THR I love my new hip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zelda
Great news Zelda!! I bet that felt wonderful to finally be at the stage where there are no more restrictions!! Your second hip is just around the corner. :happydance:
 
I was quite nervous before the appointment because I'm still on the two canes and I wondered if I was making proper progress but in the end absolutely no concerns.

I've been experimenting gently this morning and I can touch my toes without any feeling of tension. That was the one movement I retained before surgery so at 7 weeks I have all the movement I had before, plus a little bit extra and no pain. I hadn't been able to get my foot up to get socks on in over a year so I think I'll have to work on reminding my body how that works. I'll see the physio later so I can ask about the best way to do that.

Thanks for all your good wishes - it makes such a difference having you all here to understand quite why I'm so excited about this!
:wowspring::flwrysmile::yahoo:
 
Touch your toes?!! Way to go. I was going to suggest that it was getting towards summer and you could just decide to go without socks but then I remembered your in Scotland. About the same latitude and climate as Seattle so I guess we are both going to learn to put our socks on.
 
Just thinner ones @Zelda!

I am five weeks post op now and had my third physio today

I am now doing quite a bit of work unaided, which feels quite weird and exciting at the same time!
Peter
 
@PS46 - seriously though. That sounds like great progress. These are all milestones I will relish!
 
Very amusing @Miss Muffet! No idea where that came from - I meant "walking" - not sure I can blame predictive text for that ....

All the very best for yours - learning the Uke as part of your post op rehab could be a very enriching experience!
 
I am envious of you walking unaided, @PS46 ! I'm sticking (ha!) with my two sticks for the duration. My husband has a ukulele but he abandoned it as too confusing compared to guitar. :rotfl:

I've been at the physio too and have some new exercises to strengthen the op leg without annoying the un-op one too much. Went for lunch after that and then pottered round a few shops. Had to have nap when we came home but a busy couple of days with very little complaint from either leg so I'm feeling good!
 
Hi @Zelda - sounds good! Funny how these milestones are a real achievement

One of my mine was to go on a slightly longer car journey with my wife and have a coffee, which duly occurred about a week and a half ago. I felt so pleased about it

I have an excellent outpatient physio who is supportive, but encourages me to do a bit more without being too pushy. That is how I dropped one of my sticks. She also said that one day I would walk without a stick and not even realise I had done so, which is exactly what happened and it will to you too

Ukes and guitars are similar, but both have their difficulties, not the least of which is their relative size, plus they do not have the same number of strings of course. A good reason for playing a Uke, (mine is going to Cornwall in June) is that you can take them on holiday

My wife might have a different view ...
 
Today's milestone...

I got my socks on all by myself - no aids at all!
:yes!::happydance::dancy:
I still can't bend my leg the way you would normally do it but I can sit with my legs straight out in front of me, hook the sock round my toes and drag it up from there! That's a first for this year.

I also drove to the shops and back. I think the energy drain has finally shaken off. I feel I can do things again and not be exhausted afterwards. My right leg seems to be strong enough now to do its share of work and more so the left one is complaining less too. I reckon if I wasn't waiting for #2 I could think about going back to work at least part time. It makes me feel good about the timing for the second one. The school holidays mean I should have a 12-13 weeks to recover which is reassuring.
 
I know! I was thinking I hadn't been getting much better but when I look back at posts from a couple of weeks ago I can see so much improvement.

How are you doing? Feeling good?
 
@Zelda yes I'm doing good thanks. Amazing how these things we were worrying about suddenly disappear. I'm working on the groin pain now, and I think (?) I have a solution to that "
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering what your solution was!
 
Oh @Zelda lol I thought you meant my bad auto text. !!
I have a very different PT she doesn't give you a whole bunch of exercises, off a sheet . She works on the whole body, based on the psoas being the centre and has to be strong, and everything aligned. I haven't seen her since my surgery but I have now started her stretches and am seeing her in a week or so. You can look it up
www.staminatherapy.com
As Josephine often says it's the psoas that is the cause of a number of butt and groin pains.




RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom