THR I love my new hip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a lovely day here so I got myself settled outside for a while this afternoon and I've only just realised (after a tiny twinge coming up the steps to come inside) that I haven't needed any pain medication all day. It's been a very lazy day but still I can't believe neither hip has bothered me at all!
:wowspring::flwrysmile:
 
It certainly does, @Cynthia777 ! I was reading where you said you missed changeable weather - you really should visit Scotland. We've had rain, sunshine and snow all in the same days recently.

I went to my physio appointment today. I was a bit apprehensive because of all the talk here of squats and clamshells but it was lovely. I've to keep doing the gentle exercises I have already and just try to build up the distance I can walk.

Another sunny day here too - I can tell in a few weeks I'll be itching to get into the garden and get everything looking beautiful. I'm going to have to find a willing slave among my family to come and do all the heavy work!
 
I've been to Scotland many years ago and I must say its one of the most beautiful countries I've visited over the years! So green, unlike here in the Southern California high desert!
 
Does anyone else get swollen ankles after exercise?
My hip and thigh don't seem to get sore but if I've been walking or had to climb stairs, I get thirsty and then the next thing I know my ankles are all puffy.
 
Sounds like it was a connection between your ankle swelling And your thirst, but I don't know what it is.

I am having a lot of success keeping the swelling down with my Revitive machine, I think is made in the UK but I brought it over here.
here is a picture
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I love my new hip...
    image.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 338
So now I've just spent half an hour looking at various foot massage machines on Amazon!

Sitting with my ice packs on my feet brings it down but as I'm still wearing these compression socks any swelling round my ankles can be quite uncomfortable. In fact, I would love to sit and dangle my legs in a jacuzzi right now...
 
It's not a foot massager, it's a TENS machine., but they call it a circulation booster. It is available in the UK
I've had a TENS machine for a long time, it really helps my back. I've found it helpful for my hip too pre surgery. This one you don't have to stick pads on you, you just sit with your feet on it. I can feel it working right up my ankles and calves
I'm not wearing the compression stockings. In hospital I had one on my good leg and pumps on both legs. They said I didn't need stockings when I went home. Although I probably should be wearing them as I'm scheduled for various vein. stripping April 29th. They're such brutes to put on.


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
I did look at your one, @Simplieme but then I got distracted by the massagers! It seems a lot of money when the ice works for now but if it keeps being a problem I might think about it again.

My surgeon makes you wear the socks for six weeks. I'm not allowed to put them on myself because of the 90 degree rule so my husband is getting quite good at it! I did read people here saying you don't need them but I feel like all the other advice and treatment I've had has been good so I'm being obedient.
 
So now it's a whole month since surgery. I walked a mile through the forest yesterday and then had a mammoth 3 hour nap afterwards. I haven't felt that tired in ages. The good news is that it gave me relatively little pain or stiffness in either hip. This morning I'm a bit achey all over but I think that's because I haven't walked that far in about four or five months. I still can't manage a full staircase without suffering and even the smallest slope seems daunting going downhill but I think that's as much the old hip as weakness in the new one.
My incision looks more like an old scar already. I had a shower this morning and toweled it dry without thinking about being careful. Now I just can't wait to get my restrictions lifted and be able to wash and dry my lower legs and feet myself. Also looking forward to being able to drive again and be able to bend down to reach the bottom shelf of the fridge!
I can't believe how quickly this first month has gone and thank you to everyone here for being here to share it all with.
:flwrysmile::happydance::cheers:
 
It was beautiful. I take it for granted sometimes but I really do live in a wonderful part of the world. It was nice just to be outdoors for a bit too.
 
Yup ain't that the truth !


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
@Zelda So glad you went for walk. That walk sounded beautiful. It appears your recovery is going along smoothly!!
Have a good day tomorrow
 
Today I am declaring my freedom from the compression socks!
:wowspring::flwrysmile::happydance::spin::cheers:

I was told to wear them for six weeks and I'm two days off that but I just couldn't face another day.
I don't really have any six week milestones. The left hip feels like it is holding me back and I'm not so tired all the time. I am starting feel some movements coming more naturally. Just can't wait for #2!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom