Guest viewing is limited

THR I love my new hip...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Miss Muffet that's St Vincenc, maybe?
The windiest roads are round about Deia, I think - did you watch The Night Manager? The Mallorca bit was set there. We drove Soller to Palma once and in between windy roads and dodging cyclists and tour buses, it's probably not something I would do again!

@PS46 A segway sounds just what I need to get around just now. I was just thinking I wouldn't manage Palma this time around but now I wonder if they do Segway tours!

I know I keep saying this but don't rely on those 18 months with your hip. I thought I would be able to carry on for an extra six months with my right (my original plan was the right one in May this year and the left in May next year!) but it went downhill so fast I ended up begging for a quicker date.
 
Agreed @Zelda. As my new hip gets stronger, so I can feel the inadequacy of the other one. There's no chance I can or will let it drag on for eighteen months, it will be twelve months max. It's one of my "Agenda" items for the surgeon on Friday
I thought "The Night Manager" was one of the best things the Beeb has done for a long time, probably since "Life on Mars". The scenery shots were stunning and made we want to leap, OK limp, onto a plane to Palma immediately. I would be very surprised if you could not find Segway trips in Palma. Last we took the bus from P Soller to Fornalux (hope I have spelled that correctly). What a beautiful, peaceful village. Have you been there?

Peter
 
I haven't. I'll it sounds just what I need though!

I agree about The Night Manager. I think the BBC need to do more of that kind of thing and less Stacey Dooley goes to Far Flung Place. Maybe that's just me showing my age!
 
Congrats on your next surgery date! You will be all done and dusted before you know it.:egypdance:
 
Yay! Not too long!! Congrats


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
Thanks @shirleyH . All seemed to go smoothly - hopefully you will be able to see my post

Hope all ok with you and you are managing sone rest!!
Peter
 
Good for you @Zelda on your surgery date! I found once I had my first THR, I just wanted to get past all the
pre-op rigmarole! There's such a feeling of comfort in knowing the surgeries will soon be a thing of the past. Although I know what to expect and having had such an easy recovery with my first hip, I still find I'm experiencing some anxiety. Nothing like the first pre-op period, but the anxiety still rears its ugly head here and there (predominately showing itself by messing with my sleep). Will be rooting and praying for you. :-)
 
Thanks all!

@Cynthia777 I'm sorry you're feeling anxious, especially as you've had a lot of pre-op bits and pieces going on! Part of me doesn't want to be too confident about #2 because I have a weird idea that I'll jinx it somehow but I keep telling myself not to be silly! Did you get all your tests back for next week?
 
@Zelda
I'll be getting the results today, but even if my wbc count is a bit high and hasn't gone up, my PCP said he will give me the clearance. Thanks for asking! :-)
 
That's a relief. I think the uncertainty is the worst of all!
 
You know @Zelda, you mentioned not wanting to "jinx" hip #2 and I realized I'm feeling the same way as you. My first op went so well that I fear I won't be so lucky with the second op (I always feel if something really good happens, something equally bad has to happen to keep things balanced...I'm ridiculous)!

I'm so happy you have your surgery date so you can look forward to putting this journey behind you. :-)
 
You are so right @Zelda! Although no two hips are alike, having an excellent surgeon and know you're in good hands is comforting. My anxiety is a bit different this time. I feel a bit more agitated for some odd reason. HOWEVER, all the worrying in China won't make a bit of difference in our outcomes. I'm so good at blocking things out except the few days before surgery. Hang in there, we can do this! :-)
 
Yes, we can!
[Bonesmart.org] I love my new hip...

Do you have Bob the Builder in the US?
 
@Zelda - We're 2 weeks away from left hip restoration work. How are you? I like to think of myself as a classic automobile going in for refinements. Original warranty has expired, but replacement parts are available. "Value" only to increase. :heehee::driver:
 
@Zelda - I'm all out of sync here and missing updates. Just seen that you have a second Op date. That's great. Now you'll have to remind me when you're in Mallorca - or are you there now? In which case how did you get clearance to fly ... I've been told 3 months.
 
@Sommers16
@Miss Muffet
I'm in Majorca just now and enjoying the weather. I'm having a very chilled holiday and LOVING having a pool.
:swim:

I can do all my exercises with the extra support for the bad hip and the gentle resistance of the water for the new one but the best thing is just floating with no strain on any of my joints! I was told just walking in the water would strengthen the new hip and it really does feel good.:flwrysmile: I'm also not needing the cocodamol which means I can have a few holiday drinks here and there!

I was told I could do short flights at 7 or 8 weeks post-op but not to attempt long haul for about 10 months. It was 2 hours 30 mins here and felt okay. I wore my compression socks and did my ankles pumps and had a walk up and down the aisle when I felt myself stiffening up. I had been a bit worried about the flight but more for the old hip than the new one. I booked special assistance at the airports so I was wheeled through check-in, security etc. and put on a lift up to the plane so I didn't have to do any steps or walk any distance. It was a fantastic service - all very smooth and easy with lovely, friendly people pushing me about! It does take longer (although we got to skip the passport control queue) and there was no time for browsing through Duty Free or getting a snack but I'm really glad I did it. It meant I could save my energy for when I needed it rather than just walking through miles of corridors and shops. They do put you in a window seat so that if there is an emergency you're not impeding anyone which is a bit of a sobering thought :dubious: but I can understand why.

It was still a tiring journey and I spent the first day here just dozing but my energy levels are back up and I can manage short walks around the town. It is making me desperate to have the second hip and be able to do more which is a good thing as it overrides any nervousness about the upcoming surgery!

I hope you're both doing well. If you have access to a pool I heartily recommend it for recuperation. It feels much better than those nasty clam-shells!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom