THR I love my new hip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha @Zelda - there you are! I suspected you'd flown the coop.
And floating in a warm pool - what heaven! :swim:
You'll be very happy to hear we had typical Bank Hol weather, managed to squeeze in a spot of sleet and snow flurries. :snow dig:
Crazily enough they're predicting 20 degrees by the end of the week :cool::SUNsmile::cool: (when are you back?) - but don't mention this to our US buddies (they'll think that's freezing cold)
I'll give my OS the third degree at my 6 week follow-up about flying - he did say 3 months, but if I can wangle a little soujourn down to Mallorca I will get Mr M galvanised.
I read your enthusiasm for getting your Leftie sorted out - but you've not got long to go now have you.
Your break over there is perfectly timed. Great organisation. Keep in touch!
 
@Zelda oh that sounds awesome! I think that was a great idea to take a break, relax and refresh before your next surgery.
I'm looking at going back to work in a couple if weeks. My boss said to "see how I feel" so I told him I felt like laying on the beach in the Bahamas. :heehee: He walked right into that one !
 
Hi everyone!
I can't tell you how good the sunshine and working in the pool are making me feel! I don't know if it's because the left still limits me but I'm amazed at what my new hip will do this week. I've been standing in the pool trying out motions of the breast stroke froggy kick and I swear it's as wide (if not as strong) as it ever was. I've not had to take any pain killers aside from my anti-inflams since I got here but I'm still walking the same distance every day as I did at home. If I didn't have pre-op next week I'd be staying here!
 
Positively tropical in Gloucestershire today - may even give my shorts an airing at the weekend ...
 
@Miss Muffet If you are thinking of a holiday, check your travel insurance. I couldn't get insurance for anything related to my left hip because I'm scheduled for surgery. The operated right hip, no problem, but not the pre-op one. I think Saga do insurance covering pre-op hips but they wouldn't accept me because I'm too young!
 
congratulations, @Zelda side effects are it seems to have turned you into @Miss Muffet :rotfl::heehee::hugzz: the emoticon queen. I hope all goes well for you. Still watching progress. :flwrysmile:
 
@Zelda - thanks for that .... hmm something to think about but presumably you 'risked' it because you felt reasonably confident you wouldn't be doing anything that would cause any damage?
@PS46 - steady now ..... :yikes:
@shirleyH - rude! (How are you doing?) :console2:
 
@Miss Muffet I decided to go for it - I'm in Europe with an EHIC so if anything awful happened it would just be the costs of inconvenience (extra flights and accommodation) we'd have to pay rather than the actual medical treatment.
I might have chosen otherwise if we hadn't been in the EU with all the associated shared healthcare systems!
 
Ha, no offence meant @Miss Muffet, doing ok thanks but noticing lots of leg pain when I sit down to watch tv, bit of
restless leg syndrome I think combined with using my muscles again. Just hope I can get off the codeine soon. Hope you are ok.
 
@shirleyH - it's ok (we're old friends!) yes I got the RLS too, it's eased up as I've gradually increased walking. Overdoing it is not to be recommended though ......
@Zelda - so sorry to hear you've had a downer. Is it possible you may have over-exercised in your enthusiasm to do lots in the pool? Only thing is you'll be doubly sure that other bothersome hip needs to be taught a lesson.
 
I really didn't over-exercise - that was the frustrating thing. And it really wasn't too bad but I just need to keep the end of this process in mind because without it, the limitations on life can seem entirely overwhelming. I think I may have sat on the squishy sofa for too long as I was engrossed in the Masterchef final week! I did miss my "granny" chair while I was away!

I'm home now - another good journey being zipped through the airport by scores of lovely people. It was interesting seeing bits of the airport you don't usually get access to and coming home was the quickest I have ever managed from the plane to the car. I really would recommend it to everyone pre-op and in pain.

Now totally rested and focused on the new hip. This is going to be a week of gentle tidying and cleaning as I get my Lady Lair and the rest of the house back into prime condition for recovery.
 
Sounds like that might be the cause. And it was an exciting final - I was gunning for Jane to win, what a brave and incredibly talented lady

On the whole it sounds like the holiday was a big success and it will have you perfectly poised for phase 2 which isn't far off now. That sunshine boost and relaxation will really be beneficial. Hope you've got it nice up there (very tentative enquiry) we've had a hot and humid night and it's looking like another garden day today. Better soak up what we can - may be tobogganing next week!
 
The sun is just starting to poke through the clouds and it feels like it might get warm soon. My garden has whooshed into life while I've been away but the year of neglect (my husband is not a gardener and get hay fever quite badly) means there's a fight going on between weeds, nettles and the plants that are supposed to be there!
 
I've been having a read through of this in anticipation of hip #2 and it is funny to see all the ups and downs and how my perception of my progress changes.
Although I started by saying that the new hip felt stronger than the left one, I think that's only really true now. I think the lack of pain and the inceased flexibility made me think the new hip was stronger because it's the only in the last week that I'm aware of putting the majority of my weight onto my right leg as I stand in the shower or to do the cooking. I think working in the pool helped a lot - I was struggling to balance just on my right leg until then and I notice now that if I walk without my sticks I'm not wobbling to the right any more.
I'm hoping that I'll be able to get walking a bit more with #2 and build up strength that way. I'm gently optimistic and have bought some pots and flowers for the garden that I should be able to water and tend right from when I get home from hospital. It'll give me something to do in the garden and hopefully stop me attempting bigger jobs. Everyone keeps telling me how nice it will be recovering over summer but I think it will be quite frustrating looking at the garden rioting out of control!
 
I'm gently optimistic and have bought some pots and flowers for the garden that I should be able to water and tend right from when I get home from hospital. It'll give me something to do in the garden and hopefully stop me attempting bigger jobs. Everyone keeps telling me how nice it will be recovering over summer but I think it will be quite frustrating looking at the garden rioting out of control!

I could have written those last two sentences. But what a good idea, buying some flowers to tend when you get home. :flwrysmile:
 
I agree on the potted plant idea! It's going into winter here in Aus which I am glad for, and hopefully by Spring I will feel like getting outside- if I can't do it I might be able to get hubby to help - he's very house proud so surely I can wrangle him to do my dirty work. Not at satisfying as doing it myself but at least it will get done.


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I've just had my mum round cutting grass and doing some tidying up in the garden! I'd hoped I'd be able to do it myself but the left hip has decided that the end is in sight and given up entirely so instead I had a nice afternoon directing the gardening from a chair on the decking!
 
On the final countdown now ... back packed and ready to set off tomorrow. :running:
Not sure if I've missed what time you're due so let us know if you get a chance.
Am more than slightly envious ... so if you have a change of heart tell 'em I'll take your place please:friends:
 
Ha ha! Nope. I am desperate! I've been sitting round twiddling my thumbs all day pretty much counting down the hours. I'd even packed my toothbrush at one point and had to unpack it again when I needed it!

If all goes the same as last time, I should be done by lunchtime. Hopefully I'll be able to post a cheery morphine-fuelled update at some point tomorrow.
:spin::chillpill::loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom