Revision TKR I just got my new knee.

Angel,
Recovery is an up and down process, good days, bad days, over time more good days than bad. You are only a few days from your revision, the weather is cold and stormy, all of which can stir up your knee.
Hang in there, it will get better,



I'm trying lol. Home health be here tommrow. This is bad weather. My road is still sheet Ice. I guess all this made me sad cause partial I could move better.
I ain't over do it.

Although fills weird when I stand up. First steps is so hard.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You'll be OK, @Angel1978

You still have the gel packs for icing that you got the first time you had the knee done, haven't you? You don't need an ice machine, because you can use them again.
You don't need a machine to help you move the knee either. Just keep bending it and straightening it a little bit.
Use Aspirin as a blood thinner, as someone advised you.

It's going to work out all right. :friends:



I know I just want the ice thing lol.
I have this on way. But I have some soft gel packs to. I found them at flea market. I am getting antsy. I just want it all to be over with. I can't bend good. I can't walk good. But I have been doing the excerise while wait on therapy to come. lATTACH=full]30453[/ATTACH]




ATTACH=full]30452[/ATTACH]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.
    ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1425698115.886206.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 191
  • [Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.
    ImageUploadedByBoneSmart Forum1425698279.063919.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 214
Those Gelpacs were just the same things that Used after my BTKR seven years ago.

They worked fine for me, and I am sure that they will help you out a great deal, too.
 
Those Gelpacs were just the same things that Used after my BTKR seven years ago.

They worked fine for me, and I am sure that they will help you out a great deal, too.



Thanks. I can't wait for the big gel one to come in. But they aren't as heavy on my knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm restless. My leg ache. Took pain pill. Every which way I can't get comfortable. I've read materials all read over and over.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Angel hope they get some thing for you to help with the pain. I found the ice helped but my wrap holds two ice packs so if the middle seam where they meet touched my scar I it and it could make things a little sore. I did not use an ice machine just ice packs just needing to make sure you have something along with the packs like a tea towel or wash cloth just to keep the ice from touching your skin. I did elevate but that was sometimes when I had pain we are all different.

Lots involved to this surgery I have not had a partial replacement just total replacements and not sure how they do a partial but sure they are different. It is a difficult time of the year to be confined but better now then when the nice weather comes so cold outside better keeping warm then when nicer you should have chances to get outside more. I felt the same way but just a little while outside happy to come home how quick you can get overtired takes more effort to get around with the snow and new knees.

Try to get some sleep maybe do some reading if you like to . I did my cross stitch but found at the early part kept falling asleep so now feeling better and having more time to stitch. The worse part for me was needing to keep getting up for bathroom aside from that did not move alot but things are better now. Slow and easy my knee today is looking even better a little bit a day but this is at 10 weeks so just takes time. Hope you get your medication all sorted out can you call and ask if something else could be prescribed for you.

My medication was morphone and it really helped my surgeon prescribed it for my knee 2mg pills took two every 4 to 6 hours they made my skin a little itchy at first but better then the pain of the knee. Gave more relief then the pills they prescribed last surgery. I hope you have some relief from this do not do anything that will hurt you take your time walking hard to do when needing frequent trips to bathroom but use your walker for your support do you have a commode to use on your toilet or portable one that can be moved close to where you are to save the extra walking this is what my husband did for me kept mine near either upstairs or downstairs so not so much climbing stairs and then just up and back make it as easy for you as you can not needing to go to far.

Hope you get some sleep this helps needing sleep harder to do then it sounds though as you know. Hope you feel better Holly
 
What worse Is I have a husband who I lie about he is no help. He is a fat drunk. Meaner than **** to me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Life sucks. I do have the ice packs. Sad part is I don't have no one who cares but kids. My hub is trash. Waiting on the day for him to leave. He is garbage. It has to be his way or we all get the rap for it.

He was mad cause I did not and could not lay his lunch out for work. I'm like ru serious. He malks me calls me fake. And all kinds stuff. Thank God kids at granny's. He won't do it around them. Cause he did and they told on him.


I brag then he starts. After is all over and he is mean to me. I love u. Oh I'm sorry. Oh or won't happen again. Blah blah. What a life.
Anyways sorry be be blabbing.


No idea how I quoted lavender post. With out what I was typing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Angel hope they get some thing for you to help with the pain. I found the ice helped but my wrap holds two ice packs so if the middle seam where they meet touched my scar I it and it could make things a little sore. I did not use an ice machine just ice packs just needing to make sure you have something along with the packs like a tea towel or wash cloth just to keep the ice from touching your skin. I did elevate but that was sometimes when I had pain we are all different.

Lots involved to this surgery I have not had a partial replacement just total replacements and not sure how they do a partial but sure they are different. It is a difficult time of the year to be confined but better now then when the nice weather comes so cold outside better keeping warm then when nicer you should have chances to get outside more. I felt the same way but just a little while outside happy to come home how quick you can get overtired takes more effort to get around with the snow and new knees.

Try to get some sleep maybe do some reading if you like to . I did my cross stitch but found at the early part kept falling asleep so now feeling better and having more time to stitch. The worse part for me was needing to keep getting up for bathroom aside from that did not move alot but things are better now. Slow and easy my knee today is looking even better a little bit a day but this is at 10 weeks so just takes time. Hope you get your medication all sorted out can you call and ask if something else could be prescribed for you.

My medication was morphone and it really helped my surgeon prescribed it for my knee 2mg pills took two every 4 to 6 hours they made my skin a little itchy at first but better then the pain of the knee. Gave more relief then the pills they prescribed last surgery. I hope you have some relief from this do not do anything that will hurt you take your time walking hard to do when needing frequent trips to bathroom but use your walker for your support do you have a commode to use on your toilet or portable one that can be moved close to where you are to save the extra walking this is what my husband did for me kept mine near either upstairs or downstairs so not so much climbing stairs and then just up and back make it as easy for you as you can not needing to go to far.

Hope you get some sleep this helps needing sleep harder to do then it sounds though as you know. Hope you feel better Holly



Hy lavender I have potty chair and high ride thing to fit over toilet

I use both. My house is all One level it's long. But bedroom closer than bathroom. So if I want short walk it's to bedroom. Or long to bathroom but I take showers to to try and relax. They said I leave dressing on.;) lol don't relax me at all. Make me wana bubble bath. I do get real tierd on try to walk. It's all different. So it's new to me. The walker is my best friend. I am afraid of falling. Walker So I keep it close to me. I don't have no steps just the ones to get me in and out of house. And won't be going out. Took a lot to get up them to get in house. I try set in recliner. I try to do small easy bends. And leg slides. But have stop or I cry. Feeling tiered. Just not want sleep.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Angel Sorry you are having a hard time maybe your husband is feeling helpless he might want to help but maybe not knowing how. This surgery takes a toll on us with the pain and stuff but also takes a big toll on those who are trying to take care of things not really knowing your circumstances but knowing how hard my husband tried doing so much and still me having pain. You have just got out of surgery only 5 days ago still so many things you are adjusting to and your knee does not know what happened to it.

I was awake for my surgery did not know I would be awake but it really helped me to understand why our knees have so much to adjust to hearing lots of strong sounding hammering, and other equipment it should have scared me but did not as found it interesting listening to them talking about their Christmas gifts for family things they were excited about and happy to have found my surgeon was talking about china figuines he bought for his wife and saying he was happy he found them she would be excited. They the surgeons are like us hearing them talking making them even more human doing surgery before the special day the stresses that we all feel happy sounding people all working together to give me my new knee and this relaxed me as they were taking care to make sure my knee would be the best they could make it very professional and very caring.


Take on thing at a time try to do whatever you are doing as easy as you can you have a brand new knee it is like a baby it needs gentle care so much care needed to do this surgery. It takes time but still early and when you look back in a few weeks you will see you have done very well not something that can be rushed. Easier to try to stay calm this will help with the pain and your well being. I am very lucky my husband has been there for me all the way along and he has as I know had a lot to handle. My last surgery he had both my Mom and me to get in and out of our car walk with each to get inside so not slipping taking us each one at a time to make sure we were alright he had a lot to deal with believe me more then he should have had. Pain can make things seem even worse maybe I am wrong but in my case everything seemed more difficult at times need to go slow my husband kept saying what can I do is there something you need. this stress is not easy for our care giving people either. Staying in is not easy but after going out seeing how much I enjoyed going out but often happy just the same to to come in and have time to sit just little bits to start till feeling stronger.

Our bathroom is upstairs 14 stairs making it a long climb but one step at a time taking rests inbetween not in a hurry so like my husband said no need to rush. I think you will be just fine just need to relax and find something that will pass the time do you like movies maybe you could watch some movies we did this loved it but fell asleep lots so missed them but they relaxed me . It takes time you are only 5 days in so it will take time when you feel better weather should be nice and then you will probably feel better Hope things get better. You need the help so just let them help you you need them so much as they will be the ones that make sure you have what you need . Not trying to tell you that your do not have a reason to be upset with your husband not saying he is wonderful do not know your circumstances but maybe he is as scared as you are trying to do it right worried you will get hurt . Knowing my husband was was afraid that I would fall when he went for groceries or fall out of bed or on the stairs and did his best he did amazing. Just wondering do you use a cane going up and down stairs I do this really helps Little baby steps add up to big steps in the end and taking the baby steps and getting rest will make the steps along your way much easier and less painful. All the best wishes Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Angel1978

A full TKR does feel weird. I used to call mine my log leg! It drove me crazy at first x x x

This is for you.....with love....
[Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.

Sending you big hugs xxx
Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Hi @Angel1978

A full TKR does feel weird. I used to call mine my log leg! It drove me crazy at first x x x

This is for you.....with love....
[Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.

Sending you big hugs xxx
Love Nana moon 27 x x x

Aprwciate it so much. Sometimes I just want to give up.
Thanks Nana moon 27.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Angel1978

If I had a pound for every time I wanted to give up, especially in the early days, I would have been filthy rich!!!!
You have to focus on getting well for your kids sakes. They need you. I focused on my grandkids.

A TKR can be slow in the early days. I cried so much in the early days and after. Click on the blue link it will show you .... I've copied two main things I felt might help you gauge your recovery. I hope you don't mind me doing this? It is with good intention.


Healing: how long does it take?

Re: How Long Does Healing Take .......

[Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.


And this link...Activity progression for TKRs

Walking and other activity
Walking is about the best exercise you can do but again, you need to moderate your time and distance.
Always use your walker, crutches or canes as appropriate, only moving from one to the other as you gain confidence or until as advised by your PT or physio.
Don't be despondent if you have to go back once in a while in the early days.

Week 1
Minimal PT just gentle heel slides and a few leg lifts before you get out of bed in the morning
Walking around the house - trips to the bathroom and kitchen are included!
Be up on your feet several times a day as you need to but don't get obsessive about it
A 5-10 minute walk every 3-4 of hours is plenty

Week 2

Start on a plan of walks around the house lasting longer than 5-10 minutes but don't
a) get into too much pain and
b) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.
Exercises to 10 minutes twice a day

Week 3

Lengthen the walks to about 10-15 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your knee to swell or be painful.
Activity: prepare yourself a small meal or a snack
Exercises: increase to 15 minutes twice a day, maybe add 5 minutes on an exercise bike; don't worry about full rotations yet

Weeks 4 and 5
Increase walks around, out in the garden or street, to 20mins, longer if you feel up to it.
PT can now get serious but never ever overdo it. Exercise bike 10 minutes and try for full rotations if you can
Exercises: the same as previously

Additional activity:
Gather a little bit of laundry, or put it in the machine, or take it out but not all of it
Now you can do a little dusting and tidying; do a little meal prep (for yourself not the family!)

Weeks 6 and onward

Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.
Exercises: as before

Activity: a little ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after. Wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, NOT you!!

Week 10
Bed making and changing sheets, cleaning bedrooms etc., can wait now by which time, all things being well, you should pretty much start getting back to normal.

But if it takes a bit longer, don''t worry about it.





Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Nana moon 27. Just so sad. So weird. Read all of it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You have to take it easy @Angel1978, it's a very challenging and often tiring recovery x you will have good days, not so good days. Those are the times you pray strongly. Don't forget to take your pain meds on time x (((hugs)))

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
You have to take it easy @Angel1978, it's a very challenging and often tiring recovery x you will have good days, not so good days. Those are the times you pray strongly. Don't forget to take your pain meds on time x (((hugs)))

Love Nana moon 27 xxx




Yay me not not. Nurse came. Felt leg. Called ambulance. So was forced go er.
[Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.
[Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.
[Bonesmart.org] I just got my new knee.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Home health came. They saw redness. They felt heat. And he was worried about the swollen place on right side.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom