THR I love my new hip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha, @Simplieme ! I just remember the days when if I'd asked him to join me in the shower he'd have jumped at the chance - these days he just groans and starts looking for the clean compression socks!

Haha isn't it funny how our priorities change? I am pre-op and all hubby keeps saying is 'I won't wipe your bottom.' And I keep assuring him that I won't ask him to and that my mum will be here if I really need anyone! And I tell him there are implements for everything! Haha


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
all hubby keeps saying is 'I won't wipe your bottom.'
Thankfully, I've been able to do that all the way through this process!
Toenail cutting has been a contentious issue. Lately I've been wishing I was cleared to drive so I could just go for a pedicure every week or so! I currently have toenails which look like someone cut them with a machete. :yikes:
 
@Zelda
My toenails also are bothering me but I'm hesitant to go get a pedicure because I think,I'm more concerned about picking up an infection at the pedicure salons. I don't know if our resistance is more low now so we shouldn't do it or not.
BS family,'do you think this is something we need to be worried about for a few months after surgery?
Thanks,
SweetPea69
 
Toenail cutting has been a contentious issue. Lately I've been wishing I was cleared to drive so I could just go for a pedicure every week or so! I currently have toenails which look like someone cut them with a machete. :yikes:
Oh my gosh @Zelda you are not alone!!! I've had hubby cut my toenails and shave my legs :sos: I guess we have to accept graciously and put it right later. It is asking a lot isn't it. ? I too have been ok in the bathroom this go around. But a few years ago when I had really bad back spasms he told everyone he almost thought he was going to have to wipe my bottom - I silently thought - honey you don't know how close you came!!!! :bolt:
Today he kindly took me to a clothes store, because I had a coupon about to expire. I asked if he could help me try things on, and they graciously let us go in the handicapped room. Actually it worked out well, then I didn't need to go out and ask him if he liked the things I tried on.
 
@SweetPea69 It wouldn't have occurred to me that I might get an infection having a pedicure! I would think it would be okay.

@Simplieme I'm not brave enough to let him shave my legs. I might try Veet (is that a worldwide brand?) using my long plastic shoehorn instead of the supplied scraper if I get really desperate!
 
@Zelda
The possibility of infection hadn't occurred to me either til I read your post & then I got to thinking about my 92-year-old mom's expressed concerns with a commercial pedicures So after posting this, I texted my daughter who is an RN. She said she didn't think we would have any increased chance of infection because of the recent surgery. So I'm going to find a place to make an appointment this week. Woohoo! I'm looking forward to it!
Have a great one!
SweetPea69
 
Yes @Zelda we also have Veet. Actually the shoe horn thing is a really good idea !!!!!! Certainly a lot cheaper than a NoNo :heehee:
 
It is amazing how different the after care is from country to country and from surgeon to surgeon. Here in South Africa generally only the most basic PT is given whilst in hospital - which essentially is about how to walk properly. Thereafter you're on your own. I'm in week 4 after a bilateral. I still only do those exercises I was given in hospital. But ... Booooring is a big word in my life at the moment. Only so many books one can read or so many tv programs one can watch without losing da mind
 
I cut my toe nails very short before surgery, but they're becoming a problem. Can't reach down there without discomfort.
 
I've only just realised (after a tiny twinge coming up the steps to come inside) that I haven't needed any pain medication all day. It's been a very lazy day but still I can't believe neither hip has bothered me at all!
:wow: and :wow: @Zelda - fantastic news! Especially after your recent hiccup.
just remember the days when if I'd asked him to join me in the shower he'd have jumped at the chance - these days he just groans and starts looking for the clean compression socks!
Yes, and rather like @Cynthia777 recently commented. When I say it's time for bed - that means it's time for bed (and he knows it) Oh my poor deprived husband ....... :angel:
 
@Zelda - I'm pretty sure my OS said 2 weeks for TEDs ..... I'm going to check up on that one tomorrow at preOp. I will be taking asprin too - what are you on?
 
Hi @Miss Muffet
That pain medication free day was before the left hip flared up. :sad:
I do feel better today, even though I had a reasonably active day yesterday. I just have to stick to the crutches and avoid stairs. I'm pleased I'm not back to being entirely housebound. I'm going to see Gregory Porter next Monday and I've had the tickets for nearly a year - I really don't want to have to cancel!
 
@Zelda - I'm pretty sure my OS said 2 weeks for TEDs ..... I'm going to check up on that one tomorrow at preOp. I will be taking asprin too - what are you on?
I think I have one of those conservative surgeons! Six weeks of socks and 30 days of Xarelto (blood thinner).
But it's worked - the operated hip has had a very positive recovery. :happydance:
 
@Zelda - That pain medication free day was before the left hip flared up. :sad:
Oh dear - I've somehow got out of synch. So sorry!
You've got time before Gregory Porter, so just be a good patient and use those crutches.
Don't think I could bear SIX weeks of TEDS. I promise to do exactly what I'm told like a good girl, but really they are leg claustrophobia!
 
You think we hate the TED hose.....


[Bonesmart.org] I love my new hip...
 
Woo hoo! Had my follow up today - all restrictions lifted, I get to drive again and I can start working towards cutting my own toenails! :heehee:
Don't have it in writing yet but hip # 2 pencilled in for third week in May:yes!:

Plus, I actually managed a night out. :beer: (Only one drink with dinner but it was the first in a while!)
 
Oh @Zelda what good news ! All restrictions lifted - that's brilliant!! :wowspring:
Gosh it won't be long till May !!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom