Revision TKR I just got my new knee.

Angel1978

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
United States United States
It's very painful. Each day I'm getting stronger. Wish I knew easy exercises to lift and bend. The one the staff gave me is hard lol.

MD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mary :) Wow! You are so young to have to go through this. Can you explain to us what exercises you were given to do? One of the forum moderators @Jamie should be along shortly to give you a list of things you can read here on Bonesmart that are very helpful. You're only 5 days post op so you shouldn't be expecting to do a whole lot yet. The main thing right now is to ice, ice, ice and ice some more. And keep that leg elevated. Until your swelling goes down some you're pretty limited as to what exercises you are able to do.

Welcome to Bonesmart I agree that the first two weeks post op are about allowing your tissues to heal. Here are the library articles that we recommend to post op posters!! They are all short and informative

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Hi Mary.
Welcome to Bonesmart :welome:, glad you found us.
Be sure to read the articles Skigirl left you, they are sort and easy to read.
When you get a chance please add your surgery date to your signature, just hover over your user name, top right, click on signature and add your date there, Thanks!
Right now the best thing you can do is to rest and allow those injured tissues to heal, you will get plenty of activity just getting up for the bathroom, meals, grooming , etc.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,

Hi, welcome to BoneSmart.

Don't do anything that hurts, it isn't productive. How cool is that?

Thanks for all the rally's. Lol was just surf Internet and found u all. But can't reply to u all don't know how. I am being easy. I am going crazy in the house. I wana go out some maybe to practice crutches. Walker is hard for me.

But can't reply to u all don't know how
Posting to this thread is all you need to do, it's all about YOU here. We are here to answer your questions.

We've just about all been there, done that. I know I gained greatly from this board; I can't pay it back to those that helped me, but I can pay it forward -- and that's what many others are doing, too. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the advice. I am olny 36. My knees have been bad for many years. I just put it off. Scopes olny helped me for a short time. I had no cartleadge in my knees at all. And I was young enough to be able to get a partial. He said that I had good in my knees so he did not wana cause me no more trouble. He also put something in there shock absorber I think. I was so scared. I have my hubby before he go work and then my kids before they go to school to help me. And on my own till kids and hubby here. I just do what I can while I am home. Not trying to over Do it. I set and cry so hard. I don't sleep at night. My legs was alsways bad. Becuze I was knock knees. So my doc is fixing it. Can't wait to be able to bend and squat. But time time. He said he had to flip my knee cap over. And realign my knee.

The excersises that j was given has no names lol. 1st set in a chair extended and pump like a gas pedal. 2 leg lifts Which I can't do. 3 toe lifs and turn them in circle. 4 extend bad leg put good leg in front and gently pull back to bend it. I'm 65 degrees to bend. And wxcercises machine is 75. 5 lay on bed put roll towel behind knee cap and flex and hold. 6 set up on side bed and slide leg side to side. That's all. I've requested and new therapy lady. Cause last one was being mean. I said I can't lift she said yes you can. U can use a walker and crutches u can lift. Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I said I can't lift she said yes you can.
A friend of mine who is a PT thought people who could not lift their legs after joint replacement were faking it. Until he had a hip replacement, and could not lift his leg. :heehee:
Glad you have requested a different PT.

Hi @Mary Davis

Try to just relax, don't push yourself or overdo it. Do you not perhaps have some family or friends who might pop in? People, inc family, don't always think to offer to help especially if you've always been the strong in control one. It doesn't hurt to ask xxx

You are so young for this surgery. You are only a year younger than my eldest daughter. My second daughter has horrendous problems with her knees.

Mary, this is a recovery that is going to take time. Unfortunately there is no fast or easy way of recovering. All you can do us rest, elevate, ice. Watch movies, phone a friend, play games on the tablet or laptop. This place is an excellent place for support. Some of us have our own spot in the social room as well. I have a coffee, stop and chat shop in the social area. You are most welcome to pop in anytime. There is a direct link to it under my signature. There is also my recovery thread too, there is a direct link to that too x

My biggest advice to you Mary is don't measure or compare your recovery with others. We are all individual as people and the same applies to our recoveries x x x

Take your meds by the clock to keep your pain down too xx

Good luck Mary. There's always someone around for you on here. You are not alone...you are amongst friends xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx

@Mary Davis
Welcome to BoneSmart and thank you for becoming a member.:)

I didn't start exercises until 3 weeks out and then was put back on crutches for a month. And I am fine.
Your knee is healing, it's had a lot, I mean a lot done to it so treat it like an injured body part and be nice to it.

Good for you for getting a new PT. :thumb: We appreciate gentleness here and when the swelling goes down, you'll be able to bend it better without someone trying to force it.

He said he had to flip my knee cap over. And realign my knee.
Very standard stuff; many of us watched Youtube videos of the operation prior to surgery.

Not trying to over Do it. I set and cry so hard. I don't sleep at night.
Lots of icing will help. And be sure to keep up on the pain meds too. As for sleeping, that will come with time; take catnaps when you can for now.

We are here to help! This is an international forum so the whole world is here to help you!

Nana not I just have kids and hub.
Hub leave 620 till 400
Kids leave 73o 300
So much alone.

SonnysWife❤️

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it. Xxx been in bed all day. Lots pain and spaZisms.

SonnysWife❤️

Yes, it does sound like you may not be taking enough pain medication. I need to know what your medications are (name, strength, dosage you take and how often you take a dose). Also, how frequently are you icing and for how long?

Call you dr and let him know you are in lots of pain; sounds like you are not taking enough pain meds.

I'll tag our forum moderators who are knowledgeable on pain meds. @Jamie @Jaycey
Mary, what are you taking and how often?
I take tylonal with codeine. Perk 10 make me sick so given zophrsm and flrxeral 10 evey 4 hr on perk. If in pain before 4 hrs then can take a tylonal with codeine. And flex every 6 hrs Usually have take tylonal to. Or ibrupution. It's mainly night or if I'm comming ØFf cpm or if I've did wxcercises. Docs is aware. He said ky would be hard on me. My patella was removed. He said it be more pain but shorter recovery. Lots I'ce and elevation. But last night I was able to sleep 3 hrs on side with pillow and use under a thin pillow case. I don't like pain Meds. And pain is like a throb. He aslo told me that I would fill pain I've never felt before. Cause muscles I'm leg never worked before. And when they wake up as he nurse and therapist said would be uncomfortable. The spasms is what gets me. Thank for the letter. Any idea would be helpful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back