped next week so that rules a trip out just yet
It's not silly at all Zelda you go and enjoy!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A week in Mallorca! I don't have an exact date but I should come back and get my new hip a fortnight after. I booked it on the spur of the moment...
The silly bit is that my left hip is still a bit uncertain and I don't want to have another incident where it locks and leaves me in agony. I'm risking it because I've been to the same place before and will be able to judge how far things are and what I can manage and I've also booked airport assistance so I don't have to do steps onto a plane or walk miles to the gate.
For the actual holiday I intend to sit in the sun and do as little as possible! I have some gentle exercises I can do in the pool so I'm pretending the whole thing is a medical necessity! :rotfl:
 
Hi @Zelda

Where in Mallorca will you be going? We have been there for the last five years, firstly to Illetas, not far from Palma and the last two years to Port de Soller in the north, which was simply wonderful. I could not think of a better place to chill and sample the local produce!

@Hipster Girl, Mallorca is a Spanish island (part of the Balearics) in the Mediterranean

Peter
 
@Zelda - fab! We were there for the end of their summer last year. Gorgeous villa with pool. I was not great on my pins so would love the opportunity to do some proper walking next time. :walking::running:
We were in theory returning in September as Mr M was due to charter a couple of yachts for a sailing course, but suspect this may possibly be curtailed if my next Op happens ahead of it (due to flying restrictions). Can't think of a much nicer place to recuperate ... Whoop!
 
@PS46 Pollensa, right on the north coast. It's a typically Mediterranean town and not far from a few nice beaches. Not that I can manage sand just now, but I'm sure I can park myself in a cafe and watch the sea! I've been to Soller for the day and took the little railway to the seaside - it was old fashioned and glamorous all in one!

@Miss Muffet I've picked a villa with a pool. All one level, walk in showers and steps with a rail into the pool so in theory even easier than home! Sailing would be amazing there, I think.

Our plan had been for a holiday after #2 but the timing just didn't seem right. I really do have to go back to work at some point this year!
 
Sounds just great @Zelda. We visited Pollensa a couple of years ago and thought it was vg. It's not that far from P Soller really

One of my friends takes his mother (92!) to Pollensa every year. Same hotel, same room - she is now part of the furniture ...

Sadly, I don't think we will fit in a trip to Mallorca this year, because my wife is off to Australia for three weeks visiting family at the end of September. I will probably be working by then, so will be left to fend for myself!

@Miss Muffet, when do you think the next op will be? I am still trying to decide the best time ..

Peter
 
If it helps, @PS46 I would have my second one done now. The first one feels strong enough to cope and it seems less disruptive to life to have one long period of recuperation than to get well and do it all over again. By the end of September you could be going back to work with two new hips!
 
Agreed @Zelda - it's just the exact timing .... my wife suggested I have it while she is in Australia for three weeks in Sept/Oct. I don't think she meant it. Hmmm
 
@Zelda - your villa sounds perfect for a spot of luxurious recuperating. Pollensa is a bit of a yachting spot too isn't it but I think we would be pitched at Palma. What's that huge ridge you drive up to out of Pollensa, then clamber along the walled pathway to a spectacular view of the Med? I'm a wimp about heights - had to hold hands all the way - gave me serious vertigo. Those mountain roads are so windy and steep. I get an attack of tourettes and Mr M threatens to put a paper bag on my head and make me sit in the back of the car.
Port Soller is so flipping old fashioned glamourous - wooden trams clacking down the street and lovely little street fish restaurants and bars. Plenty of opportunities for people watching. Pretty sure the Douglas family's villa is at Soller itself?
@PS46 - timing? Unsure. I sort of assumed I wouldn't know even a possibility till I get my 6 week follow-up. That's in June. My OS said 3-6 months after first would be OK. 3 would take us to July and we're off to Cornwall for Falmouth Regatta Week in August. Mr M is racing and I feel I might still need a spot of back-up by then, which I wouldn't have if he's out on the water all day. As mentioned above we were in theory also due in Mallorca in September for his yacht chartering and I haven't checked if he's cancelled or committed. So I sort of have in mind October .... But then that's not necessarily what would fit my OS's schedule. What are you thinking? It sounds like you've had a good recovery, do you feel ready now?
 
Hi @Zelda and @Miss Muffet

I could talk about Mallorca for hours ..... We love Palma, it is one of my favourite cities, particularly the old part. Brilliant restaurants, great walks and live music. The first time we went, "coincidentally", I noticed that there was there was a Pink Floyd tribute band playing at the university and I dragged my long suffering wife along. We had a top evening listening to a very good band and mingling. There is also a very good jazz club in Palma called "Voyeurs". Last time we went, there was a blues band playing flamenco style. I could have listened to them all night

We are both fish eating veggies and so I have fish every night in Mallorca!

I went on a Segway trip up to the lighthouse and round the bay a couple of years ago in P Soller, but I am not allowed to go on them any more. I am thinking of mounting a charm offensive, to see whether she will change her mind, but I am not optimistic

I'm not sure I have recovered @Miss Muffet as I'm only six weeks, but I reckon I am moving in the right direction. I reckon I have about eighteen months left in my left hip. I sense I am not quite ready yet, but do want to do it ASAP and move on. It is complicated by my wife going to Sept/Oct, so I am thinking late this year/early next, dependent too on surgeon availability

Peter
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom